Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: eBay tales of woe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 19:11 
Skillmeister

Look at this twat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281156080489

Quote:
For the 'clever' guys - the open HDD don`t mean it`s not working, this generation of HDD are not being made by the VACUUM technology so there is no problem to open and close it as much times as you wish.

The hermetization is made only for protection from moisture. The only thing you have to do is to put some silica-gel in it to extract the eventual moisture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

An ebay tale of woe for you - something that happened to my girlfriend over the course of the last few weeks and I dont really see what else she could have done - but she's now down about £20 just 'because' of the way ebay and the buyer handled things

Item sold on ebay for around £100 - posted straight away with tracking info and that tracking info added to ebay and sent to the buyer

About 3 weeks after that the buyer starts a dispute to say 'he has not recieved the item' - we check the tracking info and it says its waiting at the depot for someone to arrange re-collection - we tell the buyer this and point out he has the tracking number so could have checked this himself - and that he can simply get in touch to have it redelivered

No response from buyer and so we call the depot and they say that it can be re-delivered whenever he wants he just needs to get in touch with them

Nothing from the buyer and then he says he has arranged for re-delivery but when we look at the tracking info it seems to be being returned to us (having sat there for too long) - and sure enough about a week later it arrives back here

Buyer raises his claim to ebay asking for a full refund including postage (so we'd be out about a tenner) - we counter saying that we can refund minus postage or he can pay the postage again and we'll send it again - he does not respond - after 8 days ebay 'investigates' - finds in the buyers favour and gives him a full refund.

And because of the amount of time taken ebay will *not* refund the ebay fees they changed us to sell the item (around a tenner)

So we 'sold' something - paid for postage and have it back now and are £20 down on the deal - Ebay's answer for the fee's side is that you need to agree with the buyer within *7* days of the case being escalated and because he did not respond at all to that they wont give us our fee's back and as far as they are concerned because the buyer didnt get the item he can get his full refund.

The post office's take is that he was not around for the initial delivery and because he failed to arrange re-delivery they just returned it to the sender.

So there you go - if you want to fuck up stuff for someone buy anything on ebay and just dont engage with them at all - just wait - ebay will give you your money back and the seller will lose money - and ebay wont care - they get their cut regardless :-(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 
UltraMod

Selling on eBay is a mug's game these days. I would rather give my unwanted stuff to charity than use that website.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It is a hassle, I agree but I've recently sold a load of Saturn games and made about £150 off them. I'd rather do that then give them to a charity shop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 
Paws for thought

Aye, probably going to be wanting to sell a keyboard soon, after a likely upgrade. Don't want to go via eBay, but don't really know where else to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

For smaller things i'm happy to go with ebay and haven't really had any significant problems.
For larger things that need collection, I still go through ebay, but usually organise to do the transaction outside of ebay. i.e. cash on when the come to look at it and they can take it there and then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think Dave knocked the nail on the head. Where else can you go to sell things?

I recently bought a Wavebird for a friend off eBay but it was in poor condition when it arrived. I emailed the seller offering to send it back and asked for a refund. I even offered to pay the postage to send it back but the guy refused. I thought I was polite but it really wasn't in the condition that he described it.

Anyway, long story cut short. Ebay stepped in and refunded me providing I sent it back. They even sent a prepaid label for me to use.

I can imagine the seller being a bit annoyed at this but what else could I have done?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:41 
Sleepyhead

SilentElk wrote:
Selling on eBay is a mug's game these days. I would rather give my unwanted stuff to charity than use that website.

My sister plundered a load of unwanted stuff from our garage and has this far sold about 600 quid worth. She's only halfway through it.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
I think Dave knocked the nail on the head. Where else can you go to sell things?

Amazon or Craigslist?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:45 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Amazon or Craigslist?

Gumtree is the other one i see mentioned but thats owned by Ebay :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 
Isn't that lovely?

We recently used prelovedto get rid of some stuff, that worked well for us.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Freecycle, of course. Assuming you don't want money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 
UltraMod

I used Amazon Marketplace to get rid of a lot of games stuff I no longer wanted. It takes bigger fees than eBay, but isn't ridiculously biased towards the seller and is quicker to add items if you have a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Amazon or Craigslist?

