Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:08 

I didn't know what this film was about when I watched it as I had never heard of it at the time. I had a Buyer's copy from work, and bought it home as I quite like DiCaprio. I had no knowledge of this person prior to watching the film and have not read anything about him after the fact, but as far as the movie itself goes it is absolutely amazing. It's proper top-notch entertainment and outstanding acting. DiCaprio's character is not the 'hero' of the piece: he's a sleazy, lonely person with no real relationships and is vacuous and empty, so you don't come away from the film cheering him on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and as it was a buyer's copy they did not get a penny out of us, AND because it was so good I then passed it on to someone else, and I think it made its way around the office to pretty much everyone after I had watched it AND we decided not to stock it because we tend to do much better on DVDs that are a distress purchase (ones that just keep the kids quiet for an hour) so how's that for sticking it to the man? Muhahahahaha. DiCapro is excellent though. As was the direction. The whole design was awesome, too.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The bit that sticks in my mind is where he is trying to get up the few stairs, but in his drug-fuelled sate the staircase is massive and all over the place. And how he drives back suuuuuper carefully, to get out of a car all smashed to pieces. I think that is one of the greatest realisations of the perception and reality difference of a drunk/drugged person's actions and how they see things.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:08 

Mimi wrote:
I didn't know what this film was about when I watched it as I had never heard of it at the time. I had a Buyer's copy from work, and bought it home as I quite like DiCaprio. I had no knowledge of this person prior to watching the film and have not read anything about him after the fact, but as far as the movie itself goes it is absolutely amazing. It's proper top-notch entertainment and outstanding acting. DiCaprio's character is not the 'hero' of the piece: he's a sleazy, lonely person with no real relationships and is vacuous and empty, so you don't come away from the film cheering him on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and as it was a buyer's copy they did not get a penny out of us, AND because it was so good I then passed it on to someone else, and I think it made its way around the office to pretty much everyone after I had watched it AND we decided not to stock it because we tend to do much better on DVDs that are a distress purchase (ones that just keep the kids quiet for an hour) so how's that for sticking it to the man? Muhahahahaha. DiCapro is excellent though. As was the direction. The whole design was awesome, too.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The bit that sticks in my mind is where he is trying to get up the few stairs, but in his drug-fuelled sate the staircase is massive and all over the place. And how he drives back suuuuuper carefully, to get out of a car all smashed to pieces. I think that is one of the greatest realisations of the perception and reality difference of a drunk/drugged person's actions and how they see things.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:10 

What the heck is happenings? :S

Did I edit myself instead of quote? My first post disappeared. I think I messed it up.

Sorry. The bigger post was first but now it is all behind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:16 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:22 
Paws for thought

I agree with Mimi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:25 
UltraMod

I agree with Mimi's first post but not her second.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:25 
Excellent Painter

I agree with Kermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 16:31 
Gogmagog

Kermit is the patriarchy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 18:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

All he cares about is keeping the theatre open, it's not about the art for him. Ultimate capitalist, he is all about the green.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 18:54 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I just explained that the guy is a prick, who lived and continues to live a lavish lifestyle, while laughing at the people he screwed over. I don't want to watch a film that gives him more money and shows how awesome it is to be like that. Maybe I'm just not right wing enough to enjoy it

The film portrays him as a shameless junkie who rips people off, fucks all his friends over and beats up his wife. I now know that actually having seen the film should make no difference but I still have to say that the one I saw is somewhat at odds with the version that only exists inside your fucking head.

He does all these things, and has a great time doing it. And in the end he wins; a short jail sentence and he gets to still be rich as fuck. And it's real. And he is currently living the life of a millionaire and 'life coaching' people to do the same sort of shit.

You're the first person I know to have seen the film and taken from it that he didn't (some bad moments aside) have an amazing fucking time whilst screwing people over.

