Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
There will be some negotiations, I'm sure. There will be things rUK wants that Scotland has, and vice versa. Something will be hammered out as it will be in the best interests of both countries not to cut their noses off to spite their faces.

And this is what their whole argument is predicated on. Despite all three major parties saying 'There will be no currency union'. The SNP have resolutely insisted there will be, and this is Salmond's only argument as to why he has no plan B, because plan A will definitely happen despite all indicators to the contrary.

Yes, it might be a campaign tactic, but I hope it isn't. Even if it is, you have to show you have a credible alternative and be able to state it when the question is asked of you. This is why his failure to answer it and instead reference the 'anonymous' minister who said a currency union would probably happen is appallingly weak.

It's a fucking nonsense. All eggs in one basket type of gambling, and if it fails to pay off, the red faces will not compensate for the uncertainty of a tagged pound/new currency/who the fuck knows.

Cheerfully this kind of thing will sway some of those undecideds into the No camp, and the Yesperation folk will invent even more psychological rabbit holes to convince themselves that this is actually an ideal situation to be in.

:this:

As ever, very well and succinctly put Gnomes; loved your earlier Tesco store manager analogy too, very apt. I've said it before but I'll say it again: I, for one, am very glad you're here, chap. :luv:

It's also worth noting, of course, that a currency union would effectively be an underwriting of the entire Scottish finance sector (which hasn't exactly covered itself in glory these last few years), by the people (taxpayers) of the rUK, with not one penny piece of tax revenue in return, yet despite the very unambiguous statements by all three main political parties, would-be Scots Yes voters are expected to entirely ignore these realities and instead trust in the ephemeral rumours of 'unnamed' minister(s) supposedly briefing otherwise (off the record and anonymously)... as the Scots might say, you couldnae make it up.

The SNP threat of "we'll walk away from all UK debt [but still keep all assets, oil etc.]" is also a total falsehood, thoroughly debunked by people far more learned than I, but it seems to be the nature of their campaign, and the quality of their information, to keep trotting it out regardless. As I've said before: Toy Town politicians playing Toy Town politics? Personally speaking, I think the Scottish people deserved better.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 13:12 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cavey wrote:
As ever, very well and succinctly put Gnomes. I've said it before but I'll say it again: I, for one, am very glad you're here, chap. :luv:

:kiss:

If Scotland go for the 'unofficial' pound in the event of no union (which seems most likely), I'm not sure what the downsides are for UK businesses. If there is a tacit understanding that it's a 1:1 relationship, then any serious business would presumably be unaffected, at least in the short term. The Irish punt was initially used interchangably for the pound, and I assume the same would be true here.

Since a linked 1:1 pound would by definition not be able to inflate/devalue in the event of economic disparity between Scotland and rUK, I can't immediately see the downside for rUK except to potentially have a smaller, weaker trading partner (ala Greece/Spain vs. rEU). Meanwhile Scotland have to keep the currency linked to create the illusion of stability while local prices inflate and businesses start to suffer. Any businesses that didn't jump ship at the start of independence would suddenly feel a reason to go south of the border.

I am not an economist, clearly, but this seems like a much worse option than a currency union, and a pretty terrible back-up plan, especially when the health of your economy is going to be greatly determined by the variable income from oil.

FAIRER MORE EQUAL MORE JUST SCOTLAND. Urrrgh. When you see the supporters wheeling it out you just groan inwardly. Their heads are full of buzzwords and zero 'independent' thought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 13:21 

Absolutely mate, spot on.

I'd also mention that, in that case, assurances of absolute bank depositor security for iScot banks would likely be viewed as empty, leading to large scale fund withdrawals and everything that this entails.

You'd think they'd have worked stuff like this out, given the years/decades they've had to do so, wouldn't you.... but then again, Salmond was proclaiming the virtues of the Euro/the Pound being a millstone around Scotland's neck etc. just a few years ago; has any (relatively) mainstream politician ever been so totally and fundamentally wrong about so many things, like ever?

