Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Nintendo 3DS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 22:50 

But yeah, there is a bit of a lack of games...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 23:02 
EvilTrousers

I got my first StreetPass hit on Ridge Racer today. I opened the 3ds up after a shopping trip and I had 2 hits and 1 for a StreetPass duel.

It turns out a StreetPass duel is like a duel to the death only with a machine gun against a biro. You get your opponents time to beat at the relevant level but you can buy boost starts, full nitro and any car you want to beat the time with. It's the most unlevel playing field going. Utter bollocks.

I did finish StreetPass quest though and won a crown which means (for the three people who will understand what I'm on about) I can now be a moderator at fruitforums.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 23:35 
SavyGamer

I got Zelda.

It's like ocarina of time, but prettied up and in 3D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 23:54 
Can you dig it?

I was taking a slash during an advert break (I forget what I was watching) and heard a familiar tune coming from the living room... There was that short moment while the gears in my head clunked into action as I tried to place it... yes, it was the Song of Time.

I used the tellybox (equivalent of sky+) rewind feature and watched the advert a couple of times - I loved Ocarina of Time, it was great, OMGWTFBBQ it's out in another incarnation, on the 3DS. I was then tempted to get one, as we are currently debt free and even have a little cash to spend.

Later that evening, another 3DS advert, but a more general one. My wife actually noticed it and even paid enough attention to recognise it and say 'Your DS hasn't left that drawer since we moved here'.

We moved here a year ago.

I think that money will get spent on something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 

LewieP wrote:
I got Zelda.

It's like ocarina of time, but prettied up and in 3D.

I've been playing my g.f.'s copy. It's great, isn't it? A lot more joyful than the fiddly DS Zelda games, certainly. Subjectively, it's been like playing a new game, as I've never replayed OoT since 1998, so all the dungeons and side quests are all new to me. Remarkable how well the whole game design has stood up in 2011, even if the lack of locations gets rather too obvious at times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Agent Starling wrote:
I'm still not convinced it's necessary in a world where the iPod Touch makes an excellent (and cheap, especially the games) handheld console, and I understand it's not sold terribly well, but there you go.

That's about the size of it, £30-£40 per game just seems positively crackers now, and it's not as if the vast majority of 3DS games deliver anything you can't get on the iThings for a fraction of the cost, once you get past the 3D (which I can't even see anyway).

I'm not sorry I took mine back in all honesty, I can't see that I'd have been getting many (any?) games for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 13:42 

Urgh. It's pay day today and I was going to buy one, but I've just heard that Amazon US has suspended sales of the 3DS because of issues with the hinge and the bottom screen scratching the top screen. Apparently they're getting so many returns they've had to place it "under review". Not good. Should I wait for a hardware revision? I want to play OOT 3D :(.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosm ... 572&sr=8-1

Quote:
Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

And someone on NeoGAF said:

Quote:
Talked with an Amazon rep and this is what he said:

The reason why this is under a review :
The flip-screen is loose when its opened, please inform them that Nintendo has confirmed as long as the upper screen locks into place, the unit is within Nintendo’s design specification. Customers can call 1-800-255-3700

He also gave me this link to use for further help

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...%20and%20hinge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 18:08 

3DS get! Got it with OOT for £200 in GAME... Also bough Dragon Quest IX because I couldn't yarr it properly on my DS Lite. So far I'm mightily impressed. OOT is fantastic with the added 3D and it controls beautifully. It's on charge now, though. :(

I'll post some extended impressions in a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 18:16 

I had a go on Pilotwings the other day. It's shit and the 3D caned my eyes to fuck. Quite unlike playing on the one Trousers had, in fact.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 18:34 

Depends on the surrounding lighting and slider position, in my experience. Seems to make quite a big difference to whether eyestrain happens or not. I imagine a fair few consumers are put off the 3DS totally after playing a demo unit on the 'wrong' setting, to be honest.

