Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 23:05 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
Who was thinking of buying one? They should buy this one.

I don't really like this one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Pod wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Who was thinking of buying one? They should buy this one.

I don't really like this one.

I do like this one, but I already have it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I would like one. It was me!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:22 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
In America, I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BQ8R ... X110_SY165

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:24 
Excellent Member

I would quite like this, what do I need to check to know if it'll work in my PC. Which is about six years old if that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 0:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I would quite like this, what do I need to check to know if it'll work in my PC. Which is about six years old if that helps.

It just needs a SATA bus, which it almost certainly will have.

If your current drives have SATA connectors instead of the old IDE connectors, then you'll be alright.

Technically speaking the SATA3 drives can totally saturate earlier SATA buses so you won't get MAXIMUM WARP SPEED out of them but they'll still be a quantum leap ahead of old mechanical hard drives.

I think I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I lobbed a second hand 128GB SSD in a four years+ old laptop, and it's like a whole new computer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If your PC has a cable like this in it, you're good to go.

http://img.misco.eu/resources/images/pr ... 0x1600.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

Jesus, that's stupid-cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 13:45 
Excellent Member

Yoinked from Amazon. I look forward to my blazing fast PC you've all promised.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 13:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is Amazon cheaper? I thought it was an Ebuyer promotion?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 14:44 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Is Amazon cheaper? I thought it was an Ebuyer promotion?

Read my last few posts in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 17:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Ebuyer appear to have held the price on that SSD despite it being the Deal Of The Day yesterday, so maybe that's the new price point for SSD storage.

I wasn't going to bother with any more incremental upgrades for my current PC as the fundamentals of it really are cracking on a bit now (the CPU, mobo and RAM are fully 5 1/2 years old), so I was intending to sort of struggle on with my 128GB SSD storage wise (I've got a big hard drive a NAS for storage as well, but 128GB is limited even just for OS + games), rather than chuck more money at what is a pretty elderly machine now. (Albeit still very capable, truth be told.)

(The case is over eight years old!)

However, with the next-gen consoles having turned out to be such as astonishing damp squib performance wise I'm beginning to think that the old girl might actually do me for this console generation too, and thus lobbing a big SSD into it makes sense - I really can't see any point in buying a whole new PC.

Admittedly I've had to tweak BF4 to maintain my preferred 60FPS at my monitor's native res of 2560x1440, as it struggles a bit all ULTRA-ed out to the detriment of gameplay in certain situations, but it still looks stunning, and certainly not 'Hmmm yes I need to spend £1500 on a new PC' unacceptable.

Maybe as this console generation moves forwards the age of my PC will catch up with it and developers will tap into oodles of untapped potential in the consoles and I'll be left behind, but you can't get blood out of a stone, I think my ancient PC might be alright for some years yet....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 18:15 
Gogmagog

Has anyone used driver detective? My webcam wasn't working so I tried to make it work and downloaded driver detective. It told me I needed lots of new drivers. Should I trust it? They wanted me to register to update everything. I bought a new webcam as well so it might be academic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've ordered an SSD from all your recommendations. I'm planning on doing a fresh install but I've just realised that my Windows 7 disk is only an upgrade disk. There's various work arounds online but this could prove interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 18:35 

Just clone it across, s'what I did both times and it's been fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 18:57 
Excellent Member

I'm going to do a fresh install on mine because I don't see the point of buying a new drive specifically to speed your machine up but then copy and old Windows install onto it; especially as my install's pretty old now. I might see if I can back up my Steam folder beforehand as it's likely to be pretty chunky right now but aside from that it's just the usual stuff I'd need to reinstall which I don't mind too much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:03 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Has anyone used driver detective? My webcam wasn't working so I tried to make it work and downloaded driver detective. It told me I needed lots of new drivers. Should I trust it? They wanted me to register to update everything. I bought a new webcam as well so it might be academic.

