Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nooooooo! Mimi TV gone 'pooof'! Stuck in hell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 14:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I solved my TVs stupid 'only one HDMI' input issue with an infa-red HDMI switch and a Logitech universal remote.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 14:11 

I put the money in my bank today. I still haven't decided which one to get (the less expensive or the shiny one) but I will treat myself to one or the other tomorrow. if I have to bribe my brothers to help me carry one back from Argos it's probably going to cost me an extra £20-30 to take them to Pizza Hut, anyway, whereas the shiny one is delivered.

Anyway, I'll work it out :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 14:35 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

You'd be able to carry the Samsung (and anything a similar weight) unless you are a weedy weedy weakling =) The box comes with a handle on top and I carried it with one hand very easily.

The smaller screened CRT it replaced was a heavy bast to get down the stairs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 15:01 

Mimi wrote:
I put the money in my bank today. I still haven't decided which one to get (the less expensive or the shiny one) but I will treat myself to one or the other tomorrow. if I have to bribe my brothers to help me carry one back from Argos it's probably going to cost me an extra £20-30 to take them to Pizza Hut, anyway, whereas the shiny one is delivered.

Anyway, I'll work it out :)

Seriously, you'd be able to carry either.

You could also get Argos to deliver the non-shiney one for about £6 iirc. It might even be free on an order of that size.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 16:25 

Grim... wrote:
a Logitech universal remote.
My Harmony may be the best thing I've ever bought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:44 
Hibernating Druid

Have you got your new telly yet Mimi?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:47 
baron of techno

Telly question: I noticed in Lidl that they've got "camping" satellite receivers! There doesn't appear to be a card slot on the unit, like a sky box, and it says it's for free-to-air channels. What could you expect to pick up with one of these, if anything?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:48 
Hibernating Druid

Camp TV.

Supermarket Sweep, Generation Game and Are you being served.

x

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:58 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
Telly question: I noticed in Lidl that they've got "camping" satellite receivers! There doesn't appear to be a card slot on the unit, like a sky box, and it says it's for free-to-air channels. What could you expect to pick up with one of these, if anything?

Freeview, but with poor reception?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:39 

kalmar wrote:
Free To Air channels from the Astra satellite cluster Sky use. I ran a Sky box with no card in for a few months last time my Freeview box packed in. You can get most of the major channels from Freeview but some stuff is missing. Some channels are Free To View instead and they need a one-off payment card; you can pick these up on any Sky box but this cardless one wouldn't receive them.

There are channel listings here.

The main reason these exist -- and why you see quite a few caravans with Sky dishes on -- is because a lot of camp sites don't have even analog TV reception, let alone Freeview or anything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 14:11 

Zardoz wrote:

No, we've had a bit of sad news and I had to return to Lancaster the day after I got to London so I was going to order it yesterday but ended up travelling back up north instead.

I think I am going to go for the Samsung, though - I may have it delivered to my brother whilst I am away so that he can drop it off in the car once I get back to London, as I won't be going back to London for a little while now and they might well sell out I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 20:25 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

No, we've had a bit of sad news

Sorry to hear that, it doesn't sound too good :(

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 0:59 
Excellent Member

If you're mainly going to be watching freeview, then the quality of the panel used in an LCD may not be the main issue.

A lot of 'true' 1080p HD TVs are fantastic in HD, but rubbish at displaying other resolutions (eg, freeview/analogue TV).

It's worth trying one out in the shop before buying too. I found that some of the more expensive Japanese made LCDs have terrible EPGs/menu systems that make channel hopping and changing source inputs a real pain.

I ended buying a cheapo Bush because I found it had the easiest menu system and a decent freeview picture.

I plan on getting a 'proper' HD tele when there's actually some HD TV content being broadcast...and by then they'll they'll no doubt be a lot better - and cheaper too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:32 

Although of course Meems does have one of those there 360 things...

