Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Halo Night - TUESDAYS 8PM
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
I'm just messing about really. But I would prefer it if people didn't resent folk who don't turn up. I mean - exactly, it's only a gaming night.

Nobody is resented, but effort is appreciated. As we've proved many times, we do good things as a community but it falls apart if nobody wants to partake in whatever activity.

Well absolutely. I definitely wouldn't want to see Halo Night stop because of lack of interest - I'll be looking to play again when the DLC comes out at the end of the month for certain, but I'd like to come and go as I please without snide remarks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:42 
Chinny chin chin

[ when the DLC comes out at the end of the month for certain,

What's DLC? Is it like DLT? Will I get some kind of free pipe?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:39 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

chinnyhill10 wrote:
[ when the DLC comes out at the end of the month for certain,

What's DLC? Is it like DLT? Will I get some kind of free pipe?

So as someone who doesnt take part in Halo night (no Reach) , an answer for Chinny and a ... comment :-)

DLC = Downloadable content , probably new maps or game modes , or other tweaks to the game - for most games this costs money (or microsoft space bucks).

Given that a large number of people on my friends list have been playing Halo non stop for the last few weeks i regularly logged in on a Tuesday to 20 people online / 18 people playing Halo :-)

Last week that almost totally switched to most people playing the new thing (CODBLOPS) - i would expect this to happen , however if people really like Halo then they will return to it *and* if someones actually organising a night and a time to play it then its more likely that people will switch to the game at the time and place if there are others playing it (regardless of the game - i remember a few months ago we had a number of people on to play a game but since no-one got in / started the party chat / etc everyone continued with what they were doing - the next week Chinny started things up and people then switched what they were doing to the game).

I think you'll probably find *next week* will have more people trying to be part of this because they want a change from BLOPS so if someone starts things up at the right time then you'll have a number of players.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 
Sleepyhead

Mostly what Zaphod said.

I'll partake in Halo nights, but CODBLOPS is still shiny. I can't see myself buying any more games this year, so soon enough I will be happy for the variety.

But for the moment I want to play with my new shiny.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 
baron of techno

Mr Dave wrote:

Anyhow, back, and completely shattered. Probably head to bed.

Think I must have logged in about 1 minute after this, because all I could see was codploppers :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:36 
Unpossible!

I honestly don't know why you bother arranging regular nights for games. After 3 weeks, this always happens.

Why not just arrange a bezzie night and agree on the game the day before? That way those that wish to play Halo or PLOPS or Peggle or Barbie Show jumping with a bud will be able to.

It may just stop :this: sort of hassle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 
Honey Boo Boo

I definitely wouldn't want to see Halo Night stop because of lack of interest - I'll be looking to play again when the DLC comes out at the end of the month for certain, but I'd like to come and go as I please without snide remarks.

Not even two months after it's out and already it's dead. But wait! If we all pay extra (because otherwise we won't be able to play the new stuff) you'll become interested again?

We had fun with Halo 3 for AGES and I don't think we ever used any DLC for it.

Besides, what the fuck has happened to this place? We used to regularly play Forza, Halo AND CoD, not to mention Gears 2. Now it seems like a miracle if I play with anyone outside the usual suspects of Dave, Myp, Dimrill and 41LMF0|_|R|<1D. It's like the forum is going through that awkward stage in your mid-to-late twenties when all your friends start moving away and you hardly see them because they've all bought houses and got missuses (missii?) and are now busy with home improvements and squeezing out as many children as possible.

Okay, will stop pulling on this chain now. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
DLC = Downloadable content , probably new maps or game modes , or other tweaks to the game - for most games this costs money (or microsoft space bucks).

I'm expected to pay extra for new levels for a game barely a few months old so that some people might decide they want to play for one week before getting bored again? Chances are only half the people will have the levels anyway so we'll then struggle to get enough people.

This really is pointless. At least there is an infinite supply of randomers and they won't be demanding I buy a new level every 2 weeks.

If anyone sees me online and wants to play Halo, message me. I'm dropping out of this discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 13:45 

Nobody is expected to do anything. As we said way back and always have said, if even one person lacks DLC, we let them play and we play on the original maps. I was just using it as an example as a reason for me getting back into Reach when it comes out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 13:52 

MetalAngel wrote:
I definitely wouldn't want to see Halo Night stop because of lack of interest - I'll be looking to play again when the DLC comes out at the end of the month for certain, but I'd like to come and go as I please without snide remarks.

Not even two months after it's out and already it's dead. But wait! If we all pay extra (because otherwise we won't be able to play the new stuff) you'll become interested

Except it's not dead, it just so happens that online FPS fans have been treated to their most significant release of the year in the last couple of weeks. This was always going to happen. Give it a couple more weeks and it'll even out again. As for the DLC, see above for our 'policy' which has even been previously mentioned in this very thread, let alone many others on BEEX, and I'm absolutely certain you were already aware of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:42 
Rude Belittler

Reach is an absolutely smashing game, but last week I'd bought CODBLOPS, and I knew for a fact that there was not going to be much Halo action that night. And I was a little pissed off that the week before we had people moaning about playing with randoms, and there were promises that we'd not do that anymore, and when I complain about playing some shit gametype that Myp pooped out no-one cares. (note:joking!)

