Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lost
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 0:58 
lazy eye patch

Lost. The TV series. I'm really, really liking this series so far. There's only been one episode that I didn't find gripping and interesting and stuff. Much better than the last one. It's the incidental touches that do it for me. Such as one in the most recent ep in America. Is this on today (Sunday the 27th) on Sky? If so, you'll want to make sure you watch it. I think.

Post subject: Re: Lost
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, it's on tonight. I've been informed it's a goodun, in non-spoilerific fashion. Lost is great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 
lazy eye patch

Yup, it is indeed a good 'un. WITHOUT spoiling anything:
The flashbacks are good and not full of e.g. Jack just moping about a bit. Stuff happens!
You discover a bit more about one of the 'original weird things on Lost'! And if you watch it again and are into speculation, potentially even more than that!
No inane sub-plot!
Other stuff, obviously!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:21 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
Yeah, it's on tonight. I've been informed it's a goodun, in non-spoilerific fashion. Lost is great.

I think sky is a week behind this series, so this episode is actually on next sunday on sky.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

Everything is going to rest heavily on the 6th season. It doesn't matter how great and enticing the series is in the meantime, unless they wrap it up really well and answer all the questions that need answering, the loyal fanbase is going to feel so entirely short-changed that it'll forever be considered shite on the whole.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 
Time Out for Fun

I'd be suprised if they didnt milke a movie out of this aswell. As for the new episode, off the hook, Bens become James bond or something with his one-liners and twice I did a What the Fuck?! in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 13:38 
lazy eye patch

Ben is simply a superb character, portrayed perfectly. They should just call the show 'Ben' and have it just be him going around doing his shopping, and finding ways to manipulate the postman into beating up the milkman so the postman's wife is all his (to give to the milkman in penance for the death of the milkman's wife). Or something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 13:51 
What-ho, chaps!

I still prefer reading about Lost to watching it (it just gets it done quicker), and it seems that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Ben is a right arsehole that should have been KILLED by EVERYBODY HE MEETS at the EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY.

I don't mind villains getting away with stuff but Ben's no villain, he's just a confusing bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 13:58 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 14:00 
Time Out for Fun

MrD wrote:
I still prefer reading about Lost to watching it (it just gets it done quicker), and it seems that
Ben is a right arsehole that should have been KILLED by EVERYBODY HE MEETS at the EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY.

I don't mind villains getting away with stuff but Ben's no villain, he's just a confusing bastard.

Thats the thing though, I reckoned Ben will turn out to be a good guy of sorts, well I did before that episode, the flash/forward scenes of him suggest hes still an evil bastard especially when he gives that cheeky grin after im guessing fooling sayeed into killing that man. Its going to be interesting whos the real bad guy between him and whitmore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 14:00 
lazy eye patch

I dunno about that MrD. Ben has done some nasty stuff for sure, but I have a feeling (a hope even), that it'll turn out that he is somehow the 'lesser of two evils'. Jim Robinson being perhaps worse, maybe. Runcle, I dunno that he did trick Sayid. I reckon he told the truth, but he did actually want that guy to give a message to Whitmore, and Sayid turning up and killing him was not what he wanted - though Sayid giving his service definitely did put a big smile on his face. He's all about brief facial expressions. Awesomeage.

Relating to the most recent new episode:
When Ben runs off into that hidden room, and apparently then activates the black smoke - the expression on his face after he opens that rather ancient looking portal and enters - gone is his usual aloofness, he looks totally different. It's not just the lighting, he looks absolutely terrified, just for the second or so you see him enter. For me, that was the most interesting part of the episode, though I found it All Good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 17:31 
Isn't that lovely?

Just watched the episode and yeah that was really quite good wasn't it.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 
Sleepyhead

Ben has always been my favourite character.

I love how he has continually put himself in massive amounts of danger, because to him it's all some sort of wonderful game... until this week when they killed Alex, and 'the rules have changed'.

I'm now interested in what the rules were!

Also, interesting that Ben wakes up in the Sahara not knowing 'when' it is. How did the guys on horseback know he was 'coming'. How did he get there? There must be some form of strange arcane transport system on the island, which links Island/Arctic/Desert. This explains the survey team in the ice, the polar bears on the island, the polar bears found with the Dharma logo in the desert, Ben's clothing upon appearing in the desert, and the fact that his first breath out once appearing was frosty.

I loves me some Lost.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is it worth me putting Lost in my 'DVD Boxsets to buy and watch' list?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes. Or I can just lend you 1-3.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:30 
lazy eye patch

Curiosity, I like your way of thinking! Very interesting.

Grim... definitely you should watch it, just be warned that there ARE some duff episodes. Also lots of awesome ones. The 4th series is so far almost all awesome, so consider that the carrot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
Is it worth me putting Lost in my 'DVD Boxsets to buy and watch' list?

I wouldn't, on the grounds of there being zero rewatch value. I'd never go back and watch any of it again. The whole thing is based on not knowing what the hell is going on, or what happens next. I'd never be able to sit through any of the long drawn-out episodes on dvd again, knowing what happens.

Also:
I'd feel like I was wasting too much time watching the back stories of people they just then kill over and never reference again. Seriously, there were SO MANY fucking 'Charlie' flashback episodes and then he fucking died. What a boring waste of goddamn time. It's only the rest of the intrigue that's keeping me going.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:58 
Time Out for Fun

Hmm, I was thinking that Ben similar to curiosity, theres a look of puzzlement on his face when he looks around, and the clothes suggested arctic, is it a machine or some kind of ability aswell. I also had a feeling Ben may have the ability to create those hallucinations people had seen. Possibly that secret chamber he goes in gives him that ability and that of the black smoke. also the whole 'changing the rules thing' Im guessing family shouldn be killed and that andy 'powers of the island shouldnt be used, thus why ben didnt use the black smoke before the army men reached the village.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:59 
What-ho, chaps!

