Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Nintendo 3DS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:39 
Terrible Human Being

Anonymous X wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I haven't played Animal Crossing for a few weeks now. I just haven't found the time and Donkey Kong is taking over.

Oh noes! You may return to find your town littered with weeds and maybe bugs in your house. Get back in there, before it's too late!

Not so much with the Beautiful Town ordinance in place. :)

I'd wondered if people had stopped playing AC:NL, as I never see any Beexers with their 3DSes online any more. I'm still playing every day, if only for a quick 20 minutes to dig up the fossils and plant some flowers.

I currently have three 3DS games currently sitting sealed and unplayed (Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis Open, and, err, New Art Academy) due to Animal Crossing. :)

I'm still on it every day, although I usually do the rounds (Fossils, trees, shops, weeds, water flowers) on the train into work and other bits later on in the evening. Lack of people online is one of those things - if nobody is ever on, nobody ever goes on because nobody is ever on.

Post subject: The Nintendo 3DS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 20:02 

I'm still playing! Brewster's cafe is open now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:17 

Agent Starling wrote:
I recently acquired the wetsuit and now spend much of my time running off the cliffs and leaping into the sea. This makes me stupidly happy (both in the game and in real life). :)

You can leap into the sea from the cliffs? :o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:23 

zaphod79 wrote:
Okay - i logged back in and still no code - went to the 'my account section' and the questionaire was back for me - i filled it in and *this time* got the code displayed on screen.

Do you want to try that again - and right now i have a code for someone who's not yet registered their 3DS if anyone wants it ping me

Had another try last night but still no luck. I won't deny I have zero patience when web sites don't work properly, and this Nintendo one appears to be especially incompetent. I'll still log in now and then, in case it changes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:26 

Mimi wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
I recently acquired the wetsuit and now spend much of my time running off the cliffs and leaping into the sea. This makes me stupidly happy (both in the game and in real life). :)

You can leap into the sea from the cliffs? :o

Yep! Well, perhaps more a gentle flop than a massive leap, but still, you can do it. Just found it by accident really - chucked the wet suit on, look a long run up to one of the cliffs just above the sea, then jumped off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 17:23 
Worst

After some adventures in bureaucracy, I now have Animal Crossing! Thanks to Zaphod for the code and Agent Starling for the sterling effort. Looking forward to getting stuck in!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 17:58 

Result! Hope you like the game. You're in a good position there as those of us who've been playing for a while now will have all the different fruits etc, so you can 'cheat' a bit and get the different trees and all that a bit quicker if you need to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 21:12 
Terrible Human Being

Agent Starling wrote:
Result! Hope you like the game. You're in a good position there as those of us who've been playing for a while now will have all the different fruits etc, so you can 'cheat' a bit and get the different trees and all that a bit quicker if you need to.

FRUITED UP LIKE A GREENGROCER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 21:28 

By the way, thanks for your letter the other day. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 21:33 
Worst

Agent Starling wrote:
By the way, thanks for your letter the other day. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 22:25 

So, the other villagers in our AC towns.

I have one, Bud, who I love to bits. He's a genuine personality, makes me chuckle a lot, and my (real life) day is always made better for chatting to him.

I have formed a bond with him and would seriously be gutted if he ever leaves town! He said he was going to, once, but I chose the option during the chat of asking him to stay, which thankfully he did.

I'm sure the characters coming and going are random choices made during the course of the game, but still there are some lovely personalities with some of them, while others are plain irritating, but that's all fine as it makes for a more interesting village overall.

I will do everything in my limited power to keep Bud in my village forever. I :luv: him. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 

I love Barold.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 14:30 

I've not seen him yet, but yesterday I had a new resident move in who's come from a town I linked to via the Street Pass thingy, which I thought was quite a neat touch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 

Don't think anyone's still playing Animal Crossing, never find anyone's village gates open and I haven't had a visitor in ages. :(

The 'relays' for Street Passes seem to be in effect though, as I don't fail to pick up multiple Street Passes when out with my 3DS when I used to get 1 a fortnight if I was lucky. That's a handy way of building up some Animal Crossing furniture sets, at least.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 

I play in the mornings, before Russell awakes. I've been playing this last hour, actually. But I think I just tend to be on at a different time to most folks so I tend not to bother opening the gates.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 14:57 

Still playing here too, at least every other day. I tend to not open my gates as I have all the fruit now so am not really in the mood to wander (sorry if that sounds selfish!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 14:59 
Skillmeister

I pop on every five days or so to pull up weeds. Spent aaaages wandering around looking for a Scorpion without any luck, so that sapped my strength somewhat. Honestly think the island and its plentiful beetles has knackered the economy of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 15:11 

I only go to the island when I'm trying to raise money for a particular thing or upgrade. I'm not building g that quickly, though.

