Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 13:36 
EvilTrousers

Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Does it think you've got some headphones plugged in?

Doesn't seem to be just because when I plug headphones in the notification comes up to say they are plugged in so it's not thinking they are constantly in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 22:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Nvidia Shield update for anyone who cares. Yes, I know, no one.

Anyway it's really good, I do now have a proper metric on battery life and it'll do over four hours running a snazzy 3D game like Summoners War, so I'd expect less intensive tasks to see that life extended out somewhat. (From memory Mrs Hearthly's iPad Air could manage about 4.5 hours running Hearthstone, so not bad for a £150 tablet to pretty much match that. I did spend that long playing Hearthstone at a stretch on the Air in the wake of VASECTOMYMAGEDDON earlier this year.)

I've downloaded a load of other games to the Shield as well, mostly stuff that I've bought in the past and therefore could snag again for free, but also a really good tower defence game called ANOMALY 2 which looks ridiculously pretty for a mobile game.

I was slightly concerned that the 8 inch widescreen format would compare unfavourably with a standard tablet aspect ratio and/or be too small, but very quickly got accustomed to it.

I appreciate that everyone's free to choose what tablets they buy and for how much, so for those who are comfortable with those £300-£400 (or more!) price points then fair enough. Personally though I'm loving the fact that a £150 tablet essentially delivers an identical user experience to a £400 iPad Air, and am looking at other Android tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy S2 which costs £320, and failing to see the point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:42 
EvilTrousers

Trousers wrote:
Does it think you've got some headphones plugged in?

Doesn't seem to be just because when I plug headphones in the notification comes up to say they are plugged in so it's not thinking they are constantly in.

So I did nothing to it at all and now it works. Or maybe plugging the headphones in to check made it realise there weren't any headphones in. Because logic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We did it, Beex!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 
Unpossible!

Woop! We rule:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 
Isn't that lovely?

DavPaz wrote:
Woop! Wee rule:

Wee Papa rule the dance?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This is "pure" doze mode on my Nexus 6. I took it off charge at about 10pm and immediately put it on my bedside table, then took this screenshot as soon as I picked it up this morning. So it's done nothing but doze. It loses about 1% per hour.

As a vaguely related test I rebooted my Nexus 5 before going to bed last night, which is probably similar to doze mode in that it'll stop any shit that's running in the background and no processes other than those which start automatically will be running after the reboot.

In 9 hours overnight it went from 100% to 98%.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:11 
Excellent Member

I got a replacement Pixel C (and Googles customer service in that respect was unimpeachable; they shipped the new tablet out as soon as I complained and without even waiting for the old one to come back) and it continues to be a beautiful thing. The screen isn't technically much higher resolution than the N9 but something about it is just much nicer to look at. And the build quality continues to be the sort of thing that makes everyone who touches it exclaim how nice it feels. Yeah, I'm well happy with this. Something I never felt about the Nexus 9.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 14:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not tempted by the keyboard?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 16:42 
Hello Hello Hello

viewtopic.php?p=884527#p884527

And then something about fridge magnets.

Also, ONE HUNDRED POUNDS FOR A TABLET KEYBOARD? That's like, 66% of the cost of my entire tablet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 17:00 
Esoteric

Blimey, some one actually bought an Nvidia shield

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 17:02 
Hello Hello Hello

MrJingles wrote:
Blimey, some one actually bought an Nvidia shield

It's the new one that doesn't burst into flames!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 17:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=884527#p884527

And then something about fridge magnets.

Yeah, but now he has it and like it, he probably wants to buy new things for it. That's how it works for me.

Hearthly wrote:
Also, ONE HUNDRED POUNDS FOR A TABLET KEYBOARD? That's like, 66% of the cost of my entire tablet.

Sure. It's a complicated bit of kit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 17:48 

Hearthly wrote:

Plenty of desktop keyboards cost that sort of money, even without inductive chargers, built-in batteries, and wireless chipsets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:03 
Excellent Member

No, I have no need of it and it's far too expensive to pick up just because.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Plenty of desktop keyboards cost that sort of money, even without inductive chargers, built-in batteries, and wireless chipsets.

Yeah but you only pay £100 or more for a desktop keyboard that's really got something going for it (like mechanical switches and extras like programmable macro keys, dedicated extra buttons and wheels for media/volume etc, a decent supporting software suite, and perhaps some funky lighting).