Amazon I'd agree with but I don't agree that Craigslist has the same reach. I could be wrong, but the guy on the street who's likely to be buying second hand items will always go to eBay first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 

Not so much a tale of woe as it wasn't expensive or owt, but I recently bought a couple of metres of interfacing from eBay (interfacing is like a stiffening support for fabric that you can iron or sew in), not important.

Anyway, I bought it to make a couple of projects with some light fabric.

I bought it from a seller who offered same day shipping first class to arrive the next day as I wanted it in a hurry. After waiting a couple of days I contacted the seller to ask if it had been posted that same day. The seller said they had posted it 'yesterday' (so not same day shipping) but that it had arrived back with them that day because I hadn't given them the right address.

Firstly, I know that Royal Mail do not ship undeliverable items back to the sender the very next day* as it never had chance to travel to one delivery office and back and this usually takes them a couple of weeks to sort out for some reason.

Anyway, after asking for my address again, which I reconfirmed, the seller claimed tat this address was not correct and that they wouldn't re-send the item, and that I shouldn't take it personally. I pointed out the address was correct and sent a her an internet link to the address. Sender still claims the address doesn't exist and that I shouldn't take it personally. I said don't bother, please just refund the money. The seller says no, they will ship to another address, but don't take it personally.

Bored now I send the seller another address. No post the next day, or the next, or the next. Or the next.

Finally a package arrives. It's interfacing! Is it the white interfacing I ordered? No! It's black interfacing in the incorrect weight. Fantastic. Absolutely useless to me.

I contact the seller again. Asking again for a refund, saying if they refund postage I will gladly send the (useless to me) black interfacing back, but please I would now like a refund after waiting a week and a half for something completely incorrect to arrive.

The response is no, they will not send a refund but will send a replacement piece of interfacing in the correct colour. 'Don't take it personally!', they add, because that's more helpful each time.

So, they refused my request for a refund twice, though I frankly want nothing ever to do with this seller.

I left fair but negative feedback mentioning the problems. I then got a message from the seller asking me not to take it personally but would I mind awfully removing the feedback and they'd send me a micro SD card if I did.

I don't want a micro SD card and rather they kept the feedback.

*when I eventually did get something off of them their address labels do not carry a return address, so this was nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 
Excellent Member

I got ripped off on eBay a few years ago after foolishly paying via bank transfer and never received the goods. I reported it to the police. The young WPC that came to investigate asked 'What's eBay?'. :shrug:

The Crumplezone My Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:31 
8-Bit Champion

Mimi wrote:
Not so much a tale of woe as it wasn't expensive or owt,

If its within the last 3 weeks or so you can raise a dispute on ebay which will do a number of things :

1) If you paid by paypal it can totally mess up the sellers paypal for while
2) It will get ebay to send stock letters to both sides
3) Eventually (after about 10 days or so) you'll probably get your money back

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:56 

zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Not so much a tale of woe as it wasn't expensive or owt,

If its within the last 3 weeks or so you can raise a dispute on ebay which will do a number of things :

1) If you paid by paypal it can totally mess up the sellers paypal for while
2) It will get ebay to send stock letters to both sides
3) Eventually (after about 10 days or so) you'll probably get your money back

To be fair it was more the refusal of a refund when I said I'd send the (incorrect) goods back and for the hassle of them refusing to shop elsewhere. I ended up eventually with some white interfacing (as they had refused to refund me) which I would rather have got elsewhere as I really didn't want them to have my custom (and it would have been far quicker).

I'm not out of pocket, though, so I don't want to raise a dispute. I eventually got my interfacing and though I'd rather have shopped elsewhere and had it the next day as described, it wouldn't be right to go any further as I'll now keep this to use.

It was the attitude of the seller (which I wasn't allowed to take personally - I was never quite sure why they kept saying that and wondered if English perhaps was not their first language or they had perhaps had someone take things very personally before) that bothered me, and then the bribe to remove the feedback which was along the lines of 'wouldn't ship to address, took 7 days to arrive, sent wrong item, refused refund'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 14:24 
EvilTrousers

It sounds to me like you've taken it a bit personally Mimi.

Post subject: eBay tales of woe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 14:27 

:DD

I wish there'd been room to leave at the end of the feedback: 'Don't take it personally!'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 18:14 
chewbacca -future arc welder

A current woe for you, and I can't decide what to do about it. I recently ordered some very exciting curtain poles from EBay in a bid to reduce the size of the icicles inside the house this year. Anyway they were reasonably priced and as I spent more than £50 the postage was free, Hurrah!

in fact here they are.

