Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 16:29 
Unpossible!

Stick it in. Even if they're slower ports, they'll be fast enough for data storage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:24 

(Yay! I have 16GB of RAM now!)
Anyway, I'm going to be upgrading my computer soon (Well, okay, about 3 months. But still.) , and for my processor, I think I'm going to be getting an i5 or i7.
Question: How do the number of cores you have impact on gaming? Could I just get a duel-core, or would I be better getting a Quad-core?

My budget is probably going to be around £500-600. (I'm keeping my DVD-drive, HDD, SSD, RAM and PSU)
Any suggestions for what kind of thing (make/model) I should be on the lookout for?
What's the best compan(y)(ies) to go to for parts? I'm assuming things will probably have changed since my current PC was build 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Definitely go quad-core for the CPU, games have targeted 'many cores' CPUs for years now (thanks to the 360 and PS3), and with both XBoner/PS4 having octo-core x86 CPUs that situation will remain. (So don't skimp and go for a dual-core CPU.)

For gaming at the moment there's no benefit on PC to using a more expensive i7 CPU (quad-core with hyperthreading) compared to a cheaper i5 (quad-core), so go for an i5. (It's feasible that games will target more cores as the current gen progresses, but even the i7 doesn't have 'proper' extra cores unless you get up to the mega-expensive ones.)

If you grab an issue of Custom PC they have a recommended list that they constantly update, with recommendations for everything from budget components to hugely expensive.

If you ask again at the time of purchasing I'll grab piccies of the lists and post them here for you.

I like Ebuyer but Scan and Dabs are very reliable too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:49 

Awesome, thank you. I'll keep an eye out for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

You could do a lot worse that buying zeppo's PC which he has up for sale in the members forum :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:04 

Trooper wrote:
You could do a lot worse that buying zeppo's PC which he has up for sale in the members forum :)

I considered that, but I'm not going to have the money for another 3 or so months (possibly even longer) so I doubt he'd want to wait that long :-P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:

I hadn't seen that TBH, for the money zeppo is asking it's a bit of a bargain, to the extent I'm now desperately trying to think of ways to justify buying it :D

Pop over and take a look Cookie, if you can buy now rather than in three months time, you won't do better than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:39 
Excellent Member

Just incase anyone is interested I bought Zeppos PC and now have my old one for grabs.
I will likely end up breaking it up for parts on ebay, but figured why not post it here.

The CPU was the dogs bollocks back in the day and still warrants around £100 based on ebay.
Likewise the board was top drawer too.

Alienware ALX (Black)
- Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 Quad core 3gHz processor
- 2 x 2GB Elpida DDR3 RAM (PC3-8500U)
- Radeon HD3870X2 1GB DDR3 PCIe dual DVi graphics card
- EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLi motherboard (http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/fil ... K-NF79.pdf)
- 1000W Newton Power PSU
- Creative 5.1 surround sound card
- water cooling system
- Alienware LED board to change case colours

You'd need to add a hard drive and o/s
Currently it has a 150Gb Raptor running Win7 Ultimate for demonstration purposes which Id be happy to throw in but be aware the O/S isnt "brand new" shall we say.

Let me know if interested
Offers around £200 to save breaking it for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 22:24 
Master of dodgy spelling....

LaceSensor wrote:
Just incase anyone is interested I bought Zeppos PC and now have my old one for grabs.
I will likely end up breaking it up for parts on ebay, but figured why not post it here.

The CPU was the dogs bollocks back in the day and still warrants around £100 based on ebay.
Likewise the board was top drawer too.

Alienware ALX (Black)
- Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 Quad core 3gHz processor
- 2 x 2GB Elpida DDR3 RAM (PC3-8500U)
- Radeon HD3870X2 1GB DDR3 PCIe dual DVi graphics card
- EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLi motherboard (http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/fil ... K-NF79.pdf)
- 1000W Newton Power PSU
- Creative 5.1 surround sound card
- water cooling system
- Alienware LED board to change case colours

You'd need to add a hard drive and o/s
Currently it has a 150Gb Raptor running Win7 Ultimate for demonstration purposes which Id be happy to throw in but be aware the O/S isnt "brand new" shall we say.

