Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 14:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

You have a lot of notifications, by the way... :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 17:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Firmware updated and I have 4G mode available!

No idea why I had to sideload though, it should have "just worked"...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 17:52 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Firmware updated and I have 4G mode available!

No idea why I had to sideload though, it should have "just worked"...

The bit that confuses me is why you need a firmware update at all to expose a network function the phone handles at a hardware level out or the box and that's one of the core spec features. It's really fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 17:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Anyone want to buy a Nexus 4 16Gb and/or a Nexus 7 3G 32Gb before I send them to the great ebay in the sky? £120 for the 4, £100 for the 7.

Ended up at £175 for the 7 and £125 for the 4. Better than I expected!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 14:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cut the Rope 2, you say?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ogle&hl=en

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

It's a bit "meh" isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's a bit "meh" isn't it?

I played the original for about five minutes before getting utterly bored; I never understood it's massive appeal. I have installed the new one though so I'll give it a another chance whenever I get round to it. Mind you, as it's a sequel to a popular mobile game it'll be IAP'd up the fucking wazoo with countdown timers and Facebook bullshit as standard so it's probably got less chance than the original of staying on my phone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 23:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Now I've had the Note 3 for a bit, and have it set up how I like, I can safely say it is bloody brilliant.

5h 30m screen on time so far today, and I still have 25% battery left.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 
Excellent Member

Pricing details have been announced for the OnePlus One and it's hilariously cheap, beating even the Nexus 5 for price vs spec. It's genuinely top end hardware (2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB of RAM, 5.5-inch 1080p screen, 13-megapixel Sony camera) and it's only £229 for the 16Gb version or £269 for the 64GB. That aside it's an interesting proposition because it ships with an official CyanogenMod OS which I think makes it the first device to do so. Also, I do quite fancy a wooden or even kevlar back on a phone.

It'll be interesting to see what full reviews have to say about it but it's certainly not your usual Chinese knock-off bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
The white one is our favorite, as its special coating -- apparently made out of powdered cashew nuts -- gives a "baby skin" feel

8)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 15:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I'll be moving to PAYG next week when my current contract comes to an end. My trusty HTC One X is now two years old and whilst I do very much like the One M8 it's not £500 of like, and it's not as if I want anything out of a phone that the One X doesn't do perfectly well.

I need very little in the way of texts and minutes, so I'll just be going onto a rolling 30 day PAYG tariff that gives me a big dollop of data (along with far more minutes and texts than I'll ever need).

I'm wondering if we're getting to the point now where a lot of tech is plenty good enough even for nerdy types who care about what's inside the box. My PC isn't exactly cutting edge and yet it does everything I want, our big telly is a seven year old 720p 40 incher that I see no point in replacing, my phone is now two years old and for the first time since forever I'll be going off-contract and onto PAYG because I don't want a new handset. Mrs AE went onto PAYG about six months ago because she's completely happy with her phone, and so on.....

Who do they sell new shinies to when the people who like new shinies stop seeing the point in upgrading?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 21:51 
Unpossible!

Oh, you're AE!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 18:13 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I got a virus hit for arm amp if any one uses it without a scanner. Something bolt the virus.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 18:53 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
I got a virus hit for arm amp if any one uses it without a scanner. Something bolt the virus.

Well, that's what you get for trying to make your limbs louder quite frankly.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 19:09 
Rude Belittler

Upgrade day: Note 3 ordered. Looking at accessories.Anyone use a case for theirs? I'm thinking Otterbox Commuter. Also one of those nifty spare battery and charger kits.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 19:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

I use mine naked as the day it came.

Give it a go without a spare battery, it's pretty meaty and I haven't run out yet, apart from when I forget to shut down apps that are poorly coded and keep themselves running the background. Facebook messenger and marvel puzzle quest, I'm looking at you...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 19:54 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, but there's a lot of exposed glass on one of those things... *shudders at the thought of scratches, let alone dropping the thing face down..*

The spare battery is more for when I go away. To a field with no power. For 5 days in a row. My iphone generally dies on the train home even if I am super sparing in its use. Also it is always a nice thing to have a spare juiced up and ready.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 20:19 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
Yeah, but there's a lot of exposed glass on one of those things... *shudders at the thought of scratches, let alone dropping the thing face down..*

Ex-Mrs B has one of these. It's relatively pricey for what it is because it's official Samsung gear but, because it's official, it's very slim and the phone fits very nicely in it. As someone who eschews cases in general it's one of the nicest I've seen. You actually take the whole back cover off the phone and it clips into the case as a new phone back so it's all very tidy and whatnot.

Pundabaya wrote:
The spare battery is more for when I go away. To a field with no power. For 5 days in a row. My iphone generally dies on the train home even if I am super sparing in its use. Also it is always a nice thing to have a spare juiced up and ready.

You'll find you get a lot more use out of it than an iPhone due to the massive battery in the thing, more so if you do the usual stuff like putting the screen on auto-dim etc. Well, I'm saying that; I'm drawing a conclusion from the fact that I've always run all my larger size Android phones at full brightness all the time because I can, whereas I've noticed practically everyone I know with an iPhone keeps the screen dimmed all the way down, presumably to save battery life. Not that it'll do you five days in a field obviously, but hopefully you'll see a positive difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 22:13 
Rude Belittler

Decided on one of these bad boys:

Spigen Armor View

It looks classy, (unlike some of the monstrosities that you see about) it offers quite a bit of protection, and it has all the S view gubbins. Quite expensive though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 22:55 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
The white one is our favorite, as its special coating -- apparently made out of powdered cashew nuts -- gives a "baby skin" feel

8)

'For those Serial Killer wannabes, this phone feels like baby skin. Also it provides a good bonding surface for when you upgrade to the real thing!'

