Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:08 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Someone school me up here.

Oculus Rift recommended specs state either a GTX 970 or an R9 290. That would suggest that the two cards are broadly similar.

Presumably, then, it follows that the R9 390 is broadly similar to the GTX 980?

If so, why is the 980 almost double the price of the 390?

The R9 290 and the R9 390 are basically the same thing, in lieu of being able to fabricate any sort of actual new architecture AMD are just rebranding the same old tech time and time again. (They stuck an extra 4GB of (largely pointless) VRAM on the 390 and bumped the clock speeds a little bit, but other than that it's a 290.)

The GTX970 and GTX980 are actually pretty close as well (the 980 generally comes in about 15-20% faster than a 970), but the 980 commands a price far beyond the extra performance it delivers. (Both cards however use Nvidia's latest Maxwell architecture.)

The current sweet spot for mid-high end graphics cards is the GTX970, the 980 isn't worth the extra cash, and you need to jump to the 980Ti to see a substantial boost in performance from the R290/R390/GTX970/GTX980.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:15 

Well, I'm thinking for VR here where the more bang the better.

What's the difference between a 390 and a 390X? Anything?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:26 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Well, I'm thinking for VR here where the more bang the better.

What's the difference between a 390 and a 390X? Anything?

The 390X has more bang than the 390 but it's marginal and not worth the extra cash, unless you really need that extra grunt to make VR viable.

(The price premiums for the 390 to the 390X and the 970 to the 980 aren't justified by the extra performance.)

I'd spend £360 on a GTX980 rather than a 390X, the 980 is the faster card, it'll run cooler and use less juice, and Nvidia's drivers are better too.

(If you're looking to spend around £250, then I'd choose the GTX970.)

Attachment:
390andx.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 21:02 
Esoteric

The 390 is a better card than the 970.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 13:41 
Esoteric

So I got my new monitor recently. Nothing much has changed really. I did have a terrible problem about a week ago with Alienware's PCIE locking system (it can fail and I did not have any screws in the GPUs and one moved and shorted out the £500 PCIE SSD I have !) but I managed to pretty much fix all of that.

However, since getting my new monitor the clever little person that resides in the back of my brain somewhere has realised that I now have 3 inputs. Up until I bought my 4k monitor I also had a rather mean Hackintosh which is what I spent most of my day using. It was running Yosemite which I must say I didn't like as much as Mavericks but ho hum. Any way, that Hackintosh was broken down and sold for parts with others being used to build Mrs JC's MK2 Area 51 but as I posted about a couple of months back I got back my old silver tram Alienware. Only downside? it's AMD :( That would never work with El Capitan surely? well actually it does. And rather well too, apparently. Some clever so and so has written a complete core kext for the Phenom 2 range (doesn't work so well on FX sadly).

So over the next couple of weeks I am going to be reinstating the Hackintosh as my main daily grind PC. It'll be relatively game capable too (I mostly only play L4D these days) so a single GTX 760 (because SLI does nothing in OSX) will be more than enough for that :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 17:25 

Anyone have good headphones reccommendations? The plastic on my PX5's has snapped and the left thing is a tiny bit of thin plastic (and some sellotape) away from falling off...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 21:09 
Esoteric

Cookie197 wrote:
Anyone have good headphones reccommendations? The plastic on my PX5's has snapped and the left thing is a tiny bit of thin plastic (and some sellotape) away from falling off...

Headphones or headset?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 21:54 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:

Headphones or headset?

Ah, headset is the correct term i think? It needs a microphone :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 23:11 
Esoteric

Best for sound/price is the Kingston HyperX Cloud 2. The one based on the Qpad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:18 
Esoteric

Sound sound sound !

Obviously since dropping my monitor resolution to 1440p I've been graced with the luxury of being able to disable Crossfire and just gaming on one card. Bliss ! So I decided to change out my headphone amp (I bought the one I am using now for a cheaper pair of headphones, not the Grado RS2E I now have). After doing a lot of reading I decided on this.

And this to go with it.

