Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:42 
Excellent Member

Brave is weirdly named but so far seems like a really good Android browser with adblocking baked right in. It's Chromium based so is basically Chrome and thus instantly a million times better than the actual Adblock browser which a Firefox fork and thus just as shitty. Seriously, fuck Firefox for Android; it's mind bogglingly awful. Anyway, try Brave, it's pretty cool:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ve.browser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 
Excellent Member

Just as a quick follow up on that last post, Brave has now replaced Chrome for me on all my devices because the adblocking does exactly what you'd want and, in every other way I can find, it works exactly like Chrome. I suppose it would be worth browsing a list of what exact enhancements Google add to the Chromium base to see if there's anything in there you couldn't do without but I don't actually know if such a list is available anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:06 
SavyGamer

Shame it won't do bookmark and history syncing with Chrome. Unless I missed something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Shame it won't do bookmark and history syncing with Chrome. Unless I missed something.

No, you're right, and I was just coming back to point that out after doing some poking around. Google have locked all third party browsers out of syncing that stuff so it's something you would indeed need to live without. I don't use that stuff really so it's not a deal breaker for me. Apparently Brave are working on their own sync solution which is in beta on the desktop version of the browser but no date announced yet for the mobile side of things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 
Hello Hello Hello

I got given an Android J5 '2016' phone a few weeks ago. I didn't want it but apparently I need to be able to get work emails ON THE MOVE and be able to access certain corporate resources when I'm ON THE MOVE and stuff like that. Since I'm on the on-call rota and get paid for it I couldn't really say no.

(The official line is that whilst the phones are locked down to an extent (Airwatch and some other thing) and have corporate policies applied to them and suchlike, we're allowed/encouraged to use them as 'personal' devices too so you can have Facebook and apps from the Play Store and games on them and all that shit, change the home screen to what you want (I put the Google Now launcher on there), there's a generous monthly data allowance, plus they auto-connect to the corporate wifi in any of our buildings - but usage policies still apply to them and I don't want to have to worry about Googling 'anal gaping' on a night out because someone asked what it was - hence my preference remains to have my own device on my own contract that I pay for.)

Anyway, it's very much a budget Android device (£180-£200), but you know what, in actual use I'm seriously hard pushed to tell any real difference between it and my S7. In particular screen resolution on mobiles is a total con, the J5 has a 720p screen, my S7 has a 1440p screen - to my eyes they look fucking identical except the screen on the J5 doesn't drain the battery like a bastard because it's not driving so many fucking pointless invisible pixels. (Actually, the last update to the S7 quietly defaulted the screen to 1080p, you have to manually choose 1440p, which is effectively an admittance that the resolution wars on mobiles are a total nonsense.)

Anyway, if you're after a solid Android phone for less than than £200, get a Samsung J5 '2016' edition, it's very much like an S7 but a lot cheaper.

No wireless charging though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

For my upgrade this time round i went in with a hard price limit of £17 pm because that's what my mate pays and he's got a Moto that i liked when i played with it. Came away with a LG K8 2016 on a reasonable contract for £17 pm (£120 handset) and i certainly couldn't tell you the difference between this and a fancy bastard phone bar finger print unlock. And there's no wireless charging. Oh and a 32 giggle SD as the internal memory is pants.£15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 23:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have a 2012 nexus 7 that is beginning to show its age, it is very slow and freezes a lot, so am looking at potential replacements.

The amazon fire 7 is currently 35£, but it has a 1.3 ghz processor and 1Gb ram. The same as the nexus.

Is there actually anything better about the fire than the 5 year old nexus?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 22:45 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 
Hello Hello Hello

The only person I know who's got one is my father-in-law, who wanted a cheap tablet for when my mother-in-law refuses to relinquish the iPad and there's nothing on telly he wants to watch.

I can ask him what he thinks of it, but can't promise the most amazing of technical appraisals. However, I can only assume it works reasonably well or I'd have had the technical support calls* already.

* Wireless printers, I'm looking at you. And a wireless Now TV box, and wireless things in general, really.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 
Unpossible!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/amazon-fire-review

2016 review of the Fire 7. Not a glowing review by any means. Bare in mind that the Fire can't access the Google App Store.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 
Prince of Fops

I'm surprised Hearthly hasn't chimed in with his Nvidia Shield shenanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have an nVidia Shield. I can't quite get over how good it is for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
I have an nVidia Shield. I can't quite get over how good it is for the money.