Every Friday I think the new Harvest Moon game is about to drop through my letterbox and it never does.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 0:42 
Terrible Human Being

I'd forgotten the insanity of Gracie's prices in her store having briefly seen them in my couple of weeks or so on the Wii version. Oh my.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 13:25 
Excellent Member

Hi!

Myp bought me a 3DS for my birthday and Animal Crossing, which I've been playing obsessively for the last 7 days.

I've torn myself away from AC for long enough to sort out my online code thing. I've added everyone's codes from the first page of this topic but apparently I need to be added back. If anyone would like to be my friend please add me. My number is 0361-7146-3621 :)

Now to read through the last 33 pages of this topic :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:02 
Awesome
Yes

Ange wrote:
Hi!

Myp bought me a 3DS for my birthday and Animal Crossing, which I've been playing obsessively for the last 7 days.

I've torn myself away from AC for long enough to sort out my online code thing. I've added everyone's codes from the first page of this topic but apparently I need to be added back. If anyone would like to be my friend please add me. My number is 0361-7146-3621 :)

Is that code definitely right?
It won't let Mimi add you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:34 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mr Russell wrote:
Ange wrote:
Hi!

Is that code definitely right?
It won't let Mimi add you.

Code worked for me - although it insisted i was offline for ages before it let me enter it - i've added your details to the list

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 15:07 
Awesome
Yes

zaphod79 wrote:

Code worked for me - although it insisted i was offline for ages before it let me enter it - i've added your details to the list

Apparently Nintendo were having problems.

No doubt all the servers were overloaded running delete requests on Zardoz's Star Points.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 

Mimi wrote:
I only go to the island when I'm trying to raise money for a particular thing or upgrade. I'm not building g that quickly, though.

I haven't been to the island since early July. For money-making I replaced all my fruit trees with perfect peaches, amass them over several days in the cupboard space, then visit my sister's village and sell the lot, playing off most of a mortgage instalment in one go. Not exacting thrilling gameplay, but it does the job.

Surprised how slowly I'm progressing - sure I'd 'finished' the GameCube and Wii games by now, as in paid off the final house loan, but although admittedly there's far more to do in New Leaf.

I'm finding that the people I Street Pass who play Animal Crossing either have complete houses stuffed with rare items and furniture sets that I haven't seen before, or single room houses with cardboard boxes in, and nothing inbetween.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 20:03 
Terrible Human Being

Gates open for the next hour or so in case anyone fancies a visit. Come and look at my mighty T&T Emporium (I don't mean penis. This time.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 0:59 

Curses, I was out shopping at the time. And haven't had Internet access all day. Bah.

I almost certainly have spent enough Bells to get the Emporium, but I've only seen Gracie once in my village, and I didn't pass the test. Double bah.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 

MrPSB wrote:
Gates open for the next hour or so in case anyone fancies a visit. Come and look at my mighty T&T Emporium (I don't mean penis. This time.)

Aw, was in the bath!

I'll leave the gates if Coddland open this eve.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 17:33 

So I buckled and got my self an aqua blue Nintendo 3DS. Now I wish I'd done it a long time ago - I love it to bits! I only have Super Mario 3D Land so far, but it's awesome - best Mario since SMG 2, and a perfect showcase for the use of 3D which works far better than I expected. I remember trying it out in one of those Nintendo kiosks and not being impressed - even getting a headache - well it just works much better when you are sitting down, relaxing and holding it properly. And Super Mario 3D Land is also much better than the first few levels would let you think, I guess.

Well, enough rambling, here's my friend code: 1048-9400-7200.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 18:35 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:

I've added you - make sure you add everyone else on the list : viewtopic.php?p=765264#p765264

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 18:41 
Worst

lasermink wrote:
And Super Mario 3D Land is also much better than the first few levels would let you think, I guess.

It reminded me of SMW and SM64 in that the first level or two are a nice intro to the controls and stuff. Orienting yourself.

I need to get going on the flipside levels... Love that game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 20:41 

Lasermink: added.

