Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: eBay tales of woe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:58 
UltraMod

:shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 

Also, I think eBay mandates what the maximum amount you can charge for postage is for particular types of item - including in some cases forcing you to offer free delivery.

Unless they've gone back on that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

GazChap wrote:
Also, I think eBay mandates what the maximum amount you can charge for postage is for particular types of item - including in some cases forcing you to offer free delivery.

Unless they've gone back on that.

They have arbitrary limits on items / on specific categories which you cannot go above (e.g. I think for posting a 'game' the maximum is about £3.50 ?)

Some of these make sense and help to stop the 'item for a penny and £10 postage' which in the past also dodged the ebay final value fees , however sometimes what you are listing in that catagory cannot be posted for that amount - the obvious one that hit me for this was magazines

I was selling off some older magazines , and listed a pack of 10 - the maximum postage allowed in that category is around £3 and postage would be a lot more (I think i ended up putting local collection down and saying I would post but would post at whatever the actual cost was and we sorted it out afterwards).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:13 
Decapodian

TheVision wrote:
My mom bought a jacket off eBay and paid for it along with £5.50 postage. We then received a message off the seller saying that they were going to be in our area yesterday afternoon so if someone was in, they'd drop it off.

We said fine but asked if they could have refunded the postage since they're not posting it. The seller responded by saying that they wouldn't refund it as they were using their time and petrol to drop it off and instead... Have now posted it.

I'm not sure whether I'm in the wrong here? People are weird.

Yep, you are.
The time and fuel to get it to your door aren't free, so I'm not sure why you would expect it to be delivered for zero cost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:25 
Awesome
Yes

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
TheVision wrote:
My mom bought a jacket off eBay and paid for it along with £5.50 postage. We then received a message off the seller saying that they were going to be in our area yesterday afternoon so if someone was in, they'd drop it off.

We said fine but asked if they could have refunded the postage since they're not posting it. The seller responded by saying that they wouldn't refund it as they were using their time and petrol to drop it off and instead... Have now posted it.

I'm not sure whether I'm in the wrong here? People are weird.

Yep, you are.
The time and fuel to get it to your door aren't free, so I'm not sure why you would expect it to be delivered for zero cost.

No, but they said they were going to be in the area. So they were paying that time and fuel regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I would have expected it to be free (or a little cheaper at least) because they messaged saying they were in the area anyway so you'd imagine that the cost of them being here would be covered by whatever reason they're here for.

I wouldn't charge someone for dropping something off if I was in the area but maybe it's because I'm a nice guy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:39 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I wouldn't charge someone for dropping something off if I was in the area but maybe it's because I'm a nice guy?

Don't worry, most people are just arseholes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've been on this forum long enough to know that you're exactly right. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I sold a T-shirt on ebay and when the buyer received it, he said it didn't fit right and asked for a refund. I agreed with this as I don't want the hassle.

He sent it back fine and dandy and I've refunded him the price of the item plus his original postage. He's now saying that I should refund the postage that he spent getting the T-shirt back to me.

It's not a massive amount, but it's now all about principles. What do you think? Should I refund him some more?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 
UltraMod

If it were defective I would say yes, but he's bought it and returned it unwanted, so I would say no at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 
Excellent Member

Doesn't eBay have guidelines about this situation? It must happen all the time and leaving it up to constant individual negotiations between buyers and sellers is just asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Doesn't eBay have guidelines about this situation? It must happen all the time and leaving it up to constant individual negotiations between buyers and sellers is just asking for trouble.

Good idea, I was just basing it on my experience of buying things online. If I send something back faulty, they usually cover all the costs, but if I don't want it then I have to pay the postage to return it. Seems fair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've had a quick look as I've only found out about it this morning but I can't see anything official yet.

The moneysavingexpert forum seems to think that I don't need to refund them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

It can be tricky and if it was faulty then you would probably have to pay his return postage however the 'wrong size' (as long as you gave the size accurately in your description) is not one you have to worry about.

FYI I had something similar with Amazon and a marketplace sale - I bought a t-shirt , it didnt fit and i returned it - i got my original postage (and the item) amount back but i had to cover the return

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I sold a T-shirt on ebay and when the buyer received it, he said it didn't fit right and asked for a refund. I agreed with this as I don't want the hassle.

He sent it back fine and dandy and I've refunded him the price of the item plus his original postage. He's now saying that I should refund the postage that he spent getting the T-shirt back to me.

It's not a massive amount, but it's now all about principles. What do you think? Should I refund him some more?

If you made it clear that the t-shirt was say medium on your sale then its down to the buyer to check what he is buying especially with clothes. If you specified the size then the item can't be classed as not as described

I think you have been very good, I would have sold this with no return attached to it. I would call Ebay they are usually quick to answer and helpful.

