Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 14:35 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
I can't roll-back as apparently that wipes the SD card.

Well, yeah, you'd be reinstalling the entire OS so it's going to take the contents of single chunk of internal storage with it. Although I'm not sure how that means you can't roll it back; just back up any photos or whatever and you're ready to go surely?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 14:36 
Paws for thought

http://9to5google.com/2014/11/19/2012-e ... ight-help/

Have you tried this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 15:13 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

No. Thanks Dave, will try that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:51 

I just received the OTA update. It runs very smoothly on my Nexus 4.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 13:07 
Paws for thought

It's been waiting on my nexus 4 for a few days. Mainly waiting for feedback.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 13:27 

This cache clear didn't fix, sadly. It made it a little bit better, but it is still way worse than it was before!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 22:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

My Gmail android client updated today.
Whereas before I had the account name in the banner of the widget, now it has gone and just says "inbox" in a garish red banner.

Thanks for that Google, now I can't tell which email account I'm looking at, at a glance.

Fix it Gaywood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 22:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

FIG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 23:46 
Unpossible!

It's says Primary if you're in your Erm, primary inbox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 0:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
It's says Primary if you're in your Erm, primary inbox

I have three different email accounts. It doesn't tell me which account I'm in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 15:02 
Excellent Member

Picked up my Nexus 6 yesterday and have finally finished setting it up after my wifi went completely to shit yesterday*. I'm really pleased with it; it's lovely and fast, the screen is gorgeous and it's very 'premium' feeling in the hand. It's not plasticy like your usual Samsung kit but it's not as heavy as my One Max either and just feels really good to hold. I can't switch over to it fully quite yet as I need to get a nano-SIM for it but I'll sort that tomorrow and then the sodding One Max can get wiped and sold. I'm very happy I chose this rather then the Note 4 now.

*The router Sky give you is an utter shite heap, the internet connection to other devices regularly gets flooded out entirely if I'm torrenting something on my main PC and I'm pretty sure yesterday's wifi issues were because it decided there were just too many wireless devices connected to it and started fucking up. It's demonstrably and functionally shitter than the five year old router we had from Be in ex-Mrs B's flat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 15:59 
UltraMod

Premium-feeling handset? Nano-SIM? What have you become?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 16:58 
Sitting balls-back folder

Did 5.0.1 fix your 1st gen nexus 7? Helen's 2nd gen went straight to that, it took so long for lollipop to roll out to it, and it's super-silky.

Facial recognition can be re-enabled in settings, apparently.

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to/us ... p-0158161/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 13:38 
UltraMod

My work's secret Santa trolled me good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:17 
Unpossible!

That robot looks Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:37 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
That robot looks Canadian

Pull my finger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 14:45 
Unpossible!

Go fuck your uncle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:27 
Hello Hello Hello

So what's a decent and reasonably priced Android tablet then?

Hearthstone has just been released for Android and I want to play Hearthstone on a tablet without having to lash out BIG CASH MONIES on an iPad.

For reference, the game runs well on an iPad Air (Mrs Hearthly has one) but it's not exactly amazing (equivalent of low graphics settings on PC and 30FPS, not that it matters for a card game but it's indicative of the fact there's some graphicsy type stuff going on), so I'd be after an Android tablet that has about as much grunt as an iPad Air, not some horrible cheapy bit of rubbish.

On the phone side of things Google appear to have gone mad and decided to charge as much for the new Nexus phone as Apple want for an iPhone, and the Nexus 9 (a) Doesn't seem to be cheap and (b) Hasn't reviewed that well.

The original iPad Air is down at £320 since the iPad Air 2 came out, so I'd be looking to spend less than that, otherwise I'd just get an iPad Air.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmmm second gen Nexus 7 for £182 could be a tempting proposition..... Apparently it'll update to Lollipop as well.

http://www.ebuyer.com/524792-google-nex ... 081-m00120

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:07 
Unpossible!