Also, I spent a fabulous Halloween in AC the other night, and still have some candy left which I think I'll save for Christmas presents.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 23:47 

zaphod79 wrote:
lasermink wrote:

I've added you - make sure you add everyone else on the list : viewtopic.php?p=765264#p765264

Thank you and done!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 15:12 
I forgot about this - how vain

I'll try and add you tonight.

I love my 3DS so much. It's reversed my position on the whole 'iOS/Android will kill portables' debate.

Actually, I still think they probably will, but god I hope they don't.

I suspect portables might become like comics are today. Something an ever aging population love, but increasingly abandoned by the young.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 16:28 
Excellent Member

Nintendo could fight other portable devices on more even ground if they cut the price of games. Seriously, it's ridiculous. It's not only compared to iOS or android that the games are expensive, but also compared to every other non-Nintendo console out there. Not only they are expensive, but they're prices almost never decrease.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 16:38 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Nintendo could fight other portable devices on more even ground if they cut the price of games. Seriously, it's ridiculous. It's not only compared to iOS or android that the games are expensive, but also compared to every other non-Nintendo console out there.

Is that really true? A quick check on Amazon of newer 3DS stuff (Pokemon X/Y, Arkham Origins: Blackgate, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy) has them all hovering around the £32 mark which seems to be about what Vita games go for and is certainly less than brand new 360/PS3 games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 16:57 
Excellent Member

Give it a couple months and x360 and PS3 games are selling for half. Give it one year and they're selling for a quarter. Games for Nintendo consoles keep their prices for a long time or even forever. And even though a game like Fire Emblem or Etrian Odissey might be worth the money, other games, mainly arcade ones are way to expensive, specially comparing to what indie games on steam or consoles that cost between 5 and 15€.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 17:58 

Looking at the time-chart for my games I've got

65hrs + in Animal Crossing (and growing)
35hrs in Donkey Kong
30hrs in Super Mario 3D Land
30hrs in Pokemon (and growing)
15hrs in Picross
15hrs in Monster Hunter (currently on hold till I get a WiiU)

My 3DS games have been incredible value at <£35 each.

Also, the whole reasons the console industry is heading for a crash is that games hemorragm value. Hence endless DLC and micropayments.

Quality games that keep there value and are full to the brim? Worth the money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 18:03 
Excellent Member

How come is the console industry heading to a crash? Seems very healthy to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:33 
8-Bit Champion

New trailer for Zelda : A Link between worlds and i can see some familiar things from Link to the Past in there

Only about 2 weeks till it comes out !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 

RuySan wrote:

Didn't really explain myself. I meant that it often gets reported that as so few games a year actually make a profit for the publishers they effectively support all the other failures. Hence less and less risks being taken. Scaremongers use this to predict another crash like the one in the 80s.

Nintendo have managed to preserve the value of their games. It's an incredibly healthy position to be in.

(But not if you can't sell any WiiUs)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 13:09 
Excellent Member

Dr Lave wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Didn't really explain myself. I meant that it often gets reported that as so few games a year actually make a profit for the publishers they effectively support all the other failures. Hence less and less risks being taken. Scaremongers use this to predict another crash like the one in the 80s.

Nintendo have managed to preserve the value of their games. It's an incredibly healthy position to be in.

(But not if you can't sell any WiiUs)

I do think that's a good sign. It's a warning that videogame budgets have become ridiculously high. It's not only indies that are the consequence of this reality, but Ubisoft has also been making good "budget" games that in most ways are more fun than AAA releases, like the Rayman games, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or the upcoming Might & Magic X. If this is the sign of a crash, let the crash happen. I don't remember ever so many great games being released, and now that i look back, the period between 2001 and 2009 (more or less) was really the dark ages of videogaming. Unless we make an exception for the Nintendo DS, of course

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 17:32 
8-Bit Champion

Review embargo is up on the new Zelda (due out next Friday)

IGN : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/t ... lds-review - 9.4
Joystiq : http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/14/the-l ... -a3d236e2/ - 5 stars
Gamespot : http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-leg ... 0-6415543/ - 9.0
Eurogamer : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... s-review_2 - 8.0
Edge : http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-l ... ds-review/ - 8.0
Destructiod : http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-l ... 5374.phtml 6.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 19:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Destructoid seem to be going against the grain on a few reviews recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 20:35 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
Destructoid seem to be going against the grain on a few reviews recently.

I think for some of the early ones they were applauded for 'telling it straight' but they seem to have taken that as a cue to rate all the 'big' games lower as well - if you read the reviews they all point out the flaws in the game in the exact same way that destructiod did - but loved the game anyway.