I'm not entirely sure that the Pixel C's £100 keyboard addon will be any nicer to use than the keyboard on my £200 Chromebook.

I appreciate that I'm really not 'the market' for something like the Pixel C and its keyboard, and can't get my head around that combo costing £500 - but each to their own of course.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:22 

Hearthly wrote:

Yeah but you only pay £100 or more for a desktop keyboard that's really got something going for it (like mechanical switches and extras like programmable macro keys, dedicated extra buttons and wheels for media/volume etc, a decent supporting software suite, and perhaps some funky lighting).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:35 
Excellent Member

The lesson I'm getting there is "Apple and Google both overcharge for keyboards", I'm not sure that's what you meant though?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Apple though innit, usual rules do not apply.

This is why all this Android stuff at Apple prices really confuses me. The original excitement around Android devices was, as best I can recall, getting Apple-esque quality products, operating system, organisational support etc without the alarmingly gougy prices.

I'm sure the Pixel C is a fine tablet, but for me, at that pricepoint (plus £100 keyboard), it misses the point of Android in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
The lesson I'm getting there is "Apple and Google both overcharge for keyboards", I'm not sure that's what you meant though?

I think it's to demonstrate that a 'normal' desktop keyboard can cost in the region of £100.

To which the answer is, 'Apple, because they can'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 18:55 

Hearthly wrote:
This is why all this Android stuff at Apple prices really confuses me. The original excitement around Android devices was, as best I can recall, getting Apple-esque quality products, operating system, organisational support etc without the alarmingly gougy prices.

I'm sure the Pixel C is a fine tablet, but for me, at that pricepoint (plus £100 keyboard), it misses the point of Android in the first place.

You really think the "point of Android" is to chase a competitor's tail-lights? That this meagre goal is the height of its ambition? You are completely wrong. It isn't and it never was. Citation: I know one of the Android engineers who pre-dates the Google acquisition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You really think the "point of Android" is to chase a competitor's tail-lights? That this meagre goal is the height of its ambition? You are completely wrong. It isn't and it never was. Citation: I know one of the Android engineers who pre-dates the Google acquisition.

I guess I just remember Google from their early days and that whole 'don't be evil' line, I'm probably too generous about their intentions when it comes to newer stuff like Android.

Maybe it's easy to forget that Google is a voracious tax-dodging entity that's entirely answerable to its shareholders just the same as Apple is, and is ultimately concerned with the accumulation of obscene amounts of wealth.

They'd be a far more interesting company if they'd never gone public.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:18 

Hearthly wrote:
I guess I just remember Google from their early days and that whole 'don't be evil' line, I'm probably too generous about their intentions when it comes to newer stuff like Android.
Building the best product you can -- and not a me-too copycat -- is not evil.

Quote:
Maybe it's easy to forget that Google is... entirely answerable to its shareholders
More than 50% of Google voting stock is in the hands of two people.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:28 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

This thread took a sudden turn. But on the bright side the window I read it in was suddenly a lot cleaner too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:29 
Excellent Member

Well that escalated quickly. We went from there being a single product you think is too expensive to the entire company is evil via a completely invented reason for Android's entire existence. You're being really weird about this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Building the best product you can -- and not a me-too copycat -- is not evil.

I'm not saying everything they do is evil, but that leads onto....

Quote:
More than 50% of Google voting stock is in the hands of two people, so it is not beholden to any shareholders.

But they do act like any publicly listed company and that means 'maximising the value to shareholders', so if they can dodge taxes via places like Bermuda and The Bahamas, they will do.

Didn't that Schmidt guy basically say 'Fuck you' over it? i.e. We're capitalists and therefore we make money like capitalists and if you don't like it then change the law?

And their VP said, as I recall, that their sales team in the UK didn't actually sell anything so weren't liable for any sales tax.

I'm not saying Google are uniquely bad or 'evil' in this regard, they're just the same as any other corporate behemoth, in that they have as much social conscience as a dog caught short on a croquet lawn* But I always liked to think of them as being a bit better than that.

* TM Ben Elton, Stark.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Well that escalated quickly. We went from there being a single product you think is too expensive to the entire company is evil via a completely invented reason for Android's entire existence. You're being really weird about this.

