Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:22 

DavPaz wrote:
Was Dredd a remake? Reboot, maybe. Excellent, certainly.

Neither really was it? Just a totally separate adaptation.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It's not a remake. Ash goes back to the shack in the woods recalling what happened there last time, they just remade the memory bits.

FTFY

It's about 5% of the film.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:55 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Cras wrote:
New Dredd was good. And I loved old Dredd

Like the new Dredd, was not keen on the old Dredd

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

There is no 'old' Dredd movie...didn't happen, doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 
Master of dodgy spelling....

markg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Was Dredd a remake? Reboot, maybe. Excellent, certainly.

Neither really was it? Just a totally separate adaptation.

Yes if anything it was set earlier in the Dredd universe as Anderson was a cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Morte wrote:

You shut your whore mouth

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:36 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The Wicker Man.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 14:24 

The Force Awakens.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 14:28 

Every single fucking Marvel film.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 14:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

markg wrote:
Every single fucking Marvel film.

:this: I was going to say something similar earlier today… perhaps without the cussing.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 15:11 
Gogmagog

Taken

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 23:42 
Unpossible!

Do yourself a favour and watch A Perfect Getaway. It's a great little thriller with a fine cast. It's ace. You don't need to know any more than that. And it's a quid on Google Play.

Go on.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 23:45 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Do yourself a favour and watch A Perfect Getaway. It's a great little thriller with a fine cast. It's ace. You don't need to know any more than that. And it's a quid on Google Play.

Go on.

Yes. It's wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:35 
Excellent Member

Gods of Egypt, lots of great CGI, ok plot, worth a watch if you like this sort of genre

Needless to say my wife was out last night when I watched it :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 

Gods of Egpyt: 12% Rotten Tomatoes, 23% Metacritic.

Uh-huh.

Also subject of this amazing review.

Quote:
Gods of Egypt Review: Murder is Legal and Torture is Mandatory Because This Film Exists

Go ahead, commit cannibalism! Slaughter your neighbours and feast on their still-warm flesh. Nobody can judge you, because the mere existence of the film Gods of Egypt has dissolved all social contracts, and eliminated forever all concepts of good and evil.

The moment I walked out of a screening of Gods of Egypt, I set about building a massive throne out of human pelvises. I worked feverishly through the night, barely pausing to listen to the sounds of the city fracturing into seven brutal revels: a chainsaw maze, a great pit full of vengeful lobsters, a poisoned rave, and so on. As I climbed at last atop my pelvic majesty, I had a perfect view of the inundation of viscera that had turned the very streets into canals: For even if nobody else ever saw this movie, its very existence was enough to sunder every human relation for once and ever. There could be no language, no society, no kindness, after Gods of Egypt.

How did this happen? Why didn’t somebody involved with the creation of Gods of Egypt realise what they were setting in motion, and that this movie was not just bad, but obscenely, devastatingly bad? I wondered this the whole time I was watching Gods of Egypt.

I’m going to give you a spoiler warning here, even though spoilers are a concept that belongs to the old order, before the rise of the murderpocalypse.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
So Gods of Egypt is loosely based on Egyptian mythology, if the Egyptian gods were mostly white people who could turn into animal robots, sort of like Transformers. Basically, director Alex Proyas and his crew tried to turn the ancient beliefs of the Egyptians into a standard action-adventure movie, full of wacky set pieces and wild romps. And they wound up something that actually makes a river of entrails seem totally reasonable.

This movie starts when the god Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from Game of Thrones) is about to be crowned King of Egypt—until his uncle, the evil god Set (Gerard Butler), overthrows him. To get back his power and reclaim the throne, Horus must work with a plucky human thief named Bek (Brenton Thwaites) to pass a bunch of tests, with a little help from the sun god, Ra (Geoffrey Rush.) So yeah, it’s a buddy comedy about a god and a mortal teaming up to save the world and stuff—which could actually have been good, in theory.

In fact, in theory, this movie could have been awesome—generally any film with giant fire-breathing snakes, huge scarab-drawn chariots and holy spaceships is automatically great, in my book. But instead, Gods of Egypt squanders all of its incredible potential.