Just download the driver from the manufacturer's site; that's always safer and easier than buggering about with some potentially suspect third-party app.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I'm going to do a fresh install on mine because I don't see the point of buying a new drive specifically to speed your machine up but then copy and old Windows install onto it; especially as my install's pretty old now. I might see if I can back up my Steam folder beforehand as it's likely to be pretty chunky right now but aside from that it's just the usual stuff I'd need to reinstall which I don't mind too much.

Before you do the fresh install try a clone of your existing OS and see how things run, SSDs are so off-the-scale mental compared to mechanical drives that you might just be pleasantly surprised.....

(Unless you really want to do a fresh install, which is a nice thing to get done once in a while for general tidiness purposes.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:30 

that and windows 7/8 don't really suffer like older versions, disk cleanup covers most things.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:47 
Unpossible!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storag ... -and-trim/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 20:03 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Just download the driver from the manufacturer's site; that's always safer and easier than buggering about with some potentially suspect third-party app.

Thanks, I've uninstalled it now. The new webcam was recognised by the computer, but dodn't work, then hen I rebooted, it didn't see it at all. The manufacturer's website doesn't have drivers to download, and I don't know what model it is (Polaroid). Grah! Stupid things. Can I connect the old webcam to my xbox and skype?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 20:06 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/02/04/windows-7-ssd-performance-and-trim/

Is that in response to Bik's post?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 20:43 

If it was, that's not what I meant, which is that 7/8 are almost completely insusceptible to the gradual crufting up that warranted regular refreshing the prior few releases.

Though 8 even has built-in refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 20:45 

Malia - Device Manager's properties for the device will tell you the usb id of the webcam. Google that and you may find something useful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 20:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm going to do a fresh install when I get my new drive (If I can with an upgrade disc) as I want to clear out all the crap and my YouTube problem has returned so I'm hoping this will help fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 23:01 

Oh, Windows users and your quaint "it's normal to reinstall the entire OS every year." In eight years of cumulative usage spread across my two Macs, I've reinstalled from scratch exactly once, which was when I shrunk my MBA down from a 500 GB drive (as my primary machine) to just a 64 GB SSD (for limited use only).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 23:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Oh, Windows users and your quaint "it's normal to reinstall the entire OS every year."

Eh?

That's what we're saying exactly not to do and you don't need to do, ever since the XP days really, and certainly since Vista and 7 came along.

My 'donkey work' PC (which prior to that was my main/gaming PC) is running on an XP install that must be cracking on for six or seven years old now, and it's still working just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 0:15 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Oh, Windows users and your quaint "it's normal to reinstall the entire OS every year." In eight years of cumulative usage spread across my two Macs, I've reinstalled from scratch exactly once, which was when I shrunk my MBA down from a 500 GB drive (as my primary machine) to just a 64 GB SSD (for limited use only).

That's probably more often than I've had to. Tch, you should probably get a better OS; Windows is pretty good?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 0:17 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/02/04/windows-7-ssd-performance-and-trim/

Is that in response to Bik's post?

Nah, just a lazy reminder to new SSD buyers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 0:33 
Excellent Member

Given how old that article is would I be safe in assuming my new drive will have a TRIM enabled firmware pre-installed or is this still a common issue on modern SSDs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 0:43 
Bad Girl

Weeeeee, down a zip line!

(seemed rather pointless)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Given how old that article is would I be safe in assuming my new drive will have a TRIM enabled firmware pre-installed or is this still a common issue on modern SSDs?

This is why it was a lazy reminder. I haven't checked. Didn't realise how old that article was to be honest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:38 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Heh. It's just like a tedious PC spod in a console thread.

Just FYI though I haven't reinstalled the OS on either my home PC or my work laptop for years either. Probably close to your eight years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:58 

markg wrote:
Heh. It's just like a tedious PC spod in a console thread.
Played for and got :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:18 
Unpossible!

The mac mini I use at work gets wiped every other day!

Nothing to do with it being a test bed for deployment. Oh no sir.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:07 
EvilTrousers

I ordered one of those there 500GB SSD's and will be fitting it into my laptop later this week and doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

However - I can't find my original Windows 7 CD and I can't find one online that's not Dutch.