As one wag noted, it is indeed ironic that the Pound is now, in fact, a millstone around Salmond's neck... :D

What goes around comes around, I guess.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 13:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

Chucklesome move by Scottish Labour if you missed it: Delivering a giant pound coin to Salmond's residence.

Trollololol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 13:31 

Lolz :D

I daresay he won't mind if it's a giant chocolate coin...

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:46 

Latest Scots Referendum poll data and commentary from Reuters; Yes is 13-14% behind following disastrous TV debate:

Quote:
The Survation poll for the Scottish Daily Mail newspaper said 50 percent of respondents planned to vote against independence in a ballot due on Sept. 18 that will decide whether Scotland breaks its 307-year union with England.

It was the highest level of support for remaining part of the United Kingdom in all Survation polls since February.

By contrast, just 37 percent said they planned to vote for a split while 13 percent said they were undecided. Excluding undecided voters, support for independence stood at 43 percent against 57 percent in favour of the union.

Chief Executive of Survation Damian Lowe told Reuters the 'yes' campaign would need to see a "seismic change" in order to win, and had to answer key questions, particularly over which currency an independent Scotland would use.

"I think they'll need to go back to the drawing board on some of these issues and come back with some answers," he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/0 ... BW20140809

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 

What's going to matter is the turnout. If the No side think it's a done deal, the moderate Nos might be less likely to turn out. I still think it's going to be closer than we think, but am not quite ready to run a sweepstake on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 

Kern wrote:
What's going to matter is the turnout. If the No side think it's a done deal, the moderate Nos might be less likely to turn out. I still think it's going to be closer than we think, but am not quite ready to run a sweepstake on it.

Oh I agree entirely; no room for any complacency whatsoever.

Latest Yougov poll puts No ahead by a stunning 20-22%:

Quote:
Kevin Schofield at the Sun has just tweeted out the latest YouGov Scottish polling from tomorrow morning’s Sun (£). Topline figures are YES 35%, NO 55%. Without don’t knows it works out at YES 39%, NO 61%. The fieldwork for the poll straddled the debate – just over half took place pre-debate.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... y/scotland

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

Kern wrote:

Indeed, I say this to everyone who might vote No. They must make sure they vote, because the Yessers definitely all will.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 14:48 

Good old Viz... :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 15:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

*snorts* :DD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 19:25 
Excellent Member

Not personally interested in this debate but still quite enjoy Rev Stu's writing and so I have a gander at Wings Over Scotland every now & then.

Seems he's written a booklet called the "Wee Blue Book". Download-only at the moment but currently being printed in mass quantities apparently. Totally pro-independence of course, as you'd expect.

Just the messenger, thought some of you on this thread might be interested in reading it / discussing it / rubbishing it, whatever etc.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 22:23 
Sleepyhead

His blue book is hilarious. A major point is that terrorists will only get Scotland because they're in the UK. Independence equals safety from the hundreds killed every year!

:D

In other news:

http://www.thefuckingreferendum.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 23:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
http://www.thefuckingreferendum.com/

:DD

Quote:
We'll not be cutting about like the Saudis, we'll still be fucking skint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 

Finally, the BBC cuts through the crap and gets to the key issue - will the loss of the Scots mean we can have summertime all round?

Personally, I've never seen any issue with different timezones across the country: year round BST for England, GMT for Scotland, 200 years behind for the Isle of Wright etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've always thought the world would be better if we all followed one damn Universal clock. It seems much more sensible to merely change the time people do things in different countries, rather than countries all doing things at the same 'clock time' with different timezones all over the place.

If we got up at 1am and worked 3am-11am in what would be our typical daylight times, what difference would that really make? We'd just have to get used to that being our local working times on the Universal clock. People in darker countries can merely choose to shift their working hours, but nobody is confused about what time it is.

It is typically London-centric thinking that makes them want to enact something nationally that would have the most benefit to them, and balls to the problem of leaving Scotland in the dark.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:43 
Excellent Member

Alex Salmond doesn't need a plan B in the event of a Yes vote

There are business, infrastructure such as Navel Bases and well as the entire Scottish government all running on the pound.