Think the guy is being unreasonable unless you got the size wrong in the sale or didn't show it. Even then what sort of dick would buy clothes without checking the size first?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
FYI I had something similar with Amazon and a marketplace sale - I bought a t-shirt , it didnt fit and i returned it - i got my original postage (and the item) amount back but i had to cover the return

This is absolutely the course of action I would expect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This is what I was thinking. The guy seems adamant that I owe him the postage but I'll see how it goes. Incidentally, PayPal won't let you increase the amount of a refund past the total price+postage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 
UltraMod

My advice is never to sell on eBay. It's a principle I've stuck to for about ten years now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 
Paws for thought

I don't think I've even used ebay since

Which has been aided by how crap it's become.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
I don't think I've even used ebay since

Which has been aided by how crap it's become.

I will buy stuff if I can't get it elsewhere (or it's prohibitively expensive elsewhere), but I will never sell now - it's way too skewed towards the buyer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It is swayed to the buyer but what's the alternative? I've got stuff to get rid of that is worth too much to take to a charity shop so where else can I sell them that has eBay's reach?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 
Excellent Member

I've never had an eBay account because the very idea of buying from, or selling to, randoms on the internet seem like something only a crazy person would sign up for voluntarily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:52 
Gogmagog

I bought a tweed jacket. It was the wrong size. It cost £12 in total so I will throw it away. Or offer it as a cottage quiz prize. I suppose if you spend hours arguing over 4 quid is it worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
It is swayed to the buyer but what's the alternative? I've got stuff to get rid of that is worth too much to take to a charity shop so where else can I sell them that has eBay's reach?

Gumtree? Amazon?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Amazon confuses me. Is Gumtree any good? I've seen adverts for it but it's clearly not as big or as popular as ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:16 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
I've never had an eBay account because the very idea of buying from, or selling to, randoms on the internet seem like something only a crazy person would sign up for voluntarily.

I buy from eBay, but would not sell. MrsA does that through Facebook groups. I tend to only buy low end bike tat mind you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:21 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

I'd rather do without the cash for the hassle it can cause and charity shop the whole lot. I must have given away so much stuff that has real value. I appreciate not everyone can afford to be that choosy, though.

I sold all my Xbox 360 stuff on Amazon Marketplace though. They take a higher cut, but because they already have everything in their catalogue it makes listing it super easy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 21:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:

Just for the record, I gave him a refund for only the shirt plus one lot of postage. Ebay agreed this was fine and the case was closed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm here again.

I've sold an ipod that's got to go to Italy but apparently, royal mail won't let you send lithium batteries through the post.

I'm going to have to go somewhere else and lie about what's inside. I mean, what's the chances of being found out? Slim I would have thought.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:23 
Excellent Member

I had a comedy issue with this kind of thing once. I'd packaged up a phone and was in the post office with it. The women asked if I'd left the battery in and, assuming they'd prefer I left it disconnected, I lied and said I'd taken it out before packaging it all up. It turns out this was the wrong assumption so I had to take my parcel round the corner and stand there for ten minutes then come back in again pretending I'd repacked it with the battery connected. That'll teach me to not read regulations and then lie about it. By which I mean it'll teach me to lie more efficiently in future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 
Excellent Member

Also iPods must be getting shipped through the post all the time; it seems bonkers that they'd be unpostable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

TheVision wrote:
I'm here again.

I've sold an ipod that's got to go to Italy but apparently, royal mail won't let you send lithium batteries through the post.

I'm going to have to go somewhere else and lie about what's inside. I mean, what's the chances of being found out? Slim I would have thought.

how odd, i sent a rechargeable sports watch. They just stuck a sticker on it, saying it had a battery in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Well, she gave me a leaflet on what I can and can't post and it says I can post an electrical item with the battery connected? Strange..

I'll try somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 
Master of dodgy spelling....

She is being a numpty.. how else can the royal mail be competitive!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:38 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
it says I can post an electrical item with the battery connected

Is this a typo? Or have you just managed to completely confuse me?

Also this list specifically says you can post batteries as long as they're connected which yours would be in the case of an iPod:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help- ... ited-Goods

You need to package the device in a specific way but it's totally allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 

TheVision wrote:
Well, she gave me a leaflet on what I can and can't post and it says I can post an electrical item with the battery connected? Strange..

I'll try somewhere else.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help- ... s-overseas

It seems to suggest above that they are OK to send as long as well packaged. That's specifically for international post.