SB Titanium HD. I don't like the sound of the speakers in the monitor at all, but because it's so big I can't use speakers on the desk. So, I bought one of these for £65 on Ebay (pristine, this isn't mine here)

And then as a hobby type thing I took it apart and binned the old Bose amp (the bit on the back) and replaced it with my own amp and refitted the cover (the bit on the back). It adds a lovely slab of bass to the sound :)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 23:04 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm a big proponent of spending a reasonable amount of cash on high quality speakers/headphones and associated gubbins, those things will last for years and years. (See also - monitor (literally, lol), keyboard, mouse.)

Peripherals I suppose, things where you buy decent and only need to buy once for a long time.

My current speakers and headphones are coming up to a decade old, both cost a fair wedge of cash when new but still work perfectly and deliver awesome sound (the speakers have an external break-out box for headphones, which are Sennheiser HD595s), and they're married to an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude sound card. It looks like Auzentech are no more now, but their sound card is still working just fine (then again it did cost £150 IIRC) - and I've never regretted dropping the cash on it.

Music is timeless and wonderful - worth spending a few quid on.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:33 

Hearthly wrote:
Music is timeless.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm turns out I was a bit drunk last night, bonus Saturday night what with it being a bank holiday today and all. (And I'm on call this week which means seven totally dry days. Yuck.)

I still agree with the sentiments of my post, although the hippy shit on the end wasn't necessary. I was listening to very uplifting trance whilst writing it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 14:52 

My post was in no way meant as criticism or even disagreement. For some reason that video just popped into my head.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 16:01 
Hello Hello Hello

lasermink wrote:
My post was in no way meant as criticism or even disagreement. For some reason that video just popped into my head.

I didn't take it as a criticism, I thought the video was rather funny :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
lasermink wrote:

I didn't take it as a criticism, I thought the video was rather funny :)

haha he got the hair right :P

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:12 

nVidia announced the GTX 1080 and 1070.

http://uploadvr.com/vr-performance-gets ... hics-card/

1080: faster than Titan X, faster than 980Ti SLI, $600. Very good performance-per-watt:

http://uploadvr.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 204116.jpg

1079: $379, faster than Titan X. Compared to the 970, it'll be 50% or more more powerful, about 25% more expensive.

There'll be a 1060 later in the year, likely around the $200 mark.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:07 
Esoteric

I can't remember the last time I saw a 60 series card that was actually any good. Maybe the 660?. The 760 was just a rebadged 670 and the 960 wasn't much better than a 760. They definitely want you on the higher tier cards that's for sure.

Very impressive performance figures. Not sure what sort of overclocks they can do yet which could end up making them a little slower than Nvidia have touted them to be (this is the main point of discussion atm).

Obviously not worth touching for the first few months because there will be a whole load of price gouging going on and the early adopter's tax. I see Nvidia have changed SLi too to SLiHB or something. So they're obviously confident that there games are going to work with future games because they don't work in SLi with much right now.

Oh. Also this. That cooler is disgusting. What the fuck were they thinking?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:38 

There's every chance the 1060 will deliver approximately 970 performance, which means it'll be a 1080p ultra-settings monster for $200 (whilst also being cooler/quieter). That would be a bargain and a half for a living room build.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I think the 1070 will be the one to watch here, same as the 970 was this gen. Most of the performance of the higher tier card, but for a lot less cash - optimal bangs per buck.

I suspect the 1060 will indeed come in at around 970 performance give or take, which as Doc G notes will make it a 1080p crushinator, and perfectly able to have a decent crack at 1440p.

Also it's worth noting that Nvidia absolutely didn't gouge for the 970 at launch, to the extent that it made AMD's entire line-up look pretty damn stupid until AMD dropped their prices sharpish. Indeed the 970's price has been remarkably steady for its entire existence, generally around the £250-£275 mark for the cheapest cards.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:09 
Esoteric

I will be getting a 1070. It's due later in the summer apparently. The Fury X will go into Nicola's rig if I can mount both the rads and the Titan Black will go into the TV rig giving that a nice shot in the arm :)

4gb of HBM simply isn't enough as I have found out.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:36 
Unpossible!

Hairy Bollocked Men?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:48 
UltraMod

1070 here I come (in about a year probably)!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 13:00 
Esoteric

Yeah I'm sold on that I think :) Definitely waiting for the nice coolers though those stock ones look awful.