Pilotwings? Much as I like the classic entries to the series, it's just a portion of Wii Sports Resort rejigged with the Pilotwings trademark added artificially. There's very little substance or real challenge, unfortunately. Does demonstrate the 3D effect superbly, but that doesn't make up for having only eight hours of gameplay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 18:57 

By the way, if anyone is worried like I was: that Amazon thing was due to a 'bad batch' with dodgy hinges which were being returned frequently, rather than a common fault with the system, hence my purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 21:07 

Oh yeah, add me to your friend list guyzzzz!!

4983-5073-4622

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 22:28 

I will deffo be getting one for Christmas and am very excited. I think I'll get the Zelda game as I've never played this and so should probably rectify that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:26 

Sorry WTB... http://kotaku.com/5825495/nintendo-3ds- ... price-drop

Quote:
Boy, those 3DS sales sure fell off a cliff. So much so that Nintendo has instituted one of the swiftest and deepest price cuts for a handheld in recent memory.

The 3DS only went on sale earlier this year for $249, but as of August 12, it'll be slashed all the way down to $169.99. That's...wow.

But, a silver lining!

Quote:
In addition to the price cut for new consumers, those who bought/buy a 3DS before the August 12 markdown will be able to download 20 free games from the 3DS eShop. That offer comes in the form of ten NES Virtual Console games (including classics like Zelda and Super Mario Bros.), which will be available after September 1, and ten Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games (like Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion), which will be available a little later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 
Time Out for Fun

So hopefully I only have to wait another year for them to release the new prettier version, and will by then cost about £100. Just like the DSlite launch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 
Hibernating Druid

Still don't want one at all.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:00 

Yeah yeah yeah. Fucking CUNTS!

But yeah, I'll happily lap up 20 free games. Especially Yoshi's Island. I look forward to eventually playing them in 2013 when they bother releasing them.

(CUNTS)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 
Participant in dramatic games

170 euros here announced now too, that makes it a different ball game, this is within my impulse buy range..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 
Excellent Member

What will the price drop in the UK be?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 

Alarm wrote:
What will the price drop in the UK be?

"About a third" says Eurogamer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 
UltraMod

I will buy a PS3 before I buy a 3DS.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 
Hibernating Druid

:this:

When the PS3 is £100, obv.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 

This should certainly liven things up a bit. Of course, it should've launched at this price, but seeing as there aren't any games for it yet, I don't think they're totally doomed with the 3DS. A few more games and 1/3 off the price, and they should start selling. Especially if more people start having a go on the machine and seeing how effective the 3D is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 

Zardoz wrote:
:this:

When the PS3 is £100, obv.
Do what I did and get one for free with an overpriced phone contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 
Hibernating Druid

Still got over a year on my current contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 

You should be able to get one just in time for the next Last Guardian delay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 
Hibernating Druid

Tru dat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 
SavyGamer

£130 is the new UK price.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 
Excellent Member

What was the launch price?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 13:07 

Over £200 I think. Was it £230 or something? Now they're about £180, so £130 is a pretty significant drop either way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Apologies if its already been mentioned but when does this price drop come into effect?

I'm just the sort of guy to spunk 130 quid on a console I don't need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:16 
Excellent Member

A console had £100 lumped off the RRP shortly after launch a few years ago. Was it the Xbox?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:17 

TheVision wrote:
Apologies if its already been mentioned but when does this price drop come into effect?

I'm just the sort of guy to spunk 130 quid on a console I don't need.

A couple of weeks into August I think!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:18 
SavyGamer

Aye, the Xbox and the n64 were both pretty quick droppers.

It was £200 at launch, although could be gotten for less online (I got mine for £158ish I think).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:26 

People are writing the 3DS off left right and centre now thanks to the price drop. I'm not sure I agree. Of course, I would say that. I have an iPhone and I buy a couple of games for it every week. I use it all of the time. But nothing I've played on there matches OOT in 3D - as fantastic as the iPhone is. Having said that, I wouldn't get my 3DS out on the bus, but I use my iPhone on the bus constantly. In my life there's room for both.