So what are they going to do? Stop it all, they will have keep the pound in the short term and at worst find another solution, even in this event there will be so much shared interest they will just let them keep it.

Hopefully it won't be a Yes vote as long term that's not good for anybody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

There seems to be a point of mass confusion here. Dare I say, mass ignorance.

People are saying 'You can't say we can't use the pound! It's Scotland's pound too!!!'.

The thing is, NOBODY is saying that, or has ever said that. Of course Scotland can use the pound. The Czech republic could use the pound if it wanted, the critical point is that it wouldn't be in a currency union.

A currency union has been ruled out, but being able to use the pound never has been for the uncontested reason being that you can't. Why is this so hard to understand?

Also, link to a proper example of Poe's Law from yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=689598891119221

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 16:59 

Interesting critique of Stu's "Wee Blue Book" here:

http://scotslanding.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -no-voter/

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 19:51 
Sleepyhead

That's an interesting read.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sharp points, well articulated. A kind of level-headed dispassion that I'd like to see more of.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:44 
Gogmagog

Could Cornwall do the same?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 17:46 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

No.

Next question!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 22:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

Shit just got real, or something.

Attachment:
IMG_20140818_220301.jpg

Yep I blurred the barcodes and numbers, can't be too careful.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 23:18 
Sleepyhead

But which way will you vote?????

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 23:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm inclined to blame all of my problems on other people, and also expect other people to fix all my problems, so I'm a firm YES.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 
UltraMod

Attachment:
10403098_10154457859275357_2553160056751610111_n.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 
Gogmagog

I think that I would probably vote YES if I were given the chance. Not because I particulary want an independent Scotland, but I think it would make things considerably more interesting in the future, and be an incredibly dataset for how a country builds itself when not destroyed by war. We'd all be rooting for Scotland to get it right, of course, and build some form of functioning society from a blank shhet of paper. The rest of the UK could train its politicians there, and try out new social policies before using them elsewhere. And finiancial rules could be relaxed to generate income there. And experimental drugs could be used. Obviously, the downside is Plymouth becoming nuclear warhead central, but what's a few more behind those green doors that you can see in the hill?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:24 

American Nervoso wrote:
Attachment:
10403098_10154457859275357_2553160056751610111_n.jpg

Absolute class. :DD

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:27 

Shit just got real, or something.

The kind of political emphemera I'd hang on to for years to come. Just think, without it, what will you say when your son is playing with his Salmon and Darling action figures and your daughter sits on your knee asks what you did in the great conflict?,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd vote yes, just to get rid of the whining shits.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:30 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I'd vote yes, just to get rid of the whining shits.

Thanks man.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

You're welcome :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 
Gogmagog

Are they going into the smaller cottage in October?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 
Awesome
Yes

MaliA wrote:
Are they going into the smaller cottage in October?

Vote YES for a smaller Cottage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

I thought the cottage was a UK thing, should we let them share it with us?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Of course, the real question is, is there an icing currency union?

Scottish icings will be worth less after a yes vote I would imagine, so the Scots will have to do 2 each time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 

Would I have to relocate my WMDs into the big cottage?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 

A slightly more (ahem) 'robust' response to Stu's "Wee Blue Book" here:

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... -lies.html

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

Kern wrote:
Would I have to relocate my WMDs into the big cottage?

Yes.

If you want to fry any food though, you'll need to do that in the small cottage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cavey wrote:

I just noticed yesterday he's managed to scam another £50k from these utter fucking morons for 'enhanced distribution' of this piece of shit.

Seriously, if these angry Scots spent this money trying to better their own lives, rather than lining the pockets of a demagogue, they'd all be much better off.

But then I'm reminded extremists are very good at getting fools to part with their money, I was reminded of this yesterday when I watched a thing about George Galloway fundraising for Hamas through charity fronts in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 

Cavey wrote:

I just noticed yesterday he's managed to scam another £50k from these utter fucking morons for 'enhanced distribution' of this piece of shit.