Curiosity wrote:
Ben has always been my favourite character.

I love how he has continually put himself in massive amounts of danger, because to him it's all some sort of wonderful game... until this week when they killed Alex, and 'the rules have changed'.

I'm now interested in what the rules were!

Also, interesting that Ben wakes up in the Sahara not knowing 'when' it is. How did the guys on horseback know he was 'coming'. How did he get there? There must be some form of strange arcane transport system on the island, which links Island/Arctic/Desert. This explains the survey team in the ice, the polar bears on the island, the polar bears found with the Dharma logo in the desert, Ben's clothing upon appearing in the desert, and the fact that his first breath out once appearing was frosty.

I loves me some Lost.

Screw the rules, I have money!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:01 
lazy eye patch

CG:

Aye to the tedious and pointless flashbacks. I have hope however, that they might revisit some of those flashbacks though. To show you that OMG BEN WAS THERE ALL THE TIME or OMG JACK IS A WOMAN or whatever. This or something like that.

And yeah, as much as I massively enjoy it, I don't think that I'd rewatch Lost. Not after the week I originally see it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:03 
Legendary Boogeyman

Same with shows like 24 - never rewatched a single one.

Might have value in a few years time when I can't remember what the fuck happened in the first place, but given the immensely formulaic plot, I'll probably be able to guess anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:04 
What-ho, chaps!

Here's a spoiler for 24
The bad guy/important data gets away/gets killed/gets destroyed at the last minute, shortly after revealing another way to diffuse the situation. En route to this alternate solution, Jack is ambushed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:06 
Isn't that lovely?

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Same with shows like 24 - never rewatched a single one.

Might have value in a few years time when I can't remember what the fuck happened in the first place, but given the immensely formulaic plot, I'll probably be able to guess anyway.

I went to watch season 1 again and it was a bit dull, I couldn't watch past the 3rd episode, as I just knew what was coming up

So yeah, you are right.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:18 
Sleepyhead

To be honest, I have never re-watched any of my non-comedy DVD box sets. That includes 24, Lost and The Wire.

That said, I caught an episode of The Wire on TV the other day and was instantly hooked into it again. So I might go back and watch it again at some point, especially series one, as I was so confused for the first few episodes, but now I know who everyone is, I bet it would be better second time around.

As for Lost, given the mysterious nature of the show and the propensity for pick to come up with theories etc, I would be interested to see a few episodes again for the sake of continuity.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:33 
lazy eye patch

This weak's episode.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 0:02 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 0:41 
Isn't that lovely?

CUS wrote:
This weak's episode.

I've only just got round to watching this, but um WTF?

Malc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:32 
lazy eye patch

Since it's been on TV now... eh, I just was going to say 'Well, I thought was a bit rubbish really', but I bore easily.
After a Ben-centric episode of thrills and spills, it was a lot to ask of me, to care for Jack's health and well-being for 45 minutes. Even if it had been his birthday, and it was the present he most wanted.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 

Not that I mind because I've seen it, but I think Sky are a week and a half behind now as opposed to half a week behind like they were earlier in the series, so this episode hasn't actually shown over here yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 
Sleepyhead

Spoilerfied for the Sky viewers

Yeah, it was kinda okay, and at least filled in from Kate's court case -> Jack going mental as seen at the end of Season 3, but on the whole 'Jack' episodes are often the most boring.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:06 
lazy eye patch

Joans wrote:
Not that I mind because I've seen it, but I think Sky are a week and a half behind now as opposed to half a week behind like they were earlier in the series, so this episode hasn't actually shown over here yet.

Oops! Thanks for the heads' up, spoilerified.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:37 
Sleepyhead

CUS wrote:
Joans wrote:

Ditto.

Sky are morons. They actually pushed the date back and caused people who would prefer to watch it on TV (like me) to say 'screw it' and get the DL. Why did they push the date back? To coincide with their new series of 'Gladiators'.

I despair...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 19:11 
Kindly deeds done for free

Curiosity wrote:
CUS wrote:
Joans wrote:

Ditto.

Sky are morons. They actually pushed the date back and caused people who would prefer to watch it on TV (like me) to say 'screw it' and get the DL. Why did they push the date back? To coincide with their new series of 'Gladiators'.

I despair...

Actually it could be so that there's an uninterrupted run of episodes; I think I read somewhere that the last episode will be delayed a week to make room for a two-hour last-in-the-series episode of Gray's Anatomy.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 20:06 

tossrStu wrote:
Actually it could be so that there's an uninterrupted run of episodes; I think I read somewhere that the last episode will be delayed a week to make room for a two-hour last-in-the-series episode of Gray's Anatomy.
This makes sense, as Lost actually started last Sunday and Gladiators doesn't start until next week. Sky often do this (delay the start to synchronise the end of a series) and I think that's alright in the grand scheme of things. I'm happy watching Lost off Sky One than torrents, particularly as I can watch them in hidef without messing around.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:12 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Oooo...just finishing watching the two parter. No spoilers included suffice to say if you are in the slightest bit interested in the Lost (either now or previously) you really should tune in on Sunday. It's a splendid conclusion to the series, tying most stuff up nicely (while raising inevitably more questions) and setting up the next two series. Oh and yes, we find out who is in the box.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

I just finished watching it. It's as baffling as ever. Can't wait for all 6 seasons of this bastard thing to finish, with the promise of explanation.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 20:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Shit, I knew there was something I should download today.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 22:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've just watched the first half of the two-parter, and it was bloody good. This series has been mostly great episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:58 
Sleepyhead

For every answer they give, there's a new bloody question!

BAH!

Ben is the bestest character ever

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]