Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Virtua Tennis 2009
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 14:30 

I picked up VT4 today.

Before I get told off, I did try the demo of the recent Top Spin game, but I'm afraid I found the controls too complex.

Anyway, apparently, the new VT is improved over the last couple, or something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 14:44 
Comfortably Dumb

I bought a Virtua Tennis game today too but I went for the cheapskate option of getting 2009. My local Cash Converters had it and the EA tennis game for £3.99 each - both of which support the Wii Motion Plus thingy so I went for the Sega option.

Ideally I'd be getting a Kinect and VT4 but I can't justify that kind of cost.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 16:07 

devilman wrote:

Mind you, by all accounts VT4 is shit with the Kinect and better with the PS3 hand-held wotsit.

Still that matters not to me as I would only ever want to play a sports game with an actual regular controller.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 13:03 
UltraMod

Agent Starling wrote:
Before I get told off, I did try the demo of the recent Top Spin game, but I'm afraid I found the controls too complex.

I wouldn't worry, Top Spin have gone too far down the route of simulation in my eyes. I loved TS2, but TS3 I've barely touched, as it's an utter chore.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 13:26 
Comfortably Dumb

Agent Starling wrote:
devilman wrote:

Mind you, by all accounts VT4 is shit with the Kinect and better with the PS3 hand-held wotsit.

Still that matters not to me as I would only ever want to play a sports game with an actual regular controller.

It probably doesn't help that I'm generally off gaming just lately, but I managed about 20 minutes of VT 2009 before switching it off. The Wii remote controls are too woolly, even with the Motion Plus.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 23:52 

Virtua Tennis 4 is actually pretty good. I wasn't expecting that but basically it's the same as 2009 but with the following changes.

Controls seem a bit tighter (even less divey than 2009 which was hugely less divey than the risible VT3) and they've added some kind of super shot thing.

World Tour mode now has you following a linear progression path thing. It's hard to explain and initially very cumbersome but it eventually makes sense. It gives you less choice than before which is kind of a good thing as the whole mode feels a lot more focused.

Different mini-games. The bowling has gone, replaced with football (!) and there are various other new ones. They seem pretty decent.

Music has chilled out a lot. The shitty rock soundtrack is a bit more poppy now.

Intro sequence is properly bent.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 
Participant in dramatic games

Ah roland garros is on. I might switch on my wii for the underrated grand slam tennis!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 22:09 

Blucey wrote:
World Tour mode now has you following a linear progression path thing. It's hard to explain and initially very cumbersome but it eventually makes sense. It gives you less choice than before which is kind of a good thing as the whole mode feels a lot more focused.

Different mini-games. The bowling has gone, replaced with football (!) and there are various other new ones. They seem pretty decent.

Agreed. Found the World Tour awkward at first, getting the hang of those ticket things, but once understood it's loads better than the previous method.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 23:56 

Agent Starling wrote:
Blucey wrote:

Agreed. Found the World Tour awkward at first, getting the hang of those ticket things, but once understood it's loads better than the previous method.

A lot shorter too. This is a good thing.

The only downside to the game is that King turns up in it. Cheaty bastard that he is.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 13:20 

And going back to the improved mini-games you mentioned - I really like the one where you have to lead the chicks to the side, and it's a little upsetting when one gets hit by the ball!

Also, what do you think of the Super Shot thing? I quite like it, and don't feel it's really a cheat as it can take a good while to fill up the bar before you can use it, plus the other player has the same option so it's all equal I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 13:34 

I think it's quite well-implemented. Like you say, it takes a while to charge and it's not a guaranteed point either, you still need to use it at the right time.

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2