Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 13:24 
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The whole, lots of them are going crazy being in somewhere which is seemingly safe thing seems true. They have been out there for so long they just can't adjust. But it seems like they need people who know what they are doing there if their first instinct is to run whenever something goes wrong. The Michonne smash at the end of the latest episode was great though. As well as the little flashback to her slashing walkers with her sword.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 14:20 
Gogmagog

I thought
Carol was lying about the Doctor. She wanted him out of the way, and had the use of Rick to do so, so that she could then run the place through him. This obviously has not worked well. I suspect she will try and use Michi to the same end now as she's probably the safest bet in the eyes of Alexandria to hold order as long as the pax romana exists. Glynn will do whatever he is told unless it is crazy, still.

Next episode there will be a distraction caused by something and this W person will open the gates and flood the town with his attack walkers which are probably not very dangerous. One might say armless. Ahem. After this happens, Daryl will appear on his motorbike, push open the gate whilst grimacing and crossbow everyone he does not know, saving all. And the doctor will redeem himself but get killed by Rick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 14:42 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm hoping for more comedy revolving door action, preferably with yakkety sax playing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 15:14 
Sleepyhead

With Rick:

I thought he dealt with it in a vaguely sensible manner to start with. I mean, he went to the leader and said it had to be stopped. She refused to consider it, and Rick (and moreso Carol) insist that this might get the lady killed. The only options presented were to exile him or kill him (assuming he refuses to be nice). Rick's right; if they just exile him then he'll likely come back to kill the girl. You can't just send them off and hope they won't come back to your easily scalable wall!

Obviously he then didn't necessarily need to go full on with the chap and could have tried to work it out more so he and his group would appear in the right, but they had just lose one kid and possibly another due to the residents being useless and weak.

I think he appeared crazy at the end, sure, but it wasn't exactly a huge departure. He was trying to protect his group.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 15:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Rick didn't throw the fist punch, there. And that little speech he gave was right out of the comic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 15:24 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, but he egged him on (geddit?)!

Also, any time the quality of dialogue drops you can generally attribute it to being from the comics :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 22:22 
Hibernating Druid

Can't find "an back up" link for episode 15 :( Any ideas chaps?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 22:29 
Hibernating Druid

Might have found it now.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 23:46 
Hello Hello Hello

I cannot say enough that nzbplanet and Tweaknews are your friends for all your backup needs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 20:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Finale is v good so far. Carol is utter mentals

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 21:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Brilliant season finale. Brilliant brilliant brilliant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 21:25 
Hello Hello Hello

I'd call it a decent season finale. (Just finished watching it now.)

It's set things up going into the next season on a fairly solid basis, and it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out with the 'Wolves'.

So yeah, a solid hour of telly but not amazing either - however it'll certainly hold my interest going into the next season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 21:34 
INFINITE POWAH

OH FUCK OFF BOLLOCKBOY. You'll enjoy it more once you've been able to toss one off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 22:01 
Bad Girl

Excellent finale to an excellent season and excellent series.

And, if you missed it, like I did, here's a link to the post-credits bit.

https://vid.me/PddM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 23:37 
Sleepyhead

Really enjoyed it.

Lots of little swerves and unexpected turns.

Really sets it up for next season too.

I assume the Wolves aren't just those two chaps, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 0:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Those zombies sure are physically strong though aren't they?

As in when Rick went one-on-one with something that's been undead for a couple of years, and Rick's a well-fed, healthy, experienced zombie killing machine - that fucking zombie was strong! I'd expect muscle atrophy and suchlike to have kicked in, since the rest of their deterioration is apparently accurately mapped out.....

Oh yes and also, really, LEAVING THE FRONT DOOR OPEN? I know it's supposed to telegraph how the Alexandria folks are a bit rubbish and that, but come on, saying to the newly arrived crazy Priest, 'Oh make sure you close the door there old chap' and then walking off to check the plants or something - pfffft.

Yeah it was an hour of good telly but it's still got gaps so wide in it you could drive cavalcades of tanks through them. Which is what will probably happen next season when THE WOLVES turn up, since they're clearly going to get their money's worth out of that set.