The trailer and reviews must really have misrepresented this movie. I didn't know it was a harrowing, grim take about how awful it is to be rich and popular by fucking everyone over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not watching his movie isn't going to change that, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:18 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

No, but watching him will annoy the fuck out of me; hence I would rather not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:37 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

It's not going to help either, and in some small way contributes to his success (assuming you watch it legally).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 19:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's not going to help either, and in some small way contributes to his success (assuming you watch it legally).

That's not strictly true, he doesn't get any share of takings/sales. He got a payout to provide the autobiographical information needed to make it, and he's profiting certainly from his business being publicised, but somebody watching the film doesn't make him any money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 20:05 
Bad Girl

Are you 100% on that? The screenplay was adapted from the memoir by the scumbag, which might suggest that the rights may include points on the door. I'm not saying your wrong or right (unless you know better than me), as presumably it's a matter of contract we won't know about. But even if it doesn't, I bet the film increased the sale of the book and this guy has made himself "mad profits yo."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 20:09 
Bad Girl

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... rts-669917

This says he didn't get royalties and was paid a milli. Still, what a douche.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 20:48 

Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I just explained that the guy is a prick, who lived and continues to live a lavish lifestyle, while laughing at the people he screwed over. I don't want to watch a film that gives him more money and shows how awesome it is to be like that. Maybe I'm just not right wing enough to enjoy it

The film portrays him as a shameless junkie who rips people off, fucks all his friends over and beats up his wife. I now know that actually having seen the film should make no difference but I still have to say that the one I saw is somewhat at odds with the version that only exists inside your fucking head.

He does all these things, and has a great time doing it. And in the end he wins; a short jail sentence and he gets to still be rich as fuck. And it's real. And he is currently living the life of a millionaire and 'life coaching' people to do the same sort of shit.

You're the first person I know to have seen the film and taken from it that he didn't (some bad moments aside) have an amazing fucking time whilst screwing people over.

The trailer and reviews must really have misrepresented this movie. I didn't know it was a harrowing, grim take about how awful it is to be rich and popular by fucking everyone over.

The morality of the film has precisely fuck all to do with what sort of time he's having, it's about what kind of opinion the viewer is invited to make of it all. But I'm done arguing with you because you're acting like a fucking idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 20:57 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I watched Wolf on Wall Street. It was alright. Too long but then so was the flight I was on. I certainly didn't consider him to be a hero though.

Anyway, unless you've read the book you may be acting a little harsh. With DiCaprio playing the lead the original story was probably that he was a fine upstanding member of the community who did his best to curb everyone's excesses AND NEVER ACTUALLY FUCKED ANY OF THE LEAD CHARACTERS, but had a contractual clause to change the storyline so that he was edgy and cool and WHAT THE SHIT WAS THE COMPUTER GAME SCENE ALL ABOUT I FUCKING HATE DANNY BOYLE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 20:58 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm in the haven't watched The Wolf of Wall Street camp, and that's a deliberate decision for pretty much the same reasons already listed here.

At some point I probably will watch it (I'm not a total refusenik on the film), but whenever it crosses my mind to finally get round to watching it a relay somewhere in my brain trips and I pass, and I suspect it's because (1) We already know full well what this lot were up in the 80s, 90s and 00s - and we know where it ended up. Then (2), as I understand it the film doesn't really condemn the protagonist in the final analysis, plus of course, he basically got away with it in real life too and is still fucking laughing his arse off.

Like I said, I'll watch it at some point and make my own mind up, (mostly because I love Scorsese and DiCaprio has ended up really good too), but I can totally understand the perspective of folks who just think it'll piss them off too much to even press the play button to start with.

In fact, I will watch the film sooner rather than later, this has all piqued my interest somewhat. And I can't imagine Scorsese being an apologist for Jordan Belfort. I really hope he isn't.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:02 

Why do people keep saying DiCaprio ended up a really good actor? He started off a really good actor. His performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries are amazing, even if you aren't taking into account his incredible youth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:06 

Hearthly wrote:
Like I said, I'll watch it at some point and make my own mind up, .

