Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Nintendo 3DS
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 20:31 

Not knowing for sure, the safe assumptions would be 1.) not enough to actually be useful, and 2.) too soon. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 23:32 

I really reeeealllyyyy was going to wait to get one or the next iteration. I haven't even been keeping up with the news or reviews on it. But a combination of the Tesco offer, some clubcard vouchers, the girlfriend saying that I was going to get one anyway, a crappy time at work at the moment and the fact that I'm still rocking a launch day DS phat resulted in a mad dash to Tesco's this evening.

I got Pilotwings. I've never played a Pilotwings game before and it seemed to be the most 3D-y game available. (Also being a Nintendo game it would be the least likely to go down in price.) It is very much in the Wii Sports/Fit etc style and I'm having fun with it, but it's one of those games where you start tilting the system which throws the image. My eyes do feel a bit funny.

I've had a quick go on the inbuilt games and they are most impressive.

There was a lot of stock in the Tesco I went to. Has it been selling poorly or is there just lot's available?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 0:39 

It does make your eyes feel funny at first, but you get worryingly used to it.

I have a lazy left eye and astigmatism in my right eye. My glasses help correct both, but 3D gimmicky things can be a problem for me and I'm finding I have to hold my 3DS at a very slight angle for it to work properly, but it is quite impressive when it does work and you can of course turn the 3D effect off at will. But yeah, I'm always tilting the bloody thing about when playing SSFIV and suddenly turning the screen into a blurry mess.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:15 

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/26/ninte ... -per-game/
Quote:
The 3D is probably going to be annoying for a lot of people, so much so that they won’t like it. I’ve pointed in a previous post that the eye strain is pretty bad. If I’ve been playing for a while, it feels like someone has been pressing their fingers on my temples. Some people who don’t see 3D well in theaters aren’t going to like this and may complain about headaches. Nintendo has advised that children under six, a big part of the DS audience, shouldn’t view the 3DS in stereoscopic 3D. Nintendo warns users to take a 10 minute break for every half hour of viewing.
Are those last two points accurate?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:39 
Can you dig it?

I really don't think this is for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 0:51 

Looking though the 11 1/2 pages of health and safety in the manual those two points are true. The no under 6 rule seems important as there is an option to disable the 3d effect in the parental controls and there is box with the warning on the front page. The 10 minute breaks are mentioned a few times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 
SavyGamer

Apparently there is an unlockable Rhythm Tengoku visualiser for the music player.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 

Yeah, those two points are indeed accurate. They also tell you not to have 3D switched on whilst playing in a moving vehicle - I can imagine you'd get pretty severe motion sickness from doing that.

The 3D effect is a little weird at first and it does make your eyes go a bit funny. I have to say though, I found I got used to it alarmingly quickly. I can definitely see that there are people out there who simply won't like it, whatever, and will stick to having the effect turned off permanently. For me, I think it works quite well. It's not the same as the Virtual Boy at all, because you're not staring at flickering red LEDs with your head encased in a plastic monstrosity.

And to be honest, it's quite a cool little console even with the 3D effect turned off. I had a play with the Augmented Reality stuff on it yesterday and some of that is incredibly clever - way, way beyond similar stuff I'd tried before on the iPhone.

In fact, the only problem I really have with the machine is it's short battery life. I've no idea if you get much more play time from turning the WiFi and 3D effect off or not, but I suspect you might.

Anyway, the 3DS is something you really need to try before you buy, particularly whilst playing a game, and you need to give it a good go, because initially it does seem really odd. Maybe even see if you can demo it somewhere, then go away for a bit, and come back later for a second demo to see how you feel about it. Certainly if we have any more Beex meets in the London area at any point, I'll very happily bring my console along for people to try.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:35 
Hibernating Druid

They sound horrendous.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Especially if, to play it, you have to spend 25% of your time not playing it :S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 
Hibernating Druid

I hope this console fucks them over.

But it wont.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:59 

It's the first Nintendo console since the SNES I've actually been especially bothered about. :S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:09 

The friend list seems a bit better. One universal list, tells you if they are online, little bobbing Mii head plus you can write a 16 character message. Still a friend code though, but then I guess that means you can have whatever name you want. My friend code is 4940-5426-3390.