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 23:25 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Pundabaya wrote:
Decided on one of these bad boys:

Spigen Armor View

It looks classy, (unlike some of the monstrosities that you see about) it offers quite a bit of protection, and it has all the S view gubbins. Quite expensive though.

How can you use the bottom of the screen? Does this easily flip open?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 0:13 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, its like a tougher version of the Samsung S-View case.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 
Rude Belittler

Okay, it's been two years since I had a 'droid phone, what are the current 'must have' apps?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Nothing really, pretty much the same as iOS.

One thing with the Note 3, if you use your phone as an alarm clock or kitchen timer, then the stock Samsung timer/alarm is fucking awful. I'm using Timely instead, which is much better.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:32 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
then the stock Samsung timer/alarm is fucking awful. I'm using Timely instead, which is much better.

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
then the stock Samsung timer/alarm is fucking awful. I'm using Timely instead, which is much better.

+1

It's pretty impressive quite how much Samsung managed to fuck up such a simple thing...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 
Unpossible!

Yep. But Timely is very good. And pretty.

And you can customise the snooze time. 1st snooze, 9 mins. 2nd snooze, 4 mins. 3rd snooze, 1 minute.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 
Excellent Member

The obvious thing to investigate is alternative keyboards because it's something Android offers that iOS doesn't. I use Swype at the moment but I don't know what the current favourite is.

It's also worth looking for widgets you might find useful; I've got a tasks one on my homescreen which is massively useful for ensuring I remember to do stuff and the excellent National Rail one on a different screen but neither of those may work for you obviously.

Am I right in saying that emulation is easier on Android than iOS? If that's your thing then Android is well served with shedloads of emulators for everything under the sun.

Also there's a location based app that changes system settings and whatnot based on where you are (e.g. when you get to work it can turn all your volumes off) which I think I'm right in saying is more useful on Android than iOS because it can control much more stuff. Grim and Craster use it I think so maybe they can remind me what it's called and give some more compelling examples of what you can do with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 13:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
The spare battery is more for when I go away. To a field with no power. For 5 days in a row.

Then you want one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/15000mAh-Portab ... ords=anker

I've had mine for a month now, and it's bloody brilliant. It can do at least three full charges for my Note 3 when it's fully charged (and quite possibly another one too).

Also a girl at a pub called me a "magician" because I could charge up her iPhone for her the other night. And then Snappa pulled her :(

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 18:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
The spare battery is more for when I go away. To a field with no power. For 5 days in a row.

Then you want one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/15000mAh-Portab ... ords=anker

I've had mine for a month now, and it's bloody brilliant. It can do at least three full charges for my Note 3 when it's fully charged (and quite possibly another one too).

Also a girl at a pub called me a "magician" because I could charge up her iPhone for her the other night. And then Snappa pulled her :(

That looks handy, how long does it hold its charge for?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 19:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So far, forever. I've not had it long enough to give a good answer.

I'm going to put money on "fucking ages" though.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 
Excellent Member

Do you ever actually go that long without access to a charger? I look at these things and briefly consider buying them as they're an undeniably good bit of kit, but then I remember I'd never have a reason to use one. Not that other people wouldn't ever, but for people like me and you who're either at home or in an office (or relativity briefly travelling between the two) I always wonder what the need for it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 

I have a little gadget that I plug my RC batteries into and it has a USB socket on it. Cost about three quid and is ace for when out camping and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Do you ever actually go that long without access to a charger? I look at these things and briefly consider buying them as they're an undeniably good bit of kit, but then I remember I'd never have a reason to use one. Not that other people wouldn't ever, but for people like me and you who're either at home or in an office (or relativity briefly travelling between the two) I always wonder what the need for it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I've no idea what you're trying to say here.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If I'm not at home or in the office, I'll be sat in one of those.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:03 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I might have to look at one of those?

Can it be charge by a solar panel?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If you buy a solar panel that plugs into a micro-USB and don't actually want it to charge, then I guess so.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:16 

Grim... wrote:
If you buy a solar panel that plugs into a micro-USB and don't actually want it to charge, then I guess so.

Cool, that is what I was thinking. MsKov's mum does a lot of camping

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd imagine it'd take days to perform a full charge, but I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:18 

Was thinking, fully charge it before she goes and trickle charge it when out.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:37 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Right, but unless your battery discharges instantly as soon as your cross the threshold of a pub being sat in one surely isn't a problem as you'll have been charging the thing up before you left the house/office to go to the pub. Well, for me that's the case anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Right, but unless your battery discharges instantly as soon as your cross the threshold of a pub being sat in one surely isn't a problem as you'll have been charging the thing up before you left the house/office to go to the pub. Well, for me that's the case anyway.

Sure, but a) other people aren't as clever as me and you and you can help them out, and b) when it's 4am and your train has been cancelled and you need to figure out what station you need to get to to grab another one, you really need your phone to be working.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:43 
Unpossible!

... and you've already got a backpack full of fancy tech, so why not?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:43 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
when it's 4am and you're sat on a train toilet, you really need your phone's camera to be working.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 13:57 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:
when it's 4am and you're sat on a train toilet, you really need your phone's camera to be working.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 15:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That too.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 
Rude Belittler

Ooh, this Note 3 is a bit swish, isn't it? The handwriting recognition is proper impressive, I can't believe it works this well.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It is, and it does.

Will you be like me and never use the handwriting bit again?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

The only real use for the pen is to draw ghosts on snapchat images, I have found.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 133  Next