Don't do that, just decide what you think and then tell anyone who enjoyed it that they're obviously not as fucking right on as you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:28 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That's not strictly true, he doesn't get any share of takings/sales. He got a payout to provide the autobiographical information needed to make it, and he's profiting certainly from his business being publicised, but somebody watching the film doesn't make him any money.

I deliberately chose the phrases 'in some small way' and 'contributes to his success' precisely because I'm not making any claim about a direct link between someone watching the film and his wallet. There are indirect forces though, yours being a good example, which people might care about if they're morally disgusted by his success. Which everyone really should be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:29 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
Why do people keep saying DiCaprio ended up a really good actor? He started off a really good actor. His performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries are amazing, even if you aren't taking into account his incredible youth.

Titanic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:32 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Titanic.

Was made after the films I cited.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Titanic.

And he acted just fine in that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:38 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Titanic.

But that was most people's first exposure to him, and rightly or wrongly the film gets a lot of criticism and he suffers by association.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 21:59 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Titanic.

But that was most people's first exposure to him, and rightly or wrongly the film gets a lot of criticism and he suffers by association.

Yes, as career decisions go it was sink or swim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 0:05 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Don't do that, just decide what you think and then tell anyone who enjoyed it that they're obviously not as fucking right on as you are.

You're really taking this personally that some of us don't want to watch it. It's just a film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:32 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The morality of the film has precisely fuck all to do with what sort of time he's having, it's about what kind of opinion the viewer is invited to make of it all. But I'm done arguing with you because you're acting like a fucking idiot.

Yes, I'm a complete fucking idiot for not wanting to watch a movie that will annoy me.

Can you tell me what I want for lunch tomorrow too?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:49 

Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You're really taking this personally that some of us don't want to watch it. It's just a film.

"I'm not right wing enough to enjoy it" etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

"I'm not right wing enough to enjoy it" etc.

Well, obviously that's far worse than repeatedly calling someone a fucking idiot for not wanting to watch a film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 

I said you were "acting like a fucking idiot" with specific regard to your opining wrong-headedly about a film you haven't even seen, so yeah it is worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:11 
UltraMod

Do you need to watch a snuff film to know it's not for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:32 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
I said you were "acting like a fucking idiot" with specific regard to your opining wrong-headedly about a film you haven't even seen, so yeah it is worse.

Apart from I wasn't doing that.

Maybe if you're a good person (meaning you) then the movie plays out differently in terms of what you take out of it. But I know for damn sure that duck loads of people in the city, where I work, took it as an aspirational thing. Being the guy who's smart enough to manipulate others to get that rich and get that lifestyle? Amazing! Lose your friends and family and get fucked up on drugs? That's fine! Spend a bit of time in prison but are still a millionaire afterwards? Totally worth it!

It's likely a good film. If I saw it normally I'm almost sure I would like it. I'm just unable to take it like that now. It's a failing of mine, but I'll get too annoyed during it and it will upset me. Or if I don't, then I'll end up hating myself for other reasons.

So I'll give it a miss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36 

Lonewolves wrote:
Do you need to watch a snuff film to know it's not for you?

No.

But to get back to the subject at hand I would not need to see a controversial film by a really good director before deciding whether I could be bothered with it. However I certainly would need to see it before going into detail and telling people who had seen it stuff like this:
Curiosity wrote:
I've also not watched it, and won't, on the account that it is massively glorifying an absolute cunt of a man who has never shown any contrition and got away with living an incredible life with extremely limited punishment. This film in itself continues to allow him to make money at the expense of others. It's just laughing in the face of those whose lives he has ruined.

In a similar vein, I would find it difficult to watch a movie in which a real life murderer was the 'hero', if outside of the movie they continued to laugh it up and live the high life because of the killing they performed.

Or, in a more fiscal sense, a movie about the current government, if it showed them laughing at people dying due to their cuts and austerity measures, but they were the heroes.

