Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:48 
Hello Hello Hello

BUT HOW DO THE ZOMBIES GET THROUGH WINTER, EH?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 14:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:

Because they are zombies....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah! Must resist! I'm not doing all this again :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:06 
Bad Girl

I've just watched two episodes of Hannibal back to back and then watched Fear the Walking Dead.

Turns out, Hannibal has ruined TV for me because the gory zombies were just not cutting it for me. It was ok for a first episode although there are bound to be a few moments where people will just be bemused at what the characters are doing which is never a good sign for a new programme. Some of the actions and reactions of the characters didn't seem believable (well, as believable as fiction gets in a made up world) to me.

And I was missing the more sedate pace of TWD than the high school rock music on display here. Hopefully that will dissipate once people start dying and the producers can be more relaxed and create a decent TV thriller like the main programme than a slock horror/low budget disaster movie which is the direction it appears to be heading.

Episode 1: meh.

Episode 12 of Hannibal: ZOMFG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 21:50 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
SPIN OFF SERIES NOW LIVE.

'Fear The Walking Dead' - S01E01 available from good online retailers. I'll watch it tonight and report back. The Guardian's review of it is fairly positive.

For those who don't know, it's set before The Walking Dead, starting in the opening days of the outbreak.

Hopefully it's better than what TWD had turned into.

My wife refuses to watch this, she loves TWD and has said this won't be as good and doesn't understands why they can't make the seasons of that show longer

She has a point in some areas I think!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 22:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Episode 1 of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD reportage.

I thought it was pretty good, like 6.5/10 stuff maybe. Certainly a reasonable setup episode in that I know who everyone is and what's going on in their lives. A bit too much soap opera gubbins in the middle and I got a feeling that the stuff I really wanted to see (the early stages of the zombie outbreak) were losing out to cheap soap opera routines - but a strong final 15 minutes brought it round.

Definitely going to be onto the second episode next week, as the end of episode one only really takes it to 'OK, something is very wrong here' territory.

Cast seems decent enough, protagonists alright, script and acting mostly solid.

Zombie effects were fine too.

Keen to see the next one for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 
Bad Girl

I've been thinking about it and from a plot perspective there was no need to go back to the church twice in the episode to do the exact same thing.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
There was the jump scare of the first time pops heads down there and so any tension had evaporated on the second (pointless) visit. There wasn't even the thrill of the expectation that something might happen as they are in and out after a brief look about. They cover the same rooms we had seen before; the same blood on the floor we had seen before and ... then they leave. Pointless.

5 minutes wasted which could have been better spent dragging out other better scenes.

Such as the dinner table. A great sequence. I wanted the camera to slowly pan after the dining room as junkie guy walks to the table in anticipation of some horror, but he's over there in a flash and it's straight into the dialogue.

Then some crap in the aqueduct which I didn't like. Why didn't anyone say "He's got the virus!" or similar? Junkie guy hasn't even seen the terrible TV footage so his laboured reaction (get in driver's seat, turn key, engage reverse, peddle down etc) seems odd as he's just finishing off his victim with the car (oh and I'll reverse over him too) whereas he should be going mental as his nightmares are happening again in his head because he doesn't know about the virus and zombies.

Anyway. It was alright.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 21:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Episode 2 of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD is good!

Not a massive amount of, y'know, zombies - but it's a fascinating change of pace in the zombie genre to watch the world change from normal to FULL OF ZOMBIES. (Although it isn't FULL OF ZOMBIES yet.)

If Episode 3 was available, I'd definitely go straight on and watch another.

I think it's a bit less gory than The Walking Dead, I notice that Fear has 'TV 14' notices whereas TWD was 'TV MA', but it's not really doing it any harm so far, but I suspect it means that we won't be seeing quite the full-on gore that TWD liked to dish up.

Overall I'm enjoying it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 22:46 
Bad Girl

Let's not go nuts.

