Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The end of the UK?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
This is what people fail to understand about the nationalists - they're extremists operating under the guise of reason and legitimacy. The ultimate goal has always been independence at all costs. At all costs. The arguments don't actually matter - they're merely the tool to convince the masses to lend them the political power to achieve their aims. They wanted independence before oil was a thing, and god knows how they'd planned to fund the country back then - but good reasons didn't matter then and they don't now.

That's just bollocks though.

It's the rantiest and craziest ones who'll get on telly and make the most kerfuffle on the internet, but to say that all nationalists and extremists is patently nonsensical.

I'm in touch with a few people who voted 'Yes', they didn't get what they wanted, they're disappointed, they think it's a missed opportunity for Scotland, but they're carrying on with their lives in a perfectly civilised fashion and they accept the result.

I'm sure some nationalists are mental extremists, but let's keep a sense of perspective. (Also the idea that they're all dreadfully 'sore losers' is crap, too.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
I'm in touch with a few people who voted 'Yes', they didn't get what they wanted, they're disappointed, they think it's a missed opportunity for Scotland, but they're carrying on with their lives in a perfectly civilised fashion and they accept the result.

I know a couple of people like this too. I'm not casting aspersions on them. Nor am I calling all Yes voters bad losers. That would be silly. I'm calling the people that have absolutely demonstrated their sore-losership/sour grape/cries of a fix absolutely whiny, embittered idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 15:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have eventually written a very rumbling blart on some post-result thoughts, should anyone here give enough of a toss to read them:

[deleted]

Really I should split it up in a series of smaller articles that cover each particular aspect, but nobody is throwing money at me for my opinion ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:29 

Looks interesting mate, I shall have a read later. :)

According to other sources, Yougov has apparently concluded that of the 16-14, 25-39, 40-59, 60-64 and 65+ age groups, ONLY 25-39 voted Yes as a majority?

I must admit that's surprising, and seems to go against this very unpleasant narrative of blaming OAPs and even wishing them into an early grave (yes really) that I have been seeing from some quarters.

...The idealistic 16-24 demographic voted No? Wow, that does amaze me, I must admit. Says it all.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cavey wrote:
...The idealistic 16-24 demographic voted No? Wow, that does amaze me, I must admit. Says it all.

I believe some of the earlier polls put the 16/17 vote as a net backfire for the SNP in that it seemed to be a majority No. I think they'd assumed the young were easier to dupe but they turned out to be too discerning after all.

I too saw the reports of Salmond saying that the old have held the young back and it would be different after they were dead (paraphrase). He's gone into a full mental rant phase now, knowing that he's pretty much finished politically and on his way out of the door. He'll always have enough core support to stay an MSP for as long as he likes, so he might as well scattergun some of his madder ravings in the meantime.

I think it's 25-39 year old males that make up the core of the Yes vote. This doesn't exactly surprise me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 

Can we end all this talk of the Queen 'purring'? It's making me feel really uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 

I have eventually written a very rumbling blart on some post-result thoughts, should anyone here give enough of a toss to read them:

http://www.petewilcock.com/result-of-th ... the-words/

Really I should split it up in a series of smaller articles that cover each particular aspect, but nobody is throwing money at me for my opinion ;)

GOod stuff EBG. Might make some comments later.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

Kern wrote:
Can we end all this talk of the Queen 'purring'? It's making me feel really uncomfortable.

I remain utterly amazed that politicians still don't know to shut the fuck up in the vicinity of a camera or microphone. Oh, and also not to make such belmworthy conversation to start with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 21:15 

And finally, the the good people of Lewes get the last word:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 22:58 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ooh I see the cybernats have exploded in outrage! How very amusing. 'Imagine if an SNP council did this!' they're saying. I don't doubt they would have if they'd thought of it, and then told any detractors to find a sense of humour.

Now the ref is over I've gone back to normal, daily life, while those still rushing around being angry at everything about UK have gone back to being a quirky waste of time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 23:24 
Sleepyhead

The same place did Cameron himself two years back, so it's hardly like this is some new thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 

I'm looking forward to the Smith Commission's report on what the final settlement should look like. The leaks so far suggest they'll recommend almost full tax devolution and quite a bit of welfare stuff. We'll have to wait until the full report comes out, and then the parliamentary battle to pass it, but I'm starting to wonder if the biggest demands for a divorce in years to come will be from the English. Interesting times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 

Skimmed it last night. It really does offer a lot to Scotland. The taxation and welfare powers are substantial, although will have knock-on effects for England as the document makes no attempt to answer the West Lothian question.