As for the Vita, I'm sure I'll get one, seeing as I usually wind up buying everything at some point, but at this stage, like the PSP before it, I'm not sure where that would fit in. I have my home consoles for "serious" graphically intensive games. The 3DS (and the DS before it) is great for laying on my bed or chilling in the conservatory and having a blast, and the iPhone is ideal for keeping me entertained when I don't have access to anything else.

So I'm not sure I agree with the general opinion that seems to be taking prominence - the iPhone serves the "casual" and the Vita serves the "hardcore", whilst the 3DS withers in the middle. Time will tell, of course. I'm just looking forward to the next Dragon Quest, Snake Eater 3D, Mario and hopefully a few Castlevanias.

There's no denying the success of the iThings, but I'd be interested to know how many of the "masses" actually see their iPhones as a legitimate replacement for a proper handheld console - despite the fact that apps are selling by the bucketload (mainly because they're so damn cheap) - does your Average Joe genuinely think "I don't need to buy a handheld console ever again", or do they just think "this is cool for a really quick blast, but I still want a 3DS/Vita". Are there actually three types of gaming systems? Ultra portable, dedicated handheld and home console? Or is that just me being daft?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:34 
Participant in dramatic games

rev stu's take http://wosblog.podgamer.com/2011/07/28/ ... more-10190

@wtb, i think the general public do see the iphone touch as a replacement at the moment.. so many games , so many apps... the DS created a marked that moved on..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:56 
Excellent Member

It'll be interesting to see how it fares this Christmas. Assuming they've got some great game out by then, it should do fairly well if they sell it for ~£130.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 15:06 
Where are you?

I think Christmas could save it, but then all Apple needs to do is get aggressive with the low-end iPod touch and Nintendo is, in part, fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 15:07 

There is Mario Kart and a Mario Bros. game before the end of the year. So major games which need to sell well. It must all add up from a business point of view to drop the price now rather than after christmas. Get as many units out as possible so these gamea stand a chance of making money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 18:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I asked this on Twitter but got ignored... I'm not bitter... :droool:

Anyway, will an American 3DS play UK games?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 18:49 

TheVision wrote:
I asked this on Twitter but got ignored... I'm not bitter... :droool:

Anyway, will an American 3DS play UK games?

Narp. Fuckin' region locking. >:(

Anyway, 3DS. Never thought it'd be anywhere as big as the DS, but it's done worse that I expected it to. I suspect that in time the 3DS will be come to be considered an 'in-between' Nintendo handheld, like how the relatively short-lived Game Boy Color was a precursor to the Game Boy Advance.

(Although, saying that, I expect a reasonable spike in hardware and software sales once Animal Crossing is released.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 21:24 

Gameboy 2 in three years? I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I remember at launch, the DS was touted - by Nintendo - as a stop-gap between the Game Boy Advance and the Game Boy 2! I want my Game Boy 2!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

How much could I flog a 3DS with Ghost Recon for? I never use it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I suppose it depends... how much do you want for it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
How much could I flog a 3DS with Ghost Recon for? I never use it :)

I'll give you £150 if you throw in a PS3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

TheVision wrote:
I suppose it depends... how much do you want for it?

Just did a scan of ebay, I'm thinking £140 seems reasonable?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Has it got the box?

Would you take £120 for it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'll look for the box, I don't usually chuck them away, but then I also live with Mrs T, so all bets are off :D Let me have a look tonight.

I would take £130 delivered assuming I can find the box :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Cheers man. I don’t want to rip you off so if you think you can get more on eBay, by all means go with that.

The box is a bit of a deal breaker for my OCD ways so if you have got it.. you may have a deal on your hands!

What colour is it by the way?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 
Comfortably Dumb

Hmm.. I was debating picking up one of those Zavvi 3DS consoles and then offloading my DS Lite to offset the cost a little, but I didn't realise the 3DS has no GBA slot.

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next