True enough though, some of the cheap ones seem to have really good scalers for some reason, but the Acoustic Solutions looks very nice in Freeview as does my dad's 23" Samsung. A good scaler will also be a massive benefit to those with the Wii.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 13:49 

Hello.

Today I took delivery of the first step to my televisual viewing pleasure heaven.

I got a Thomson digital Tv recorder set-top tellybox thingamajig from Asda - reduced to £59. It's a Freeview box (mine stopped working after a long and happy life) but it also has a 160gb harddrive, which is plenty for what I want it for (actually, I wasn't specifically looking for one with a hardrive, but this records two channels at once, apparently and everything I want to watch is on at the same time as something else, so that could be mighty handy. Anyhoo, I have set it up and it works great. I hope to order my TV next weekend if all goes to plan.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 15:43 

Yeah, that's a decent little buy if you don't need more than freeview. It won't of course do the hidef freeview chans when they appear but that's no major trauma I'm sure.]

I look forward to the new, improved, sharper defined Mimi.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 17:30 
making out to faces of death

I was just looking through search to find the telly topic, because I'd like to recommend one.

I decided to do a little reverse burglary on my parents yesterday. I saw the nearest Currys had a Sony KDL40V3000 for £800. I think Dixons sell it for £750, and online places for closer to £720. But I wanted one I could take with me. I came home before doing anything to check the specific model was a good one- Sony name things very similarly, so there could be a 40U3000 which isn't half as shiny or something. All the other sets were a lot more expensive than online prices, but the 40V3000 was in the right ballpark. It still sells for £1000 in some places.

It's a 'full' HD set, with a 1900x1080 resolution. It has three HDMI and two scart, and a component and composite. They have cable and freeview, nothing HD, but the TV looked great with even regular programmes- after I found how to change the colour setting from "vivid" to "normal" which cured Bad Tan Syndrome on the people on screen. Honestly, compared to the 28" Bush 4:3 set they had, it looked gert lush.

I had my laptop with me, so of course I had to dig out a DVI-HDMI lead and have a looksie.

The display settings found Sony TV easily, and telling it to span the desktop and not to scale set things right. The only thing I couldn't do was set the TV as primary display- maybe if I had a keyboard plugged in and closed the laptop I could have?

Ooooh.

Here is the full screen- running WoW in the closest possible window size:

And a close up of the text detail- blurriness is my wobbly hand overpowering my camera's image stabilization efforts:

They get back on Tuesday. I hope it will be a nice surprise for them. :munkeh:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 20:48 

They'll probably try and play GTA4 and claim it's too dark. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 21:23 

The end came off of my RF lead cable type thingy when I was getting things all arranged nicely. It was one of those ones that will not screw on but is moulded into one piece. I have spent and hour and a half trying to get it to work, but it won't.

I was all set up to record The Patriot and Brookeback Mountain and now I can't do either and I am going to sob gently into my pillow...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 21:33 

If that was what you were using me to record, I'd have committed suicide too.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 21:33 

Mimi wrote:
The end came off of my RF lead cable type thingy when I was getting things all arranged nicely. It was one of those ones that will not screw on but is moulded into one piece. I have spent and hour and a half trying to get it to work, but it won't.
Does this lead run between the cable and a socket on the wall? If so it's at least cheap and easy to replace. I'd be surprised if they weren't for sale in your nearest Asda for less than £2. If it's just a piece of cable that comes in through the wall from the aerial, it's a bit more awkward I'm afraid. You'll need to buy a new plug bit from Maplins or somewhere similar and fit it. It's not complicated, although it can be a bit fiddly.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 21:36 
Excellent Member

I can vouch for Samsungs, I've got the r71 and it's a superb TV. Doesn't stand up to the 1080P sets nowadays though but those are excellent too.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 22:22 

richardgaywood wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Does this lead run between the cable and a socket on the wall? If so it's at least cheap and easy to replace. I'd be surprised if they weren't for sale in your nearest Asda for less than £2. If it's just a piece of cable that comes in through the wall from the aerial, it's a bit more awkward I'm afraid. You'll need to buy a new plug bit from Maplins or somewhere similar and fit it. It's not complicated, although it can be a bit fiddly.