Last night, I had a horrible day at work and was fed up, so I didn't fancy playing anything competitive in any way shape and form (especially if it involves Myp's shit gametype), and Fallout was in the tray, so I booted that up, grabbed pop and crisps and shot raiders in the face with guns for a while. Most cathartic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
Last night, I had a horrible day at work and was fed up, so I didn't fancy playing anything competitive in any way shape and form (especially if it involves Myp).

FEEX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:47 
Honey Boo Boo

it just so happens that online FPS fans have been treated to their most significant release of the year in the last couple of weeks

That's HIGHLY subjective. What about the most significant release of the year back on September 14th?

Quote:
As for the DLC, see above for our 'policy' which has even been previously mentioned in this very thread, let alone many others on BEEX, and I'm absolutely certain you were already aware of.

I was, I've got no problem with that. I think what's got me and Chinny is that you're saying you won't play Reach again until the DLC comes out, but as per The Policy unless everyone else has it, we don't bother using it when playing. I'm just wondering what will win out in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The fact that the majority of people are playing CoD and not Halo kind of covers the subjectivity question. That and it being the most pre-ordered game of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:59 
Sleepyhead

Aye. The debate on what people prefer is highly subjective... but in terms of popularity and the majority of people, a new CoD game (even from Treyarch) is the biggest release of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:01 
Honey Boo Boo

Baa!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:04 

If Halo night is dying, doesn't that simply mean people don't want to play Halo?[1] No amount of peer pressure is going to compel anyone over the age of thirteen to play a game they don't want to, and conversely, a new game being released isn't going to stop people playing an older one if that's what they want to do. Complaining about it is like trying to hold back the tide.

[1] certainly true in my case; I played Fallout last night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:06 

Craster wrote:
The fact that the majority of people are playing CoD and not Halo kind of covers the subjectivity question. That and it being the most pre-ordered game of all time.

Exactly! It's not even an argument.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:09 

MetalAngel wrote:
Quote:
As for the DLC, see above for our 'policy' which has even been previously mentioned in this very thread, let alone many others on BEEX, and I'm absolutely certain you were already aware of.

I was, I've got no problem with that. I think what's got me and Chinny is that you're saying you won't play Reach again until the DLC comes out, but as per The Policy unless everyone else has it, we don't bother using it when playing. I'm just wondering what will win out in the end.

I didn't say I won't play Reach again until then, I said I'd probably play it again when the DLC comes out. Difference! I'm not even that arsed about the DLC, it's just that it comes out at the end of the month when overexposure to CODBLOPS will probably kick in and the DLC is like an extra shot in the arm to convince me to put the disk back in. Also, bear in mind that I played a shit-load of Halo Reach for the first month or so after its release. An absolute shit-load. I played it every night. I wanted a break from it. CODBLOPS came out.

But seriously, if what everyone else is doing with their games collection and whether or not they're planning on purchasing DLC or not causes you so much stress, I don't really know what else to say.

I mean, I love playing games with all of you guys, and from the times I've played with you Perkies I think you're a lovely chap, but come on man, let people do what they want to do and stop taking it so personally if they decide to play something else.

edit: Unless of course you're still all just yanking my chain! LOLs!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:15 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

This is probably why I'm always skint, but completing the single-player once or twice, getting at least a couple of weeks of multiplayer, then trading a game in is fine for me, and pretty much my expected lifespan for games. If they hold my attention for longer, or enough people play it online regularly, so be it. But ~£30 sits fine with me for that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:15 

I'm with DrG on this & I reckon some folk might drift back over once they start needing a break from CoD. As for me, I gave Reach a go, had a laugh with it for a while & traded it once I was tired of it a few weeks later. Halo's not really my bag.

The only shooters that would "tear me away from CoD" are UT3 & GoW2. (Not counting Sup3rl337 Zarzie Co-op mode mind)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:19 
Honey Boo Boo

I mean, I love playing games with all of you guys, and from the times I've played with you Perkies I think you're a lovely chap, but come on man, let people do what they want to do and stop taking it so personally if they decide to play something else.

It's fine, I understand what the score is now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I totally agree with WTB.

I don't like you either, Perkies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:23 
baron of techno

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:24 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
I totally agree with WTB.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:26 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:

No more hugs for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:28 
Bad Girl

So is Halo night dead or simply on hiatus while we get shiny shiny out of the way. I'd be quite disappointed if we never came back to it.

