Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 14:49 
Sitting balls-back folder

They need a bit longer because of the right-hand conversion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:54 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Gah! You can order the Nexus 9 in the US, France and Germany but not in the UK. Why do Google hate me? :'(

Not sure this needs a response.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 17:11 
Excellent Member

Woo! My Nexus 9 has just shipped! Conversely there's still no sign of my Note 4 because fucking Samsung keep diverting stock to their own stores and the telcos. So if you want to just buy a handset SIM free from a third party supplier, Clove in this case, you're fucked and right now I literally don't even have a predicted ship date for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:56 
Excellent Member

Nexus 9 get! Though I'm already annoyed about it which isn't a great start.

On first boot up it requires you to connect to a wifi network and won't let you get to the desktop without an internet connection at all (there's a 'Skip' button during the setup that just seems to be there to taunt you because it's fucking disabled). I had connected it to the work wifi but that then redirects to an internal authentication page and the redirection doesn't work during this initial setup so that's rendered unusable.

I then tethered it to my mate's phone thinking that I just need to get it to download my contacts etc so I can get to the desktop and then I can properly authenticate to the work wifi as normal. Hahah, nope! There's a fucking mandatory update required which is a ~300MB download with no options to skip it! Awesome!

So it's now sitting possibly downloading this update through the tether but we don't get a great data mobile connection in here and, of course, there's absolutely no progress indicator on the tablet so it just has a static message saying the update "could take up to 5 minutes!" Which is a completely arbitrary time period to quote and, in this case, a complete lie.

This is a proper shitty first experience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 14:19 
Excellent Member

Google have announced the UK pricing for the Nexus 6 so it's £500 for the base 32GB model and £550 for the 64GB. That has caused me to cancel my Note 4 order which has been hanging around for ages now due to Samsung diverting all stock to it's own shops and the telcos while giving nothing at all, not even a predicted stock date, to the third party SIM-free suppliers. And charging about £60 more for the handset in their stores than I could get it from Clove.

Anyway, the only reason I wasn't considering a Nexus 6 before was due to the lack of removable storage because I use my phone as an mp3 player. When I saw that a 64GB version was available though I checked my storage usage on my current phone and between the internal and SD card I'm currently only using 20GB. Obviously I'll be looking to load more mp3s on there over time but there's no way I'm going to suddenly need more than an extra 44GB in space so the 64GB Nexus 6 will do me fine. Hell, the 32GB would probably even be okay but I'll spend the extra £50 just to be on the safe side. Not least because I'm considering getting out of the yearly upgrade cycle due to their being less and less compelling reasons to do it every year. Aside from fixed storage it's pretty much the same tech as the Note 4 (Snapdragon 805 chipset, 3GB RAM, QHD screen) but comes with the bonus of none of Samsung's fucking bullshit all over it. Granted, they haven't actually opened orders up yet so God knows when I'll actually be able to lay my hands on it but that's no different than the position I'm already in with fucking Samsung.

To continue my Nexus 9 boringness from the last post, I eventually had to do a factory reset on the thing to get it up and running (and holy shit are the Android menus for that process horrible and needlessly terrifying). After I did that it still demanded the 300MB update, and still gave no information during that process how the download was going, but did at least grab it and install it after a few minutes on my home wifi. The experience improved dramatically and unexpectedly after that first part though. As soon as it booted up and logged me in it asked if I wanted to copy the setup over from my Nexus 10. When I said yes it presented me with a list of all the apps currently installed on the N10 so I could choose which ones to put on the N9. After that it went one better and actually recreated my entire home screen setup from one tablet to the other; all the folders, icons and even widgets from the N10 were put in the same place on the N9 (with any configurable widgets having 'tap to setup' text overlaid on the to prompt me to set them up as I wanted them). What was very cool was the way it recreated the home screen setup instantly with all the app and widget icons greyed out and, as each application was installed in the background, the relevant icon or widget would colour in to show it was ready. I presume these are all features specific to the GEL launcher, and possibly even to Lollipop, but I'd never heard that it did this so was very impressed.

Annoyingly though I realised at this point that I hadn't ordered a case for the thing so after that initial setup it's been consigned to a drawer in favour of the N10 because I can't just throw it into a back and take it out with me. Or ever prop it up for proper usage when at home. Most of the cases for it on Amazon aren't actually released until later in the month and the folio style case I've ordered has a delivery date of November the 15th at the earliest. Fuck sake.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:11 
Hello Hello Hello

I've read a few reviews on the Nexus 9 and the consensus seems to be, 'good but not great', which is a problem when the basic model costs £320, which gets you an iPad Air.

I'm looking to get a tablet for myself in the near future and I had high hopes for the Nexus 9, but I'm just not seeing that there's £320 worth of tablet there. I've read reviews citing inconsistent backlights, backlight bleeding, below average speakers, not quite perfect build quality, and so on.

When the Nexus was sort of a budget choice you could let some of that stuff go, but not now they're after top-table money for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:23 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I've read a few reviews on the Nexus 9 and the consensus seems to be, 'good but not great', which is a problem when the basic model costs £320, which gets you an iPad Air.