Let me know if interested
Offers around £200 to save breaking it for parts.

Does it have office?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 16:03 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Does it have office?

funny guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 
Excellent Member

I was idly pondering the idea of a gfx card upgrade the other day but my machine in general is knocking on a bit so I'm wondering how far away I am from the point where some other component becomes the bottleneck and a gfx card upgrade isn't worthwhile. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, the mobo is an MSI G31 M3-F LGA775 and it's only got 4GB of RAM. Obviously the RAM's on the low side but how capable is that CPU/mobo combination in today's money? The current gfx card is a Radeon HD7770 with 1GB of onboard RAM in case that matter. I'm not actually ready to do any upgrades right now or anything, I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think you are pretty much at the top end of CPU capability with the graphics card you currently have.
Obviously a faster graphics card will be faster no matter what, but I expect you'll bottleneck any upgrade and won't get the full benefit of any upgrade.

I was also looking at graphics card updates the other day, but it turns out my HD 6970 is still reasonable. I generally try to double the performance each time I upgrade, and to do that this time would cost me £300!
I think i'll wait for now and see what the Oculus Rift actually needs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I was idly pondering the idea of a gfx card upgrade the other day but my machine in general is knocking on a bit so I'm wondering how far away I am from the point where some other component becomes the bottleneck and a gfx card upgrade isn't worthwhile. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, the mobo is an MSI G31 M3-F LGA775 and it's only got 4GB of RAM. Obviously the RAM's on the low side but how capable is that CPU/mobo combination in today's money? The current gfx card is a Radeon HD7770 with 1GB of onboard RAM in case that matter. I'm not actually ready to do any upgrades right now or anything, I'm just curious.

The Core 2 Quad is from the last generation of Intel CPUs and it is starting to show its age now, although is still pretty capable.

Beginning with the original Core i7 line-up (I've got one of the earliest i7-920s, dating back to November 2008!) they moved to a whole new architecture which even the very latest Devil's Canyon i7s are iterations of. (They were supposed to get a new architecture out this year but it wasn't ready so they've just put better heat-spreaders onto Haswell-E chips, clock-bumped them and called them Devil's Canyon.)

In practical terms you will start to hit limitations with a Core 2 Quad once you beef up the rest of your PC around it, for example a mate of mine paired his Core 2 Quad with a powerful graphics card and found he was CPU bound in Battlefield BC2 (think it was BC2 at the time), once he went for a new mobo, CPU (fast i5) and RAM but with the same graphics card, the game ran a lot better.

Certainly with that graphics card you won't have any problems, but given both your RAM and CPU situation, I'd be reluctant to chuck a meaty graphics card into the mix without a mobo/CPU/RAM replacement.

As a point of reference Custom PC ran a 'build a HD gaming PC for £549' piece this month, whereby they did an entire build of a 1080p capable PC for £549, including an OS, a 256GB SSD and a 500GB hard drive. (8GB of system RAM.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 
Excellent Member

Thanks guys, that confirms what I was concerned about.

In the last few years I've mostly used my PC for indie gaming which the current setup is more than capable of but now that the PC's connected to the main TV I can be a bit more platform agnostic when looking at deals. Obviously though that would mean having a PC that's pretty capable if I'm looking for some kind of parity with the last and current gen consoles. I'll keep thinking about it but certainly it would appear that if I'm to do any upgrade then a full new system would be on the cards. Christ, between that and a PS4 this year, or early next year, I might well blow my traditional gaming spend right out of the water!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This reminds me.. I have a PC hardware question. I'm out of touch so bear with me.

