Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eurogamers' "Play Fighting" article
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 

Yes, it's by Dan Whitehead. But I think this is actually a pretty good article on the issues around the play-in-Afghanistan Medal of Honour game. Some choice quotes:
Quote:
I'm not about to make a shrill demand to BAN THIS SICK FILTH. Nor is this a hand-wringing plea for people to stop making these games, or playing them. I've enjoyed them myself and will probably continue to do so. This is more a personal exploration of the issues, an attempt to work out where we're heading with games like this - and if it's somewhere we want to be going.
Quote:
Judging by straw polls of friends and discussions on internet message boards, I'm not the only one [who is uncomfortable]. Some bowed out when Call of Duty: World at War used archive footage of actual executions to heighten the tension of its opening level. Others said "enough" to Modern Warfare 2's "No Russian" linear shooting gallery of civilian targets.
Quote:
As gamers, our perception of these things is skewed. By way of illustration, games journo turned telly man Charlie Brooker did an excellent interview with industry publication MCV last year where he talked about using violent games footage in his Gameswipe special for the BBC. "Let's not beat about the bush - it's f***ing tasteless," he said, describing the relentless carnage in Call of Duty: World at War. "There's a line where I say I enjoy it, but I wouldn't necessarily want to let people watch me enjoying it."
Quote:
"Films turn war into entertainment, so why not games?" goes one popular argument. But that ignores the simple fact that games are not films. Games, by their nature, focus almost entirely on the action. Story can be woven around it, but the core of the experience is hours and hours of endless shooting. Games, and online first-person shooter games in particular, don't do things like pathos, doubt and ambiguity well - if at all.
Quite a thoughtful essay, I felt.

Post subject: Re: Eurogamers' "Play Fighting" article
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 

Haven't read it yet, but I think Dan Whitehead is a good games journalist. I just completely disagree with his opinion on games. Completely. He likes exactly the opposite of things I like. He does his job properly, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:42 
INFINITE POWAH

I read some similar comments in TEH OFFISHUL EGGBOX RAG preview of the game, but they then just said, "but looks ace", so lost all the bananas.

Related point - is there any Actual Scientific Research suggesting that people are more affected by things in games than in films? Because surely that's the crux of whether "games aren't films" actually matters for this sort of thing.

I remember discussing on here the potential for trauma and/or sociopath-creation when graphics inevitably get to the photorealistic stage for FPS and such. Magnify that by "FPSes and such set in topical warzones". How long until Congolese Mass Rape Effect gets released?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:49 

It's a decent read, and a point we were discussing on here a while back so certainly relevant. Don't really have much to add other than the fact that I know a guy who spends most of his time in Helmand Province, and when he's not there, he spends his free time playing Modern Warfare 2. As do a lot of the soldiers according to him. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:51 
I forgot about this - how vain

Wow, I pretty much agree with everything Dan Whitehead said. That never happens. Very well put indeed.

I'm really, really uncomfortable with the new medal of honour. I thought CoD:WaW was objectionable enough (bar the excellent Nazi Zombies, bizarrely) and only bought that at the GF insistence.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:53 
Gogmagog

I didn't think it was a particularly well written article. What was interesting was the article in the Big Issue about PTSD amongst veteran soldiers, interviewed was a bomb disposal guy. Harrowing stuff, although bog all to do with computer games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:55 

Quote:
"Films turn war into entertainment, so why not games?" goes one popular argument. But that ignores the simple fact that games are not films. Games, by their nature, focus almost entirely on the action. Story can be woven around it, but the core of the experience is hours and hours of endless shooting. Games, and online first-person shooter games in particular, don't do things like pathos, doubt and ambiguity well - if at all.

Sort of, but the shooty bits are the best bits of most war films. And there are countless examples where much of that other stuff often seems a bit of a tacked on justification. Also it would be hella expensive to make a war film that consisted on nothing but shooty shooty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:04 
I forgot about this - how vain

MaliA wrote:
I didn't think it was a particularly well written article. What was interesting was the article in the Big Issue about PTSD amongst veteran soldiers, interviewed was a bomb disposal guy. Harrowing stuff, although bog all to do with computer games.

Well this is about computer games, so the bar is very low.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
How long until Congolese Mass Rape Effect gets released?

It'll be after the Kinect add-on comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 13:57 

I didn't know about the footage of executions thing. Now I'm glad I didn't play that game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:01 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah it was a shit game.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:07 
Paws for thought

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Haven't read it yet, but I think Dan Whitehead is a good games journalist.

I disagree.

Meanwhile the realistic FPS is my least liked type of FPS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:09 

I just like FPSs where you can alter your strategy a bit and take different approaches. The setting seems to have no bearing on whether or not I enjoy them. I like Halo frinstance but also Rainbow Six Vegas for similar reasons. I don't mind the pop-up shooting gallery types but I can only go through them once.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:15 

Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

Why do you think he isn't a good games journalist? He's undeniably good at what he does. Probably the best writer on Eurogamer in my opinion. He just likes shit things and doesn't like good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:16 

Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

Why do you think he isn't a good games journalist? He just likes shit things and doesn't like good thing.

Surely that's a bit of a failing in a critic isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:18 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

Why do you think he isn't a good games journalist? He just likes shit things and doesn't like good thing.

Well, not if "shit" just means "things Jonarob doesn't like".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:36 
Excellent Member

It's a decent read, and a point we were discussing on here a while back so certainly relevant. Don't really have much to add other than the fact that I know a guy who spends most of his time in Helmand Province, and when he's not there, he spends his free time playing Modern Warfare 2. As do a lot of the soldiers according to him. Go figure.

Why Go Figure?

