Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 23:01 
Best
Board Mother

We just watched 21 jump street. Almost as funny as watching Joans make popcorn!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:03 
Excellent Member

Interstellar was pure cinema.
Lots to debate, looked gorgeous, McConnoughey was class as always.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Gremlins reboot is coming, along with a Goonies sequel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 0:19 
Bad Girl

So I've been watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (nowhere near as good as the one before it) and there's been times when I simply couldn't tell what was CGI and what was actually there. It "must" have been a combination at times but if some of the scenes I thought were real were actually CGI then it was breathtaking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:09 

Have you seen Gravity? That takes the cake for photo-real CGI for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:47 
Awesome
Yes

Or Boardwalk Empire.

There's practically no set!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 
EvilTrousers

Went to see Interstellar in IMAX last night.

Didn't drag despite the run time and resisted the temptation to do a Dr Who ending. I really enjoyed it and it threw a few surprises at me.

I want a TARS though. Someone get me a TARS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 

Mr Russell wrote:
Or Boardwalk Empire.

There's practically no set!

I thought they built pretty much the whole boardwalk?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 

Re: Boardwalk Empire: http://vimeo.com/34678075

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:14 
Excellent Member

I saw Interstellar the other day and it was alright. Looked and sounds lovely (the soundtrack is fucking awesome) and was very well acted but bits of it annoyed me.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
  • The bit near the start where Cooper first comes across the NASA facility and the writers use Michael Caine's face to dump a metric fuckton of science-y exposition on the viewer in about five minutes flat. I know it needed to be done at some level to set everything up but Jesus Christ was it clumsy as fuck.
  • Talking of that bit: so NASA needs a good pilot and Cooper lives just down the fucking road and the head of the team even knows him personally. But rather than reach out to him they're going to send up some completely inexperienced folks and just wait to see if he manages to stumble across their super-secret facility? Fuck off.
  • I'm wondering if I'm missing something important about the mechanic that saves the day because it just didn't make sense to me. So while Cooper's in the tesseract he can use gravity to manipulate objects in his Murph's room. Fine. But after he buggers about with the second hand of the watch a bit she takes it away and is seen noting down the sequence back in what I presume to be the NASA facility. The thing is that as soon as she removes the watch from the room his gravity changes are no longer going to have any effect on the watch so it's either going to resume ticking like normal or the mechanism's going to be totally fucked because he's been pushing it around; it's certainly not going to somehow magically carry on following his 'programming' because there's no longer any special gravitation force acting on it. That was all local to her bedroom. And that's not even touching on the fact that he'd have a ludicrous amount of data from the black hole to send which would not only take him fucking years to encode on the watch but much of which would probably be impossible to even represent in morse code as it doesn't have a sequence for advanced mathematical characters.
  • There seemed to be a big assumption that the magical black hole data would obviously just fix stuff and that would be that. At the point Cooper sends the data the human race is basically a few years away from starvation and suddenly everything's awesome, but why? What did they do with the data and how did they do it so quickly? I am willing to accept it but it would've been nice for them to have set up some specific problem that the data solved to wrap things up a bit.
  • Cooper and Murph have spent a literal lifetime trying to get back to each other and the instant they do she sends him away five minutes later. She's old and probably dying so why not spend that time getting to know her and then leave? It was just a bit weird and seemed really fucking shoehorned in just so they could send him off to see Anne Hathaway.

I'm sure there was other stuff that bothered me but those are the main things. I mean I enjoyed it and everything, some of the sequences on the planets were incredibly impressive and to me it nailed the idea of time relativity very well, but I struggled to suspend my disbelief at times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:19 
EvilTrousers

I would agree with a lot of that. Especially the exposition bit.

Would also add;

MATT DAMON - "Hello I am a baddie" was obvious from practically the second you meet him. And I'm really not sure what happened with the explosion there - did he rig it? If so what if he was stood outside and someone was messing with it?

It was redeemed by him getting blown to shit mid speech though - I admit I shat myself a lot there.

I am finding that these days, however, nobody really seems to bother about actually making a plot hang together properly. The visual spectacle is enough misdirection for you to not think too hard at the time. I blame Dr Who.

The Editing Room scripts are usually excellent for pointing out plot holes that you haven't even considered.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
And I'm really not sure what happened with the explosion there - did he rig it? If so what if he was stood outside and someone was messing with it?