Seriously, if these angry Scots spent this money trying to better their own lives, rather than lining the pockets of a demagogue, they'd all be much better off.

But then I'm reminded extremists are very good at getting fools to part with their money, I was reminded of this yesterday when I watched a thing about George Galloway fundraising for Hamas through charity fronts in the US.

Another £50,000? By my approximate reckoning that's two hundred thousand pounds or more in two years or less? (There's revenue from Wings "merch" and, no doubt, continuous trickle of ongoing donations and subscriptions beyond the headline fundraisers, though even they were c.£50k + £100k + £50k on their own?)

I can't help but feel a certain admiration; that's a helluva lot of money when your overheads are pretty much zero? In business terms, after years of trying, it certainly looks like he's tapped into a rich seam of pure gold. I have to tip my hat at the sheer audacity and enterprise; I hardly think us lot here were ever going to pay a quarter of a million to be able to post on his freeware forum. :p

On a personal note I wish he'd done it in some other way than to try and destroy the United Kingdom, but hey. Sure beats piddling around with Apple phone games for zilch. He must be loaded now - and a 'No' vote, which will surely come, will keep loading those coffers for many more years to come, since as we all know, hard core Yessers are hardly going to just accept something so utterly trivial as, you know, the emphatically expressed democratic will of the Scottish people? No, they'll surely be vociferously and bitterly pushing for yet another tilt at this come 20th Sept and beyond ad nauseum, you mark my words. They have been, and will remain, the gift that just keeps on giving - quite literally. Great business model.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

You just need to find a niche of people both passionate and idiotic enough to throw money at you to articulate their backward small-minded views better than they could.

Yep, quite the business model ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:15 

You just need to find a niche of people both passionate and idiotic enough to throw money at you to articulate their backward small-minded views better than they could.

Yep, quite the business model ;)

If people are stupid enough to freely and willingly part with vast sums of their own money, with their eyes wide open, who are we to argue? That's business; "a fool and his money..." etc.

Sure I read something there the other day about someone sending him a big chunk of their pension?

Many, many year ago, I vaguely remember reading what Stu said he'd do after he'd 'made his first million'. I remember thinking at the time, "not in your lifetime old mate, it takes more than you've got to make a million quid". Now, however, I'm really not so sure.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

As an aside, 99% of people on this forum will most likely make a million quid in their lifetime. That's both impressive and depressing at the same time.

edit: Oooh, that's a fun, depressing game! I might try and work out how much I have earned in my life so far, and compare it to my bank balance at the moment :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 

Trooper wrote:
As an aside, 99% of people on this forum will most likely make a million quid in their lifetime. That's both impressive and depressing at the same time.

Yeah, but you know what I mean.
I mean, have a million quid in net assets and cash.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

Well, he's in his 40s, has spent most of his life living on a pittance, hasn't had the touch of a woman for most of that, sports a paedo-beard, and his life is predicated on daily mind-boiling outrage that'll see him to an early grave. So yeah, if a few quid is his only consolation, then fair play :attitude:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cavey wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah, but you know what I mean.
I mean, have a million quid in net assets and cash.

Yeah, of course. I just think it's a interesting statistic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 

Trooper wrote:
edit: Oooh, that's a fun, depressing game! I might try and work out how much I have earned in my life so far, and compare it to my bank balance at the moment :D

:D

It's interesting/depressing in equal measure; it has to be borne in mind that even for "ordinary" people on average salaries (let alone small or medium-sized business owners), a despairingly huge chunk of income earned by the sweat of one's brow is taken in one form of tax or other, only to be pissed away on some utterly unworthy, ridiculous, undeserving, futile, counterproductive and/or wasteful thing or other in many cases.

There's a reason why so many people resent this - especially if and when they actually bother to perform the type of analysis you mention. Conservatism and the Low Tax Economy have much to commend them... ;)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 
Gogmagog

I just checked my bank balance. Shitpants is going to stop having avocados bought for her.

Reply to topic  [ 2009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next