'Luck runs out' says Rick, AND YET THEY WEREN'T THE ONES WHO WERE NEXT TO DEAD THROUGH STARVATION AND THIRST A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO - and now you just want to kill however many is required to takeover. LOL.

Lest we forget they had their own 'Alexandria' in the prison, and they lost that motherfucker, so that's 1:0 to the Alexandria folks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:23 
Gogmagog

zombie muscles do not need oxygen to work. They do not produce lactic acid. Also, There is no feedback loop like in humans to say "keep doing this and damage will happen" (epipherine does switch this response off by degrees, interestingly). So, that is like human with the safety switches removed.

Also, zombie had prime position after he caught Rick on the hop from behind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 
Hello Hello Hello

So where do the zombies get that sort of physical strength from? They've seen fit to have them deteriorating on the outside as would be expected over the timeline of their existence (as per your earlier posts, although I'm not convinced they've been consistent about that), and yet all of a sudden one of them can pin Rick to the ground like an MMA champion?

The only real threat I'd expect them to pose at this stage is in large numbers (as happened to Glenn and Aaron), yes Rick took on three there but even so, once he'd despatched the first two I wouldn't expect the third to go mano-o-mano like that.

And lest we forget they wouldn't be there at all if the imbeciles hadn't left the front door open. I was wondering how the zombies were going to eventually get into Alexandria ('cause it was clearly going to happen at some point), I'd actually thought 'I hope it isn't something as shit as someone leaving the front door open'. AND THEN THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

I say again, it was good telly and I enjoyed it and I'm not cussing it up or anything, but it wasn't ZOMG AMAZING either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:52 
Gogmagog

in my experience of the Underground Dogfighting Pits of West Yorkshire, a 80 lb labrador is pretty determined and a pain to throw off one it lands on you. Fighting g a zombie would be worse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 

Presumably they get their strength from the same completely unexplained thing that allows them to be still walking around despite being dead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:56 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Presumably they get their strength from the same completely unexplained thing that allows them to be still walking around despite being dead.

The desire for brains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 
Sleepyhead

They're zombies, FFS!

Also, the guard on the gate is clearly a religious person, as he asked to speak privately with the priest and seemed to hint that he does not like gay people. As such, and since he doesn't know the priest is a psycho, it wasn't as stupid as it seems to let him close up. And even if you think it was stupid, that just reinforces that the Alexandrians need help as they are naive and keep getting themselves killed in stupid fashion!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 
Excellent Member

Thought it was OK, I had sort of forgotten that this was the season finale and was left thinking a couple of more episodes would have been nice to finish the season off.

Still leaves you wanting more so AMC have done a good job!

There is also a prequel show coming soon as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:20 
Excellent Member

Didn't like the finale.

It just ended too neatly for everyone. And it sets the next season for the same Prison Vs Governor dichotomy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 13:53 

Why does nobody think to get hold of a long range radio set? It would be a pretty essential bit of kit and people across the country would have certainly been using them to contact each other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 14:00 
Hello Hello Hello

That's a daft idea, it makes far more sense for two vulnerable individuals to just drive 50 miles to a random location like Daryl and Aaron did, and then vaguely wander around hoping to find someone that isn't a zombie or a horde of zombies.

The fact that Alexandria has managed to sort out solar power and running hot water and even a reasonable supply of chocolate is neither here nor there. Fuck radios!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 22:17 
Sleepyhead

Did you miss the bit where Alexandria was built as a self-contained Eco town for rich people? Everything apart from the wall was already there. They can hardly take credit for stumbling upon the perfect place to stay!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 13:12 
Hello Hello Hello

SPIN OFF SERIES NOW LIVE.

'Fear The Walking Dead' - S01E01 available from good online retailers. I'll watch it tonight and report back. The Guardian's review of it is fairly positive.

For those who don't know, it's set before The Walking Dead, starting in the opening days of the outbreak.

Hopefully it's better than what TWD had turned into.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 13:37 
Sleepyhead

TWD is awesome, fool!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:45 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
TWD is awesome, fool!

Don't argue with him you fool! You're just asking for another lecture on how the zombies don't make any sense!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:48 
Hello Hello Hello

BUT HOW DO THE ZOMBIES GET THROUGH WINTER, EH?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
BUT HOW DO THE ZOMBIES GET THROUGH WINTER, EH?