They aren't the heroes, everyone else on here has said the same. If I thought that we were supposed to be admiring him, which is what Curiosity says here, then I would think it was well off and would have come away not liking it at all. But having actually seen the film I don't believe this is the point, at all. Indeed I think it's the exact fucking opposite of the point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:47 

Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:

Maybe if you're a good person (meaning you) then the movie plays out differently in terms of what you take out of it. But I know for damn sure that duck loads of people in the city, where I work, took it as an aspirational thing. Being the guy who's smart enough to manipulate others to get that rich and get that lifestyle? Amazing! Lose your friends and family and get fucked up on drugs? That's fine! Spend a bit of time in prison but are still a millionaire afterwards? Totally worth it!

It's likely a good film. If I saw it normally I'm almost sure I would like it. I'm just unable to take it like that now. It's a failing of mine, but I'll get too annoyed during it and it will upset me. Or if I don't, then I'll end up hating myself for other reasons.

So I'll give it a miss.

Well there's really no accounting for that, just like some people didn't realise Alf Garnett was meant to be awful, or someone might watch Hannibal and decide that being a serial killer looks like a fun thing to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:

Big Apple Hot Dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:10 

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Big Apple Hot Dogs.

Bleecker.

::clique-glares::

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Yes, I'm a complete fucking idiot for not wanting to watch a movie that will annoy me.

Soup...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

KovacsC wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Soup...

Nuts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote the bit you're replying to, you lazy buggers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:29 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Quote the bit you're replying to, you lazy buggers.

Waffles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 13:23 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:

So I'll give it a miss.

Well there's really no accounting for that, just like some people didn't realise Alf Garnett was meant to be awful, or someone might watch Hannibal and decide that being a serial killer looks like a fun thing to do.

Yeah, I know, but it still tarnishes it for me, especially given how Belfort ended up rich and largely unrepentant, so no matter that he's portrayed as a dick, he still ultimately has 'won' (depending on your rules, obv). The people who think like him and act like him and do see him as a hero (but all consider themselves as smarter, so don't believe the bad parts will happen to them) will sadly continue to be successful and run the country, and U guess I'm not in the right frame of mind to be seeing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 17:49 
Noob as of 6/8/10

And now for something completely different. My favourite film theme tune for absolutely aeons is Legend

It's a toss up between this and the closing theme from Steve Poliakov's 'Tribe' for the music for my funeral.

Bollocks - link not working, hence URL instead..... As you were, I suck at the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:44 
Can you dig it?

Cockneys Vs zombies: surprisingly entertaining, enjoyably corny and over the top but with enough humour to not take itself too seriously.

Strippers Vs werewolves: Other than the 'ooh were they in: hollyoaks, eastenders or what?' game it was very boring. Fell asleep. Some boobs and bums can't save this tripe. Avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Cockneys Vs zombies: surprisingly entertaining, enjoyably corny and over the top but with enough humour to not take itself too seriously.

Also: Michelle Ryan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:52 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Also: Michelle Ryan.

Indeed, that was by far the best thing about it. I wonder what ever happened to her? I thought she was really good in the Bionic Woman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:14 
Soopah red DS

Steve Jobs: does a decent job of not overhyping each product - not glossing over the mac's failure etc. - possibly at the expense of a story. I was still gripped, I'm just not sure why, I suppose the performances. The conceits they've used are Jobs' relationship with the daughter he denies, and product launches - we don't see the launches themselves, but the build up, which gives a chance for Jobs to meet Scully, or Woz, or whoever, and talk things out. On a small screen you might get distracted and lose interest, but I enjoyed it, if the ending seemed a bit arbitrary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 15:24 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Would you watch something about racism? I am genuinely curious.

I read this article today and then remembered this question you asked. Might be interesting reading for you.

http://jezebel.com/im-so-damn-tired-of- ... l_facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 14:39 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Watched the Hateful Eight last night, very disappointing, a three hour film in which not much of anything happens...even the trademark Tarantino dialogue seemed absent.

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 423  Next