By the way, get some proof of postage to Italy. Italy has I think, the highest level of mail fraud in Europe, to the point where it is the one European country that many websites refuse to ship to because of the amount of packages claimed as not received. It may have changed in the last four or five years, but I am pretty certain that it used to be a very problematic issue for sellers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just been to another post office and they took it with no problems at all.

Good advice on the postage though Mimi. I've sent it tracked and signed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:18 

Yeah, I think she might be getting a bit confused: she probably knows that there are some restrictions on Lithium batteries, but can't remember or fathom the small details and so it was easiest for her to say you couldn't ship it.

I had a quick look on the Internet about Italy, and yes, it does look like a lot of sellers still elect not to send goods there. There are a few other countries listed, but this appears to be the only major European country that people are very wary about. I remember having a lot of problem with the post to and from Italy - I had an Italian friend who posted me things a couple of times and they never arrived (which was a shame as they were beautiful hand made toys) but both from the postal workers prospective and from people claiming unreceived goods there does seem to be a bit of a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:19 

I like to think that there's a room of hard mafia types somewhere, still with my box of hand-sewn doughnuts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:21 
Noob as of 6/8/10

and indigestion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 14:35 
Esoteric

The last time I sold something on Ebay (and it will be the last time) was about five months ago. I sold my Blackberry Q10 when I upgraded to the Passport.

Anywho, I listed it on Ebay for about a tenner less than the going rate hoping for a quick sale. I got one too, within a few hours. When I compared the Paypal address to the address given by Ebay they did not match. So I ran the address on Paypal and it did not exist. So instead of messaging the buyer through Ebay I decided I would use the Paypal email, just to make sure I went "off grid" to ensure this wasn't a scammer. After repeated emails to the buyer warning him that I would not ship the phone until he had his confirmed address sorted he finally sorted it, with a completely different address.

I sent the phone, as promised, by RMSD. It was delivered the following morning and signed for by "Mohammed".

Everything went quiet (I didn't receive any feedback) so I assumed that was the end of the matter. Then all of a sudden one day I log into Paypal and it says "Payment on hold -£127". So my Paypal account was £127 in the red. Thinking nothing of it I went about my day and ordered some paper from Ebay. All of a sudden £6.99 plus the £127 are taken from my bank account.

So I phoned Paypal and apparently the buyer had claimed that even though he had communicated with me the payment was not authorised. So I sent Ebay all of the emails that I had sent to and fro with him and they put the money back, but I decided from that moment on it was just too risky.

I'm not exactly the richest person on the planet and had I been having a bad month or something that £-127 they took from my bank would have put me overdrawn (something I can claim to never EVER having being throughout my entire life) and in all sorts of trouble. I don't have an overdraft and nor do I want one (it's an Aspie thing) so instead of going overdrawn I don't, but I would get slapped with a hefty fine by the bank.

It's just too risky. Not only that but it's absolutely fucking rife with fakes. I've even had fake fucking vaping coils sent to me FFS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 17:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, some nice eBayer has bought the Jag. Now we've just got to see if they send the deposit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 17:38 
Decapodian

And I think I've sold my Vespa too. Then the fun job of finding something else to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 20:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

Has anyone else noticed this weird kind of, well, listing spam I guess it is, on Amazon lately?

Most items sell 1 of a thing, but lately virtually every item I see has variants added selling 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. of the same item, except those listings selling 2 cost way more than twice as much as the guy selling 1. The price per item actually increases with quantity.

What the shit is this about? Some kind of opportunistic listing where they assume people mindlessly wanting to buy two will buy the over-inflated listing, instead of two of the 1-quantity listing?

Here's an example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00026LJQG

I presume you don't even need to hold the stock. You just buy two of the item from the Amazon seller selling one, then 'ship' it to the actual buyer, pocketing the difference?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 13:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The nice lady is coming to collect the Jag in an hour. Chances of it actually being sold via eBay have now risen to 15%.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 13:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A friend of mine has just sold a Metal Gear solid expansion pack for the PS1 and a Solid Snake figure for £670.

Mind blowing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 14:01 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Mind blowing.

Yeah, imagine willingly parting with some gaming tat!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 14:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I kno, rite?

I've sold a fair bit of stuff recently but I have a rule that says I don't sell anything gaming related. That has left me with some life sized wrestler cut outs that I can't sell as they were used to promote the Smackdown games.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 14:07 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I kno, rite?

I've sold a fair bit of stuff recently but I have a rule that says I don't sell anything gaming related. That has left me with some life sized wrestler cut outs that I won't sell as they were used to promote the Smackdown games.

Fixed for the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 14:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
The nice lady is coming to collect the Jag in an hour. Chances of it actually being sold via eBay have now risen to 15%.

Huh, now it's risen to 100%.

They didn't even test drive it 8)

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next