Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Musics
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 16:48 
SavyGamer

Tell me some cool music that I should listen too.

I've recently been listening to -

The Flashbulb - Pretty electronic music.

Amusement Parks on Fire - Atmospheric moody shogazey rock.

Propagandhi - Angry but coherent punks that are halfway between Rage Against the Machine and a sociology dissertation.

And the New Art Riot - My mates band, they are pretty cool indie/rock.

Post subject: Re: Musics
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 16:53 
Time Out for Fun

My current bands getting a bit of myspace airplay are both kinda experimental punkish alt rock

Giraffes? Giraffes!

http://www.myspace.com/giraffesgiraffes

Tera Melos

http://www.myspace.com/teramelos

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:05 
UltraMod

Today I've been listening mainly to Truly's debut album, 'Fast Stories...from Kid Coma'.

A sadly overlooked band from the same period as Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. I especially recommend 'Blue Flame Ford'.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:10 
lazy eye patch

I'd be all kinds of grateful if you could do me a quality rip of that, mister, I've been after it for years.

Saw an Amusement Parks On Fire video once, I liked it. There should always be space for moody shoegazing.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:34 
UltraMod

Who are you talking to?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 17:58 
lazy eye patch

Do me that Truly album you cunt.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:32 
UltraMod

Yessir!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:10 

LewieP wrote:
Propagandhi - Angry but coherent punks that are halfway between Rage Against the Machine and a sociology dissertation.

:this:

my latest cd for the car has 'Fuck The Border' on it. excellent stuff.

if you like them you may want to check out 'Please Inform The Captain This is a Hijack'. You wont really find anything on Youtube but Soulseek is the way forward for them.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:19 
SavyGamer

New leaked NIN track -

http://digg.com/music/New_Nine_Inch_Nai ... d_Echoplex

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 14:51 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Mmm, not bad. Is it part of the Year Zero ARG?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 18:32 
Kvnt

Man cannot live by Demilich alone.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 22:48 
Lurker

Dunno if you'll like them, but they have Propgandhi connections: The Weakerthans is the quite lovely indie-rock band from ex-Propagandhi member (and all-round genius lyricist) John K Samson: http://www.myspace.com/theweakerthans

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 22:58 
SavyGamer

thoroughly clicked.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:11 
BETEO voice of unreason

I am finding myself strangely liking the Avril Lavigne track on the Burny Pee soundtrack. This despite hating everything else she's ever done...

Am I now banned from the BETEO metal thread?

Townes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 
lazy eye patch

If you are, I am too. 'girlfriend' is the best thing that Canadian wench has ever been associated with.

It's Mr. Dave's favourite too.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:29 
BETEO voice of unreason

CUS wrote:
If you are, I am too. 'girlfriend' is the best thing that Canadian wench has ever been associated with.

Then we all clearly rule. Let's see what Dimmers or Davyddyvyvyddd think though...

Townes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:12 
Excellent Excellente

Mindless Self Indulgence.

Catchy and thoroughly enjoyable "Industrial Jungle Pussy Punk" from a band who've been doing their thing for a decade or so now.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 
SavyGamer

New, completely free, Nine Inch Nails album 'The Slip'

Oh Trent, let me count the ways I love you....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 14:51 
Worst

Bonus props to Rez-NOR for offering the album as FLACs, M4As and WAVES, the latter of which are haughty beyond even my own, demented, standards.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 15:50 
SavyGamer

throughsilver wrote:
Bonus props to Rez-NOR for offering the album as FLACs, M4As and WAVES, the latter of which are haughty beyond even my own, demented, standards.

My only disappointment is that he uses the phrase "CD quality" as a yardstick to describe the quality of the various versions. This really needs to die in fire.

I'm sick of people asking "How many songs can you fit on an iPod?" etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 15:57 
Goth

LewieP wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

My only disappointment is that he uses the phrase "CD quality" as a yardstick to describe the quality of the various versions. This really needs to die in fire.

All of this seems perfectly reasonable to me, apart from your hate of it. Can you explain what you don't like about it? CD quality is standard quality people are used to so it seems appropriate to compare other formats to that. Also it is useful to know how big these files are likely to be.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:44 
SavyGamer

Nirejhenge wrote:
LewieP wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

All of this seems perfectly reasonable to me, apart from your hate of it. Can you explain what you don't like about it? CD quality is standard quality people are used to so it seems appropriate to compare other formats to that. Also it is useful to know how big these files are likely to be.

I'm probably just being anal, but this would have been a great educational opportunity. A lot of people who are NIN but maybe not technically knowledgeable will be downloading this, and perhaps this could have been used to encourage them to have a better understanding of music formats and how they work on computers.

