Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 15:17 
Excellent Member

There is an episode in the second half of season 4 that will mess you up for weeks. Well it did me anyway. If anyone says 'look at the flowers' now I just start wailing lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 16:14 
Sleepyhead

CrazyFace wrote:
There is an episode in the second half of season 4 that will mess you up for weeks. Well it did me anyway. If anyone says 'look at the flowers' now I just start wailing lol.

Oh Christ. So much :this:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 21:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I knew it!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I knew he couldn't do the science!

Now someone tell me what happened to Beth, because I can't remember why she got separated.

Episode 5 spoiler, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Superb episode.

The latest one? I enjoyed it too.

I like their current tendency to not be afraid to go off and have a complete episode or two elsewhere.

It was a little bit of a tede fest, really. Too much Beth. I am disappoint.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:21 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Superb episode.

The latest one? I enjoyed it too.

I like their current tendency to not be afraid to go off and have a complete episode or two elsewhere.

It was a little bit of a tede fest, really. Too much Beth. I am disappoint.

Beth is awesome, you fool!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:30 
INFINITE POWAH

No, she's not. She's alright, but she's not enough of a strong character to be the focus of an entire episode.

where do I know the young black chap from?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:38 
Bad Girl

Is he your pool boy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Christ, episode 5 was a bit good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:05 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
No, she's not. She's alright, but she's not enough of a strong character to be the focus of an entire episode.

where do I know the young black chap from?

He was Chris in 'Everybody Hates Chris'

I am biased as I luurrvve Emily Kinney (Beth), and own all her musics and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Aaaaah, that was it.

She has musics? Are they annoying teenage musics that go on about boys and how mean and smelly they are?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:34 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Aaaaah, that was it.

She has musics? Are they annoying teenage musics that go on about boys and how mean and smelly they are?

A little, though she's a lot older than you think (she's 29).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So what happened to her? How did she get there?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:47 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Normal route. Had a bit of talent, played a few gigs, got an agent, then a recording contract.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 23:10 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
So what happened to her? How did she get there?

SPOILER FOR SEASON 4!

In the previous season, after the prison, she and Daryl were together and did a few things, had a few adventures, etc.

They holed up in a funeral home, but they thought it might have been inhabited as it had signs of people. They stayed a night and wrote a thank you note for whoever had stuff there, and were going to leave the next day. They had seen a dog outside, and it sounded like it came back, but when Daryl went to answer there were a ton of walkers. He told Beth to escape via the window, and then after she had gone he ran away and also managed to escape. He looked for Beth, only to find her bag on the ground and a car speeding away. The car had the same cross in the back window as the ones in the parking lot of the hospital, so we can assume they're kidnapping people and what they said about finding her was a lie.

This was halfway through the last series.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 0:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Did four episodes last night to finish Season 4 off, so just the five episodes of Season 5 to catch up with, and I'm right up to date :)

Netflix doesn't go past Season 4 but the Usenet-O-Tron has proved entirely capable.

Season 4 was mostly excellent, albeit with a couple of weaker episodes and the odd slightly 'off' character progression and/or arc (I've forgotten how many entirely different personas Tyreese has got through now), but in the main solid.

Last couple of episodes almost got a bit much in places, more thanks to humans than zombies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 23:01 
Hello Hello Hello

I am now fully up to date, having just finished Episode 5 of Season 5, so from this point forward I'll only be able to watch one episode per week along with everyone else, and doubtless that stupid mid-season break will be along before too long as well.

I've quite enjoyed Abraham and Eugene, they're the closest the series has come to a bit of humour for a long time. Also that lesbian lass is well nice, and I bet she's not really a lesbian either so I might be in with a chance.

Looking forward to seeing how Season 5 pans out but I do wonder where the whole thing finishes up? Are the comics still going or does it have a defined end? I mean, we're two years into the zombie apocalypse now and on the whole the zombies are looking in pretty good shape, that's the secret of perpetual motion right there, just get enough of them on treadmills outside the gates and you could power an entire city forever, apparently.

I like to think it'll do a Breaking Bad at some point and have the ending it deserves, rather than just shambling on indefinitely like the zombie version of Eastenders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Episode 6 (of Season 5) was pretty good I think, Carol and Daryl are two of the more interesting characters and can carry an episode (unlike Beth whose episode dragged a bit I thought). Nice to get a bit of backstory and context too.