It was below average at best. Certainly better than episode 1 but still not great.

It hasn't got the quiet horror of TWD. If it was a film it would be a B-rated zombie film with a bunch of cocks you couldn't care less about. Not only do we get the stereotypical moody teenager but we get two of them. It's all a bit daft and produced for the mass market but you know what hurts the most: it's got the TWD name on it. We know that TWD is popular and found a name for itself not because it was the first zombie TV programme to market but that it did something different to normal telly. The glacial pace, the low lingering shots, the outstanding production. They shoved a bunch of dickheads in there and we still didn't care because it was so well produced. It made a star of Shane. Shane!? So if TWD is a horror movie then FTWD is a straight to DVD movie.

It's simply o-k.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 23:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Opinions innit, for my money TWD has dragged on for too long and there's not very much I find interesting about it anymore. (Yes I'll watch Season Six and I'm sure some of it will be good, but I still think they could have wrapped it up already and told all the stories that needed telling.)

FTWD is at least a new perspective on the whole thing, watching how the world goes to shit rather than starting off in a world of shit - and that alone buys it a decent crack of the whip in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:12 
Excellent Member

Second episode was as Blahhh as the first. I don't know why i keep watching. It seems i haven't got anything better to do...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 
Decapodian

I like it, and get a real sense of impending doom that the characters are as yet unaware of.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I like it, and get a real sense of impending doom that the characters are as yet unaware of.

That's what I like about it, the new perspective on the zombie apocalypse.

In TWD it's like 'Right, yeah, zombies everywhere, still strong enough to go one-on-one with Rick in a wrestling match despite having been dead for 547 days, I see you have established the set where most of this season will be based for cost purposes, blah.'

FTWD is a nice change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:06 
Decapodian

TWD zombies are getting pretty soft and mushy by now though - it doesn't take that much to squish them into entrails.
In FTWD they are still nice and sturdy and take a lot more to kill. Whether that's done as a plot point or just because they aren't going for out and out gore in this show.....?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
TWD zombies are getting pretty soft and mushy by now though - it doesn't take that much to squish them into entrails.
In FTWD they are still nice and sturdy and take a lot more to kill. Whether that's done as a plot point or just because they aren't going for out and out gore in this show.....?

Did you not see that zombie in the last episode of Season 5 of TWD? That motherfucker was like a WWE champion, despite having been dead and going 'squishy' (not that squishy!) for 547 days.

OK it might not have been dead from the start, but even so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 
Sleepyhead

Maybe it would deteriorate on Day 548.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 
Bad Girl

I don't know how much zombies weigh (not least because the answer is that they all weigh different amounts) (and are made up), but I once had a stack of soggy cardboard boxes fall on me and it was bloody hard to get off and appeared to weigh a ton.

So, the fact of the matter is:

1) Stop it. Stop. It.

2) My wet cardboard story is the closest anyone has ever been trapped by a zombie lying on them.

3) Zombies are made up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm right up to date on FTWD, Episode Five of Season One, there's only one episode left in the first season.

Overall it's good, but certainly not great. Missed opportunities ahoy IMO.

Having an entire episode without a SINGLE FUCKING ZOMBIE in it was certainly a..... bold choice.

Setting up the military as the enemy instead of the zombies seems strange too, since we know how it all pans out thanks to the existence of TWD.

Also the time jump from the end of Episode 3 into Episode 4 was bizarre, even if it was only nine days. These are the times we're most interested in, how the world goes to shit in the early days of the outbreak, and yet they decide to skip nine days and then give us a fucking soap opera episode.

I'll stick with it into Season Two, and Episode Five was pretty good, but they'll need to do something dramatic to close out Season One IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 16:08 
Bad Girl

The time jump of 9 days? Agree completely.

No zombies? Yes there were. 1) Sniper scene 2) School splosions.

Bad military: I wasn't happy with that at all. They appear to have gone from zero to fucking mental way, way, waaaay, too soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
The time jump of 9 days? Agree completely.