I have a drive bay on the front of my PC that has numerous card reader slots, a mic input, headphone socket, 2x USB ports and a couple of data ports (I think, I've never used them)

The SD card slot has stopped working so I need to replace it. Where would be the best place to go and do you reckon it'll be hard to swap out? I haven't looked but I imagine there's a ton of cables. I'd have a look myself but a)I've only just thought of it and b)I'm not sure what the thing is called to look for it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 
Excellent Member

Surely all ports are 'data ports'? Anyway, is it worth the hassle of replacing it? Being a lazy sod by nature I'd be tempted just to buy a cheap USB card reader and use that whenever I was moving stuff on or off SD cards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I did that but the transfer speeds are annoyingly slow. I don't know why, but it takes forever to move anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:18 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I did that but the transfer speeds are annoyingly slow. I don't know why, but it takes forever to move anything.

Are you plugging the card reader into USB 1 ports rather than USB 2 or something?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I did think that myself but I think it's the reader as other things work at a proper USB2 speed in the same port.

Either way, it's annoying and I would like my SD card slot back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 13:32 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I did think that myself but I think it's the reader as other things work at a proper USB2 speed in the same port.

Yeah, definitely sounds like the card reader that's at fault then. It could just be shite reader? They're cheap enough that taking a punt on a new one isn't much of a financial risk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 17:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Thanks guys, that confirms what I was concerned about.

In the last few years I've mostly used my PC for indie gaming which the current setup is more than capable of but now that the PC's connected to the main TV I can be a bit more platform agnostic when looking at deals. Obviously though that would mean having a PC that's pretty capable if I'm looking for some kind of parity with the last and current gen consoles. I'll keep thinking about it but certainly it would appear that if I'm to do any upgrade then a full new system would be on the cards. Christ, between that and a PS4 this year, or early next year, I might well blow my traditional gaming spend right out of the water!

Unless there are some absolutely compelling platform exclusives I'm not sure what the attraction of either an XBox One or PS4 is, since outside of those exclusives they're basically going to be cross-platform with PC.

That's why a Wii U has found itself a home underneath the big telly in our house! :) (It's there for Nintendo first party games and nothing else.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 
EvilTrousers

While I remember can I just point out that frame rate evangelist / whore / obsessive Hearthly was challenged to show me a super pretty game on his "rig" when I was at his house.

He showed me Battlefield 4 which has lots of bells and whistles but fuck me it tore more than the Hulk's shirt after he's caught his finger in a door frame.

Hearthly's immune to it but all I could see was massive distracting tears all over the shop but he was all "But the frame rate man, the frame rate - I just turn vsync off"

So he fails to understand how people can cope with a 30fps game yet he's got a complete blind spot for tearing.

Hmmmm....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ha! Busted!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
While I remember can I just point out that frame rate evangelist / whore / obsessive Hearthly was challenged to show me a super pretty game on his "rig" when I was at his house.

He showed me Battlefield 4 which has lots of bells and whistles but fuck me it tore more than the Hulk's shirt after he's caught his finger in a door frame.

Hearthly's immune to it but all I could see was massive distracting tears all over the shop but he was all "But the frame rate man, the frame rate - I just turn vsync off"

So he fails to understand how people can cope with a 30fps game yet he's got a complete blind spot for tearing.

Hmmmm....

It's almost like different things bother different people different amounts... ;)

I'm with you though, screen-tearing bugs the shit out of me and I find it massively distracting. I played some of a game called Magrunner: Dark Pulse the other day and the PC version was a straight port of the XBLA game so didn't have any real gfx options; including no vsync. It ran nice and smooth on my machine but the screen tearing was fucking horrendous and it never completely stopped bothering me even once I'd got a bit used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:

Hmmmm....

For me V-Sync and 30FPS are two sides of the same coin, both of them equal input lag, which in a First Person Shooter just isn't on.