Ransacking the ambulance on the bridge in the way they did was pretty stupid though, especially since there were already walkers following them onto the bridge. I mean, duhhh.

It's nice to be up to date, with one episode per week rather than 2-4 per night, which just gets a bit much in the unremitting bleakness stakes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:15 
Sleepyhead

I liked Beth's because I love Beth. Plus I really liked seeing a different way of people surviving.

As for the recent episode, I thought it was really good.

I really like the dynamic of the relationship between Carol and Daryl, and the way they explored how each has a past they have left behind. I particularly liked how it didn't go down the simple, 'boy and girl who like each other, they must have sex and romantic slushy times!' route.

Re: the van on the bridge, they knew it was risky. They weren't ransacking it though, they were looking for clues as to where the cars might be headed. As it was, that's where they discovered it was the hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I liked Beth's because I love Beth. Plus I really liked seeing a different way of people surviving.

She's a decent character but I'm not convinced she's nuanced enough to carry a whole episode, IMO she dragged down the earlier episode focused on her and Daryl. The hospital was interesting-ish but ultimately felt a bit contrived and cartoonish.

Quote:
As for the recent episode, I thought it was really good.

I really like the dynamic of the relationship between Carol and Daryl, and the way they explored how each has a past they have left behind. I particularly liked how it didn't go down the simple, 'boy and girl who like each other, they must have sex and romantic slushy times!' route.

Re: the van on the bridge, they knew it was risky. They weren't ransacking it though, they were looking for clues as to where the cars might be headed. As it was, that's where they discovered it was the hospital.

I appreciate they were looking for clues and not just ransacking but
wandering out onto the bridge in full view of the walkers, when they'd been so careful to skulk around the city, just seemed daft. And they seemed surprisingly unconcerned when they were obviously getting cornered, and were left with an 'escape plan' of pretty much risking death or serious injury.

But yes, definitely two of the best characters and their relationship has superb dynamics and has managed to avoid cliché really well,
Daryl burning the mother and child walkers whilst Carol slept was a really great touch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Are the comics still going or does it have a defined end?

The comics are still going but the TV series has deviated enough already that one could continue or end without the other really. I did have it in my head that there was a genuine proper end planned soon for the comics but I can't find any evidence of that and may have either made it up entirely or just be mixing it up with Fables (another long running comics series I read that's definitely finishing shortly).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:53 
Hello Hello Hello

4 Reasons 'The Walking Dead' Hates Humans More Than Zombies

http://www.cracked.com/article_21928_4- ... lypse.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 0:16 
INFINITE POWAH

Ep08- Fuuuuuuuuck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 0:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ep08- Fuuuuuuuuck.

Fucking hell That :(

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Three word reviews, courtesy of beexcellenttoeachother.com

'For when a paragraph is just too much effort'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:13 
Gogmagog

Oh my

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 17:59 
MaliA wrote:
Oh my

The latest one?

Big
Noooo not Beth :(((((

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 21:48 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I was...

Disappointed. Mid season finale so you know there's a death. Particularly as there has been nothing majorly traumatic so far in the season. Plus unfortunately I knew the drama was personal for Darryl. So the moment that the fire truck pulls up and they tell Maggie that Beth was alive, I knew that was it, rather than Carol. The only uncertainty was how the drama wold play out, and it was rather weak. Ultimately the most telegraphed finale that I can remember in the series

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 22:14 
Hibernating Druid

Brilliant but gutted.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 22:25 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I was...

Disappointed. Mid season finale so you know there's a death. Particularly as there has been nothing majorly traumatic so far in the season. Plus unfortunately I knew the drama was personal for Darryl. So the moment that the fire truck pulls up and they tell Maggie that Beth was alive, I knew that was it, rather than Carol. The only uncertainty was how the drama wold play out, and it was rather weak. Ultimately the most telegraphed finale that I can remember in the series

:this:

Fairly weak episode overall IMO, saw it coming a mile off since they basically erected a big neon sign saying what was going to happen, you know they'll put a ZOMG moment in there because it's the mid-season finale.