:this:

They're £170 now so a bit more expensive than when I got mine (£150), but I'd still 100% recommend them.

Really well supported by Nvidia as well, with regular patch style updates, and got the full Nougat update in a timely manner as well.

TBH I'd be inclined to drop the 'for the money' qualifier, it's just a really good tablet full stop, the low price is simply the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 13:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think I paid around £120 for mine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:17 
Isn't that lovely?

Has anyone else noticed that their phone is no longer converting lowercase i to uppercase I on their phones mid-sentence? Mine seems to have stopped doing this in the last week or so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't think i have.

Well, the we are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Works if I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:26 
Unpossible!

Malc wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that their phone is no longer converting lowercase i to uppercase I on their phones mid-sentence? Mine seems to have stopped doing this in the last week or so.

Now that you mention it, i have noticed that happening recently. Sort it out, Gaywood!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:58 
Comfortably Dumb

Malc wrote:

I've noticed this too. Wasn't sure if it was limited to WhatsApp or everything using the keyboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:09 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
Malc wrote:

I've noticed this too. Wasn't sure if it was limited to WhatsApp or everything using the keyboard

It's everything. A quick Google shows people have been moaning about it since the start of the month.

ETA: also, apparently it can be temporarily fixed by clearing cache/date for the Gboard app but the issue will come back at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:28 
Best
Board Mother

I noticed this, but just assumed it was something stupid that I had done! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 
SavyGamer

Yep it's happening for me too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 20:19 
Excellent Member

It's kind of ridiculous it's still happening given how utterly trivial it must be to handle properly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 17:44 
Excellent Member

I got the option of switching to the new shiny Pixel launcher on my tablet so i gave it a shot. I didn't like it much so switched back to the normal Google launcher but the icons and the 'control' buttons (the back, home and task switcher buttons) have all stayed in the new style. I'm not all that bothered but it's a weird that it's mixing and matching aspects from the two launchers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 
Excellent Member

So the Pixel phones apparently have a feature such that swiping up/down on the fingerprint sensor will raise/lower the notifications bar and as per version 7.1.2 that feature's been added to the Nexus 5X/6P handsets. I wasn't aware of this and it's actually quite cool so thought I'd mention it here for any other Nexus owners.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Oh yes... this reminds me. I had a play with a pixel phone the other day and yes, this feature was on there. Very clever.

It also wins the award for the hottest I've EVER felt a phone go after about 20 minutes of VR stuff. Seriously, it was difficult to hold it was that hot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 13:51 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
It also wins the award for the hottest I've EVER felt a phone go after about 20 minutes of VR stuff. Seriously, it was difficult to hold it was that hot!

The Google Daydream stuff is pretty brutal on the C/GPU apparently; although can run it on a Nexus 6P (the precursor to the Pixel) apparently after a few minutes it just starts to die under the thermal load generated from trying to keep up so I'm not surprised it generates a lot of heat even on the Pixel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 16:20 
EvilTrousers

TheVision wrote:
Oh yes... this reminds me. I had a play with a pixel phone the other day and yes, this feature was on there. Very clever.

The S7 gets pretty hot although it does depend on the app. Like a massive nerd I watched Netflix in full on VR mode for an hour last weekend and it only ever got mildly warm.

20 minutes playing something like Gunjack makes for a surface you could easy fry an egg on - it has flunked out and dumped me to the home screen thanks to the heat before now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 

Weird phone issue.

My phone keeps dropping off wifi, and when it is connected it is really slow, except immediately after switching it on.

I was d/l a podcast last night, after 30 minutes, it was 30% @2kb/s through, so I restarted, and it shot through to 80% at ~500kb/s then dropped down to 2kb/s again. a restart and it jumped back up and completed the d/l.

Websites fail to load due to timing out, and only half load, and frankly it is annoying. However, evyerthing else works on the wifi, and the phone works on 4g fine.

Anyone have a clue other than full factory reset?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 
Excellent Member

There's a wifi option under the Advanced section for 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep'; maybe try enabling that if it isn't already?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 
Comfortably Dumb

Bobbyaro wrote:
Weird phone issue.

My phone keeps dropping off wifi, and when it is connected it is really slow, except immediately after switching it on.