Some of the menus only work with the touch screen, you can't select things using the D-pad which is a bit of oversight.

And it has an IR port on it which is a bit odd. The only thing I could think it could be used for is for factory programming.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:06 

Zio wrote:
It's the first Nintendo console since the SNES I've actually been especially bothered about. :S

I dream of there one day being another Nintendo console as pure win as the Super NES. A dream unlikely to come true. >:|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 

I went to a gig last night in London and took my 3DS for something to do on the train, leaving it in sleep mode whilst on the tube and walking to and from the pub in Islington. When I got home, I noticed Street Pass had picked up the Miis of two random strangers to play stuff in Street Plaza with!

I really, really like this console. There's far more to it than the 3D screen gimmick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 

Also, my friend code is 1633-4173-1234. I've added Bluecup. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 14:04 
SavyGamer

Those Miis will pop up in games too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 15:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 16:09 
SavyGamer

Pilotwings is pretty great actaully.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 16:48 
Best
Board Mother

I refuse to believe that. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 17:44 

LewieP wrote:
Pilotwings is pretty great actaully.

The Super NES and the N64 ones? Yes. Much so. Tech demos that happened to be very decent games.

Bit sceptical of the new one, admittedly without having played it yet. I enjoyed the Pilotwings tribute section in Wii Sports Resort, but they didn't last me more than part of a single day's play. If Pilotwings Resort is just a spruced-up port of the flying segments of WSR, I don't think it would hold my interest for long. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 17:57 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I refuse to believe that. Ever.

I can see me getting one just to play Pilotwings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 19:35 
Worst

Anonymous X wrote:
Zio wrote:

I dream of there one day being another console as pure win as the Super NES. A dream unlikely to come true. >:|

feteo ^__^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 

Added Zio last night. Went though straight away and could see he was online playing Ridge Racer. Much better Nintendo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:09 
Excellent Member

Not sure how bad this is yet (nintendo are in downplay mode) but people have started to return the 3ds because it's giving them headaches. Game are being bastards and offering returns at -£30 of sale price, HMV will take them back with no penalty for a limited time. Last week Nintendo announced that you should only play in 3D mode for half an hour at a time and that the console was not sutable for under 7s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 

Honestly, I play on mine shitloads and it hasn't given me any headaches. It felt really weird the first time I played on it and made my eyes go a bit funny, but it's been fine ever since.

I do keep walking into things now though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 
Awesome
Yes

Zio wrote:
Honestly, I play on mine shitloads and it hasn't given me any headaches. It felt really weird the first time I played on it and made my eyes go a bit funny, but it's been fine ever since.

I do keep walking into things now though.

God, imagine if the world was in 3D all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 

I've been reading the Ngamer feature on the 3DS today. It's a shame that there aren't any in shops for you to just have a look at to experience it, because it's impossible to convey on the TV how it might work. I'd love to see just what the effect is like and how convincing it is.

Someone said it can take a while to calibrate the settings to work for 'you' though, so perhaps that's why they've not been put on shop displays. That and the fact that the original DSs had their screens scratched to hell in the first 2 days of being put out as test units on the shop floors. Well, around here, anyway.

I'm glad to hear they've finally sorted out their stupid internet connection thing, though it's a shame they couldn't have made it work retrospectively on older games as I've never been able to get things like Mariokart, etc online.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 

Mimi wrote:
I've been reading the Ngamer feature on the 3DS today. It's a shame that there aren't any in shops for you to just have a look at to experience it, because it's impossible to convey on the TV how it might work.
Most Game, Gamestation, etc shops have a demo unit behind the counter -- just ask to try it out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 

Well, I'm not much out into those places at the moment, but I did hear that. We went in when they first came out but it's a tiny crowded shop and I was too embarassed :p I'm more the take a sneaky look over someone's shoulder. Plus, the smelly men in there would then probably try to converse.