There's just something so compulsive about CoD with its ranking and unlocking but, to be fair to Halo, the game modes are stale compared to the ridiculous knockabout fun such as Juggernaut, Oddball & Zombies (and the like). I think if you give it a bit more time people will drift back into the fold for some bezzie action - especially nearer Christmas when people have more time on their hands for gaming. Besides a bright red spartan at that time of year just seems so right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:34 

It's not even on hiatus - people are still playing as far as I can tell. It's just more people will be playing again when the CODBLOPS excitement fades a little.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 16:59 
Ready for action

I've not read this thread since I got rid of Halo a few weeks after it came out, but holy moly!

Oh and for anyone looking for a shooter to play regular Bezzie games of, I could recommend a really great Treyarch shooter that has a gaggle of Bezzies online every night ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 17:10 
baron of techno

Comedy thread isn't it! I could be tempted by PLOP, certainly the zombie mode I played on it once was great fun. But:
A) It's a bit too realistic.
B) I'm crap at it - you need to have been playing CODs solidly for the last 8 years apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 17:15 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
Comedy thread isn't it! I could be tempted by PLOP, certainly the zombie mode I played on it once was great fun. But:
A) It's a bit too realistic.
B) I'm crap at it - you need to have been playing CODs solidly for the last 8 years apparently.

Skill is no barrier to having a laugh. Just ask Plissken (sample K/d = 0/15).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 17:16 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Curiosity wrote:
Skill is no barrier to having a laugh. Just ask Plissken (sample K/d = 0/15).

Plissken is my personal buffer for keeping me off the bottom of the scoreboards. For that, I love him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:00 
Honey Boo Boo

Anyone coming along?

Post subject: Halo Night - TUESDAYS 8PM
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:07 
baron of techno

I'll be on later if anyones still about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:10 
Paws for thought

I've booted it up and, as usual, most of my friends list is playing CoD. I'll sit around for a while, but doubtful I'll bother for long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 22:24 
I bet you read for fun.

Sick as a dog. Won't be showing up. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 22:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've had a touch of vertigo today... again.

An FPS probably isn't the best thing I could do but hopefully it'll get better for Unreal tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 0:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hmmm - I see with the new dashboard launch that Microsoft are trying to be more targeted in their spam - I got this today

Attachment:
reach.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:35 
Honey Boo Boo

Poor tired Dave soldiered through an entire firefight game of ODST, and then we joined kalmar for a lagtastic co-op through leg-end Reach campaggen.

Post subject: Halo Night - TUESDAYS 8PM
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 
baron of techno

That lag was disgraceful. Sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 
Honey Boo Boo

We still don't know who or what was causing it. I blame Dimrill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 
baron of techno

I blame Jonarob.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:23 
Sleepyhead

Soz for not being around. I was spending the time with my wife ...and then watching Survivor Series, which I (borrowed from a friend - Ed)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 13:16 
Chinny chin chin

I did come online after 9pm but people were inexplicably playing the old version in mission mode which frankly I found odd. Tuesdays were all about the deathmatches I thought with people doing co-op on other nights. Likewise Halo night was revived due to the new version of the game being released.

I played a couple of games with randomers instead as I felt this seemed less wrong than playing the wrong game in the wrong mode. Not that I was invited anyway so I guess that is a moot point.

As I said last week, Halo nights RIP. More fun to be had with randomers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 13:20 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I did come online after 9pm but people were inexplicably playing the old version in mission mode which frankly I found odd.

Well, it's not that unreasonable seeing as there was nobody else around to do multiplayer with!

When I showed up Perks and Dave joined me for a bit of coop-campaggening in Reach which would have been fun if not for the lag. If you'd have joined as well we might have been able to do some multi-player stuff but you didn't accept my invite.

Quote:

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 13:25 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
When I showed up Perks and Dave joined me for a bit of coop-campaggening in Reach which would have been fun if not for the lag. If you'd have joined as well we might have been able to do some multi-player stuff but you didn't accept my invite.

No invite that I saw I'm afraid. Live was being a tad odd though when I was on with 2 aborted attempts to load one of the maps and a phase of players magically jumping around the map on Cliffhanger or whatever its called. The bloody thing will probably flash up when I next boot up or something. But thanks for the invite.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 13:30 
Honey Boo Boo

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I did come online after 9pm but people were inexplicably playing the old version in mission mode which frankly I found odd. Tuesdays were all about the deathmatches I thought with people doing co-op on other nights. Likewise Halo night was revived due to the new version of the game being released.

I played a couple of games with randomers instead as I felt this seemed less wrong than playing the wrong game in the wrong mode. Not that I was invited anyway so I guess that is a moot point.

When I came online at 8 nobody else was around so I hung around in the menu for about 15 minutes until Dave turned up. Dave and I didn't want to play randomers so decided to go play some Firefight in OFSTED instead. Alas, you can't join a Firefight game midway through else we would have invited you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 13:31 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Quoted for Lulz!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:15 
Chinny chin chin

I have just purchased the map pack and am downloading it now.

I feel dirty.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 
Honey Boo Boo

GovernmentYard is your new most bestest friend. He's the only one on here to splash out so far and is very keen to play it.

Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next