Hudl 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 14:06 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

DavPaz wrote:
Hudl 2

One of the advantages of this is that you can probably see how well it plays the game by going into a Tesco and trying it on their display model

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 14:39 
Hello Hello Hello

That seems pretty bargaintastic for £129 and the reviews are solid.

Mrs Hearthly gets metric fucktons of shit delivered from Tesco all the time (as our bank statement will pay testament to), so hopefully there'll be some discount codes or suchlike on top of that even, they use all that Clubcard shit and stuff I believe. Couldn't say for sure, don't have anything to do with them and don't like having their products in the house.

I shall instruct her to add a Hudl2 to the next online order.

Cheers for the tip :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:03 

I think the hudl is covered by the "clubcard boost" thing, where £5 = £10, so potentially less if you hvae lots of points:
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/boost-at-tesco/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:15 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
Cheers for the tip :)

Welcome. I got one last week and (to quote my Scouse brethren) I'm made up with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:17 
Unpossible!

Oh, if you do get one and you're adverse to Tesco in general, best install the Google Now Launcher as soon as you get it. That'll hide all the Tesco nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:30 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Oh, if you do get one and you're adverse to Tesco in general, best install the Google Now Launcher as soon as you get it. That'll hide all the Tesco nonsense.

Haha, I don't know who's worse, Tesco or Google (clue: it's still Google).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 15:52 
Unpossible!

Shush now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 19:10 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:

All the reviews I read single out the Tesco Launcher as being the single worst thing about the tablet, do you literally just install the Google Now Launcher and it automatically disables all the Tesco crap? (The reviews said you can't uninstall the Tesco stuff but you can disable it.)

I may even saunter down to Tesco tomorrow lunch time (back at work, boo!), as it's just down the road from my office, and see if I can snag one IN PERSON. As they have no delivery slots left this side of new year now, much to the chagrin of Mrs Hearthly, or rather much to the chagrin of me, since I'll get lumped with a fucking shopping list and have to tramp round the miserable place to buy stuff.

I hate Tesco, it's full of pushy wankers. You get a far more laid back sort of shopper at Shoprite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 14:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I also got a Hudl 2 recently, and it's superb.

If you have any clubcard vouchers they're worth double the money when buying one, too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 15:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The excellent WarioWare-alike Dumb Ways To Die has a sequel out today called (wait for it) Dumb Ways To Die 2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:44 
Excellent Member

Yoink!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 16:21 

Has anyone here installed CyanogenMod on their phone?
I'm thinking of doing it, Alot of things I've read have suggested it often gives better performance.(And I don't think my phone could get much slower, to be honest.)
Any of you experienced this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 16:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I did, but about three years ago, so I doubt I'll have any useful info. I took it off again, if I remember rightly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 18:52 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
I did, but about three years ago, so I doubt I'll have any useful info. I took it off again, if I remember rightly.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 19:43 

I did, i didn't like it too much, it took away a load of features I was used to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 20:50 
Sitting balls-back folder

My phone will have cyanogenmod on it, but by design, and only until lollipop is rolled out to it - I'm waiting for a OnePlus One.

So not much use at all really.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 22:12 

Thanks for the great help. :P
I went ahead and installed it (With only a little shouting) not long after I posted that, and I quite like it.
I put it on a HP Touchpad a year or 2 back, and I don't remember it being very good, but I really like the version on my phone now.
(Not to mention, performance does seem to have been greatly improved - much less lag when doing anything.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 22:22 

It depends on your phone. If they've managed to work it all out, then it's probably better than any stock rom you can put on your phone (although where a few years ago it was probably Cyanogenmod or nothing, there now tends to be a lot of flavours of aosp roms, some of which have features that don't fit into what cyanogenmod has now decided it wants to be). On the other hand, you might find that all that horrible bloaty software that was put on there by the manufacturer is actually quite good, and under cyanogenmod the camera lacks features your're used to, or, if you're unlucky, just isn't as good.

