Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'Yay!' thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:15 

Awesome Mark, like your style. £££ :)

Kerrrrching!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Very nice :) how long is the secondment for?

That's not been decided yet. I need to try and somehow guess how long it will take which is tricky until I've seen things over there. I don't want it to go on for too long though as it will involve about three or four hours driving each day. It may even be that I end up doing two or three days a week there and the rest here.

With a 50% raise, surely the answer to that is "ages, guv"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 13:00 
Best
Board Mother

Congrats Mark!

Belated congratulations to Zio too, hopefully the new job will go some way to helping you with your finances too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 13:09 

Cavey wrote:
Awesome Mark, like your style. £££ :)

Kerrrrching!!

Indeed, but even if it was a 100% pay rise I'd still be cheap compared to a private SharePoint contractor/consultant and I know the sorts of problems they face a lot better than the majority of those. With the extra travelling it's the least I'd really want to do it for, with my wife and our nine month old baby girl at home I value my free time pretty highly. I just want to get it done successfully because it will save another trust some cash and also it won't do me any harm to gain some different experience.

It's all come about because a couple of members of our staff went to work there and they want the stuff that I've done here. They already have SharePoint and the other bits we use and have had for some time but just aren't using it and we've done loads here to eliminate some of the insane paper/fax/email trails and just generally speed things up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 13:22 

Sure thing mate, all eminently sensible and admirable. Quite simply, well done and congrats, enjoy. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:00 
Bad Girl

Well done MarkG!

Elsewhere, I might have some news about going solo soon! No more working for da man. Maybe. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

I actually don't mind working for da man, I find him a much better employer than the arsehole I would be working for if I started my own business.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:16 

Trooper wrote:
I actually don't mind working for da man, I find him a much better employer than the arsehole I would be working for if I started my own business.

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:35 
Bad Girl

Well fuck me, I've just been authorised from 1/9/2014 as a recognised sole practitioner (provided I do some things in the next 7 days) with my own firm.

Is this real?

That was too sudden. In the space of an hour with an exchange of letters (with over 12 months of work mind but still). Can someone please phone the sinister regulatory authority and tell them I ain't ready?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:39 

Saturnalian wrote:
Well fuck me, I've just been authorised from 1/9/2014 as a recognised sole practitioner (provided I do some things in the next 7 days) with my own firm.

Is this real?

That was too sudden. In the space of an hour with an exchange of letters (with over 12 months of work mind but still). Can someone please phone the sinister regulatory authority and tell them I ain't ready?!

Meh. Probably the best thing you'll ever do. Personally I could never stand working like an idiot to line someone else's pocket, for usual entirely illusory "job security" (just about anywhere I've ever worked, you were pretty much only as good as your last job and month's invoicing/fees).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:43 
Bad Girl

Cavey wrote:
Probably the best thing you'll ever do. Personally I could never stand working like an idiot to line someone else's pocket

Exactly right. That was precisely the reason I did it in the first place. Thanks Cavey!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:45 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:

Is this real?

You'll do very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 15:11 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Can someone please phone the sinister regulatory authority and tell them I ain't ready?!

They already know. They're always watching. Otherwise they would just be the plain old 'regulatory authority'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 23:22 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
50% pay rise get!

Only for a secondment while I train some people up and put some processes in place, but hey, better than a kick in the teeth!

Fucking Hell! The RC planes are on you!

Must have been the seagull shit :D

Fucking nice one.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 
Gogmagog

Probation period has been and gone and now I'm getting more responsibilty. Ulp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Commiserations dude, responsibility sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 17:01 
Isn't that lovely?

So, my eldest son got his G.C.S.E results today.

A Distinction in IT (not sure why this is done like a music grade, but it's apprently the same as an A or A*)

A* in Maths, English Lit. and English Language
A in Further Maths, RE and History
B in Geography and Physics
C in Chemistry, Biology and German.

Which is more than enough to see him on to his A-Level courses (Maths, English, History and Physics).

Well proud of him!

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:23 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:

A Distinction in IT (not sure why this is done like a music grade, but it's apprently the same as an A or A*)

B in Geography and Maths

Which is more than enough to see him on to his A-Level courses (Maths, English, History and Physics).

Well proud of him!

Malc

Great results, does he like IT, the maths and IT results show he would have an aptitude. Did he do a Physics GCSE?? Thought you couldn't do those at A level if you hadn't??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:49 
Gogmagog

Please hi5 him on my behalf, and pass on my congratulations on the rewards of his hard work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:50 
Best
Board Mother

That's great news Malc! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 20:51 
Isn't that lovely?

asfish wrote:
Malc wrote:

B in Geography and Maths

Well proud of him!