Shortly after I received this:

Quote:
Dear [krazywookie],

Thanks for your order.

It appears that an error occurred within the eBay system at the time your order was placed.

A surcharge fee should have been applied to your order to the sum of £19.99 (instead of the postage fee you were charged).

This price is shown in the listing purchased from and also the postage tab that allows you to check postage to your postcode. You can also contact us direct for a postage quote to surcharge areas.

Please confirm you still require your order so I can send you a paypal request for the remaining amount needed to settle the surcharge fee.

Alternatively, we can cancel the order and issue a full refund.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

We will also be contacting eBay regarding this error so that it is applied correctly in future.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience and understanding

Kindest regards,

eBay Account Manager

Bargain Homeware Limited

I didn't notice the surcharge panel at the bottom of the screen before so I dont know if thats been hastily added.

Should I

a) Pay da man and receive delicious curtains.

b) Complain at da man and try and get him to send me the curtains without paying the shady surcharge.

c) flounce a bit and take my business elsewhere. Bearing in mind that I probably wont get them any cheaper anywhere else anyway, and I am pretty lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 18:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is £70 still a good price?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 19:39 

Pretty sure you can't add stuff to a listing once it's ended, or after it's received bids, without the listing clearly stating what's changed - so I imagine it was always there.

If it stated it on the listing, then provided it's still a good price I'd pay up - it's not their fault if eBay can't calculate fees etc. properly.

However, what the hell is the £19.99 surcharge actually for?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 20:29 

GazChap wrote:
Pretty sure you can't add stuff to a listing once it's ended, or after it's received bids, without the listing clearly stating what's changed - so I imagine it was always there.

If it stated it on the listing, then provided it's still a good price I'd pay up - it's not their fault if eBay can't calculate fees etc. properly.

I think you can add to a multiple Buy It Now listing, but it possibly does that updated information thingy like auctions & one-off BINs.

Surcharge is for being a teuchter :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 20:30 
Gogmagog

I'd offer a tenner for plus five feedback both ways and see how that goes down as it works in both parties' favour then pay the twenty. I would mutter and grumble at them, though, as I suspect you are in the highlands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 20:45 

Wullie wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I think you can add to a multiple Buy It Now listing, but it possibly does that updated information thingy like auctions & one-off BINs.

Surcharge is for being a teuchter :P

Ken ged. I get loads of stuff delivered and nobody ever claims that alyth is the highlands (because it isnt). I suspect this is an overly harsh "highlands and islands" postage charge which never makes it to the courier.

Thanks all for advice, I shall take the pay up then grumble afterwards approach as it is getting rather chilly up in here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 21:26 

So, you bought long curtain poles to knock icicles down with?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 21:34 
baron of techno

krazywookie wrote:
Ken ged. I get loads of stuff delivered and nobody ever claims that alyth is the highlands (because it isnt). I suspect this is an overly harsh "highlands and islands" postage charge which never makes it to the courier.

See if they'll send 'em to my postcode then, I never get the surcharge :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 23:24 

kalmar wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

See if they'll send 'em to my postcode then, I never get the surcharge :)

ooo, is your postcode not on their list?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:20 
Ready for action

Not a tale of woe, just looking for some advice regarding eBay and feedback etiquette. I bought this and when it arrived I tested it. The digital in plug for the optical cable is missing the little flap that covers it and folds in when you plug in the cable. When the flap is folded in it also acts as a sort of gripper on the cable to hold it in place. With it being missing, the cable can fall out or be pulled out with no resistance.
I contacted the seller, who didn't really understand what I meant and said it had been fully tested but told me to send a picture of the problem and they would relist it, "and pay the postage to ship on".
After I'd contacted them I tested the headset properly and found that during play, there was no issue with sound quality and presumably as long as the base unit and xbox don't exert any force on the cable, it will function properly.
I've decided I'm happy to just keep it, but I'm not sure what I should say in the feedback. Should I mention this issue since the item is mean to be refurbished and in excellent condition? If they had tested it by plugging in the optical cable this should have been noticed. Or should I just rate them well since they didn't hesitate to offer the refund?