It's actually the cable that runs from the signal booster (I have an indoor aerial - don't mock, it works perfectly) to the tellyboxfreeviewrecorder. It's a male-to-male cable and will be easy enough to replace, which isn't really a problem, but it is too late to replace it for tonight, which is when two Heath ledger films come on TV simultaneously. I've never seen the Patriot, but I do love Brookeback Mountain so... I am used to replacing the ends of aerial cables - my stepdad was an electrician and used to get me to do them all of the time because I had steady, patient hands, but the cable that has broken has only got moulded ends, rather than one that I can split the cable down and fix on in three parts. They actually sell ends for these cables in little 'handy packs' at my local newsagents, but they only have the female ends in stock, so I will have to wait until tomorrow and pick me up a new cable then and just get DVDs, or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 22:30 

I use an indoor aerial too, Crystal Palace is an ace transmitter.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 22:38 

Ah yes, it's Crystal Palace that mine picks up. I have to have it secured down though, as an inch out of the 'magic spot' either way and I can't get ITV (no loss) nor Channel 4. I'm being a snob, but ITV is crap. I could get BBC if the aerial was dropped down a mine in a lead box, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 22:56 

C5's multiplex is usually the tricky one.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 23:06 
making out to faces of death

Dudley wrote:
They'll probably try and play GTA4 and claim it's too dark. ;)

heh. My parents don't do gizmos at all really. Well, my dad got a DVD recorder about two years ago with the vague notion of putting camcorder tapes onto DVD and stuff. It never got used at all. They recently had a VCR fail (one they bought 11 months ago) and I suggested that given they have two other VCRs and a DVD recorder already, maybe it was time to get a HDD recorder. So they got one, but it had a broken flap, being a crappy Argos brand thing (Wharfedale) so I convinced him to get this Sony thing, on the grounds that it may cost more, but at least it'll bloody work.

That's been a great success- dad is addicted to GuidePlus recording now. And feeling a little bad for getting my dad to spend money, and knowing my mum quite liked the idea of a new telly, I hatched my plan.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 23:07 

Channel 5 has a great reception for me - which is great for early morning Pocoyo!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 23:50 
Best
Board Mother

If I'd seen this earlier I would have recorded them for you! I've just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time and am recording the second film now because I've never seen it but it's really bed time.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Mimi wrote:
Channel 5 has a great reception for me - which is great for early morning Pocoyo!

I hate Pocoyo. It's too fast; it feels like having amphetamine-riddled Sunny Delight poured into my eyes. My bestest friend is really into it, but then she runs a cheerleading squad and likes all that trumpet punk nonsense.

I did like the episode where the duck refused to have a bath, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:48 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
If I'd seen this earlier I would have recorded them for you! I've just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time and am recording the second film now because I've never seen it but it's really bed time.

BBM2, Brokier, Backier, Mountainer.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:50 
lazy eye patch

Dudley wrote:
BBM2, Brokier, Backier, Mountainer.

"The Broke is Back"?
"I'm gonna quit you - and this time, it's personal."

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 

Aw, thanks for the thought, anyway, GJ, but I wouldn't have had a video machine to play it on. I'll let you into a secret... I have brookeback Mountain on DVD. Yes, I do. But there I something about watching a movie on TV. I am less likely to watch it on TV because if it is on DVD I think, well, I am a bit tired, I can watch it anytime, and never do, but if it is on TV I think 'it's on, must watch it now or miss it' so I make the time. Brokeback Mountain can beak our heart, it is so lovely, I have never seen The Patriot, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 

But you were going to record it off TV, so you WEREN'T making the time!

I'm so confused!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 
Sleepyhead

I think that tomorrow I might just go into the Richer Sounds on my way home from work, throw them something in the region of 300-400 quid and let them give me whatever I can get for that money.