The reactions were well played out but there was absolutely fucking zero logic to what actually happened. Bit meh, TBH.

So remind me again why Beth decided to try and kill Dawn, she had ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING TO GAIN by doing so, and was quite clearly risking the lives of her entire group in the process, and like she'd kill a trained and 'willing to kill' copper with a pair of scissors anyway? Plus she's made it absolutely clear she wants out of there and when it's finally going to happen she risks her life and the lives of her entire group by effectively trying to commit suicide? Did she think she'd get away with it? Didn't she want to see if Maggie was still alive? She's just seen some familiar faces, Maggie could well be alive too, and what about Little Kick Ass, that would be worth finding out about too, it seems silly to commit suicide by cops, no? SHE HAS A PAIR OF SCISSORS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CORRIDOR FULL OF INCREDIBLY POWERFUL WEAPONRY AND TWO GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ONE SECOND AWAY FROM MASS SLAUGHTER.

And then why did Dawn even want Noah back? She's proven herself to be far smarter and more pragmatic than that, and she's clearly ranged against a very capable and dangerous group in Rick & Co, she's going to risk it all to get Noah back by changing the deal at the last moment?

Pretty damn weak, really. Not a great episode overall either, when The Walking Dead missteps, it missteps quite badly.

Plus Beth was never what you'd call an 'essential' character anyway, they certainly killed off the most disposable member of the cast IMO, and did it cheaply too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 23:50 
Sleepyhead

Well

First off, "NOOOOOOO!". I am the sad.

I thought that was perhaps telegraphed with the sister thing, but still thought she might be okay.

Cop woman was being smart with Noah. As she's said all along, she only holds it together by being seen as strong and in control, and if she doesn't get a 'good deal' then chances are the other cops would have killed her.

And she was right, in that in the end everyone agreed to it and it was all going to be fine, before Beth went off the deep end.

As for Beth, she had gone back to the group and was going to leave it there before she bargained back for Noah. Beth has been slowly going a bit mental over the past few series, and this clearly took her to the edge, and eventually over it. She just hated cop woman and saw someone she cared about being taken away. She'd seen what world Noah was going back to, and how cop woman had always planned on getting him back. She wasn't acting rationally, but out of anger and rage, having been turned into something she hated while in there (from never having killed to being forced to kill).

So I thought it was pretty good, and believable. People don't always do sensible things, especially if you mentally torture them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Well

Reasonable points Curio and I do see where you're coming from, HOWEVER....

I didn't pick up on too many cues that Beth was in such a mentally precarious state, sure she's been through a lot and the hospital has been traumatic, but she's at the point where it's over and she's back with her group. Yes she hates cop lady and yes she cares for Noah, but to risk EVERYTHING on trying to wound/kill Dawn still makes no sense, not least because it won't change what's happening with Noah.

Remember I've speed-watched through all five seasons in a short space of time so I've seen Beth's character arc develop over a short space of time, and for me her actions at the end of that episode didn't fit, they immediately jarred with me. She knows Daryl's alive who she bonded with, she can see several other key members of the group are alive, she's going to want to know about Maggie and Judith as well - I flat out didn't buy that she'd risk everyone's life over Noah.

Even the 'mental torture' she'd been subjected to wasn't much worse than a lot of other stuff she'd been through since Season 2 IMO.

As one critic summarised it:

So what the hell was [Beth] trying to do? Get Dawn killed indirectly? Free the hospital from her idiotic non-control? Commit suicide by idiot? Whatever she was trying to accomplish — presumably getting rid of Dawn in some manner — weren't there many, many other ways to do it that didn't involve her almost certainly getting shot or potentially turning the hostage trade into a bloodbath? We'll never know, because Beth is dead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:41 
Isn't that lovely?

I think it's pretty easy to see why she did it.

She's a teenager that recently tried to kill herself, she saw the effort that Noah went to rescue her, and now he had to give up his freedom because of that "monster" she had to pay for it, so Beth lashed out with what she had.

I didn't see it coming, perhaps I should have, as I thought they wouldn't kill her after building up to the climax of her rescue

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:31 
Sleepyhead

I think the key rebuttal to the critic's thing is

She's a kid and kids do irrational things, especially when emotion is involved.