Gods of Egypt has been justly criticised for its policy of casting white people as almost all of its Egyptian characters—to the point where it might be the first movie whose director apologised months before it was released. But the casting is just one of the many problems that eat away at this movie, which seems to have fed slices of Egyptian cultural traditions into a typical Hollywood “Save the Cat Goddess” structure, to try and create something familiar and comfort-foody, with an exotic veneer.Murder Is Legal and Torture Is Mandatory, Because Gods of Egypt Exists

The result is a movie in which nothing particularly makes sense. The stakes are completely unclear, and the moment that you think you have a handle on what’s going on, the movie lurches off in another direction. The actors stand around in front of greenscreens, saying terrible dialogue that they know is meaningless, and none of it carries any weight at all. This is also the umpteenth movie I’ve seen lately that has 90 minutes of action padded out to over two hours.

Bek, the movie’s ostensible main character, is supposed to be desperately in love with a mortal woman named Zaya (Courtney Eaton) who dies early on—so Bek is helping Horus in the hope that the god-king can bring Zaya back from the aferlife. But Zaya’s death puts barely a dent in Bek’s chipper action hero banter, and he just carries on leaping from CG obstacle to CG obstacle, while saying things like, “roll the bones!”

Meanwhile, every few minutes, the movie asks us to care about stakes-raising weird ideas like, “Set has changed the rules of the afterlife!” and “Set has stolen the glowing blue brain of the only black person in the movie!” At the same time, you don’t get the impression that any of the human characters actually worships these gods or considers them more than just oversized people with random powers.

But the result of taking all this grand metaphysical weirdness and putting it into a formulaic action-movie template is to create a movie where nothing means anything, but the film keeps dragging you from set piece to set piece every few minutes anyway. This isn’t just a film where it’s impossible to care, but one that negates the very idea of giving a shit.

And that brings us to the central problem of Gods of Egypt—this movie can’t manage to find an interesting tone. At all. It’s either a comedy, in which there’s exactly one funny line of dialogue, or it’s a breezy action-adventure romp in which the characters are unlikable and the plot is mush, or it’s a semi-serious epic about the struggle of the gods. The overwhelming tone is one of blandness, like a rejected Disney Channel TV movie starring the younger brother from Hannah Montana and one of the less gifted wizards of Waverly Place.

And meanwhile, this movie’s aesthetic is a weird mixture of Egyptology pastiche and VFX overkill. As I mentioned, the Egyptian gods are sort of like off-label Transformers. Their fights, for the most part, look pretty awfully rendered, with a lot of bits that look like 90s video games. And the film’s aesthetic is pretty much a solid gold—all the buildings are gold, the gods are blinged out, and they bleed gold blood.

And one of the film’s most interesting visual innovations turns out to be its greatest liability: all of the gods, including Jaime Lannister, are much bigger than ordinary humans. Like, maybe 10 or 12 feet tall, I’m guessing. This yields a few startling shots early on in the film, but also means that at no point can the actors just be in a scene together, without everything being rendered digitally. I have a feeling that’s one reason for the utter lack of chemistry or personality in any of this movie’s character-building moments.

This movie feels like a dull, joyless monument to excess and cultural exploitation.

I’m just going to repeat the word “joyless” a few more times—joyless, joyless, joyless—while reminding you that I’m writing this review on a computer keyboard that I fashioned out of the fingernails and ribs of my former best friends. (The keyboard’s not connected to anything; I’m not even sure how you’re reading this, to be honest.) I love an over-the-top bad movie as much as the next Joe Bob Briggs acolyte, but Gods of Egypt is just too fucking bland—even with Gerard Butler shouting his heart out in a few scenes—to be anything but brain-compacting.

That said, there are a handful of incredibly beautiful images, that leave you with a sense of just why anybody thought this film was a good idea at all. At one point, when we first visit the spaceship belonging to Geoffrey Rush’s Ra, there’s a stunning visual of the flat Earth that Ra is sailing over. A few bits inside the land of the dead are also just gorgeous. You can sort of see how someone might have seen a few of those renders, early on, and thought this might be a distinctive, even eye-popping, film.