Or are they shysters that I should avoid?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 

Oh, no - I was going to watch one (and record it, too) and record the other at the same time, but I was all mentally ready with my big fluffy blanket and warm cuddly clothes and some hot chocolate to enjoy the movie when Brokeback Mountain came on TV.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 

Curiosity wrote:
I think that tomorrow I might just go into the Richer Sounds on my way home from work, throw them something in the region of 300-400 quid and let them give me whatever I can get for that money.

There is no possible way letting a person either on commission or worse, on minimum wage, tell you how to make a major purpose could possibly go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 
Sleepyhead

Dudley wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

There is no possible way letting a person either on commission or worse, on minimum wage, tell you how to make a major purpose could possibly go wrong.

Jolly good... sold!

[I will probably just wander in, see what looks nice for my price range, and buy it. I should have phrased the question more along the lines of, 'A friend said that Richer Sounds are decent enough on price... does anyone agree/disagree?']

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 

For a retail shop maybe, but assuming you mean a TV (you haven't actually said), there will be many better, cheaper options than "something that looked ok in RS".

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:55 
Sleepyhead

Dudley wrote:
For a retail shop maybe, but assuming you mean a TV (you haven't actually said), there will be many better, cheaper options than "something that looked ok in RS".

I did say, but it was aaaaages ago.

:)

Yeah, looking to buy a TV, probably of the 32 inch HD variety.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 

Then you'll need a lot more than £300 in a store I suspect.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:11 

I bought a TV from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago. I'd like to think that I'd researched it and it was the best place for me to go without buying online (my old TV died, so I didn't really want to hang around).
The sales people are usually pretty helpful (although I agree this is an unusual situation, so they might be completely different in your store) and I don't think I've left there with something I didn't really want. You might be better off having a look on their website, so you have an idea of what you want before you get there and you should be ok.

Edit - Does the "there's been some more posts since you clicked post reply" thing not work anymore, or is it just me?

Edit again -

Their 32" tvs seem to start at £350 for a JVC/Philips model and they've got some Samsung ones for £400.
I just remembered that they'll price-match their website, so that's another good reason to have a look before you go.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:16 

You need to use the full reply not quick reply.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 

I'd go cruise HUKD for TV deals, as much as most of the posters there are objectionable they are generally very good about sniffing out bargains. I agree with other posters, although I've had a good experience buying hifi from them in the half dozen times I've been in there, I wouldn't get a TV from them.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 

Dudley wrote:
You need to use the full reply not quick reply.

Ah, that would explain it, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 
Sleepyhead

Dudley wrote:

This JVC one is 350 on the web.

Cheapest option

Or a Samsung for 400 HERE

Is it worth buying the more expensive one? I'm going to be using it pretty much exclusively for playing 360 games on it in my spare room.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 

Looks like I couldn't read properly earlier as the £350 Philips one is only 26", but there is a Philips and another Samsung both for £400.

As for which one you should go for, I dunno. I think Samsung's are pretty highly regarded, and they both have a VGA input (at least according to the specs on the site, you might want to double check), which may be useful for your 360, they all have component/HDMI and if it's the only thing you're going to plug in then you don't really need to worry.
None of them do proper 1080p, but most 360 games are 720p anyway, so I don't think that should be a problem.
Might be worth going along and taking a look, depending on the size of the store they usually have all the tvs on, and they'll hopefully be showing something in HD so you'll get an idea of what your 360 will look like.

It might be worth googling the model numbers to see if anyone has anything good/bad to say about them.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:28 

Curiosity wrote:
Dudley wrote:

This JVC one is 350 on the web.

Cheapest option

Or a Samsung for 400 HERE

Is it worth buying the more expensive one? I'm going to be using it pretty much exclusively for playing 360 games on it in my spare room.

I would always recommend a Samsung, my dad's is the 23" version of that exact TV and it's very very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:51 

Does the Samsung = good apply to monitors as well?
I'm quite tempted to pick one of these, but I was wondering if any of you had any opinions. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:53 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Both my Samsung monitor and HDTV are aces.

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next