Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xcom UFO Defence
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 16:17 
Gogmagog

"Skyrockets off the top of my head" is the name of my Amy Winehouse coverband.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sdg wrote:
Oh and on the subject of naming game characters, I haven't returned to the Sims 3 despite loving it because the Sims named after my girlfriend and I reached old age and I couldn't bear to have them die.

You can turn the ageing off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 13:42 

Some interesting original concept art for the aliens from UFO: Enemy Unknown. I particularly like Robocop, the Easter Bunny and what looks like a DMA Design Lemming (highlighted in green). Interesting to see what looks like a pregnant Muton and the original colour scheme for the Floater, too (both highlighted in yellow.)

Taken from Julian Gollop's retrospective look at the original X-COM from GDC2013.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 
Excellent Member

I finally got this and i'm sort of miffed about some design decisions and how difficulty works in general.

I was playing a normal difficulty ironman game and it was being a cakewalk until the first alien base mission. Maybe i went to early, but my squad was wiped out. After that i tried to build another experienced roster before i tackle this mission and when i tried again, not only was the level layout completely different as was the aliens in it. There was no chance for soldiers against those red muttons.

Even though i agree that the difficulty should be increasing throughout the game, it makes no sense that a level 2 difficulty abduction mission in the mid game is harder than a level 2 abduction mission in the early games. It makes mission failures almost unrecoverable.

It's also annoying that there's no free shot and there's no way to hit more than one enemy with regular weapons or hitting another enemy after missing the one we're aiming at.

The game also doesn't have much flexibility. I suppose that in classic mode there's only one way to do base progression things if we want to win the game.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 
Sleepyhead

The best thing to do is not put all your eggs in one basket. I had several missions where I got my whole squad wiped out, or just one escaped, but it didn't derail my game. Make sure that once you have some strong soldiers, don't send them all out on the same mission. Send a mix of elite and rookies, and eventually you'll find that you have loads of at least passable soldiers, along with some absolute stars.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 

RuySan wrote:
I finally got this and i'm sort of miffed about some design decisions and how difficulty works in general.

I was playing a normal difficulty ironman game and it was being a cakewalk until the first alien base mission. Maybe i went to early, but my squad was wiped out. After that i tried to build another experienced roster before i tackle this mission and when i tried again, not only was the level layout completely different as was the aliens in it. There was no chance for soldiers against those red muttons.

Even though i agree that the difficulty should be increasing throughout the game, it makes no sense that a level 2 difficulty abduction mission in the mid game is harder than a level 2 abduction mission in the early games. It makes mission failures almost unrecoverable.

It's also annoying that there's no free shot and there's no way to hit more than one enemy with regular weapons or hitting another enemy after missing the one we're aiming at.

The game also doesn't have much flexibility. I suppose that in classic mode there's only one way to do base progression things if we want to win the game.

I imagine you're trying to play the game as if it were old X-COM. I did the same.

It's a very different beast, and you need to use proper tactics rather than the old style of playing. Never dash into undiscovered ground, always move slowly and surely. If you spot anything, fall back - make the aliens come to you as that expends their movement points and also gives you a chance of reaction fire.

Half-cover is basically useless, if you're in full cover then you're fine - if half-cover you should hunker down before the end of the turn.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 
Excellent Member

Thanks for the tips. But I'm not really convinced about this design decision about scouting the area until you trigger their appearance. And I'm also really tired of the short cut-scenes associated with it.

This game also made me want to replay UFO (also to try this version http://openxcom.org/) , Terror from the Deep and Silent Storm.

But not Jagged Alliance 2 no. That is shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 13:39 

OpenXcom is glorious, I've been waiting for it since forever and they've beaten Xenonauts to release. True, they didn't have any art assets to do or anything, but even so...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 15:14 

Is tehre any advantage to OpenXCom over just playing the original on Steam?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 15:33 

All the old Xcom bugs are fixed, there's loads of new tweaks and things (for example, when you're placing a base, you get a nifty overlay on the Geoscape that shows you how far each type of radar will scan from the location you're pointing at.)

It's Xcom, but better. The only negative is that it's unlikely that they've replicated the AI exactly as it was in the original, but to be fair the AI in the original wasn't brilliant anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 16:32 

GazChap wrote:
All the old Xcom bugs are fixed, there's loads of new tweaks and things (for example, when you're placing a base, you get a nifty overlay on the Geoscape that shows you how far each type of radar will scan from the location you're pointing at.)