No zombies? Yes there were. 1) Sniper scene 2) School splosions.

Bad military: I wasn't happy with that at all. They appear to have gone from zero to fucking mental way, way, waaaay, too soon.

1) I have a horrible feeling it's budget constraints, far cheaper to do an episode on a normal housing estate in America with a fence around it, than attempt to show the collapse of society with zombies and stuff.

2) Episode 4 I mean, no zombos in that.

3) Not sure what there angle is with this at all, hopefully it's going somewhere but since we know the military fail (as per TWD) it seems to be a storytelling dead end.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 16:23 
Bad Girl

3) is setting up episode 6, isn't it: The escape as both places get razed to the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 
Hello Hello Hello

So that's Season One of FTWD finished, and in all fairness the last episode was a cracker.

HOWEVER -

So we're basically in the same world as TWD now then are we? From the final shots of the episode the cities are ruined and in flames, there's no power, the rule of law has gone, the army has given up and abandoned the population, it's every man for himself. Doesn't that already exist, and it's called THE WALKING DEAD?

Good episode though, sets up for Season Two quite nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 23:23 
Bad Girl

Yeah, that was alright I suppose, even if there was a shit ton of drama cliches along the way and some pretty terrible scenes of supposed heightened drama.

The Walking Dead-lite by any standards. Kinda like The Walking Dead for people who don't like The Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
The Walking Dead-lite by any standards. Kinda like The Walking Dead for people who don't like The Walking Dead.

Well they did manage an entire episode with no zombies in it, so it's possible that's the idea....

I noticed that the episodes flitted between TV-14 and TV-MA, with the TV-14 episodes really being rather tame, whereas TWD is solid TV-MA through and through.

Hopefully they'll dispense with TV-14 entirely for the next season of FTWD, and we'll get proper zombie gore every episode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:58 
Excellent Member

FTWD kinda works for me in the sense that you get some zombie-related stuff to watch in between while waiting for another season of TWD, which should be starting today if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 13:38 
Gogmagog

Dr W wrote:
FTWD kinda works for me in the sense that you get some zombie-related stuff to watch in between while waiting for another season of TWD, which should be starting today if I'm not mistaken.

Tonight in the uk. Tonight! La la ls la la. La ls ls. Tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:23 
Sleepyhead

As a celebration, I have been listening to lots of Emily Kinney songs and watching her videos and generally being in love with her.

(She played Beth)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:40 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
As a celebration, I have been listening to lots of Emily Kinney songs and watching her videos and generally being in love with her.

(She played Beth)

I happened across some pictures of her yesterday from an episode of Masters of Sex and it turns out that her ability to look like she's about twelve is even more disturbing when she's naked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:43 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

(She played Beth)

I happened across some pictures of her yesterday from an episode of Masters of Sex and it turns out that her ability to look like she's about twelve is even more disturbing when she's naked.

I haven't seen a 12 year old naked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:44 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

(She played Beth)

I also came across those pictures/video. She does look quite young, but she's actually 30. Without wishing to be harsh on the lovely lady, she's more attractive in her music videos than in MoS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:51 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:

The zombie irus clearly keeps some tissues alive and some functioning. We know this because zombies can locomotive and perceive changes in their environment (incidentally, they could be classed due to these reasons as Alive due to their ability to reproduce). If the zombie whatnot made cells produce elevated levels of methanol it could act as an antifreeze.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:28 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Dr W wrote:

Tonight in the uk. Tonight! La la ls la la. La ls ls. Tonight.

Just checked, now available on youtube.All I have to do now is wait until it's dark......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:32 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

The zombie irus clearly keeps some tissues alive and some functioning. We know this because zombies can locomotive and perceive changes in their environment (incidentally, they could be classed due to these reasons as Alive due to their ability to reproduce). If the zombie whatnot made cells produce elevated levels of methanol it could act as an antifreeze.