As it stands, I know people that think saving MP3s onto a disc will drop their quality. People want to know "how many photo's can I save on that memory card" not "what is the capacity of that memory card".

It's a perfect example of Asymmetric Information that electronics manufacturers, retailers and record labels have fostered, and reducing it will only benefit consumers.

Edit: It's not bad that it was worded the way it was, just a missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:53 
lazy eye patch

From yo' blog, LewieP:

Quote:
Trent Reznor (the man behind NIN) seems to be spearheading the free music revolution.

It's a good thing that you're new. And Mr. Bargains. And a few other reasons too. But spearheading? Nahhhhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 19:11 
Future War Cultist

It's free, because no-one in their right minds would pay for a NIN record since Further Down the Spiral.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 19:12 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

LewieP wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:
LewieP wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

I'm probably just being anal, but this would have been a great educational opportunity. A lot of people who are NIN but maybe not technically knowledgeable will be downloading this, and perhaps this could have been used to encourage them to have a better understanding of music formats and how they work on computers.

As it stands, I know people that think saving MP3s onto a disc will drop their quality. People want to know "how many photo's can I save on that memory card" not "what is the capacity of that memory card".

It's a perfect example of Asymmetric Information that electronics manufacturers, retailers and record labels have fostered, and reducing it will only benefit consumers.

Edit: It's not bad that it was worded the way it was, just a missed opportunity.

When I get a customer ask me "How many songs can that iPod hold?" while pointing at a generic Ministy of Sound (i.e. Alba) Mp3 player I usually respond with something like "Seventy six million, five thousand and three." Some just say "Oh, that's a lot...!" and some ask how...upon which I tell them I am of course assuming that each song is a nanosecond long, and has no tag data.

Sometimes if I'm feeling nicer I say "x Gigabytes worth." and if pushed "that's about y songs, on average."

But that's not often.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 19:36 
SavyGamer

CUS wrote:
From yo' blog, LewieP:

Quote:
Trent Reznor (the man behind NIN) seems to be spearheading the free music revolution.

It's a good thing that you're new. And Mr. Bargains. And a few other reasons too. But spearheading? Nahhhhhhhhhhh.

I can't think of any other artists that have put out a free album under the same circumstances. Sure, there was Smashing Pumpkins, but that's hardly the same. Radiohead too, but again, very different circumstances.

And there are lots of small bands that put out free stuff on the internet these days, but clearly this is a bit different to that.

I don't mean to say he's the first to put music out for free, but he's certainly pushing things forwards more than anyone else I can think of. Maybe spearheading was the wrong choice of word.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:16 
BETEO voice of unreason

Davydd Grimm wrote:
It's free, because no-one in their right minds would pay for a NIN record since Further Down the Spiral.

Oh so very much :this: .

Didn't you pay for Year Zero, Davydd?

Townes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:22 
lazy eye patch

I am doubtful of the market impact of this, though I don't doubt Trent's good intentions. Didn't he release an album by... Saul... Something... around the time of the Radiohead album, also for free and online? I seem to recall reading that almost nobody bothered paying for it [citation needed]

It's only that I can think of other artists who have done as Trent before now, and well, they're not known well for it, are they? Or we'd not be having this conversation. I suppose I'm dubious of how much attention will be paid to the gesture.

Erm, I also agree that they're not been so good since Further Down The Spiral, heh.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:31 
SavyGamer

Saul Williams.

And he is brilliant
He's like the anti-gangsta. You should check him out if you have any love for good Hiphop, but hate the vast majority of shite masquerading as music that's called hipop these days. He' inteligent, subversive, witty, calm and angry all at the same time.

I don't think any artists have gone:

Exposure > Big Success > Free music.

So far free music has only either been an experiment, a promotional tool for commercial releases, a "fuck you" to the record industry/labels or by bands that weren't already big. This is the first time that it is a thought result of a planned process by an artist that would stand to make a lot of money from a commercial release. I know a disc version is on the way, but that is more to placate fans who still want a physical disc (who there are a lot of).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 21:16 
I forgot about this - how vain

This was in the youtube music thread, but I'm reposting it because it's the best pop single for ages. And it's glorious.

Working Together by Gonzales.

And also because I went to see Gonzales live last week. Which was hands down the best gig I've ever seen. One guy doing Lounge Funk, then Hip Hop Rap style stuff, then a few piano solos, then Lounge funk, then loud electric stuff. *

Also had lots of inbetween song banter (which I love) and great set pieces.

Including the brilliant put down: "I didn't spit on you, I spat on the idea of you"

* I know that sounds terrible - but it isn't.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 
Peculiar, yet lovely

New(ish) Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip thing = V. Good (though it starts a little weakly. Give it a minute. It gets better every time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnKbdqjh2I

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 
Sleepyhead

sinister agent wrote:
New(ish) Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip thing = V. Good (though it starts a little weakly. Give it a minute. It gets better every time).