So I need to borrow a Win 7 home 64 bit disc then if anyone has one please? Or can point me in the direction of a Yarrr version I can put my legit code in for? However...

The sticker on the back of the laptop has faded so much I can't read the product key. Do I need anything else other than the product key Windows info gives me to install it again? I can run Belarc to get every last code going if that's required.

It's some mark of the change in circumstances talked about here where it's been that long since I had to install an OS I've no idea what the procedure is now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
I ordered one of those there 500GB SSD's and will be fitting it into my laptop later this week and doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

However - I can't find my original Windows 7 CD and I can't find one online that's not Dutch.

So I need to borrow a Win 7 home 64 bit disc then if anyone has one please? Or can point me in the direction of a Yarrr version I can put my legit code in for? However...

The sticker on the back of the laptop has faded so much I can't read the product key. Do I need anything else other than the product key Windows info gives me to install it again? I can run Belarc to get every last code going if that's required.

It's some mark of the change in circumstances talked about here where it's been that long since I had to install an OS I've no idea what the procedure is now.

Does the company you work for have any sort of Microsoft Premier contract in place? (They're quite common in larger organisations.) If so you should be able to snag an MSDN key and install media from the IT spods as long as the laptop will be using for testing, development, or work related activities. (I've got every OS since XP that way, although it does help that I'm one of the IT spods.)

You do have the option of simply cloning the OS to an external drive and then flinging it back onto the SSD once it's in place, (using something like Acronis), there really isn't the same concept of Windows installs 'degrading' over time like there used to be back in the 95/98 and to a lesser extent the XP days.

Sorry that's not very helpful really is it? Maybe you should get a Mac or something, DocG says they're brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 14:31 
Excellent Member

SSD get! Now begins phase 2: working up the motivation to bother installing it. I'm insufferably lazy when it comes to this kind of thing so that second phase could take a while...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 14:47 
Bad Girl

Where's my bloody PC? It's been 14 days. HNNNGH.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 14:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Could have built your own by now...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 14:57 
UltraMod

I think that one I linked to had a 3-5 day lead time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Personally, i'd have bought a Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:07 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
Personally, i'd have bought a Mac.

Why have something tomorrow when you can wait two weeks?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:09 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

That reminds me, the badger game is on-sale really cheap here. It's probably worth picking it up now (you'll get a Steam key for it) then you can just download and install it when the machine turns up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:10 

All this tech stuff is all well and good, but imagine the sheer humiliation of turning up in a trendy coffee bar, having paid the best part of a fiver for coffee, basically, which cost a few pence to make- only to unfold some paupers laptop sans fruit logo and lightey uppey keyboard?

Fuck man, may as well be a tramp who's pissed his trousers there and then. Buy a Mac, for heavens sake!! :D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:11 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

That reminds me, the badger game is on-sale really cheap here. It's probably worth picking it up now (you'll get a Steam key for it) then you can just download and install it when the machine turns up.

Cor. Awesome work, Bamba! Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:14 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Cor. Awesome work, Bamba! Thank you so much.

I saw it and thought of you. :)

In fact, now that you're about to join the glorious PC master race, it's well worth either bookmarking or RSSing the PC section of Lewie's SavyGamer as that's where this and many other excellent PC deals come from:

http://savygamer.co.uk/category/deals/pc/
http://savygamer.co.uk/category/deals/pc/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:17 
Excellent Member

Oops, bollocksed up c&p of the RSS link there:

http://savygamer.co.uk/category/deals/pc/feed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:20 
Bad Girl

I remember a while back that you did a list of indie games worth playing and was meaning to trawl back through BeeX and find it. WHEN IT BLOODY TURNS UP.

Where's AE? Do they normally take this long from Chillblast? Anyone? Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 15:24 

I think I got one for my Dad from there a year or two ago. I seem to remember it taking a while but I can't be any more specific. Did they not give you an estimate at the time you ordered?

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 119  Next