Making the constitution up as we go along has always served us well but radical changes like this to one part of the Union will need careful management and leadership to contain and regulate jealousies arising in other parts. I just feel that the current crop of political leaders lack the strength to successfully oversee such great changes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 
Legendary Boogeyman

Quote:
It really does offer a lot to Scotland

Predictably, the moronic nationalists are outraged it's not complete Home Rule and are now honking VOW BROKEN VOW BROKEN THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR VOTING NO WHINE WHINE.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 15:42 

Quote:
It really does offer a lot to Scotland

Predictably, the moronic nationalists are outraged it's not complete Home Rule and are now honking VOW BROKEN VOW BROKEN THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR VOTING NO WHINE WHINE.

Today's Steve Bell cartoon sums it up best.

But I think the SNP have to publically complain about it not going far, otherwise they'll annoy a lot of their core support. They were represented on the commission - I think that represents their internal view (for now).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:02 

The bit of this that interests me the most is what we're actually going to get.
Papers are acting like the Smith Commission report IS what is going to happen, they're acting as if it dictates exactly what Westminster will give to Holyrood.
But it doesn't, does it? It's a recommendation, and that's it.
If Westminster wanted, they could ignore half of the stuff in it. I want to know what we're actually GOING to get. Not what the Smith Commission thinks we SHOULD get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 20:58 

We'll know when the bill is published. All 3 parties are behind it, which means that even though it will be after the election until it gets passed, it is unlikely to be dropped. And if things change between now and then, well, that's politics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 

Haven't had a chance to read the proposals annouced yesterday in any great depth, and won't have time this weekend. Will probably pour myself a glass of port sometime next week and digest them.

In other news, I'm planning a trip to Scotland for later this year. Not allowed to drink out of the Ben Nevis mug that forms part of the national 3 peaks set Malia & MrsA got me for Christmas until I've summited it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 13:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

That's a big mug.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 14:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
That's a big mug.

Said everyone as DazPaz walked in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 18:46 

Ba-dum *tish*!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 13:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Stu is off again for another year of Wings Over Scotland.

Currently he's raised £34K of a £45K target in about 12 hours, six people have donated £1000+ each.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let- ... -for-a-bit

Fair play to him TBH, I've always thought his writing is well worth paying for, although it's a shame it's not about videogames any more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 14:18 

Despite disagreeing with him, I was very impressed by what he did with Wings.

Lots happening on the constitutional side of things. New agreement in Wales, more powers for Scotland, and even control of health spending being given to Greater Manchester. Haven't really had the chance to take all of it in. The Manchester thing in particular could be the start of a major change in how England governs itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 14:32 
Excellent Member

He is very upfront about what he will take from it, minimum hourly wage for a 50 hour week.

Not huge money assuming that he does work 50 hours each week of course!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 14:33 

Presumably Vimto and Haribo will be expenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 14:39 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hearthly wrote:
Currently he's raised £34K of a £45K target in about 12 hours, six people have donated £1000+ each.

And an hour later he is at £41,382

Well done to him , he's found a way to write for an audience that wants to support him

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 15:52 

He's already reached the target.
Just think what would have happened had he taken this approach 7 years ago (but things were very different then)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 

Over £95,000 now.

In years to come, if Scotland goes independent due to his efforts and his statue is in every town, we'll all be able to say that we knew him before he was famous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:58 

BBC: Scottish Affairs Committee says Smith Commission veto claims are 'ludicrous'
Quote:
Claims that UK ministers have written a right of veto into the Smith Commission settlement are "ludicrous", a committee of MPs has said.

The Scottish government has argued the draft law transferring new powers to Scotland contained "12 vetoes" where the UK government could stifle the will of Holyrood.

The Scottish Affairs Committee dismissed that argument in a report.
The report said: "The idea that the draft clauses contain '12 vetoes' is a ludicrous one and it is disappointing that the UK government failed adequately to rebut such claims.

"We hope that a good working relationship between the two governments will mean that consultation will be routine, agreement a formality, and that dispute will not arise.

Skimming the committee's report, it's quite daming on the SNP. Of course, what the reforms and proposals actually mean doesn't matter, as most people aren't going to look into them but just agree or disagree with whatever their preferred leaders say.

I am starting to wonder if people's tolerance for the SNP's behaviour will snap at some point, causing the Union to break up by default. A good tactic for Sturgeon, perhaps, but not really one for the good governance of these islands.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 13:18 
Sleepyhead

Kern wrote:
Over £95,000 now.

In years to come, if Scotland goes independent due to his efforts and his statue is in every town, we'll all be able to say that we knew him before he was famous.

Heh. He's making more than the Prime Minister to post rants on the web. He's done well there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 18:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

I find this rather funny. There's clearly a lot of money in being a bitter demagogue. It represents the fact that a lot of these chip-on-shoulder Nats feel so powerless and impotent (because they are), they're happy to spunk what little they have to fund this twat, who'd rather live in England, to rant on their behalf.

He's pocketed so much money from this personally and has never given a breakdown of expenses. 'I'm only paying myself a living wage'. What utter, transparent lies. That and the fact these morons keep spunking donations at him for doing such a good job representing their small minds.