Apparently they get quite hot too so the cooler will have its work cut out. Had a few complaints from Titan X owners that the stock design was beginning to creak a little.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 13:34 
UltraMod

I wouldn't expect these to run as hot as the Titan X, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 13:54 
Esoteric

Lonewolves wrote:
I wouldn't expect these to run as hot as the Titan X, though.

Apparently they do, with a top temp said to be 96c. However, the 1080 only has one 8 pin connector so it's who you believe right now. Nvidia say the normal working temp is in the 70s which wouldn't be too bad, but the Titan X had a similar working temp and the fan was noisy. I don't know if they have done any work under the hood or just let some idiot squash it but either way I think I will wait for AIB partners to improve the PCB and cooler design :)

Oh yeah, they are binning chips it would seem, with both cards coming with a better version (I forget what Nvidia call it now) but these versions are $100 more (Partner versions?) and can clock to 2.1ghz :blown:

So yeah, they will probably get hot but with only one 8 pin they shouldn't be very greedy power wise. I've had a real gut full with these AMD cards. The other day during a four hour The Division session my main card was fucking throttling. It's no big deal, it was partly my fault (due to the case restrictions I have only one Fury X can be ran with two aftermarket fans) I just need to switch them around I must have put them in backward after the recent clean. When running as a pair the card gets enough cooling from the one fan, but as a main card it gets really hot and starts to throttle.

If the VRAM wasn't so stupidly low I would not be eyeing up a new card, but 4gb is totally poxy. I'm just glad I bought them both quite cheap.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 14:05 

I've already posted a graph showing power draw of the 1080 compared to current cards http://uploadvr.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 204116.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 14:12 
Esoteric

The binned cards are called "Founders Edition".

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/news/nvi ... er-97.html

Rumour is that Nvidia are guaranteeing 2ghz.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 14:21 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I've already posted a graph showing power draw of the 1080 compared to current cards http://uploadvr.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 204116.jpg

Sorry, missed that. But yeah, as I expected.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 14:25 
Esoteric

Jesus. The OCUK marketplace has been flooded with 980tis. People actually think they are going to get £440 for them too. Ebay prices are also plummeting it would seem. OCUK humour is on top form however, with some one just posting this. "The person who bought a 980ti recently and trying to sell it".

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:19 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
Yeah I'm sold on that I think :) Definitely waiting for the nice coolers though those stock ones look awful.

I can honestly say that the one thing I've never, ever, given any thought to whatsoever when it comes to PC components, is "what the cooler on the graphics card looks like".

As long as it does a respectable job of keeping the card cool and stops it from throttling (I'm looking at you, AMD), and doesn't make too much noise whilst it's about it (I'm looking at you, AMD) - that'll be fine.

The last AMD card on a stock cooler I had the misfortune to be in the same room as was a mate who bought a 290X - that was an unpleasant experience. Fortunately for him it broke and he was able to replace it with a 780Ti - and thus ended his brief foray into the world of AMD.

I'll probably go 'whole new PC' a in two or three months time, mine is properly cracking on a bit now, and the latest wave of games are starting push it a bit at 1440p. Witcher 3 and The Division even necessitated a drop down to 1080p to maintain full pretties and 60FPS, which made me a bit tweaky. (Non-native res, and all that.)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 
Esoteric

As bad as the stock 290x cooler was (I've had a 290 stock) it wasn't much worse than the GTX 480 you used to have. You need to remember that when Nvidia were playing "Titan" AMD came along with a card just as fast for half the price. The 290x was so successful that AMD are still making them today (with better coolers and more VRAM).

My personal throttling issue should not have been happening. I have two of them (Fury X rads) mounted in the front, but due to clearance issues I can only use one fan on pull. Not only that, but these are my own fans and I have removed the PWM fans that came on them. My main card is obviously doing all of the work, and somewhere at some point I must have accidentally switched them around so that the main card was the one with only one fan on. The other card has two 120mm fans in push pull. As a secondary card it gets nowhere near as hot and I knew that and had designed the layout that way. I must have gotten confused when fitting the second card. Any way, the Division soars along at 60 FPS on one card here.

