Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:07 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 17960
Location: shropshire, uk
asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
It gets better: It currently has a Child Seat on it, like this one...

Image

:metul:


Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them


Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
It gets better: It currently has a Child Seat on it, like this one...

Image

:metul:


Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them


Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.


I like this idea. Good man.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:31 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1311
Bike seat: I have a Hamax Kiss and still take my daughter out on it. She's 5 in a couple of weeks.

Balance bike: don't get one of these. Mini Fop found it much too heavy to get on with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1311
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 1789
If you want to go the other way, away from safety etc, come to Whitstable for lessons in how to take your little girl to school as she stands on the handlebars of your bike. Bloke here does it regularly - kind of amazing; her balance, his ability to hold on and the sheer insanity of the thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 17960
Location: shropshire, uk
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:49 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.


Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.


I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)


Dempsey sat on a paw patrol bike in Halfords and it fitted but she wasn't strong enough to turn pedals. She then detonated when we had to leave as I had ignored her advice of "Let's buy it!".

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
Pick it up today! Woowoo

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 2884
This is what I was planning to get for him

http://www.tesco.com/direct/zycomotion- ... d=497-2811

It looks good and its one of the more expensive ones so thinking (maybe naively) that it will stand the knocks my son will give it.

Agree with the point that he might get board but hoping I can build some interest over Christmas as my Dad is coming over and he does anything granddad tells him

Bike is part of a general plan to get him doing a bit more including swimming, he loves water but gets pissed off when he can't move himself around.

Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 17960
Location: shropshire, uk
I don't think it matters with a balance bike on the cost, very few moving parts.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 14:32 
User avatar
:3

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 1545
Location: Broseley
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42084
Location: The erogenous zone
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 2884
Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.


I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:48 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 2884
Zardoz wrote:
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.


I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

Also my brothers son is getting swimming lessons and he has been told no arm bands when he takes his son outside of the lessons, he gives him a blow up ring instead.

Still some way to go for both for my son!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:20 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 2884
MaliA wrote:
I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.


We can't use this swimming instructor as she only teaches when he is in nursery, so plan is to call another pool close by. No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me, but he will do what another adult tells him as long as I'm sat in the viewing area. He goes to a gym type class on a Thursday and parents have to sit in a viewing area, he always does as he is told in this class.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 17960
Location: shropshire, uk
asfish wrote:
Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.


I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o



yes I pay £30 for 45mins for 1 2 1 for me

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42084
Location: The erogenous zone
asfish wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.


I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

They weren't on for long, just long enough for them to get used to the whole peddling thing. If I remember correctly both my kids learnt how to ride without stabilisers at 4 years old.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11258
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
asfish wrote:
No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me

Just tell him it'll turn you purple.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:03 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1517
Location: Kashyyyk
For balance bike to pedals transition I recommend a bikybiky vest (on phone, you'll have to google it). About 4 hours with this and you can eBay it in my experience. It's good for getting them used to balance bikes too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:23 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42084
Location: The erogenous zone
Good for getting them used to the idea of being taken by eagles too.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 18:11 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1517
Location: Kashyyyk
Important, that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 20:02 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:04 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 17960
Location: shropshire, uk
MaliA wrote:
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem



I like that.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:30 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Number 6 if you don't include the tandem



I like that.


It looks quite smart. Once I strip the reflectors off and stick SPDs on it, it'll be better. It's 140mm travel, apparently.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 13828
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:48 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41613
Location: West Yorkshire
markg wrote:
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.


Shape of saddle makes them comfy, not padding.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:07 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 31531
markg wrote:
Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.

Classic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42084
Location: The erogenous zone
I were right about that saddle though.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], The Greys, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.