But yeah it's true, tearing just doesn't bother me at all. That said, if the game I'm playing doesn't need absolute twitch-perfect controls, I'll happily turn V-Sync on for visual fidelity, Grid Autosport for example, I play with V-Sync turned on. (And most single player FPS games I'll run with V-Sync turned on, it's just multiplayer FPS games where I notice the input lag from V-Sync far more than I do screen tearing.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 
UltraMod

I can't say screen tearing has ever bothered me. In fact, I wasn't even aware of it as a concept until someone pointed it out. Even then I couldn't really see it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have to run everything with v-sync on, screen tearing drives me insane.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
I can't say screen tearing has ever bothered me. In fact, I wasn't even aware of it as a concept until someone pointed it out. Even then I couldn't really see it.

Some games are much worse than others though so maybe you've just never played something for any length of time that was particularly bad. I defy anyone not to notice it in the PC version of that Magrunner for instance, but that's the first time in a while I've been bothered by it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Screen tearing annoys me but only with emulated games. There's a Megadrive emulator for my GP2X Wiz that suffers with it quite badly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:06 
Bad Girl

I don't know what screen tearing is but I'm going to troll AE about it now.

:kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

Screen tearing is when everything looks really sad, as if you are looking through a salty sheen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 
UltraMod

Thanks to Mr Dave, I'm always looking through a salty sheen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 
Paws for thought

What did I do this time?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 

Saturnalian wrote:
I don't know what screen tearing is but I'm going to troll AE about it now.

:kiss:

In case you are interested (I know you aren't, but just in case):

Example image: http://zoneitastuces.com/wp-content/upl ... earing.png

It happens if drawing buffers are switched while the monitor is still painting the current buffer, instead of at the bottom of the screen (waiting for the monitor to "reach the bottom" before switching is what is known as vsync).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Sorry to change the subject a bit but is anyone else eyeing up a 4K gaming PC?

For starters 4K is a bit of a misnomer as the monitors actually display 3840x2160 pixels, so not even quite 4K on the x-axis, let alone the y-axis which is how we generally understand 720, 1080 etc.

That aside though, it's a monstrously gorgeous resolution and decent 4K monitors are now down in the £500-£600 range, whereas they debuted last year at £3000!

The major problem is getting a graphics card that can shift that many pixels around, and there aren't really any single GPU cards on the market at the moment that can consistently handle top settings on modern games and sustain 60FPS or close to it. The Radeon 290X and GeForce 780Ti are within shouting distance though.

I thinking early next year, Intel's next generation CPU architecture should be out, Nvidia should have their next line of graphics cards on the loose, and the monitors are only going to get cheaper (although I'm amazed they're down at £500 already).

Obviously games are going to be irresistibly gorgeous at that resolution, but you also get a load of extra screen real estate just in Windows as well (which never goes amiss).

Make no mistake it'll be a substantial cash investment, I'm thinking probably in the region of £2000-£2500 for the full setup (PC and monitor), but my current PC really is cracking on a bit now (the mobo/CPU/RAM I bought second hand and they're pushing up towards six years old!) and I've had a very good run out of it.

I'd be looking at the new PC lasting me 3-4 years at least, which makes the cost reasonable if you think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 

Hearthly wrote:
I'm thinking probably in the region of £2000-£2500...

I'd be looking at the new PC lasting me 3-4 years at least, which makes the cost reasonable if you think about it.

*thinks about it*

Nope.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:00 
Excellent Member

Yeah, the whole thing would still be far too rich for my blood; maybe on the upgrade after my next upgrade; which puts it at something like seven years in the future given current Bamba-trends. So probably around the time they stop making games for the last gen consoles and start properly taking advantage of the PS4 hardware. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, too rich for my blood, and I buy any old shit.