I'm looking to get a tablet for myself in the near future and I had high hopes for the Nexus 9, but I'm just not seeing that there's £320 worth of tablet there. I've read reviews citing inconsistent backlights, backlight bleeding, below average speakers, not quite perfect build quality, and so on.

When the Nexus was sort of a budget choice you could let some of that stuff go, but not now they're after top-table money for them.

The iPad isn't a contender as I'm not interested in anything Apple. The only other people really doing > 7 inch Android tablets are Samsung but every tablet they do is laggy as shit (due to TouchWiz being awful) so they can fuck off. Which leaves the Nexus 9 essentially.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Nexus 6 UK prices have come out at £500 and £550 for the 32gb and 64gb respectively.

I think i'll keep the Note 3...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:32 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Nexus 6 UK prices have come out at £500 and £550 for the 32gb and 64gb respectively.

Not reading one post eh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:40 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Not reading one post eh?

Yep, super ignore function is working well Grim...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:42 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I will keep my iPhone 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:49 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:
I will keep my iPhone 5

First sensible thing I've read in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 16:50 

What's the hivemind's consensus on the Tesco hudl 2, then? It seems very cheap, yet I had a play with one yesterday and it seemed pretty good.

We need an Android tablet for testing stuff at the office, as we're very iOS centric at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Not reading one post eh?

Reading is overrated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:

I think i'll keep the Note 3...

£500 for a fucking phone.

The world's gone mad.

Also makes the Nexus 5 look amazingly bargaintastic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:10 

I remember when Android was cheaper than Apple

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:12 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
What's the hivemind's consensus on the Tesco hudl 2, then? It seems very cheap, yet I had a play with one yesterday and it seemed pretty good.

We need an Android tablet for testing stuff at the office, as we're very iOS centric at the moment.

By all accounts they've very, very good for the price and have a performance level that's surprised most folks. Though if it was a work budget I was using to buy something I'd probably just go for a Nexus 7, there's only about £30 of price difference.

Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:

The world apparently went mad years ago but I never noticed for some reason.

Feex.

UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:

The 6+ is about £800...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:16 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

The 6+ is about £800...

Only if you go up to 128GB of storage; the 64GB is £700. Which does still show the flaw in Kovacs' idea of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:21 

American Nervoso wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

The 6+ is about £800...

Yes the 128GB is that...wow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

The world apparently went mad years ago but I never noticed for some reason.

Feex.

Yeah but Android was supposed to be the cheaper alternative, pitching the Nexus 6 directly against the iPhone6 price wise isn't a great move IMO.

I originally moved to Android because I thought the money Apple was after for the iPhone4 (or the 3GS, can't remember) at the time was daft. Now Google are after daft money as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:35 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Yeah but Android was supposed to be the cheaper alternative

Has that ever actually been a stated aim of Android?

Hearthly wrote:
pitching the Nexus 6 directly against the iPhone6 price wise isn't a great move IMO.

Taken on a pure spec basis the Nexus 6 would really be better compared to iPhone 6+ which it is genuinely a chunk cheaper than as discussed above.

Also, in the above, you're conflating Android with Google Nexus hardware. If you want a smart phone that's cheaper than an iPhone then Android is the best game in town because you have the option to get something cheaper (with Apple responding to that with the 5C to some degree). Top spec premium hardware costs more regardless of the OS though, that's just how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 18:16 

Hearthly wrote:
£500 for a fucking phone. The world's gone mad.
Don't you routinely trumpet the benefits of £1000 PCs over £350 games consoles?

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Yeah but Android was supposed to be the cheaper alternative
Has that ever actually been a stated aim of Android?
Nowhere I've ever seen.

American Nervoso wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
The 6+ is about £800...

And has 1 GB of RAM, compared to the Nexus 6's 3 GB. I'm not obsessed with specs but I feel the iPhone's relative paucity of RAM bite every time I see Safari reload tabs I wasn't finished with. Sometimes with half-written forum posts in, which is most annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 18:29 

Bamba wrote:
As soon as it booted up and logged me in it asked if I wanted to copy the setup over from my Nexus 10. When I said yes it presented me with a list of all the apps currently installed on the N10 so I could choose which ones to put on the N9. After that it went one better and actually recreated my entire home screen setup from one tablet to the other; all the folders, icons and even widgets from the N10 were put in the same place on the N9 (with any configurable widgets having 'tap to setup' text overlaid on the to prompt me to set them up as I wanted them). What was very cool was the way it recreated the home screen setup instantly with all the app and widget icons greyed out and, as each application was installed in the background, the relevant icon or widget would colour in to show it was ready. I presume these are all features specific to the GEL launcher, and possibly even to Lollipop, but I'd never heard that it did this so was very impressed.
It's a bit of both. Homescreen layout restores is a feature of GEL, regardless of Android version. The process of restoring backups taken under K or L is better in L. And I believe the backup process itself is also better under L (although unless you had a dev preview on your N10 you won't have seen that.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 14:10 
Unpossible!