Have you looked at xposed? It runs on stock roms, but has modules that can bring in features you'd find in cyanogenmod.

Like I said though, it can all depend on your phone, I've often found that once you've used cyanogenmod, you find yourself getting torn between the two different styles of rom as they both involve compromises and you just have to accept one or the other.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 22:30 

I don't have Sony's "Amazing" 'Mobile Bravia Engine 2' anymore, but then I never really thought it made much of a difference.
It's a Xperia Z I have, and I honestly can't think of anything that I am going to miss. I've got a Stock ROM downloaded for if I want to go back, but so far I've seen no reason at to why I would. You're right about the camera, I've noticed the one in CyanogenMod has a lot less features, but 1) I don't really use it much (Prefer to use a real camera) and 2) There's probably an app for that.
Very much tempted to go have a look through XDA now and see what other ROMs there is you can get - but I'd probably just end up breaking it (again...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 22:55 

Same phone as me, and I settled for a stock rom with some xposed modules. However, you can get lollipop roms on xda though, so you might want to give them a go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 23:00 

Did you have problems a lot of performance issues with 4.4.2 as well, then?
I might try a Lolipop one, but not yet. I want to play around with CyanogenMod a bit more - I love how you can customise pretty much everything. It's brilliant.

I love that you get things like this on XDA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 23:10 

When I used to run cyanogenmod, I'd be updating my phone pretty much every day, but when I used stock I just used to use it. There was a problem on 4.4.2 (I think) where google play services would just go nuts and drain the battery, but that did get fixed.

Lollipop is nice, but it's pretty much just a cases of what you see is what you get at the moment. People just seem pretty pleased to have it up and running, there's not a lot in the way of customisation yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 23:18 

Can you just use CWM to install new CM zips without wiping the phone, then?
My battery drained VERY fast with 4.4.2, and was very slow. 4.4.4 Fixed it a bit, but it was still not as good as it used to be.
I'm not sure what i think of lolipop. I'm not sure if I like the way some apps look now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 23:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Cor... this is a bit good innit.

I can tell it to always have the next 5 episodes of a show locally converted and synced, and it keeps that 5 episode buffer as I watch them. Lovely.

Spoke too soon. It worked fine... until it stopped working and now won't sync anything anymore...

Bit of a post resurrection, but it needs saying. The dev team behind plex are utterly hopeless, it's possibly the buggiest piece of shit i've ever had to use on android, but unfortunately I can't find anything else that has the same functionality. I want to sync unwatched episodes of TV shows to my phone automatically, deleting the ones i've watched and adding news ones that I haven't seen and plex is perfect for that... if the devs had an IQ above single figures.

They updated the app 2 weeks ago, which introduced a bug that set hard limit to the space dedicated to synced content. They "fixed" that today, now the latest release has removed the sync option for each show entirely, and corrupted the database so that any synced content you already have in unusable, but still taking up space on your phone.

I'm used to having to press the sync button multiple times every few nights as it regularly fails halfway through with no indication as to why, but this is just getting ludicrous.

I don't suppose anyone knows of another android app that has the same automatic sync functionality?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I used to have problems with random sync fails, but it seems much better lately (ie. the last six months or so).

It's hard to blame the devs, as they're doubtless getting whipped as it's not available on a toaster yet. Honestly, the number of things that have a Plex app is insane.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:25 
Unpossible!

Is the plex pass worth the money?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think so, but I literally only use it for the Sync. If that's broken, I'll be a sad puppy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Apparently my sync button disappearing was because the plex authentication server no longer thought I had a plex pass, even though my account thinks I do... All fixed, now to re-sync everything again. Joy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 16:44 
Gogmagog

Is there a virus checker I should use?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 16:55 

Do you ever install anything from dodgy third party app stores full of cracked version of premium apps?

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 133  Next