Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 4337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 62585
Location: Your Mum
Lonewolves wrote:
Using an inkjet printer at home in 2017 is like watching TV in 720p

I should use a laser printer?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3088
Hearthly wrote:
Cheapy compatible ink cartridges killed my printer! (And ate my hamster.)

As per this post here - viewtopic.php?p=932367#p932367

I moved to dodgy Amazon cartridges for our trusty old Canon MP-640 last December. The printer had worked perfectly since 2009 on genuine ink. Within 10 months on compatibles, BOOM HEADSHOT, dead. I had a Google on the error and there's all sorts of stuff you can apparently do to bring a Canon back to life from a B200 ERROR but I'm like fuck that printers are cheap and time is short and Dishonored 2 won't play itself. (Like I'm going to start washing print heads in distilled water.)

I tried Currys but after spending 10 minutes deciding on one the young chap cheerfully informed me that my choice was not in stock and he could order one for me that would get here in 3-5 days and I'm just like, 'Well I can do that as well, and it'll cost less'.

As such I have an Officejet 8720 all-in-one on the way from Ebuyer (which is far better than the one I was going to get from Currys, for just an extra £20), it comes with starter ink cartridges but I'll get us straight onto that HP INSTANT INK thing which looks really good, the £4 per month 100 page plan will do us fine I think, especially with the 100 page rollover it allows - and we can always pay a bit more for heavy months.

Exciting times.


The way ink works in printers is out of order, I spent around £1000 on a small office HP all in one for our office in Dublin. It came with a set of "light" cartridges. When I went over to set it up also ordered a set of larger cartridges so that I could leave with plenty of page capacity.

There was a cock up with the delivery and the black larger cartridge was delayed, the printer refused to allow me to put in the 3 larger colours ones and the light black.

Have the same issue with my home printer as well, the light cartridges ran out and there was a delay getting bigger ones. We use this model at work and always send them out with full ones, so there was a box full of lights in the store.

I took 4 home to tide me over and the printer refused to let me use a 2nd set of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13822
Location: Parts unknown
This has made me realise that I've used the same printer for around 10 years or more... and it works fine.

I'm scared to upgrade now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18201
Location: shropshire, uk
My new HP Envy Printer uses the postal ink thing for £2 a month, they keep posting my cartridges.. All good.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32427
I used to have a Canon printer that I won as a sales prize at work. It was great! Cheap to run, quiet, great quality. It even looked nice.

My wife's cousin dropped a houseplant into it. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:35 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10188
asfish wrote:
The way ink works in printers is out of order, I spent around £1000 on a small office HP all in one for our office in Dublin. It came with a set of "light" cartridges. When I went over to set it up also ordered a set of larger cartridges so that I could leave with plenty of page capacity.

There was a cock up with the delivery and the black larger cartridge was delayed, the printer refused to allow me to put in the 3 larger colours ones and the light black.

Have the same issue with my home printer as well, the light cartridges ran out and there was a delay getting bigger ones. We use this model at work and always send them out with full ones, so there was a box full of lights in the store.

I took 4 home to tide me over and the printer refused to let me use a 2nd set of them.


Well this is why I'm hoping HP INSTANT INK will turn out to be a good idea and a good deal.

I reckon we were spending at least £100 per year on traditional cartridges, so £48 per year to get nice fresh cartridges sent to the door without me doing anything seems like a reasonable amount to pay. Plus I don't have to worry about them running out as they're MEGA XXXXXL cartridges which HP don't stress about as they just remote-kill them if you stop paying.

It's still a bit of a scam of course, since the amount of ink in a printer cartridge has a value of a few pence, but I can't be arsed with laser printers and their super-expensive toners, slow start up, noise and all the rest of it. (And HP insist that with their INSTANT INK service overall costs are lower than lasers.)

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:43 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9880
Location: Sunny Stoke
Hearthly wrote:

It's still a bit of a scam of course, since the amount of ink in a printer cartridge has a value of a few pence, but I can't be arsed with laser printers and their super-expensive toners, slow start up, noise and all the rest of it. (And HP insist that with their INSTANT INK service overall costs are lower than lasers.)


I haven't looked into colour laser printers much as I've had no need to print colour for ages, but my mono laser printer is pretty quiet, doesn't take long to start printing and prints quickly. My last toner cartridge was bought in January and cost me £11.59 (not an official Samsung cartridge, obviously). Plus the print quality is more consistent than with inkjet too.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:54 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10188
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, document feeder, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:55 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42554
Location: West Yorkshire
Which is it, please? MrsA needs one for whateveritis she does.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:57 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9880
Location: Sunny Stoke
Hearthly wrote:
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)


Fair enough :) The one I have has some of those features (I'll be amazed if I ever print anything using NFC, but the option is there I suppose), but certainly not all of them.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:59 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18201
Location: shropshire, uk
The HP Envy one, supports printing direct from any phone. It was about £40 in a sale at sainsburys.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:03 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10188
MaliA wrote:
Which is it, please? MrsA needs one for whateveritis she does.


https://www.ebuyer.com/747642-hp-office ... d9l19a-a80

Be warned, they're quite big apparently.

£50 cashback offer ends today.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-10-31 at 14.02.59.png


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:04 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42554
Location: West Yorkshire
Thanking you.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:18 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1566
devilman wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)


Fair enough :) The one I have has some of those features (I'll be amazed if I ever print anything using NFC, but the option is there I suppose), but certainly not all of them.


I think I have the same one as you, I think I remember you recommending it in the past. I've never used the NFC print doober either.