But for the most part, Gods of Egypt feels like such an abdication of story, and such a bastardisation of culture, that the only sane response is to abandon sanity, and enlist in the murder-police of the senseless new era. As I write this from atop my pelvic cathedral in a world of unspeakable mayhem, I testify that Gods of Egypt has liberated us all.

You do not need to see this movie to know that you live in the world it created. Mercy is a cast-off from the time before the coming of Gods of Egypt.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sounds brilliant. How does it score on the Craster scale?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 
Excellent Member

Quote:

Uh-huh.

Differing opinion's about a film, what are the chances? :smug:

I tend to go with what I think rather than a couple of critic websites, but each to their own.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No no, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are aggregators. That's not a couple of critic websites, that's all the critic websites.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Cras wrote:
Morte wrote:

You shut your whore mouth

THERE IS ONLY ONE DREDD MOVIE

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:49 

asfish wrote:
Quote:

Uh-huh.

Differing opinion's about a film, what are the chances? :smug:

I tend to go with what I think rather than a couple of critic websites, but each to their own.

Obviously you're going to go with what you think given that you've already seen it but based on the fact that it's been universally panned everywhere else I think I'll be ignoring your recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
No no, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are aggregators. That's not a couple of critic websites, that's all the critic websites.

Never look at them to be honest, if was going to spend £20 on cinema tickets then ok. Downloading you just delete it and move on if its that bad.

I do look at the IDMB score though.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 16:38 
UltraMod

Also there were loads of white people in ancient Egypt apparently.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 19:14 
Excellent Painter

Lonewolves wrote:

I'm surprised you noticed

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 0:26 
Can you dig it?

DBSnappa wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You better check your pyramids

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 
Sleepyhead

Sir Taxalot wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:

Also some of the most powerful Gods has Irish accents!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:49 

Curiosity wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

:DD

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 14:19 
Goth

Yesterday I saw X-Men: Apocalypse which I thought was actually quite good. Desperately needed Deadpool to turn up and make fun of all the posing on hilltops though. I actually liked it more than Captain America Civil War.

I also saw Sing Street which was kind of ok but did have some historical inaccuracy - Duran Duran's Rio on TOTP in 1985? Not likely. Same with Spandau Ballet's GOLD. And almost every song they played. The image of the teens seemed to more represent 1981-1983, not 85. But anyway aside from that it seemed a fairly standard drama of 'coming of age' type stuff and how you can win over bullies etc. Passed the time but didn't excite me like it seems to have with everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 18:13 

The Big Short: fantastic, witty, and ultimately really depressing. Superb cast with superb performances from everyone. Strongly recommend.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 20:07 
Soopah red DS

Yeah, agree on all points, just watched it last night.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 20:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Indeed, but it's not quite as big on FACTS as you might like though.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ong-213535

viewtopic.php?p=902378#p902378

But yes, doesn't stop it being an awesome film though.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 21:32 

That's fair. (The book is better, as I recall; some got lost in the screenplay.)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 23:03 
Soopah red DS

Yeah, but I liked the occasional turns to camera and 'this isn't quite what happened' or 'this is what he actually said'. You could see that as an attempt to suggest everything else is true, but to me they were a good way to say 'remember this is a dramatisation', and fun in themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whoo!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Two recent watches on Netflix.

BOUND - I remember there being a bit of a kerfuffle about this one back in the day but I've never seen it. (It's from 1996.) It's also by the Wachowskis from before they turned into women or made The Matrix. It's a noir crime thriller sort of thing but with added sexy lesbians (which is the best kind of lesbians).

It's a great film, really tightly made, very tense and exciting. Quite sweary and violent and lesbiany too. Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon pretend to be lesbians and finger each other so I liked this aspect of the film a lot - although I think they may have used body doubles for that bit.

Also a big role for Joe Pantoliano who's really good in it. In fact the whole cast is good, and no one does anything stupid either, which is what usually happens in this sort of film to push things along.