Because they are zombies....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah! Must resist! I'm not doing all this again :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:06 
Bad Girl

I've just watched two episodes of Hannibal back to back and then watched Fear the Walking Dead.

Turns out, Hannibal has ruined TV for me because the gory zombies were just not cutting it for me. It was ok for a first episode although there are bound to be a few moments where people will just be bemused at what the characters are doing which is never a good sign for a new programme. Some of the actions and reactions of the characters didn't seem believable (well, as believable as fiction gets in a made up world) to me.

And I was missing the more sedate pace of TWD than the high school rock music on display here. Hopefully that will dissipate once people start dying and the producers can be more relaxed and create a decent TV thriller like the main programme than a slock horror/low budget disaster movie which is the direction it appears to be heading.

Episode 1: meh.

Episode 12 of Hannibal: ZOMFG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 21:50 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
SPIN OFF SERIES NOW LIVE.

'Fear The Walking Dead' - S01E01 available from good online retailers. I'll watch it tonight and report back. The Guardian's review of it is fairly positive.

For those who don't know, it's set before The Walking Dead, starting in the opening days of the outbreak.

Hopefully it's better than what TWD had turned into.

My wife refuses to watch this, she loves TWD and has said this won't be as good and doesn't understands why they can't make the seasons of that show longer

She has a point in some areas I think!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 22:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Episode 1 of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD reportage.

I thought it was pretty good, like 6.5/10 stuff maybe. Certainly a reasonable setup episode in that I know who everyone is and what's going on in their lives. A bit too much soap opera gubbins in the middle and I got a feeling that the stuff I really wanted to see (the early stages of the zombie outbreak) were losing out to cheap soap opera routines - but a strong final 15 minutes brought it round.

Definitely going to be onto the second episode next week, as the end of episode one only really takes it to 'OK, something is very wrong here' territory.

Cast seems decent enough, protagonists alright, script and acting mostly solid.

Zombie effects were fine too.

Keen to see the next one for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 
Bad Girl

I've been thinking about it and from a plot perspective there was no need to go back to the church twice in the episode to do the exact same thing.

There was the jump scare of the first time pops heads down there and so any tension had evaporated on the second (pointless) visit. There wasn't even the thrill of the expectation that something might happen as they are in and out after a brief look about. They cover the same rooms we had seen before; the same blood on the floor we had seen before and ... then they leave. Pointless.

5 minutes wasted which could have been better spent dragging out other better scenes.

Such as the dinner table. A great sequence. I wanted the camera to slowly pan after the dining room as junkie guy walks to the table in anticipation of some horror, but he's over there in a flash and it's straight into the dialogue.

Then some crap in the aqueduct which I didn't like. Why didn't anyone say "He's got the virus!" or similar? Junkie guy hasn't even seen the terrible TV footage so his laboured reaction (get in driver's seat, turn key, engage reverse, peddle down etc) seems odd as he's just finishing off his victim with the car (oh and I'll reverse over him too) whereas he should be going mental as his nightmares are happening again in his head because he doesn't know about the virus and zombies.

Anyway. It was alright.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 21:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Episode 2 of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD is good!

Not a massive amount of, y'know, zombies - but it's a fascinating change of pace in the zombie genre to watch the world change from normal to FULL OF ZOMBIES. (Although it isn't FULL OF ZOMBIES yet.)

If Episode 3 was available, I'd definitely go straight on and watch another.

I think it's a bit less gory than The Walking Dead, I notice that Fear has 'TV 14' notices whereas TWD was 'TV MA', but it's not really doing it any harm so far, but I suspect it means that we won't be seeing quite the full-on gore that TWD liked to dish up.

Overall I'm enjoying it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 22:46 
Bad Girl

Let's not go nuts.

It was below average at best. Certainly better than episode 1 but still not great.