Amazing that she's 29 in real life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 
Sleepyhead

Obviously there's no right answer though, and the effect it had on people differs, which is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 
Excellent Member

I really can't accept criticisms based on how stupid some character acted. It all brings me back to Prometheus (which i loved btw) where most criticism i saw online was related to characters in that movie doing all sorts of stupid shit.

I suppose none of these critics ever read Dostoevsky, because if they did, they would understand that people act silly all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 14:31 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
I really can't accept criticisms based on how stupid some character acted. It all brings me back to Prometheus (which i loved btw) where most criticism i saw online was related to characters in that movie doing all sorts of stupid shit.

I suppose none of these critics ever read Dostoevsky, because if they did, they would understand that people act silly all the time.

But it's important.

Of course there's often an inherent suspension of disbelief with books, movies, games, and indeed most works of fiction. The critical thing however is that the 'world' we've chosen to inhabit plays by its own rules and doesn't decide to do something ridiculous for the sake of a plot contrivance. (So I dunno, something that's patently ridiculous like The Matrix is OK as long as it plays by its own rules.)

In the case of The Walking Dead we buy into the post-apocalyptic scenario, we'd had Beth's character established over three seasons, we'd spent many hours with her as a person, so if they'd had her die as a result of a freak conga-dancing accident whilst snorting speedballs, that'd be a problem.

My point is that the way the mid-season finale came to a close broke the rules that had been established by the story and the characters, in a conga-dancing sort of style. Dawn's actions were incongruous and borderline suicidal, Beth's reaction jarred with me and just felt plain wrong, I didn't buy it. It was a shock for the sake of a shock, and I felt it was injurious to both the story and the characters.

I knew what was coming but as the running time ticked down I was wondering how they were going to shoe-horn it in, fearing some stupid contrivance just to get the ZOMG DEATH in, and that's exactly what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 14:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I think the key rebuttal to the critic's thing is

She's a kid and kids do irrational things, especially when emotion is involved.

Amazing that she's 29 in real life.

Yes but....

She's had to grow up a lot, very quickly. Remember that the timespan from us first seeing her on the farm to her death at the hospital is something in the region of two years or so, in that time she's been through a lot and learned how to survive, in fact she'll probably be 18/19 in the series when she dies? That's not a 'kid' any more.

Fundamentally I simply don't buy that she'd risk everything, her life, her group's lives, Noah's life, an absolute fucking bloodbath, just to stab Dawn with a pair of scissors - she's smarter than that. They killed her off on the cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 14:41 

I agree that if we were to suppose that she was simply losing the plot then it wasn't really dealt with very well. It's not like she snapped in the moment either, they took the time to show her deciding what she was going to do (and this was before she knew what would happen with Everybody Hates Chris) but up until that moment she had been dealing quite rationally with all the mental sets of circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 15:51 
Sleepyhead

She had them just in case. She was thinking of using them to kill the doctor just when Carol came in, because she wanted to end the whole hospital thing.

And she hadn't planned in advance to definitely use them as she was going to go with Rick et al until Dawn asserted her authority by getting Noah back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 22:38 
Bad Girl

DID ANYONE WATCH AFTER THE CREDITS!? I didn't and I missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 22:54 
Hibernating Druid

YES THANKS

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 0:06 
Sleepyhead

Saturnalian wrote:
DID ANYONE WATCH AFTER THE CREDITS!? I didn't and I missed it.

No! Was there a something? Was it yer British man?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 0:13 
Bad Girl

Post credits - herewith.

http://youtu.be/mxwyzW3SLuU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 0:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Google Now just hit me with a spoiler for this episode.

Gaywood!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 17:43 
Bad Girl

Interesting (to me) bit that I missed the first time in TWD, just before Rick runs over the cop he picks up the radio for the loudhailer to tell the cop to stop and camera picks out a photograph of the cop with his son on the dash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 18:04 

Grim... wrote:
Google Now just hit me with a spoiler for this episode.

Gaywood!

You can file a bug report for that, using the three-dots menu next to the item. It attempts to filter spoilers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 0:23 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I am enjoying season 5. Up to episode 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 23:37 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Caught up... Wow and ah man have to wait till feb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 21:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Episode 9 - Bloody hell. Well.

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 34  Next