Oculus Rift (and the required graphics card to drive it) will be my next serious outlay I expect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:27 

Trooper wrote:

Oculus Rift (and the required graphics card to drive it) will be my next serious outlay I expect

I would have to try it first, because I don't always respond well to stereoscopic 3D, but I am also thinking along these lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 13:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

lasermink wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I would have to try it first, because I don't always respond well to stereoscopic 3D, but I am also thinking along these lines.

You could do what I did. Buy a DK1 on ebay, try it for a couple of weeks, sell it on ebay for the same price you bought it for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Fine I'll go 4K all by myself and screw you guys! :hat:

Yes it's a lot of cash but then again I basically live on my PC (and Wii U) so I may as well have a nice one.

Oculus Rift I'm a lot less convinced by.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 17:35 
Sitting balls-back folder

The cheap monitors are well under £500 now. The reason they're cheap is that they're TN panels instead of newer IPS or DGZA things - the expensive Dell ones are much better monitors.

I want one pretty bad, but have to save up. For a graphics card too, but just SLIGHTLY different priorities - I need a low-profile, low-power, single slot one to go in my HP Microserver. I just want a 4k desktop because 1080p isnt enough. I've got a pair of 1080p screens at work and that's not enough either.

Cheapest I've found so far is an amd R5 250 eyefinity for about £90.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 16:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
This reminds me.. I have a PC hardware question. I'm out of touch so bear with me.

I have a drive bay on the front of my PC that has numerous card reader slots, a mic input, headphone socket, 2x USB ports and a couple of data ports (I think, I've never used them)

The SD card slot has stopped working so I need to replace it. Where would be the best place to go and do you reckon it'll be hard to swap out? I haven't looked but I imagine there's a ton of cables. I'd have a look myself but a)I've only just thought of it and b)I'm not sure what the thing is called to look for it.

Just get something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Box-IB-864- ... 405&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 18:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Thanks Grim.. But there's no headphone socket on that. That is kind of a deal breaker for the thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 20:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Allow me to add that to the search term for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CEPB ... 38&sr=8-1#

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 19:58 

So this does appear to be the graphics card I have been waiting for...
Eurogamer wrote:
The GeForce GTX 970 is that rarest of things in the graphics card market - a genuine game-changer. In fact, it's actually more like a cooked hand grenade strategically lobbed into the high-end GPU market, designed to cause maximum damage to the competition - but in the process impacting just as many Nvidia cards too. It costs £260, which is a lot of money, but its performance per pound ratio is so strong that some might say there's little point considering any other high-end GPU currnetly available - and that includes Nvidia's own flagship GTX 980.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 20:19 
Hello Hello Hello

It's a stunning card, the bangs per buck are off the scale, although it doesn't represent any sort of substantial improvement over the performance of the current high-end cards, it does make them completely redundant at their price point and power consumption.

Do bear in mind though that unless you actually desired GTX780/780Ti/R290/R290X performance to start with, £260 may still well be more than you need to spend.

You could even argue that the 970 is overkill for 1920x1080, 2560x1440 would be a far better resolution match for it, unless you really do want to run Crysis3 ultra-ed out at 1080p.

I've certainly got my eye on it, but even a rabid PC cock-stroker such as myself can't justify it when all I really play in anger is Hearthstone and a weekly session on BF3 which my venerable 670 can handle at 2560x1440 at juicy detail settings across the board.

The PC release of GTAV may change things a bit though....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 20:34 

Actually, what I have really been waiting for is a £150 GTX 960 to replace my trusty GTX 460, but such a card could still be half a year away or more, and this does tempt me something awful. I don't need a new card right this instant, though, so I can still wait a bit and see what else is coming.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 20:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Well you can get a 760 for £145 or a 770 for about £185, both of these are very capable cards, are a perfect match for 1080p, and even 1440p except in the more demanding titles at very high detail settings. (And either would be a massive upgrade from a 460.)

I mean, what do you actually need a new card to do?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 21:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I read that article on the 970, but I couldn't find out how many heads it could drive. Anyone know?

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 119  Next