Changing the subject slightly... opinions on this el cheapo kids tablet please. It's a for a 2 year old.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kool-TM-Tablet- ... 0V368WH_tt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 14:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Apparently it's pretty good, especially for the money.

Battery is really bad, though (about an hour with use - which might be enough for a two year old, of course).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 14:39 
Unpossible!

An hour. Yikes. One of the reviews says after a few charges, the battery is calibrated. Hmm... worth a £30 gamble?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 14:41 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
An hour. Yikes. One of the reviews says after a few charges, the battery is calibrated. Hmm... worth a £30 gamble?

A responsible parent wouldn't allow a child to use it for longer than that anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:35 

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

A responsible parent wouldn't allow a child to use it for longer than that anyway.

Why not?

If they are watching a film or tv program.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:36 
Unpossible!

Kov, don't bite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:38 

DavPaz wrote:
Kov, don't bite.

ok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

I don't understand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:52 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Kov, don't bite.

ok

TOO LATE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:33 
Gogmagog

American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

No. Because the little shit somehow almost ordered the entirety of Dolly Parton's back catalogue when she had my Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:46 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

No. Because the little shit somehow almost ordered the entirety of Dolly Parton's back catalogue when she had my Fire

Honest, MrsA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 19:21 

Nexus 6 reviews embargo is up. Here's the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7200 ... s-6-review

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 19:23 
UltraMod

The Guardian's review of the Nexus 9: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... g-or-apple

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 20:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Lots of middling reviews for the Nexus 9, for the money they're asking (£399 for the 32GB model), an iPad Air 32GB for £359 makes it look pretty stupid.

Nearly all the reviews I've read mention the laggy user experience and slightly-not-there build quality of the Nexus 9, simply not acceptable in a £400 tablet. (I'm discounting the 16GB model as that's scarcely a usable amount of space on a tablet these days.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 20:38 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
The Guardian's review of the Nexus 9: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... g-or-apple

I admit that I haven't spent a massive amount of time with mine as yet but I'd disagree with aspects of that review. There's certainly no 'rough edges' on mine and it's a really weird thing to accuse the screen of being a fingerprint magnet as I can't see how it possibly attracts more fingerprints than any other touchscreen device. The performance on mine is smooth as you like throughout as well, certainly it's noticeable nippier than any other Android device I've owned and a lot more pleasant to swipe around in than even the latest Samsung tablets. The point about the 'loose' back is absolutely true though and real ball-drop on HTCs part. I'll never notice it once I finally get a case for the thing but there are areas of the back where it's noticeably not attached to the body of the thing very well which is irritating.

One of the commenters on that article notes that the reviews for the N9 are all over the shop and it almost seems like people are reviewing two different devices which I agree with, the range of different opinions on certain aspects is very odd. Generally speaking though I don't think that review reads very well either as an article in itself or as a critique. I think it's the 'dumbed down' style of it compared to, say, an Engadget review that's annoying me but I appreciate it's potentially two different audiences.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 20:48 
Gogmagog

I don't think I'd turn to the grauniad for tech reviews any more than I would the news.I thougt the review was half finished. It just seemed to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:39 

Lollipop rollout is go! Nexus owners should see OTA prompts soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:38 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lollipop rollout is go! Nexus owners should see OTA prompts soon.

Any weird things expected to happen after you upgrade, or is it a case of suck it and see?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 0:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
One of the commenters on that article notes that the reviews for the N9 are all over the shop and it almost seems like people are reviewing two different devices which I agree with, the range of different opinions on certain aspects is very odd. Generally speaking though I don't think that review reads very well either as an article in itself or as a critique. I think it's the 'dumbed down' style of it compared to, say, an Engadget review that's annoying me but I appreciate it's potentially two different audiences.

This review goes into a lot more detail and seems pretty even-handed and comprehensive.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11 ... omparison/

Again the build quality and screen issues are mentioned.

Quote:
Build quality / quality control issues that border on embarrassing. Light bleed, back flex, snapping noises, and a general feeling of low-cost hardware. It's not just me, either, complaints are increasingly common.

K1 Denver just does not seem to be shaping up as the performance powerhouse we hoped it would be, the Nexus 9 stutters and lags at times, and generally is just kind of rough around the edges.

Pictures of shonky ones here - http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nexus-9-pr ... ers-393867

If the tablet was dramatically undercutting what Apple were charging for iPads maybe it'd get cut some slack, but they're asking more than iPad Air money, and not much less than iPad Air 2 money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 
Excellent Member

My experience is different. :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:26 

Yes, that's what happens when you have poor quality control, people's experiences differ.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 
Awesome
Yes

Is there a nexus 6 and a nexus 9 being released at the same time?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:46 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:

Almost. They were announced at the same time and the Nexus 9 is available to buy right now worldwide but the Nexus 6 can't be ordered quite yet (in the UK at least). They've put the price and range of models up on the website so the actual ordering is expected to open soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:46 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Yes, that's what happens when you have poor quality control, people's experiences differ.

Aye, that does seem to be the case.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:47 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:

I believe they were meant to be the same device, but the quality control was so poor they've got an acceptable screen size range of three inches.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 133  Next