Malc

Great results, does he like IT, the maths and IT results show he would have an aptitude. Did he do a Physics GCSE?? Thought you couldn't do those at A level if you hadn't??

He got a B in physics. I left it out of the summary!

silly me.

Thanks for the comments guys, I will pass on to him that some people on the internet said he did good!

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 20:54 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc wrote:
asfish wrote:
Malc wrote:

B in Geography and Maths

Well proud of him!

Malc

He got a B in physics. I left it out of the summary!

silly me.

Thanks for the comments guys, I will pass on to him that some people on the internet said he did good!

Malc

The Maths in the "B" section should have been Physics as I already said he got an A* in maths!

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 20:17 
Excellent Member

Pissed it down all day in my neck of the woods, that said the day was full of yay moments

First one was at 6.25am, my son was in bed with us as he had woken up 10 minutes before. Love the weekend when he come into our bed and we don’t have to be up for work

So he is sat up between us having done his raid of objects from my bedside draw, today it was some device that keeps cash and credit card waterproof when on the beach. He is happily chewing this when I asked him “where’s daddy?” He looks at me and gives me a pat on my beer gut that had it been done by anyone else other my 14 month old son would have been patronising. So made my day as he had never done this before.

Later on we go to an indoor play barn, it has a major play area about 30 foot high, none of this is “suitable” for his age so I have to take him to a side area, he soon gets pissed off with this and spends most of his time trying to crawl out of it. After a while we go and get some food etc. So then I think fuck this major area it is. So we enter this mental place designed for small kids with narrow passages and stairs, he is loving is as we crawl though and I pull him along where necessary.

Eventual we get to the top of this thing and I find some huge slides that are longer rather than steep, so on dad’s knee it is as we fly down to the bottom, he is squealing with happiness all the way. Find some stairs that for once are built for people taller than 3 foot and we exit with ease to find pissed off and worried mummy, we had been gone for 20 minutes and there was no mobile signal in this place. Still we are both red faced and happy as you can be!!

Final one was screw the rain, I put up a patio umbrella around the Green Egg and did Jerk Chicken pieces, on indirect heat for dinner and they were brilliant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 20:31 
Unpossible!

Awesomes :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 20:30 

Not a day too soon (and arguably a few too late) I have broken up from work and will not return until 7th October!

I moved to the new cake lady role a few weeks ago, but due to staff 'issues' I think I have been simultaneously doing four jobs. I have burned out :S I have blocked myself from being able to access my emails by changing my password to a string of random characters (I had to call a favour from the IT bods on the eve of my wedding to do the same as I was checking my emails every few mins) and now I have no choice but to step away. So, so good! :munkeh:

I had a little app built for me at work today that will help me set up long lists of cake products. It's not at all interesting, but the top bar reads 'powered by unicorns', or 'powered by Giantmonk' or 'Mimi is Awesome' at random when you open it. Also, if you click around the app a few times, a cartoon of Giantmonk pops up.

:luv:

Feeling happier :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:53 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Not a day too soon (and arguably a few too late) I have broken up from work and will not return until 7th October!

I moved to the new cake lady role a few weeks ago, but due to staff 'issues' I think I have been simultaneously doing four jobs. I have burned out :S I have blocked myself from being able to access my emails by changing my password to a string of random characters (I had to call a favour from the IT bods on the eve of my wedding to do the same as I was checking my emails every few mins) and now I have no choice but to step away. So, so good! :munkeh:

I had a little app built for me at work today that will help me set up long lists of cake products. It's not at all interesting, but the top bar reads 'powered by unicorns', or 'powered by Giantmonk' or 'Mimi is Awesome' at random when you open it. Also, if you click around the app a few times, a cartoon of Giantmonk pops up.

:luv:

Feeling happier :)

That's great Mimi. Nothing better than time away from it all when you need it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:25 
Excellent Member

Sounds like a well needed break from work!

My wife and son are back home today after a week in Ireland.

When they went I thought great I can have TV marathons and each Dominions :DD

The reality is I've been shit miserable most of the week and missed them both, also my son doesn't appear to recognise his Dad on Skype so doubly glad they are back today!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 13:20 

Maybe he recognises you mostly by scent :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 17:20 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Maybe he recognises you mostly by scent :D

:DD You never know!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 17:30 
Excellent Member

Its my birthday next week and my wife has finally agreed that I can have a Sous Vide. So excited :DD

This is a water bath cooker where you shrink wrap food and cook it at low temperatures in the water bath.