I know, right? I actually have to live with this brain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:32 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I know, right? I actually have to live with this brain.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:36 

Aaaand I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Citations for a couple of the above:

Schmidt very proud of tax avoidance scheme

Possibly a bit evil

Google's Tax Avoidance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 20:08 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Aaaand I'm out.

That's probably wise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 20:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 20:57 
Bad Girl

Price points are interesting beasts. Lots of things cost pence or a quids but have very large mark-ups to give an impression of quality and can't be too cheap as to give a perception the other way. Apple are scumbags for their ludicrous pricing on things like the lightning adapters and stuff. No idea if Google do the same with some of their stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 21:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Hearthly wrote:

I much preferred it when Google only charged £100 for a tablet keyboard, why can't we go back to the good old days?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:11 
SavyGamer

I do sort of wish they would make a proper Android laptop. Not a convertible or a detachable keyboard, but a proper laptop. There would need to be OS related work done (split screen support, better handling of a mouse, etc).

"They" being Google rather than just "someone", there exist Android laptops but from what I can tell they are all fairly low quality.

Chromebooks are nice enough, but get native support for Android apps in there (and have devs start actually designing their apps to fit to this form factor) and for my uses they would be a far more viable alternative to Windows laptops, where you have to fork out quite a lot to get a nice laptop that performs well, has good battery life, and isn't really heavy (I have a Vaio Pro 13, which is lovely but I had to pay quite a lot for it).

I know you can get Android apps running on a Chromebook, but from what I gather the results are imperfect, and the process is a bit awkward to set up. Anyone had any experience with this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You can get Android apps running on any laptop if you grab an emulator. They run pretty badly, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:20 
SavyGamer

You can get Android apps running on any laptop if you grab an emulator. They run pretty badly, though.

Yeah, I'm saying I want proper support, with all the tweaks needed to make Android function more like a desktop OS. Obviously this would be significant work, and it's arguable whether or not Laptops (rather than tablet/convertibles etc) are really a growth sector, but I'd certainly like the option. A Nexus/Pixel class laptop running Android would be lovely.

Even when MS announced the Surface Book, I was totally interested until they revealed it was a convertible. I have my iPad for tablety stuff, and am only really interested in laptops that haven't had a range of compromises made at the design stage to make it convert into a tablet. I want a proper hinge, I don't want it to be top heavy because of all the gubbins in the screen, and I don't want the ascociated weight increase.

I understand that these designs aren't in line with the majority of the market, and my usage is probably different to a lot of people (I move around a lot and do work that really needs a laptop every day), but I'm sure there'd be some market for these kind of devices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Marshallow update for the Nvidia Shield now available OTA, mine has updated and is running on Marshmallow without issue.

Not sure I can see a huge amount of difference (I had the same feeling when my Nexus 5 went from L to M), although apparently you can now do 'Adoptable Storage' so that any SD card you have in place (the Shield supports up to 128GB cards) becomes seamlessly merged with the main system storage.

Not sure how that'd work if you wanted to take the card out to copy films/music/suchlike to it from a PC or other device though, so I probably won't risk finding out the hard way until a few reports are in about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:39 

Taking out an adopted storage card will make it very unhappy indeed, and the card won't be readable in your PC anyway. (It gets formatted as ext4, IIRC.)

Probably the biggest difference you'll see in M is Doze Mode; standby time should be greatly increased.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Taking out an adopted storage card will make it very unhappy indeed, and the card won't be readable in your PC anyway. (It gets formatted as ext4, IIRC.)

Probably the biggest difference you'll see in M is Doze Mode; standby time should be greatly increased.

Cheers Doc just had a Google around on it and indeed you're basically fusing the card to the tablet/phone.

Probably not something I'll be doing then :)

http://www.androidcentral.com/inside-ma ... le-storage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 17:34 
Excellent Member

Is the Gmail app being flaky for anyone else? Over the last week or so mine seems to refresh only every few hours so I'm suddenly getting notified of loads of email going back hours. It's literally just told me about an email someone sent me at half twelve. I went into the App settings looks to clear the cache as that used to help with weird app issues but it doesn't even have that option in Marshmallow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 18:24 

App drawer | Gmail | Tap and hold | drag to "app info" at the top of the screen | Storage | Clear Cache

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 19:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also check how much free storage you have, although I guess with a new device you've not run out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 19:46 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
App drawer | Gmail | Tap and hold | drag to "app info" at the top of the screen | Storage | Clear Cache

That's the same place I was in previously but I didn't realise I needed to tap into the Storage section when previously the button was right there on that root page. Anyway, we'll see if that helps, ta.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 19:48 
Excellent Member

Also check how much free storage you have, although I guess with a new device you've not run out.