It's Xcom, but better. The only negative is that it's unlikely that they've replicated the AI exactly as it was in the original, but to be fair the AI in the original wasn't brilliant anyway.

I shall have to give it a go when I get home then. But first! I shall learn to type!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 22:38 
Bad Girl

I like this turn based pew pew but no likey the waffle in between. Also, I don't really know what I should be doing between missions because I keep skipping the waffle.

Gamers are stupid.

Waffle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 22:45 
Bad Girl

The woman is getting pissed off that I'm blowing up aliens. Maybe she wants me to reason with them but I can't see an option for that.

*Researches cheesecake*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 22:56 
Hello Hello Hello

IIRC she just wants you to not blow them up with grenades and suchlike, because then there are no remains to research.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 23:17 
Sleepyhead

I think she also wants you to capture one alive, after stunning them with a stun stick or a stun bomb.

Stun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 23:30 
Bad Girl

Bring an alien home to momma? She's already thinks I'm a disappointment to her; this'll tip her over the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 23:45 
Bad Girl

She's a xenophobe, y'see. Geddit? Geddit?

No wonder I don't get any pot-wuh's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 22:21 
Bad Girl

I've captured a big 'ead alien! Now that woman wants an even bigger one. For goodness sake, I had enough trouble with the little geezer.

Good this though, init?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 22:41 
Bad Girl

Fack me. 2 dead.

These lucky git kills are massively frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 22:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Fack me. 2 dead.

These lucky git kills are massively frustrating.

Don't play Ironman mode and save regularly would be my advice, and don't be afraid to return to a save if you get some bullshit bad luck on the RNG when two 96% shots (THAT YOU WERE RELYING ON AT LEAST ONE OF HITTING) miss their target in disastrous form.

I also applied the same rules to the aliens getting ridiculously good luck sometimes, it just detracts from the game IMO.

Enjoy the journey and the tactics, defeat the RNG with saving and loading - depends how much time you want to sink into it though I suppose, for me doing it 'properly' would have meant crossing the time spent vs reward gained threshold, I just wanted to enjoy the game and not worry too much about the dice rolling simulator aspect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 
Participant in dramatic games

is he ios version release by now?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

romanista wrote:
is he ios version release by now?

Yes its out and it works pretty well

http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/26/rev ... m-for-ios/

I've had a few odd crashes at times but it does have a reasonable save system so i'd suggest just saving often

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcom-en ... 44885?mt=8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 

nice, but 18 euros.. on the appshopper it goes :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 
Hello Hello Hello

romanista wrote:

By all accounts it's the full-fat game though with just a couple of small compromises, against that backdrop it doesn't seem overly expensive to me TBH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
romanista wrote:

By all accounts it's the full-fat game though with just a couple of small compromises, against that backdrop it doesn't seem overly expensive to me TBH.

It is (I think I paid £11.99 for it) - however its the same game that was selling for £45 at release on consoles and PC.

Yes I know its down to about a tenner in the Steam Sale but for some of these games you do need to realize that your going to pay a 'premium' to get a premium product (and that premium for a top rated well converted game is £12 which is hardly the same as the £45 you'll drop on a new console game)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 21:18 

i guess, but i'm not really sure i'm going to play 18euros worth of it.. since i played it before... i wasn't saying i can't appreciate its value, justni was kinda surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 23:21 
Hello Hello Hello

romanista wrote:
i guess, but i'm not really sure i'm going to play 18euros worth of it.. since i played it before... i wasn't saying i can't appreciate its value, justni was kinda surprised

I suppose it's down to whether or not mobile games can break through the wall of people thinking they're buying 'proper' games or not, and as such are prepared to pay a 'proper' price for them.

I can't imagine there's much future in developing (or even porting) AAA titles for mobile platforms if folks never get past the 'I'm not paying more than a pound' mental block.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can't imagine there's much future in developing (or even porting) AAA titles for mobile platforms if folks never get past the 'I'm not paying more than a pound' mental block.

Good.

I agree with those guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

Good.

I agree with those guys.

Yes. me, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 

Are they saying that 40 shitty games are better than one good one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:45 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm ambivalent since I don't do mobile gaming these days anyway, (my One X has Flick Golf on it, which I never play, and that's it), but certainly back when I was a bit more into it (when I had an iPhone 3G) I didn't want to play 'big' games on it at all, just seemed completely at odds with the platform.