Im sure pro footballers play Fifa.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:41 
Sleepyhead

LaceSensor wrote:

Why Go Figure?

I think most of them play MW2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No, Minecraft.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:48 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
markg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

Well, not if "shit" just means "things Jonarob doesn't like".

Zactly! He's a good games journalist, simple as that. He just has different tastes to me, so I rarely agree with what he has to say.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:50 

LaceSensor wrote:

Why Go Figure?

Because the entire point of the article and this thread is the fact that the new MoH game takes place in an ongoing conflict, and the issue is whether or not this and other similar shooters are a bit close to the bone or not. I was simply demonstrating that the people who actually get shot at on a daily basis in these conflicts are also the people playing the games about the conflicts, and this raises an interesting issue, for me at least. We're sat at home arguing for a bit of respect for people touched by war, when the people who are actually living it don't seem to give a shit. I think you knew that, though.

Seriously, I spend so much of my time on this forum responding to devil's advocate-type posts and "I understand the point you're trying to get across really, but I'm gonna call you on it anyway" posts, I feel like screaming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:57 

This is what I mean, here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=2142195

From now on, I'm just going to respond with "misconscrew".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:37 
Excellent Member

I prefer "Whatever, dick" but whatever works for you :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:39 
Paws for thought

Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

Why do you think he isn't a good games journalist? He's undeniably good at what he does. Probably the best writer on Eurogamer in my opinion. He just likes shit things and doesn't like good thing.

I would cite more stuff were it not for eurogamer being down, but the Braid review he did is one of the worst pieces I've read on that site, and by quite some way. He manages to fill an awful lot of words with very little content, and often can spend an entire review saying very little indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Dave wrote:
I would cite more stuff were it not for eurogamer being down, but the Braid review he did is one of the worst pieces I've read on that site, and by quite some way. He manages to fill an awful lot of words with very little content, and often can spend an entire review saying very little indeed.

Isn't that the very essence of New Games Journalism, though? Blame Gillen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:44 
Paws for thought

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

He generally actually managed to talk about stuff though. His review of Medieval:Total war was enough to turn me from "entirely not interested" to "I must buy this as soon as possible". From, you know, actually talking about the game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:45 

Mr Dave wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I disagree.

The Braid review was a fair while ago, though. I'll admit, I didn't like him before, and I'd often moan about him on here with you chaps. But over the last year or two, I've noticed he's really finding his stride as a writer. He covers all of the right areas in his reviews and does them properly. Unfortunately, he's not funny, at all, and he has vastly different expectations and opinions of games than me generally, but I know that and I know how to take his reviews now. He did used to be a bit shit, though. Like Bramwell, who still is a bit shit in my opinion, he'd fill space with fancy words that really don't belong in a video game review instead of talking about the actual game.

I'm pretty sure Whitehead got himself a bit of a reputation for this on Eurogamer (as he has on here) and he got spanked a few times in the comments section and has subsequently upped his game. As I say, I didn't like his style before, but nowadays I find myself really trying to fault his reviews, and I just can't (other than opinion), and believe me I like finding faults.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Dave wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

He generally actually managed to talk about stuff though. His review of Medieval:Total war was enough to turn me from "entirely not interested" to "I must buy this as soon as possible". From, you know, actually talking about the game.

Gillen spends most of his reviews talking about himself and his experience of the game, rather than the game itself, so I suppose there's an element of content there.

All the Whitehead reviews I've read have been decent enough. He's no John Walker, but then no one is.

RAMRaider is a DW fan, I believe, so make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:47 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Gillen isn't a games journalist and he isn't interested in it. He used it as a stepping stone to forward his comic book writing stuff. Fair play to him, but I never liked his journalism, and the sooner that nonsense is forgotten, the better.

edit: The NGJ nonsense I mean, I'm not completely writing off everything he ever did as nonsense!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:48 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Gillen spends most of his reviews talking about himself and his experience of the game, rather than the game itself, so I suppose there's an element of content there.

All the Whitehead reviews I've read have been decent enough. He's no John Walker, but then no one is.

RAMRaider is a DW fan, I believe, so make of that what you will.

Because he genuinely has improved! As above, he used to take some flak in the comments sections as pretty much the whole EG community would collectively groan when a Whitehead review was posted, so he completely changed his style and got rid of the bullshit. Now he's a good solid journalist. But as you say, no John Walker because he seems to lack a personality...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Gillen isn't a games journalist and he isn't interested in it. He used it as a stepping stone to forward his comic book writing stuff. Fair play to him, but I never liked his journalism, and the sooner that nonsense is forgotten, the better.

I think it's fair to say Gillen isn't interested in anything except Gillen. Even the comic book stuff is a vehicle for his narcissism rather than a desire to tell stories.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
He's no John Walker, but then no one is.

Point of clarification - I mean except John Walker, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:51 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I think it's fair to say Gillen isn't interested in anything except Gillen. Even the comic book stuff is a vehicle for his narcissism rather than a desire to tell stories.

This is true. Even on Twitter earlier today he was faux-cringing about something that had been posted on RPS that he wrote as a kid.

"Oh! It's horrible, something I did as a kid! Don't LOOK AT IT!" etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:52 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Dodged a "misconscrew" bullet there, Chris!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:52 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I knew you were online so I thought I'd make sure. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 15:54 

Oh snap!

I was tempted to weigh in with a "but it makes good business sense" argument, and my changed mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 16:11 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I don't think anyone is actually firing metal projectiles here, Jon. Don't be so ridiculous!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 16:29 

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I don't think anyone is actually firing metal projectiles here, Jon. Don't be so ridiculous!

Clever! :hat: :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 16:30 
Skillmeister

As soon as I see Shitehead's name attached to an article, I stop reading.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]