I was d/l a podcast last night, after 30 minutes, it was 30% @2kb/s through, so I restarted, and it shot through to 80% at ~500kb/s then dropped down to 2kb/s again. a restart and it jumped back up and completed the d/l.

Websites fail to load due to timing out, and only half load, and frankly it is annoying. However, evyerthing else works on the wifi, and the phone works on 4g fine.

Anyone have a clue other than full factory reset?

Does it do it on all wi-fi connections? Just to rule out a home router issue for instance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 

Sadly, it is already set to 'on'. Thanks, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 14:07 
Paws for thought

Try rebooting the router? (I've had this a fair bit with netgear/rebranded netgear stuff)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 16:08 

Good point, I shall try that. thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 

Beex! Recommended me a new phone!

I currently have a two year old Xperia Z2, and I'm on a sim only contract, so will be looking to buy something outright, ideally in the £300 sort of area, but maybe a bit more if necessary (research suggests I probably will be).

High points of the Z2 are battery and camera, so I've been concentrating on those areas. I've got a shortlist, but there's something niggling about most of them and I'm open to other suggestions.

Go!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 
Hello Hello Hello

The OnePlus 3T comes in at £399 (thanks Brexit!) and is pretty much a premium high-end smartphone for less cash than they usually cost in that bracket. (Galaxy S8 will be coming in at £689 (!!), for example.)

Other than that there's basically just a big 'mush' in the £200-£300 range so pick the colour that you like the most, or something.

Or read round-ups like this, I suppose - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... 7-3627209/

I've got a Samsung J5 '6' as my work phone which is largely the same as my S7 in day-to-day use, despite costing about a third as much.

viewtopic.php?p=946632#p946632

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think a OnePlus 3T is going to be my next phone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 
Can you dig it?

What about signing up for a 24 month contract for an iphone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 
Excellent Member

The Nexus 5X and 6P have the same really good camera in them so if you can source once of those they might be a shout? They should certainly be in the right price range by now, having been superceded by the Pixel phones back in September, and my 6P continues to be the best phone I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 
Unpossible!

I like the look of the new Nokia 8

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-p ... ip-android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 

I'm slightly disappointed that my LG K8 can't mount apps on the SD card, it means i have limited space and generally if i want a new app i have to kill one off. Otherwise it's one of the better phones I've had. I think you're supposed to be able to root it which means apps can go on SD and also you can delete the bloat but i cant figure out how :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 
Unpossible!

No wait, it was Nokia 6 that I liked

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 

I'd have been all over an android Nokia if I'd known they existed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
my 6P continues to be the best phone I've ever owned.

Really? Mine's deteriorating really fast. The battery life is half what it was, and it just restarts occasionally (say, once per fortnight).

It's still a great phone, but for the fucking stupendous amount it cost it really should be rock solid for at least three years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 
Unpossible!

My rapidly deteriorating 5X is well documented in this thread. Shame. I really liked that phone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 
UltraMod

My iPhone 6 Plus barely lasted two years before the battery started dying. Premium smartphones are a fucking rip off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Really? Mine's deteriorating really fast. The battery life is half what it was, and it just restarts occasionally (say, once per fortnight).

I haven't noticed much change in the battery life, though my use of Pokemon Go makes it difficult to know how well it should be managing. I haven't noticed it spontaneously restarting either, though I can't imagine I'd give a shit if it only happened once every two weeks.

Grim... wrote:
It's still a great phone, but for the fucking stupendous amount it cost it really should be rock solid for at least three years.

You and I apparently have different standard for 'fucking stupendous amount'; £550 for a 64GB model is slightly less than I paid for my two previous phones I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 
Can you dig it?

DavPaz wrote:
My rapidly deteriorating 5X is well documented in this thread. Shame. I really liked that phone

I'm still quite happy with mine, but the battery life really is bad, so much that I actually worry about it going flat if I'm out all day and evening. It also has a couple of annoying bugs, sometimes it'll just conk out, fully unresponsive unless I reset it using the magic 30 secs of holding power+vol down. If that happened while I was really needing the phone it'd be a real pisser.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I too like the looks of that Nokia 6.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 
Comfortably Dumb

The Exploding Kittens android app is 10p at the moment. I know this was a popular Kickstarter thing run by the guy behind The Oatmeal site, so I've bought the app despite it being a multiplayer card game thing and I don't really do multiplayer.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 133  Next