It's on my Nexus 6 so not a new device but I've still got 20GB free on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 
Hello Hello Hello

So unless I'm missing something here, prior to my Shield updating to Marshmallow, I had the option to move (certain) apps to the SD card.

Post-Marshmallow that option has gone, but of course you now have the option of adopting the SD card as internal storage.

The problem with that is it's an all-or-nothing scenario, on Lollipop you could have a few gigs of movies on the SD card, and a few gig of apps. Now you can either have the card as an SD card for 'stuff' but you can't have apps on it, or you adopt it as internal storage and have it added into the system pool.

The Shield only has 16GB of internal storage and on mine that's mostly used up by system/apps already, and I wanted to have the freedom to have more apps but also media and stuff on there too for when I go away. As such I decided to adopt the card as internal storage, thinking that'd give me a whole load of room to use as internal storage and could copy movies and stuff to it the same as you can the normal internal storage when connected to a PC via USB.

IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.

Before I adopted the card as internal storage, when I connected the Shield to my PC I saw two drives for it, one for internal storage and one for the SD card. As such I could copy media to either drive, but the internal storage has hardly any space and the SD card can't be used for apps whilst configured as portable storage. My thinking was I'd just have one big pool of internal storage after the adoption, or at least maintain the ability to copy media files to the newly adopted storage.

Nope, all that's actually happened is the SD card drive has disappeared, and the internal storage drive has a paltry 1GB free, just like it did before.

In Settings > Storage on the Shield it still sees the SD card as a discrete card so it's not 'pooled' it with the internal storage in that regard, and all I can have on there are Apps. It does now say on the overall Device Storage stats that 10.33GB is used of 69.44GB total, but there's absolutely no way that I can see for me to utilise that storage other than moving apps to it, which is shit because I'll never free up more than a few gig on the internal storage for media.

So for clarity, when you have a Marshmallow device with an SD card in it configured as portable storage and you connect it to your PC, you can copy files to either the internal storage or the SD card.

Once the SD card is adopted as storage, THE OPTION TO COPY FILES/MEDIA TO THE ADOPTED STORAGE SIMPLY DISAPPEARS, yes you gain a load more space for apps, but you're effectively limiting your space for EVERYTHING ELSE to the free space in your internal storage.

So it's shit, basically.

I might just format the card back to portable storage and keep my app footprint within the confines of the internal storage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 13:33 

Have you tried just copying media over to it until you overflow internal storage and seeing what happens?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 13:46 
Hello Hello Hello

I've read a suggestion that you have to go through the migrate data process and this then flags the SD portion of the storage as primary, and the device will then prefer it for apps and media.

Whether or not this is true or it makes any difference to how it's seen when connected to a PC I don't know.

Will try later as at the in-laws now for Chrimbo dinner and I left the Shield at home doing the migrate data process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 16:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhh right OK that actually works. It's not enough to adopt the SD card as internal storage, you have to perform the MIGRATE DATA function as well. (This is a process whereby it appears to dump everything it can onto the SD card, but in doing so does indeed then flag the SD card as 'primary' so you can see it in Windows Explorer.)

It's still not amazing though, in that ALL I can see in Windows Explorer now is the SD card space, it's not added it to the actual internal storage. (i.e. before I performed MIGRATE DATA all I could see was the internal storage, and now after MIGRATE DATA all I can see is the SD card, so either way I have less usable storage than before I adopted the SD card. The only benefit to adopting the card then is if you need more space for apps. If you prefer maximum space for media you're actually better off not adopting the card, as without adoption the space for media is additive, whereas with adoption it's exclusive to internal or card.)

As such if you had a device with 32GB of internal storage, and added a 32GB SD card to it, and then adopted the SD card as internal storage, all you'd have to work with is the 32GB of the SD card, your 32GB of internal storage is effectively lost in terms of putting your stuff there, I guess you can still move apps back to the internal storage if you want to.

So I'm happy enough now in that I have 51.6GB of space I can copy media files to, but it seems a rather imperfect situation TBH.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Anyone know how to move a cursor or a route on Google maps app?

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 133  Next