They have always been a staple for top chefs but know are more affordable for home use

You can do a lot with them, much of which I will be learning, one thing I want to try is steak. You cook a bit of steak in the Sous Vide for 2 hours @ 125c. This make the meat cooked medium rare throughout

Then on a hot grill for 20-30 seconds each side, supposed to be a perfect steak.

It will also made cheaper cuts of meat worth using as cooking with it makes them tender. You can also nail boiled eggs as well, but one book I read said to have them in the water for an hour??!

Really looking forward to using this, I love cooking most of all on my Green Egg outside which I'm now using 3 days a week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 18:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

I hope you mean 125F, since rare is something like 57C in the middle. Or 65C or something.

Shitload less than 125C though.

If you DO mean 125C, you don't need a sous vide.

Also instead of spending all our Amazon vouchers on a projector, we're going to get a Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker.

I'll be able to turn the ripe jalapenos I dried the other day into chipotles and then make adobo to put them in! Woo! Also the steaks and ribs and game birds and cheese and fuck knows what else we'll try smoking!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 18:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yay for sous-vide and smoker!

Asfish, is it a Sous Vide Supreme?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 19:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is your new kitchen big enough to get yours back out of storage, Cras?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nope. One day :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Yay for sous-vide and smoker!

Asfish, is it a Sous Vide Supreme?

Yes, its from there. Since I last looked there is a smaller one out so going for that as a bit of a compromise. There is high wife suspicion that this will be used once or twice :DD

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/SousVide ... &DeptID=34

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:01 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Nope. One day :)

I guess you have one then, any tips would be great! So I guess you either have a small kitchen or huge Sous Vide??!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 13:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or both :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 13:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:this: :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 16:34 
Unpossible!

New nephew!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 

2 mini-yays for me.

- Booked a trip to the US in March, culminating in the 150th Bentonville re-enactment in North Carolina. Now to find a company to fall in with (hey, Peter SJ - fancy an 1860s Beexmeet?)
- Going to a wedding tomorrow for an old school friend. Hadn't been expecting an invite as we've drifted away over the years but was pleased to be asked to attend the evening. Got a call last night to say there was now a space for dinner so I'm going to the whole thing. Pleasantly surprised by this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 
Excellent Member

I've just booked the hotel for an upcoming trip to Manchester to see Lamb play in promotion of the second album of their reformation. While that's definitely a yay the day as a whole could go either way as it represents either a rekindling of, or rejection by, an old flame. And right now it could genuinely go either way as she's playing her cards pretty close to her chest and sending some very mixed messages.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 
Excellent Member

Been looking for an interim dinning table and chairs as our current one is falling to bits (mostly the chairs)

Don't want to buy a new one before we extend the house next year as there is a 99% probability that if I do it won't be right for the extended house later on :DD

Found one on Ebay, solid mahogany with 8 chairs. The table extends to 8 feet (from 5'6) if needed for big gatherings. Its has some scuffs and marks, but a French Polisher will be able to sort that out.

£250 plus £30 delivery, you struggle to buy a couple of chairs new for that.

For that money it will owe us nothing in 12-18 months so could even justify chucking the lot in a skip if I had to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 15:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Put it back on eBay! You may get someone else in the same boat as you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 15:13 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I've just booked the hotel for an upcoming trip to Manchester to see Lamb play in promotion of the second album of their reformation. While that's definitely a yay the day as a whole could go either way as it represents either a rekindling of, or rejection by, an old flame. And right now it could genuinely go either way as she's playing her cards pretty close to her chest and sending some very mixed messages.

Bamba seems to have had his account hacked by Zio.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 15:14 
Sleepyhead

American Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I thought he was just talking about you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 15:17 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I thought he was just talking about you.

:DD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:39 
Excellent Member

Table arrived yesterday, just got it through the patio doors, so no need to take to bits.

Although I mostly wanted the chairs, and the table is a bit worn around the edges, I'm so pleased with it. Its made the dinning room look like a dinning room, sounds stupid I know but the last table just didn't.

Will be getting a French Polisher to see if he can tidy it up, but even here I'm not that bothered as it looks ok as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 14:33 
Excellent Member

Tickets get for Kevin Bridges finally! He just kept adding more and more Glasgow dates until I got in there so that was nice of him. Putting something in my calendar more than a year in advance is a level of organisation I'm really not comfortable with though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:12 
Sleepyhead

Yay!

My big telly is fixed! It had been sat around for a year or something not working.

Turns out there's a second on switch on the back.

:belm:

Reply to topic  [ 10273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 206  Next