....or they could simply wear the latest in Gore-Tex outdoor fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Or put the fire on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:35 
Excellent Member

Or have a swig of Captain Morgan's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 20:47 
Hello Hello Hello

So S06E01 of TWD was pretty good I suppose, I'll give it a 7/10.

Decent amount of zombie action going on which is more than you can say for FTWD so far, although I'm not really sold on the entire premise of the episode. (Or indeed the whole Memento style COLOUR/BLACK WHITE scenario.)

There's a big quarry nearby where all the zombies have ended up, but they're starting to escape from it and shortly they will INVADE Alexandria, in some sort of targeted zombie assault, even in a massive land such as America. This explains why Alexandria has survived thusfar, so what they need to do is, erm, get all the zombies out of the quarry, and lead them somewhere else. Fantastic plan.

Overall I'd say neither FTWD or TWD are particularly firing me up (TWD is well past its best IMO), but they're worth the time it takes to watch them, and Episode Two does at least promise some very splattery zombie hijinks.

Finally, it took me a while to remember what the fuck everyone was up to at the end of Season Five, it was one of those rare occasions when PREVIOUSLY ON THE WALKING DEAD would have been quite good, but nothing was forthcoming apart from a couple of very brief flashbacks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:11 
Excellent Member

Not exactly high quality dialogues either. They seem to follow a certain pattern like:

"Ya good?"
"Yeah, I'm good."
"Naw ya not."
"Told ya I'm fine!"
"These walkers are out there, we gotta stop 'em."
"We can't, it's too risky."
"But we have to!"
'OK, everybody do as Rick says!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:24 
Excellent Member

Oh yeah, about that massive horde of undead in the ditch or quarry (or whatever it was) - instead of luring them out they could have grilled them. A few Molotov cocktails would have done the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:28 
Decapodian

I'd have given that a go beforehand. Would have thinned out the horde at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:33 
Excellent Member

My thoughts exactly. It hust might have been less thrilling.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or petrol might be one of the most important resources they have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:37 
Excellent Member

You'd only need a few gallons plus you wouldn't waste ammo, a valuable resource as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A few gallons?! How many where there?

(Note that I've not seen it yet so, er, don't answer ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:47 
Excellent Member

2000 maybe, but all crammed in that ditch, so for the moment they couldn't really go anywhere. Flame a few and they'll set each other on fire, sort of like a chain reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:51 
Excellent Member

Oh bugger, I actually did answer. Sorry for that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:10 
Gogmagog

But then you have 2000 zombies that want to eat you. And are on fire. A bad situation just got a lot worse. You'd be as useful as Mr Chris on my Zombie Killin' Team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:47 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

We need to hear Crasters theory for a solution before we decide on what could possibly have been the worst course of action.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:51 
Hello Hello Hello

WARNING spoilered text below discusses things that have already been discussed totally unspoilered in previous posts to this thread.

The thing is though the zombies have been down in that pit for about two years, and Alexandria has done fine for all of that time. It's yet another way in which you have to wonder how smart and/or 'doing the right thing' Rick and his crew are. Let's remember they were literally on the brink of dying (thirst/starvation) before they stumbled upon Alexandria, and now within a few weeks of arriving the AMAZING BIG PLAN is to DELIBERATELY RELEASE thousands of fucking zombies from a place nearby which they are certain will overrun Alexandria unless everyone follows the amazing plan to lead them down miles upon miles of open road before they wander off and bother someone else - because they like to 'herd up'.

It's OK overall because at least there's loads of zombie splatter gore which FTWD wasn't delivering, but in terms of overall quality I'm not convinced TWD is doing anything that FTWD isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I wouldn't use the spoiler tags either. No, really, just ignore them. It's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:58 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I wouldn't use the spoiler tags either. No, really, just ignore them. It's fine.

Fine I'll spoiler tag it then, even though no one else fucking did.

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next