Yeah, I assumed he's rigged the robot with some kind of explosiveness. Which seemed like a weird and stupid thing to do for a number of reasons. Not least the fact that it would've just been easier for him to admit that he's faked the data. They'd think he was a total asshole but it's unlikely they'd actually kill him or leave him behind or anything. No, it's obviously much better to have to murder people and blow shit up and do a whole load of idiotic dangerous stuff instead.

Trousers wrote:
I am finding that these days, however, nobody really seems to bother about actually making a plot hang together properly. The visual spectacle is enough misdirection for you to not think too hard at the time.

I'd agree with this; the majority of the time I come away from a film having enjoyed it for what it was but without any feeling of coherence. Most often it's less about plot holes and more about characters spending some amount of time acting in stupid or illogical ways just to move the plot forward rather than behaving in ways match their particular motivations/knowledge/personality. Coincidentally, given the film we're taking about here, the last time I remember thinking that something genuinely hung together well was The Dark Knight Rises.

Oh, and other Interstellar thing that annoyed me:

Love as a force that transcends...something and helps us do...some stuff? Maybe? This came up a few times but was never actually demonstrated to make a difference. Anne Hathaway wanted to go to her boyfriend's planet because she fancied him, which makes sense but doesn't prove or demonstrate anything about the power of love. And Cooper communicated with his daughter using a specially constructed tesseract and an established (in universe) property of gravity. Which part of the love between him and his daughter enabled that particularly?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 17:35 
Excellent Member

Hmmm, something else about Interstellar that someone's just mentioned at work that I don't understand the significance of:

They spend no small amount of time at the start setting up the fact that in-universe everyone believes that the US moon landings were faked in order to encourage the USSR to bankrupt itself 'competing' with them. After doing all that setup though it's never mentioned again; am I missing some important metaphorical reference with that or something?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:23 

Bamba wrote:
Hmmm, something else about Interstellar that someone's just mentioned at work that I don't understand the significance of:

They spend no small amount of time at the start setting up the fact that in-universe everyone believes that the US moon landings were faked in order to encourage the USSR to bankrupt itself 'competing' with them. After doing all that setup though it's never mentioned again; am I missing some important metaphorical reference with that or something?

Surely that's just to
demonstrate that the world has very different priorities now? I read a bit more into it than that though - we don't know anything about the United States other than the fact it's now a largely agrarian society. The teacher refers to Murph's textbook as being a 'Federal' textbook, suggesting the Federal government of the US is no more, which would also perhaps suggest anti-federal US propaganda (such as suggesting some of it's greatest achievements were faked).

I really, really enjoyed the film. Murph pretty much hand-waving Cooper away at the end was the only thing that stuck out as a bit off to me. As for Matt Damon going all murdery, I just put that down to the years of isolation having driven him mad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:37 
Isn't that lovely?

Can you guys put the name of the film in your post when posting spoilers please (outside of the spoiler tag!)?

I was about to expand those last 2, then I remembered it was from a film I hadn't seen that I will probably want to watch in the future.

Thanks

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:37 
UltraMod

Interstellar, maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 15:27 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:
Can you guys put the name of the film in your post when posting spoilers please (outside of the spoiler tag!)?

I was about to expand those last 2, then I remembered it was from a film I hadn't seen that I will probably want to watch in the future.

Thanks

Malc

Those last two posts actually mentioned Interstellar in the clear text so I'm not sure what you want from us. Just engage your brain before clicking stuff maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 15:30 
UltraMod

lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 19:57 
Isn't that lovely?

Wtf I'm an idiot

Sorry guys

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 20:09 
Isn't that lovely?

I can only put it down to the reaaly stressful day at work I had today. So sorry once again

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 21:59 
INFINITE POWAH

I appreciate I'm several years late to the party (yet again) but my word Chronicle is a bit good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:17 
SavyGamer

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I appreciate I'm several years late to the party (yet again) but my word Chronicle is a bit good.

Loses it a little in the third act but yes it is good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Akira with real people, innit?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:09 
Goth

I watched a peculiar little film called The Human Race last night. It's one of those films like Cube and Maze Runner where some people find themselves in a peculiar (and life threatening) situation and they've no idea why or how. This one finds 80 people in zapped into a 'race' where if they stray onto the grass, leave the racing line or try to escape their head explodes. It's partly a statement on how humans can be incredibly horrible to each other and partly just 'this is a cool idea for a film'.

