Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Official BETEO Forza Race Club of Gentlemen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:08 
UltraMod

Mind if I move that to the generic racing thread we've got? Let's not clutter up in here with non-Forza stuff.

Post subject: Re: Official BETEO Forza Race Club of Gentlemen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Simbin were born out of determined GPL/NR modders as I recall. It should be a good game for the racing :nerd: here.[/color]

They were EA F1 modders mostly, then they've produced GTR, GTL and GTR2 as standalone versions of their mods. This was followed by RACE and RACE07 that were largely World Touring Car championship games, then this is a console version of that.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Racing Games on X360
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 15:36 
making out to faces of death

I have Race 07 on Steam. I'm still not happy with them for not being able to play GTR despite paying £25 for it, thanks to their Starforce not liking my DVD drive, but you take what you can get.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:01 

GTR2 did not have starforce btw. I didn't buy GTR and GTL for precisely that reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:26 

They lost out on those two because of that, with me. I went with LFS and RFactor instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 17:50 

I bought both of those too :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 

OK, apparently, according to the SimBin site, the rumour is rubbish. Boo, and stuff.

So I have been noodling around with three racing games over the weekend; Need for Speed: Pro Street, Test Drive Unlimited and NASCAR 08.

Need for Speed is gorgeous. The analogue stick shift thing was a fun idea, but it's a bit awkward. The circuit racing handling feels a bit hmm (though it feels better with the wheel). I like doing the burnouts and drag racing though, with my Roadrunner shaking and growling, rawr! The drift events are rubbish. And not in that way that people here sniff at drifting, but in the way it's awfully canned.

But it's soooo pretty. And painting cars is always fun, I just wish it were as easy in NFS: PS as it is in Forza2.

TDU: Oooh. I can choose a character, and have a house! I only found two clothes stores, and they are biker gear and chavwear so I hope there are others. So many roads to drive round on, though the handling is a little bit hmm. I tried this with my wheel, and erk, it was like the wheel was connected to the car through some arrangement of loose strings. I don't think a car should weave from lane to lane while I'm holding the wheel dead straight. I think they don't understand too well what force feedback is for. I didn't find a sensitivity/linearity setting that made sense for me.

What I wonder is, whether the 160c hardcore handling update is worth getting, whether it will fix the disappointing wheel control, or whether I should stay on the pad and enjoy the scenery.

NASCAR 08. I am still doing the licence challenges, but right away I can feel through the steering wheel that they understand force feedback. The wheel gets so tight, you're pulling the car up the banking to keep it straight, and putting in some strength to steer into the turns. It feels connected, and solid. Yay.

But, after all that, I went back into Forza 2 to experiment with 86s and s13s.

I hope there's a solution to the TDU handling/control problems I'm having. Maybe playing with pad would be less distressing- it's certainly also a lot better for using the GPS map.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 

AceAceBaby wrote:
OK, apparently, according to the SimBin site, the rumour is rubbish. Boo, and stuff.

You sure man?

Atari don't seem to think so:

http://videogames.atari.com/racepro/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:10 

Ah. Hooray. They had a thing up poo-poohing an announcement about an upcoming 360 game, but it seems that was some other rumour.

SimBin News wrote:
We are issuing this statement to counter false rumours currently circulating on the internet regarding a new X360 game.
We do have plans for an upcoming X360 game and an official announcement from Simbin will follow shortly with correct information on title and publisher.
To clarify on a specific point, THQ is not the publisher of our upcoming X360 game.
The information currently circulating is incorrect, said Magnus Ling, Vice President, Simbin Studios.

But the Atari post is up on their site. Phew.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:15 

AceAceBaby wrote:
[color=#400080]OK, apparently, according to the SimBin site, the rumour is rubbish. Boo, and stuff.

Er... what rumour?

Quote:
TDU: Oooh. I can choose a character, and have a house! I only found two clothes stores, and they are biker gear and chavwear so I hope there are others. So many roads to drive round on, though the handling is a little bit hmm. I tried this with my wheel, and erk, it was like the wheel was connected to the car through some arrangement of loose strings. I don't think a car should weave from lane to lane while I'm holding the wheel dead straight. I think they don't understand too well what force feedback is for. I didn't find a sensitivity/linearity setting that made sense for me.

What I wonder is, whether the 160c hardcore handling update is worth getting, whether it will fix the disappointing wheel control, or whether I should stay on the pad and enjoy the scenery.

The hardcore mode was designed for the wheel yes, I've always just used the pad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:31 

Dudley wrote:
The hardcore mode was designed for the wheel yes, I've always just used the pad.

OK, just if it doesn't fix the horribly sloppy wobbles then it would be a waste of spends.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 13:30 

Probably. I've never used the wheel with TDU, nor the 160pt pack.

It's a game where you cruise :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 13:32 

AceAceBaby wrote:
OK, just if it doesn't fix the horribly sloppy wobbles then it would be a waste of spends.
They are charging for an update to fix the game to work better with a £80 accessory? Cheeky bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 13:36 

Atari didn't make that £80 accessory. Nor did it exist when they finished the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 13:37 

Dudley wrote:
Atari didn't make that £80 accessory. Nor did it exist when they finished the game.
You can use facts to prove any old thing that's true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 15:07 

Well it's apparently a "hardcore" physics addon, which I guess they recommend the wheel for, though it will work with the pad also. I don't mind paying for extra work and effort- I have the game I paid £8 for already.

I dunno about cruising. I had to take Fiona to the shops and to get there in time I had to do over 240kph on public roads in my skyline. And she barely said thanks, the ungrateful cow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:17 

I am vaguely tempted to give it a shot, now I'm down to just cruising looking for roads I haven't done before. I hope you can switch between the modes though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:59 

I haven't got it. I thought it would be another click to the right in that gameplay setting where you turn off all the assists.

I have driven over 200 miles, and I have a motorbike and a second home. Go me!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:06 

Gets addictive doesn't it?

I've done about 4000 miles :S

I did like touring the island to get the bike dealers unlocked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:07 

I have done three car deliveries, but only one was perfect, so I expect I've forever missed some acheivement. On the plus side, I did find more clothes stores, and got a nice dress.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:26 

There's no achievements for being completely perfect, it's quite relaxed in that vein.

I don't think there's any achievement it's possible to forever disqualify yourself from.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:30 

Hooray! I know there's a healthy bonus for perfect deliveries (I'm more concerned with getting the extra clothing coupon for taxi challenges- what if there aren't enough coupons to get all the clothes otherwise? ?:| ) But I can live with just getting a decent paycheck for getting some scuffy grass stains on the wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:32 

I'm swimming in tokens so I don't think you'll have a big issue with it, although I'd admit to only buying stuff I actually liked rather than the whole range.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:39 

Well, quite. But I only have 11 tokens right now, and I need to think about getting the right things to coordinate. And also some motorbike leathers that complement whatever bike I'll pick for my bestest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 14:36 

It isn't 360, but I know some people here have PC racing sims. Apparently iRacing is open to public subscription from the 26th.

iRacing.com was founded in September of 2004 by Dave Kaemmer and John Henry. Kaemmer was co-founder of Papyrus Design Group, developers of award-winning racing simulations including NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season and Grand Prix Legends. Henry is principal owner of the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Sports Group - the co-owner of Roush Fenway Racing - as well as an avid simracer. The iRacing.com team combines more than 100 years of real-world racing experience with more than 50 years of successful racing simulation development.

http://www.iracing.com/newsEvents/article.php?id=68&lc=2

People with PC racing interests should know Dave Kaemmer. I'd say you could call him the John Carmack of racing sims.

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3