Deffo worth checking out on Netflix.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS - This is from 1978 and has the better of the Sutherlands in it (i.e. Donald instead of torture-happy pretend CIA goon Keifer), and a young Jeff Goldblum who plays Jeff Goldblum to perfection. Also Leanord Nimoy who works very hard to not be Spock. Also Brooke Adams who eventually gives the film a 'one' on the Craster scale.

Obviously it's a product of its time in a lot of ways, you can see Nixon themes in it and suchlike, but I really enjoyed it.

Genuinely quite creepy in places, and a surprising moment of head-popping violence too, although it was a clone so not technically a human head being popped.

I recommend this film.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 13:14 
Excellent Member

I love the 70's Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The 50's version is also tops, but the 70's is my fave one. It's the creepiest film I've ever seen and it's all in the sound, that ambient, throbbing, pulsating sound that really begins to get to you. That bit with the man and his dog too.

When I worked in Cardiff Central Library I worked with a woman who looked a bit like an older Brooke Adams. I was telling her about this film and that crazy bit where Brooke Adams makes her eyes go all googly, the pupils spinning around. "What, like this?" she said and did EXACTLY the same thing. It was incredible. But yes, everybody see this film. It's on Netflix I believe.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 13:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes it's on Netflix as per the intro to my post Pete :)

There was an 'article' on the Telegraph website the other week, the best films on Netflix UK. (I say 'article' because it's probably one of those advertorial things.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/20 ... etflix-uk/

I'm just looking through the list and picking films I like the sound of when I have film-sized time gap to fill of an evening.

It's good because I'm watching films I wouldn't have sought out for myself, and in the case of both BOUND and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, came up trumps in fine style with two really good films I've never seen before.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 20:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Tonight's Netflix film was the documentary 'THE HOUSE I LIVE IN.'

It's about the war on drugs and how absurd it is. The basic message is arguably nothing new but there's some really good historical context in there as well as some breathtakingly tragic current examples.

Also lots of input from David Simon (the dude who created 'The Wire'), and many other erudite commentators.

Very well put together, and a fine watch, although it's one of those things that ends up being desperately upsetting with just how fucking stupid the current setup is, including some chilling historical analogies towards the end.

On Netflix UK. Watch it if you haven't seen it already.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:29 
Esoteric

I watched it over two nights. Fell asleep the first night, though not through boredom (it was late and I'd taken my sleeping pills). Watched the second half last night.

I thought it was good. Shows how stupid and hypocritical the system is. Esp when they asked that cop what they did with the money and cars they'd confiscated and he said "I bought this police car with it" without even flinching.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 
Hello pretty, pretty

Grim... wrote:
Whoo!

YES! Will they get David Hasselhoff to do the theme song again? One can only hope.

Did you watch Delicatessen after I drunkenly insisted you download it?

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have ("gone to a store and legitimately purchased" - Ed) it! I've not watched it yet, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 13:24 
Hello pretty, pretty

Grim... wrote:
I have ("gone to a store and legitimately purchased" - Ed) it! I've not watched it yet, though.

Excellent.

Twitch | Twitter | Steam | PSN | Switch: 4691-7706-7792

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 20:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
YEAH TURTLES FUCK OFF HATERS TURTLES!

Seen it. It was pretty awful.

I loved it :D

They even play the theme song over the closing credits!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 20:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:
To one of your points there, I will happily say this to any remake/re-imagining/reboot/sequel to any film ever, especially those with particular cult appeal.

JUST PLAY THE FUCKING TUNE. I mostly don't care what you do with the rest of the film, as long as at some point you do your fucking job, and play the fucking tune. At which point I can go "fuck yeah!" and the film is immediately brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 21:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

To be fair Grim... That trailer makes it look awesome! I'd watch it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Rogue One is apparently in a bit of bother: http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-o ... mcquarrie/

40% reshoots six months before release? Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:07 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Rogue One is apparently in a bit of bother: http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-o ... mcquarrie/

The article seems pretty positive about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:10 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

The article seems pretty positive about it.

That's what I thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I fear the article hasn't given it a massive amount of thought, then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:20 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I fear the article hasn't given it a massive amount of thought, then.

It...seems to. Reshoots are incredibly common.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 422  Next