Anyway, I have the Samsung Xpress M2026W and it's ace. Very compact, prints fast and, since I spoke to a kind and patient man at Samsung, is now on a static IP so I don't have to reconnect the fucker to Wifi every other week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:22 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9880
Location: Sunny Stoke
Findus Fop wrote:
devilman wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Also for our scenario we need all-in-one functionality, as Jnr does loads of copying, and Mrs Hearthly scans stuff (and I do sometimes). We like wireless (obv), duplex, big paper trays, USB slots, touchscreens, and we're also going to get mobile printing with the new printer. (The one we've ordered has NFC printing as well.)

So whilst you can get a low-end colour laser for 'reasonably cheap' by the time you start matching the feature sets of the inkjet all-in-ones the price creeps up quite a lot, and I'm not sure I'd want to be using non-genuine toner cartridges in a shiny new printer. (And colour toners are rather expensive I believe.)

TBH I'm pretty happy with a £150 printer and £4 per month for ink, for a device that'll meet all our needs and new ink just gets posted through the front door when we need it.

(There's also a £50 cashback offer on the printer although I won't call it £100 printer until we've successfully got the cash back, as those offers are notoriously torturous and long-winded.)


Fair enough :) The one I have has some of those features (I'll be amazed if I ever print anything using NFC, but the option is there I suppose), but certainly not all of them.


I think I have the same one as you, I think I remember you recommending it in the past. I've never used the NFC print doober either.

Anyway, I have the Samsung Xpress M2026W and it's ace. Very compact, prints fast and, since I spoke to a kind and patient man at Samsung, is now on a static IP so I don't have to reconnect the fucker to Wifi every other week.


Mine's a little different as it has the wireless scanning too. It's this one. It's been great so far, so now I've typed that, it'll break.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10188
Printer arrived towards the end of last week, here is my PRINTER REVIEW of the HP OFFICEJET PRO 8720.

It's big, but not over-the-top big, although I'm not quite sure why it's as physically large as it is, I'm sure I've seen printers with the same feature set be produced with lesser dimensions. That said there are no bits that need to open or extend for any of it to work, like our old Canon had a flap that dropped down on the front to allow prints to come out, but here it's got an always-open yawning chasm. Also there's a document feeder on the top which is potentially handy, especially for feeding documents into it.

Setup was super easy, once it was out of the box there were loads of bits of bright blue sellotape to remove which were holding various parts into place, after that it was just a case of setting it in place, plugging it in, turning it on, and following the onscreen prompts.

There are no physical buttons apart from the power button, everything else is done via a few 'soft' buttons and the touchscreen, which is a decent size/resolution and responsive enough.

The guided setup worked perfectly, and it plays little videos on the screen (with sound!) to show you how the ink cartridges go in and suchlike, there's even a little video to show you how to load the paper tray, for the feeble of mind. Attaching it to a wireless network is part of the setup, once that's done it toddles of to HP to get firmware and software updates, as well as updating its collection of built-in apps. It also gets an email address for itself so you can email things to it from anywhere and it prints them out. (That stuff isn't mandatory, but it seemed daft not to make it as connected and modern and swishy as possible.)

(I haven't had a play around with the apps yet, but there seems to be Google Drive and Dropbox integration of some form available, scan to email, and stuff like that.)

Excellently, it seems that PLUG-N-PLAY now works properly, a mere 22 years after it was first promoted with Windows 95. The three Windows 10 machines on the network all detected the new printer's presence and installed the drivers for it, and also suggested we get the HP App from the Windows Store, which I did, and it provides most of the functionality of the full software install, to the extent that I haven't even bothered installing the full software suite on any of the PCs.

I've set up scanning locations on each of our PCs through the app, so now when any of us go to the printer and press 'SCAN TO NETWORK SHARE' it asks us which of is scanning, we put our own PIN in, and then it scans to our own PCs, which Jnr is very thrilled by.

I also set up HP INSTANT INK which was a painless procedure through the HP website, the first set of cartridges should be here in 10 days apparently, in the meantime we're just using the starter cartridges it came with. Quite spookily, within 15 seconds of finishing setting it up on the HP website, I heard the printer BONG from the other room, so I walked through to it and it was cheerfully thanking me on its screen for signing up for HP INSTANT INK. Clearly we are being watched by sinister pigment-based overlords.

Printing/copying/scanning wise it all works as you'd expect, it's visibly MUCH quicker than the old MP-640, Jnr was impressed at how quickly it rattled off loads of copies of questionnaires for her animals. It has 256MB of RAM so can hold big image-heavy documents in RAM quite easily, whereas the MP-640 would pause quite regularly as the printing client on the PC sent the next bit of the document to it.

Printing quality is excellent, and the paper tray is capacious, it holds 250 sheets which is splendid.

I have gone through the moderately-torturous cashback claim process with HP which should be completed within the next three million years according to the T&Cs, and assuming I haven't got any of it wrong. TBH for £150 it's an awful lot of printer, but getting £50 cashback to make it a £100 printer would be quite the steal of the century.

It's clearly more of a 'small business' printer rather than a true 'home' printer, but since we'll lob a fair amount of stuff at it between the three of us I think it's a good choice for our situation.

There's quite a few things I haven't tried yet, such as NFC printing, and some functionality will never get used, like the fax - but out of the box it was all set up and working as I'd like for the three of us with minimal fuss and effort.

Overall, very impressed, would print again.

875/1000

Attachment:
printo.JPG


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 19:30 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10188
Yay, printer bargain-tastic!

Also, the first set of HP INSTANT INK cartridges turned up today but I won't be putting them in until the starter cartridges run out.

I printed off a 25 page document yesterday and the 8720 absolutely rattled through it, I've never seen an inkjet go fast, yes it's not as fast as the fastest lasers but it's certainly a match for any sort of midrange laser.

£100 with cashback - what a steal.

Attachment:
50o2.JPG


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 4337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PRISM, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.