It hasn't got the quiet horror of TWD. If it was a film it would be a B-rated zombie film with a bunch of cocks you couldn't care less about. Not only do we get the stereotypical moody teenager but we get two of them. It's all a bit daft and produced for the mass market but you know what hurts the most: it's got the TWD name on it. We know that TWD is popular and found a name for itself not because it was the first zombie TV programme to market but that it did something different to normal telly. The glacial pace, the low lingering shots, the outstanding production. They shoved a bunch of dickheads in there and we still didn't care because it was so well produced. It made a star of Shane. Shane!? So if TWD is a horror movie then FTWD is a straight to DVD movie.

It's simply o-k.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 23:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Opinions innit, for my money TWD has dragged on for too long and there's not very much I find interesting about it anymore. (Yes I'll watch Season Six and I'm sure some of it will be good, but I still think they could have wrapped it up already and told all the stories that needed telling.)

FTWD is at least a new perspective on the whole thing, watching how the world goes to shit rather than starting off in a world of shit - and that alone buys it a decent crack of the whip in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:12 
Excellent Member

Second episode was as Blahhh as the first. I don't know why i keep watching. It seems i haven't got anything better to do...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 
Decapodian

I like it, and get a real sense of impending doom that the characters are as yet unaware of.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I like it, and get a real sense of impending doom that the characters are as yet unaware of.

That's what I like about it, the new perspective on the zombie apocalypse.

In TWD it's like 'Right, yeah, zombies everywhere, still strong enough to go one-on-one with Rick in a wrestling match despite having been dead for 547 days, I see you have established the set where most of this season will be based for cost purposes, blah.'

FTWD is a nice change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:06 
Decapodian

TWD zombies are getting pretty soft and mushy by now though - it doesn't take that much to squish them into entrails.
In FTWD they are still nice and sturdy and take a lot more to kill. Whether that's done as a plot point or just because they aren't going for out and out gore in this show.....?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
TWD zombies are getting pretty soft and mushy by now though - it doesn't take that much to squish them into entrails.
In FTWD they are still nice and sturdy and take a lot more to kill. Whether that's done as a plot point or just because they aren't going for out and out gore in this show.....?

Did you not see that zombie in the last episode of Season 5 of TWD? That motherfucker was like a WWE champion, despite having been dead and going 'squishy' (not that squishy!) for 547 days.

OK it might not have been dead from the start, but even so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 
Sleepyhead

Maybe it would deteriorate on Day 548.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 
Bad Girl

I don't know how much zombies weigh (not least because the answer is that they all weigh different amounts) (and are made up), but I once had a stack of soggy cardboard boxes fall on me and it was bloody hard to get off and appeared to weigh a ton.

So, the fact of the matter is:

1) Stop it. Stop. It.

2) My wet cardboard story is the closest anyone has ever been trapped by a zombie lying on them.

3) Zombies are made up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm right up to date on FTWD, Episode Five of Season One, there's only one episode left in the first season.

Overall it's good, but certainly not great. Missed opportunities ahoy IMO.

Having an entire episode without a SINGLE FUCKING ZOMBIE in it was certainly a..... bold choice.

Setting up the military as the enemy instead of the zombies seems strange too, since we know how it all pans out thanks to the existence of TWD.

Also the time jump from the end of Episode 3 into Episode 4 was bizarre, even if it was only nine days. These are the times we're most interested in, how the world goes to shit in the early days of the outbreak, and yet they decide to skip nine days and then give us a fucking soap opera episode.

I'll stick with it into Season Two, and Episode Five was pretty good, but they'll need to do something dramatic to close out Season One IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 16:08 
Bad Girl

The time jump of 9 days? Agree completely.

No zombies? Yes there were. 1) Sniper scene 2) School splosions.

Bad military: I wasn't happy with that at all. They appear to have gone from zero to fucking mental way, way, waaaay, too soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
The time jump of 9 days? Agree completely.

No zombies? Yes there were. 1) Sniper scene 2) School splosions.

Bad military: I wasn't happy with that at all. They appear to have gone from zero to fucking mental way, way, waaaay, too soon.

1) I have a horrible feeling it's budget constraints, far cheaper to do an episode on a normal housing estate in America with a fence around it, than attempt to show the collapse of society with zombies and stuff.

2) Episode 4 I mean, no zombos in that.

3) Not sure what there angle is with this at all, hopefully it's going somewhere but since we know the military fail (as per TWD) it seems to be a storytelling dead end.

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next