There are options for 290/x coolers too dude. Most namely Corsair's AIO adapter. Max temps you will see out of one of those is 60c with the fan on idle.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:58 
Hello Hello Hello

I wouldn't necessarily take issue with any of that, but the fact remains that on the stock cooler the 290X ran bastard hot, throttled itself to buggery, and even in a well-ventilated case, as my mate found out - was quite capable of frying itself.

The GTX480 was a pretty nonsensical card in a lot of ways, but mine gave two or three years of solid service (I honestly forget how long I had it for), and I only moved on when it couldn't hack (IIRC) BF3 maxed out at 1440p. (And I sold it on for £50.) The fan wasn't even that noisy, on account it having a heatstink the size of a small planet that you could prepare a hearty meal of eggs and bacon on :D

As for the next-gen architectures, it looks like AMD are targeting Polaris at the mid-range and mobile spaces, keeping the R9 Fury at the top of their product stack, which is fine of course but makes the 1070/1080 far more interesting IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 18:38 

Sucks to be someone that just bought a 980.

Like me.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 19:29 

Sucks to be someone looking to pick up a second hand 980 cheap from some VR enthusiast upgrading to a 1080.

Oh, wait, no it doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 13:20 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:
Sucks to be someone that just bought a 980.

Like me.

Does it do what you need it to? I mean yeah, obviously it stings a bit because the 1080 is apparently twice as fast in VR (because of the shite memory bus and so on that the 980 uses and how it isn't great for DX12) but if it does what you need it to then I wouldn't sweat it dude :)

I mean think about how I bought three Titan Black cards for £700 a go, only for Nvidia to launch the 970 which was nearly as fast for half that three months later. It doesn't seem to matter when you buy a GPU you always get burnt. But that's technology and a company who will roll on regardless making you want all of their new toys.

Been a lot of discussion on this on various forums I visit and the general feeling seems to be that it won't be long before Nvidia hit a brick wall like Intel have, so need to milk it whilst they can. That means "Founder editions" and so on, the old bottled air technique. How do you sell a mid range piece of silicon for Titan price? well you hype the fuck out of it then call it Founder's edition and sell it for £550 even though that is more than high end Maxwell cost just before..

The 970 and 980 were literally *just* about fit for purpose really. Both had awful memory systems and crappy bandwidth and all of the muscle simply wasn't there like it was on the 780ti and 980ti. However, they sold by the fuck load. It's very clever by Nvidia really. I don't know whether they did it deliberately to make the 1080 so much better for VR or whether they just keep getting lucky.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 15:19 
Esoteric

Fury X, £250 inc next day UPS.

Card.

Packed.

And boxed.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 15:31 
UltraMod

First ever reverse unboxing I've ever seen. Reboxing.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 15:36 
Hello Hello Hello

If we had a couple of pics in B&W it could be a really nerdy version of Memento.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 15:38 
Esoteric

Lonewolves wrote:

I think most Crossfire users would be well versed in it really :D Apart from those who bought the 295x2.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 21:41 
Esoteric

Fury X has sold. So has GTX 760 Mars so has Titan Black. All I have to do now is move the second Fury X into Mrs JC's PC and I will be ready !

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 23:29 
Can you dig it?

Lonewolves wrote:

This could be a new thing. Maybe I should work on the kids, instead of watching youtube videos where spoilt kids get more and more toys out, we could make our own - of putting stuff the hell away >:(

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

This could be a new thing. Maybe I should work on the kids, instead of watching youtube videos where spoilt kids get more and more toys out, we could make our own - of putting stuff the hell away >:(

This looks like a job for my mom and dads loft! I've got tons of toys up there, most of which have boxes stored away. I'm in the process of reboxing them all at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 
Esoteric

Even I never saw that happening lmao.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 
Unpossible!

?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 
Master of dodgy spelling....

it is a pic of a graphics a card :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kov's PC knowledge is improving.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:32 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
?

Just bought it.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 

You bought a pic of a graphics card? Next you'll be telling me you've joined the Star Citizen crew and have bought pictures of a spaceship.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:10 
Paws for thought

I bought an xbox box.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 119  Next