Really, it stinks in there. A mixture of the two smells 'unwashed' and 'Lynx'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:04 

I first saw the new Nintendogs+cats in a department store on a shelf behind glass. I could see the 3D effect OK, but almost immediately felt weird, like after looking at those funky autostereograms.

Then, yesterday, I tried Pilotwings in a proper new Nintendo 3DS kiosk. I felt fine, and the 3D effect worked fine, except that the reflections of the store lights in the screen made it nearly impossible to find an angle where I could both see the effect and not get annoyed by the lights.

I didn't like the analog controller very much. I think I shall give this a miss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 
Unpossible!

lasermink wrote:

Yay! My brain's broken! I've never had any problem viewing Magic Eye pictures, but now they're inverted. I see height as depth and vice versa.

I'm quite pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 
Excellent Member

this is seriously awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stere ... _Shark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 14:41 
Excellent Member

Decca wrote:

Erm, is it? Most likely my colour-blindless is just making it look like a lot of (non-white) noise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 14:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, picked up a 3DS this lunchtime.

Can I get it to run the system update? Can I buggery.

Internet connection is testing out fine, according to the connection test. I have bound my 3DS to an IP and opened all ports to it, yet the system update just comes back with "an error has occurred"
How can Nintendo be so shit at the whole online piece, every single time...

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 14:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Any ideas?

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/29902 :S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 15:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, seen that.

I've just tried it through my mifi dongle, downloaded 5MB of the update, then stopped and got the same error. So I really don't think it is my end.
Firewall is off for the next few minutes while I try that, if that doesn't fix it, then it has to be a problem at their end!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 15:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Feel free to friend me people :D

Trooper: 4682-8486-1318

All internet stuff seems to be working fine, I can add other people anyway. I just can't system update :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 16:07 
Caution Live Bear.

Quote:
Erm, is it? Most likely my colour-blindless is just making it look like a lot of (non-white) noise.

I'm not colour blind, but short sighted, and have never been able to see magic eye pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 16:16 

DavPaz wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Yay! My brain's broken! I've never had any problem viewing Magic Eye pictures, but now they're inverted. I see height as depth and vice versa.

I'm quite pleased.

Some of them must be seen walleyed, and some of them crosseyed. Doing the opposite of what the image is designed for reverses the effect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 22:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Having spent an evening with the wee beasty, it's extremely impressive. This is praise coming from someone who hates 3D in the cinema and sees no point in 3D TV in the home...

Shadow Wars is great, but unfortunately it's the only game out of the current lineup i'm interested in. Might get pilot wings when it gets cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 23:49 
Can you dig it?

Bear or Bust wrote:
Quote:

I'm not colour blind, but short sighted, and have never been able to see magic eye pictures.

My eyesight is pretty good but I really favour my right eye (so much so that I struggle to use a stereomicroscope with both eyes - but can easily do all the work with just one eye). I don't know if that is anything to do with it but I have never been able to see those pictures either. I came close to almost seeing something once, I think, and then lost it. Now I rarely try, as i just end up getting frustrated, which will make it even less likely to work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, before heading off to bed last night, I gave the system update one last go. Success! No idea what was wrong earlier, I assume problems at their end, but a message along those lines would have been appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 
Awesome
Yes

I had a dream last night that I was playing a 3DS and it was like staring into a deep box.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 

I had a go on one the other day, it's actually like staring into a small box. More neato than that sounds, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Small boxes are better than deep boxes, in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 
Awesome
Yes

Trooper wrote:
Small boxes are better than deep boxes, in my experience.

But then you end up pushing against the ba-

I'll stop right there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 17:36 

My friend code is 2277-6671-6841

I shall add all those from this thread now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 17:39 

oh, and here is my mii.

If you have a mii scan thing, so include it, then I can feel as if I am playing games with chums :luv:
Attachment:
HNI_0003.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 18:54 
SavyGamer

Someone on the internet has made a bunch of 3D screenshots of Gamecube/Wii games you can view on the 3DS. Link here.

Just pop em on you SD card.

Wind Waker, F-Zero GX and Prime 2 look phenomenal.

Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next