Attachment:
image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:34 
UltraMod

Neutral feedback I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:39 
Ready for action

Ah, mystery third option, I should have known! i didn't know you could leave neutral feedback.
What's the situation with them leaving me feedback then? Should I expect them to be annoyed at me and respond in kind or will they get into trouble for doing that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:42 
UltraMod

sdg wrote:
Ah, mystery third option, I should have known! i didn't know you could leave neutral feedback.
What's the situation with them leaving me feedback then? Should I expect them to be annoyed at me and respond in kind or will they get into trouble for doing that?

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. Ebay is a mug's game for sellers these days, so I wouldn't worry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:44 
Ready for action

Ah right, that's cool thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Although it isn't what you expected, they seemed kind enough to refund you and sort out the problem.

Personally I'd put positive feedback and just put a note saying something like you had a problem which was quickly sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 15:55 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Although it isn't what you expected, they seemed kind enough to refund you and sort out the problem.

Except they haven't, from what I've read. There's a piece missing but sdg has just decided to keep it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 16:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

SilentElk wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Except they haven't, from what I've read. There's a piece missing but sdg has just decided to keep it anyway.

But that was her choice. It's a borderline one, but I'd just give them positive feedback unless I felt they'd done it on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 16:04 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
But that was her choice.

Yes, but the other option is to faff about sending it back/on to someone else. If they'd send out a complete replacement, that'd be better than keeping a defective item, surely?

They haven't offered that, so I'd go with neutral.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 16:05 
Ready for action

Well that's my problem, they've offered to refund me and then relist it with the problem mentioned and pay me the postage to ship it on to the new seller. So they have been good in that they are happy to refund me.
The seller is listed as being based in New York but the item shipped from Manchester or somewhere like that. When I first contacted them, they said "bit confused a little I was told it tested ok. So is it missing a part or broken thanks"
So to me, they have a 3rd party, refurbishing uk based items that they then advertise and sell. This third party has tested this item and passed it for sale in a refurbished excellent condition. But if they had tested it, they would have noticed immediately this problem because I discovered it as soon as I tried to plug in the optical cable before I'd even powered it on.
The way they are willing to deal with this situation is acceptable, they couldn't really do much more. But their testing/inspection/refurbishment process isn't really up to par and that issue should really be addressed.
Am I taking this too seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 16:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think so yes.

They've done everything they can to resolve the problem with offering the refund, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 17:28 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I think so yes.

They've done everything they can to resolve the problem with offering the refund, no questions asked.

They are asking her to post it onto someone else at the cost of her own time. This would be unacceptable to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 18:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

But she'd have to post it somewhere to get a refund so why not? I'm sure they'd accept it back if she asked so this way seems to make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 19:00 

I would say positive feedback but be a bit stingy with the star rating on "item as described".

The only thing that seems off about this is that the company is asking you to send it on in the hope that the next person to get it either doesn't notice the damage or cant be arsed sending it back. Its not like they're getting you to send it back so they can fix it (unless I misread)...

Post subject: eBay tales of woe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 19:21 
baron of techno

krazywookie wrote:

The only thing that seems off about this is that the company is asking you to send it on in the hope that the next person to get it either doesn't notice the damage or cant be arsed sending it back. Its not like they're getting you to send it back so they can fix it (unless I misread)...

This. Unless they amend the new listing accordingly, it's a bit wide innit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 19:35 
UltraMod

Yes, it's bollocks. I can't believe how happy some of you would be with such shoddy service.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 21:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I bought a couple of games off eBay which the seller described as being in "very good" condition.

If you look past the broken boxes, the tatty manuals, the smell of smoke and the cracks in one of the disks... I guess they are!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 13:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:
I bought a couple of games off eBay which the seller described as being in "very good" condition.

If you look past the broken boxes, the tatty manuals, the smell of smoke and the cracks in one of the disks... I guess they are!

I got a refund off eBay for these games with no bother. I sent them back via recorded delivery but they turned back up at my house yesterday. The guy never collected them from the post office.

Wahoo! Free games!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 
Gogmagog

Quick question:

I bought an item from a seller on ebay, but was unable to pick it up due to MrsA being in hospital. They want to relist it and cancel the transaction. Should I wait until the £25 is back in my paypal?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Quick question:

I bought an item from a seller on ebay, but was unable to pick it up due to MrsA being in hospital. They want to relist it and cancel the transaction. Should I wait until the £25 is back in my paypal?

Dear God, yes.

Or go and get it now, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 13:11 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Quick question:

Dear God, yes.

Or go and get it now, of course.

Thanks.

I said I'd do the cancel request on refund into the paypal account.

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next