What you have to remember though is that for an increasing number of people, their smartphone and even moreso their tablet is actually their 'computer' now (I can think of several people I know who have an iPad and nothing else, or who never turn their laptop/PC on since they got an iPad), and for these folks it's potentially a shame if there's no market for 'proper' games like X-Com on there - although that's assuming they'd want to play them, which they might not I suppose.

Frankly I have no idea what my fucking point is there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 

If I had an iPad that could run it (I haven't checked, but I'm assuming it won't work on the original iPad) - I'd be extremely tempted to buy, even at that price. Sat on the sofa with the iPad seems like almost the perfect way to play something like XCom.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:

No, they're that 40 $1 games are likely to provide more fun than one $40 one. And I quite agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 
8-Bit Champion

Zio wrote:
If I had an iPad that could run it (I haven't checked, but I'm assuming it won't work on the original iPad)

Correct - Ipad 2 or better , it doesnt quite have the mobile games 'pick up and play 5 minutes' but if you have 30 minutes or so then the interface works really well (its all selecting where you want to go / what you want to do / actions so no hassle with a virtual stick) and its pretty close to the full console experience on mobile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I spent an hour playing Frozen Synapse last night on my tablet - once you get the hang of it it worked pretty well, although the zooming was a bit "eager".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

No, they're that 40 $1 games are likely to provide more fun than one $40 one. And I quite agree.

Disagree.

Dark Souls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 

The argument of guy #2 ("a lot of these games are garbage") only works under the assumption that no $40 games are garbage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:09 

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Hmm, really not sure about that. As evidenced by the fact that I don't spend any time playing £1 iOS games. But then they're comparing them to 3DS games and I don't play those either, because I don't have a 3DS. If I had a Vita though I'd probably use that a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
Also, the argument of guy #2 ("a lot of these games are garbage") only works under the assumption that no $40 games are garbage.

No, it only works if the ratio of good games/shit games comes down massively on the bad side for mobile games when compared to console games. Which, well, it absolutely does. Obviously you can pick specific examples on both sides to make almost any argument you want but is anyone really disagreeing with the idea that the vast majority of mobile games are terrible crap designed to try and cash in? Especially when you factor in the horrendous swing towards F2P that's currently going on there.

Note that I'm not saying there aren't good high-quality mobile games to be had, I spend enough time playing Android games to know that's nonsense and obviously iOS gets generally better stuff again, but the barrier to entry is so much lower that there's massive amounts of shovelware to be waded through to get to the good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 

They are talking specifically about the 3DS, though. Which as I understand it has it's share of shovelware shite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 
Sleepyhead

I don't think I would pay 40 quid for a mobile game. There are loads of very good cheap/free ones, and if I want a big experience game to spend 40 quid and many consecutive hours on, I would want to do it on a proper screen and not a handheld.

As long as the user is discerning, I'd imagine the vast majority of people would get more value from 40 iOS games over 1 3DS game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
They are talking specifically about the 3DS, though. Which as I understand it has it's share of shovelware shite

Isn't the 3DS' real 'problem' that it doesn't have many games full stop? Certainly not enough to have the sheer deluge of pish that's available for the mobile phone platforms. I take your point though that I'm misinterpreting Penny Arcade's argument by making a comparison to 'proper' console games rather than the 3DS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 

markg wrote:
If I had a Vita though I'd probably use that a bit.

I have a Vita and I really like it, but so far I've played sub-£10 indie games, which I really think is where it shines.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
If I had a Vita though I'd probably use that a bit.

I have a Vita and I really like it, but so far I've played sub-£10 indie games, which I really think is where it shines.

Gravity Rush and Uncharted are excellent though, and both available via PS+.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 
UltraMod

The most I've spent on a Vita game is £23 and that was for MLB 13 The Show, which is pretty much identical to its PS3 cousin. Are 3DS games really that expensive?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:49 

I think I played the full £30 for both Gravity Rush and the Metal Gear Solid compilation on their respective day of releases. One is now free on PS+ and the other I've not touched since.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 13:29 

I need to free up room on my (paltry) 8 GB card for Gravity Rush. I think I'll bin off LittleBigPlanet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 13:31 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I need to free up room on my (paltry) 8 GB card for Gravity Rush. I think I'll bin off LittleBigPlanet.

I ran out of room on my 32GB card last week. I've only bought two games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 13:51 

There's a gameplay trailer for The Bureau - XCOM Declassified over at Eurogamer today.

What do we all think? I'm actually really interested in the idea of an XCOM strategy game with a 50's B-movie/Roswell Incident vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 16:40 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

New DLC for PC / New game for Consoles out on November 15th.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... -november/

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next