Fools and their money, and so forth. 'Wee blue book souvenir edition'. A shitty propaganda pamphlet for £52. Amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 20:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Allegedly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 21:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yes sorry, allegedly a twat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 

Interesting Guardian piece about what the British Social Attitudes survey has to say about Scottish attitudes. It suggests that the Scottish aren't as exceptional as the Scots think they are, in line with similar studies I've seen. Might find some time later to go through the actual study.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
Interesting Guardian piece about what the British Social Attitudes survey has to say about Scottish attitudes. It suggests that the Scottish aren't as exceptional as the Scots think they are, in line with similar studies I've seen. Might find some time later to go through the actual study.

If the rest of the country think the same as us maybe you could do us all a favour and stop voting for the fucking Tories?

:p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:30 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

If the rest of the country think the same as us maybe you could do us all a favour and stop voting for the fucking Tories?

:p

I'm in Scotland on the day after the election. If the stories get in I am gonna pretend to be Welsh or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:06 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:

And Scotland's much more different to England than, say, Cornwall. Weird, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I really like this guy, loads of great videos on the YouTube channel.

He's like a Brit, but he lives in America, which I guess can happen.

This was done before the vote, but still very watchable IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 
Gogmagog

Fuck you chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 
Unpossible!

I just assumed that guy was David Baddiel's little brother.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hearthly wrote:

This weeks had bit on the UK election - the show is "last week tonight with John Oliver' if you want to grab the whole thing (very worthwhile watching all of them)

This *should* be that small section (i'm not in a place to check right now)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

His show is on Sky I think (I record it every week, but have no idea which channel it's actually on)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

This weeks had bit on the UK election - the show is "last week tonight with John Oliver' if you want to grab the whole thing (very worthwhile watching all of them)

Yeah I've just about watched the whole lot now, very good stuff.

Some of them are a bit scary too, the ones about prisons and nuclear weapons spring to mind. The one on the wealth gap was great too.

In fact, it's almost all really good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:06 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, he sat in for John Stewart on The Daily Show for a few months while Stewart was making a movie.

Then he got his own show on HBO and it is awesome: I adore John Oliver. He's also good in Community.

EDIT - And also on 'The Bugle', obv.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I really like him, but I think he's truly awful in community.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:50 
Awesome
Yes

Cras wrote:
I really like him, but I think he's truly awful in community.

He has nothing but nice things to say about you.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 

I was booking a hostel for a forthcoming trip to Scotland last night. After I realised that 'yha.org.uk' is only for England & Wales, and that the Scots had their own organisation, I started the booking. I spent ages scrolling up and down the obligatory 'nationality' question on the reservation form. I found that there wasn't an entry for 'British'. Lacking a 'Cornish' option I had to plump for 'English'.

I made sure I gave my country as 'UK' when entering my address.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

Scotland is like that for everything. National Trust? Nope, Scottish National Trust. Shared blood service? Nope, Scotland has its own blood service and its own stocks. Ambulances say 'The SCOTTISH Ambulance Service' on them. Could you imagine English ones saying 'The ENGLISH ambulance service'? Of course not, that would be silly. SCOTTISH TEA is sold bearing the slogan BEST BREWED WITH SCOTTISH WATER. Brands looking to ingratiate themselves with the locals feature banners saying 'PROUD TO SERVE SCOTLAND'.

Generally you find that practically everything is prefixed with 'Scottish' or otherwise tries to highlight that it's local local local, in Scotland.

I don't know how this came about but all I see are almost pathetically desperate attempts by the Scottish in general to highlight that they're distinct and different from everyone else. Take a close look around when you're here Kern, you'll find it very strange.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:28 
Unpossible!

Scotland is like that for everything. National Trust? Nope, Scottish National Trust. Shared blood service? Nope, Scotland has its own blood service and its own stocks. Ambulances say 'The SCOTTISH Ambulance Service' on them. Could you imagine English ones saying 'The ENGLISH ambulance service'? Of course not, that would be silly. SCOTTISH TEA is sold bearing the slogan BEST BREWED WITH SCOTTISH WATER. Brands looking to ingratiate themselves with the locals feature banners saying 'PROUD TO SERVE SCOTLAND'.

Generally you find that practically everything is prefixed with 'Scottish' or otherwise tries to highlight that it's local local local, in Scotland.

I don't know how this came about but all I see are almost pathetically desperate attempts by the Scottish in general to highlight that they're distinct and different from everyone else. Take a close look around when you're here Kern, you'll find it very strange.

As a Cornishman, he's probably used to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 
Isn't that lovely?

I was watching something on Sky Go the other day, and when it was playing an advert it I heard the familiar tones of the British Gas advert, I looked up, and I saw that Super Mario Galaxy style world they have for their adverts. Then they mentioned who the advert was for. "Scottish Gas". So I guess that in someway backs up what EBG was saying. (I was watching in Devon mind, so not sure why I got a Scottish advert).

Reply to topic  [ 2009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next