A Link To The Past was one of my favorite SNES games and going back to that world even with the 'limits' that have been described there is something i'm still keen to do.

Right now the Metacritic score is 91 : http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/the- ... een-worlds

Thats 34 positive reviews (i.e. everyone else) and one 'mixed' review (Destructoid)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 18:26 
Excellent Member

Destructoid said the game has no heart, which is kind of a big flaw, even if it's a highly subjective one, to give the game a 7 or an 8.

Still, they're the most trustable game website when it comes to reviewing and rating imo, except for RPS, but they don't rate the games anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 16:22 
8-Bit Champion

New 3DS offer if anyone has picked one up and not registered yet on Nintendo's website hold on for a week

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/SUP ... 31595.html

Quote:
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND Welcome Promotion

With countless great games available to enjoy, from new releases like Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy to favourites like Mario Kart 7, there's never been a better time to join the Nintendo 3DS family. And between November 27th and January 13th 2014, if you register a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system and one of 15 top games, you can claim a free download code for SUPER MARIO 3D LAND with our SUPER MARIO 3D LAND Welcome Promotion!

For more information on how to claim and the promotion itself, please check out the How To Claim and Terms & Conditions sections of this promotional page.

Taking part in the promotion

Claiming your free download code for SUPER MARIO 3D LAND couldn't be easier!
Step 1

Register a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system and one of 15 eligible games at http://www.club-nintendo.com between 15:01 (UK time) on November 27th 2013 and 22:59 (UK time) on January 13th 2014.

Eligible games:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (launching November 22nd)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi’s Mansion 2
LEGO CITY® Undercover: The Chase Begins
Sonic Lost World (Nintendo 3DS version)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS version)
Pokémon X
Pokémon Y
Bravely Default (launching December 6th)
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Mario Kart 7
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Step 2

Log in to Club Nintendo 24 hours later and check the promotional banners for your free download code. The deadline for claiming the download code is 22:59 (UK time) on February 13th 2014.
Step 3

Use your download code in Nintendo eShop before 22:59 (UK time) on March 13th 2014 to download SUPER MARIO 3D LAND for free!

For more information, please check out the Terms & Conditions section of this promotional page.
How to download your free game

When you've received your free download code, head to Nintendo eShop to redeem it. Just follow these simple instructions:
Step 1

Ensure that your Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system is connected to the internet. For more information on how to connect your system to the internet, see our Nintendo 3DS Support page.

(Wireless broadband internet service required. Acceptance of the Nintendo 3DS Service User Agreement and Privacy Policy required)
Step 2

On the HOME Menu of your Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system, select the Nintendo eShop icon to launch Nintendo eShop. For more information, see our Nintendo eShop page.
Step 3

Scroll to the far left of Nintendo eShop and select 'Settings/Other', then tap 'Redeem Download Code' – enter your free download code in the box displayed and select 'OK'.

Follow the on-screen instructions and select 'Download' to start the download process – you can then choose to download the game immediately or download it while your Nintendo 3DS system is in Sleep Mode. Whichever method you choose, however, please note that your Nintendo 3DS system will need to be connected to the internet for the duration of the download.

For more information on downloading games from Nintendo eShop, see our How to buy games page.

For further information regarding this promotion, please refer to the Terms & Conditions tab of this promotional website.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 17:00 

For fecks sake, couldn't they have offered an alternative for someone who maybe just bought a 3DS a couple of weeks ago along with Super Mario 3D Land as the one accompanying game? Would that be too much to ask?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 20:53 
Excellent Member

I recently bought a 2DS and at least one of those games. Am I eligible or not? :shrug:

(edit) Ah, it seems not:

Quote:
You must have registered two products: (i) a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system (European version; Nintendo 2DS excluded) and (ii) one out of fifteen eligible games in Club Nintendo at http://www.club-nintendo.com between 27th November 2013, 15:01 (UK time) and 13th January 2014, 22:59 (UK time).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The new Zelda is out this weekend! Brilliant... Can't wait.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 13:51 

Excited for Zelda, but I've just far too many games still to play on my 3DS (Pokemon (5 badges in), Animal Crossing (never ending), Fire Emblem (yet to start), VVVVVVV and Monster Hunter (although I'm getting that for the WiiU too).

So I'll pick it up when I actually need a game.

This year's Xmas Nintendo game will be Super Mario 3D World.

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next