I'd better not watch videos at work, but if that's the one with the people with TVs for heads and the guardian angels, then it is indeed rather spiffy, and people should watch (and enjoy) it.

:)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 19:05 
Worst

Davydd Grimm wrote:

I totally loved (the left disc of) The Fragile.

But then I have never been accused of dwelling in right mind. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 
UltraMod

throughsilver: me too. I actually felt that the Fragile was better on the whole, than Downward Spiral.

Further Down the Spiral - gash.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:49 
Future War Cultist

It's possible to make one good disc out of The Fragile. With Teeth can just fuck right off (AWITHA TEEETH-A!). Year Zero only interested me because of all the spectrographically hidden messages, and the weird shit you could hear if you played the disc through a mono system.

Further Down the Spiral is the last one I can honestly say I enjoyed all the way through, possibly because I was young and stoned at the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:03 
SavyGamer

It seems so few people like With Teeth, but it has some of my favourite NIN songs on it.

You Know What You Are?
The Hand That Feeds
Every Day is Exactly the Same
The Line Begins To Blur
Right Where It Belongs

I don't think the album as a whole is that good, but those 5 songs are all great.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 
Skillmeister

I've never liked NIN, but I can listen to most of The Fragile.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 
UltraMod

I haven't really listened to anything post The Fragile, so can't comment.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 17:31 
Worst

Year Zero was hit and miss for me, but 'The Great Destroyer' was one hell of a hit. Rez-NOR goes Grime!

Further Down the Spiral was justified due to the Aphex Twin 'remix', which was a lot like most of RDJ's 'remixes'.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 17:39 
lazy eye patch

throughsilver wrote:
'The Great Destroyer' was one hell of a hit. Rez-NOR goes Grime!

Eh. Two minutes of what, to me, sounds like generic NiN, followed by a piss-poor Autechre cast-off. Sorry to be so contrary (I couldn't remember this track, you see), but... that's... no.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 18:04 
Worst

I respect your opinionz and all, but that's pretty far off the mark. Autechre have never been that dirty (not even on Chiastic Slide). It's more like a pop-'Digital Hardcore'.

Computay listen is a poor substitute for 180g black wax btw ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 18:04 
Future War Cultist

One word: Broken.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 18:10 
Paws for thought

CUS wrote:

If by favorite you actually mean 'removes all will to live' then, yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 15:18 
That Rev Chap

Hooray!

I can listen to music again.

Finally got my iPod synced up with my work iMac (after my home iMac died a horrible death a few months ago) and I've got new albums by Nick Cave and Robyn and Willie Nelson and lots of new tracks and it's excellent.

Also: Girlfriend is ace, but iTunes doesn't stock the rude version.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 15:56 

sinister agent wrote:

I picked up their album last week, absolutely brilliant, and that's coming from an anti-hip-hop person generally. Partly hilarious, and in the case of Angles and Magician's Assistant, frankly chilling.

Sadly, it's already dumped out of the top 40.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 20:30 

After just seeing Anti-Pop Consortium two nights on the trot (in Leeds headlining, then in Manchester supporting Public Enemy), I implore EVERYONE who likes Hip-Hop to listen to them! Arrhytmia is such an amazing album and their new stuff is well exciting, I can't wait for the new record.

Also, Public Enemy were INCREDIBLE last night, everyone listen to "It Take A Nation Of Millions..." and bask in the genius!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 21:01 

My taste in music isn't particularly "on the money" as it were when it comes to popular opinion, but I've just (bought - Ed) Alphabeat's album, cunningly titled "Alphabeat" and it's a rip-roaringly good listen.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 21:13 
Worst

pupil wrote:
After just seeing Anti-Pop Consortium two nights on the trot (in Leeds headlining, then in Manchester supporting Public Enemy), I implore EVERYONE who likes Hip-Hop to listen to them! Arrhytmia is such an amazing album and their new stuff is well exciting, I can't wait for the new record.

I had to miss Anti-Pop Consortium; slightly gutted.

Everybody listen to Tragic Epilogue!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 21:48 

throughsilver wrote:
I had to miss Anti-Pop Consortium; slightly gutted.

You should be very gutted mate. They were fantastic at the Brudenell on Sunday night!

I just heard today that the (wonderful) Room237 people are gonna be putting on the Melvins at the Brudenell in a couple months. That you can NOT miss!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:32 
making out to faces of death

The Dresden Dolls' new album, No Virginia, is no Yes, Virginia. I'll have to listen more but so far it's mostly a bit hmm. Hopefully it will grow.

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next