It's pretty low budget but the director clearly has high ambitions and has remarkably found some unknown actors who are all actually capable of acting. It's interesting in that for significant lengths of the film deaf characters take all the screen time. One of the lead characters only has one leg too. Not sure if that was a faked thing or they happened to find an actor with just one leg to do the job.

There is an awful lot of exploding heads and you're kept guessing as to who will survive the whole ordeal throughout most of the film. The ending was possibly a little bit of a minus point, perhaps offering an explanation that we didn't really need but it doesn't detract too much. Overall I found it interesting and enjoyable for the 90 minutes it lasted. Which was quite a surprise really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:20 

Derek The Halls wrote:
Overall I found it interesting and enjoyable for the 90 minutes it lasted. Which was quite a surprise really.

Attachment:
image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:21 
Goth

I paused it for three minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:36 
UltraMod

Derek The Halls wrote:

32!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

I've seen that, thought it was alright. Like you said, the ending was a bit pony.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:38 
Awesome
Yes

American Nervoso wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

32!

Wot?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:45 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

32!

Wot?

Metascore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 15:04 
Awesome
Yes

American Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

32!

Wot?

Metascore.

Oh! Is that out of 100?

I assume Gaywood was making the point that Derek liked it so naturally it would be a terrible film by review score.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 15:08 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
Oh! Is that out of 100?

I assume Gaywood was making the point that Derek liked it so naturally it would be a terrible film by review score.

Yes, and yes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 15:12 

Watched The Rover last night. Starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson it's set in Australia after some unspecific collapse of society. Someone takes Guy Pearce's car and he goes to get it back. Anyway it's an interesting film and much better than that synopsis probably makes it sound.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 16:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

American Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Oh! Is that out of 100?

Yes, and yes.

It's not actually terrible. The story is quite reasonable and the premise is good. It's very low budget though, and some of the acting is atrocious due to that. I imagine a lot of the bit characters were friends of the producers.

32 is very harsh when you take the budget into account, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 16:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Watched The Rover last night. Starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson it's set in Australia after some unspecific collapse of society. Someone takes Guy Pearce's car and he goes to get it back. Anyway it's an interesting film and much better than that synopsis probably makes it sound.

That was pretty good I thought.

The ending was entirely predictable and annoyingly twee though

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 16:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:

Was his car a Rover, then?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 19:43 

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:

You guessed it was his dog in there? Really? Did he even mention the dog?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 21:22 
Excellent Member

Why most horror films are shit these days (sort of)...

I've become a big fan of this blokes video reviews (and his explanation videos of more challenging films like "Enemy") in recent months, despite him being American....

Anyway, here he talks about modern horror films. I was nodding my head A LOT while I watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6KOsePEHs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:

You guessed it was his dog in there? Really? Did he even mention the dog?

The whole section with the dogs in cages in the woman's house was a pretty big hint! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:45 
Goth

Trooper wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Oh! Is that out of 100?

Yes, and yes.

It's not actually terrible. The story is quite reasonable and the premise is good. It's very low budget though, and some of the acting is atrocious due to that. I imagine a lot of the bit characters were friends of the producers.

32 is very harsh when you take the budget into account, I think.

I was viewing it from that perspective. It was a noble effort to do something interesting. Maybe it didn't fully work but it tried and that's the most important thing. And for the budget it achieved far more than it should have done. I think most of the acting was pretty good but yes not everyone was up to standard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:53 
Can you dig it?

Quite enjoyed Fury, but at times it felt like the film wasn't sure whether it wanted to glorify war or condemn the horror.

I wouldn't say it was harrowing but some parts certainly made for uncomfortable viewing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 23:52 
Interstellar is a bit good isn't it. Robots are awesome.

Also watched Snowpiercer today too. Thoroughly enjoyable train romp.

The East is a good watch too, I think I love Brit Marling especially after Another Earth too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 13:20 

Off to see Interstellar tonight. It's in "4K" apparently. What resolution are films normally at in modern cinemas? I'd have thought they'd need to be that sort of size anyway for the big screen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 13:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"It depends".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 13:28 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Off to see Interstellar tonight. It's in "4K" apparently. What resolution are films normally at in modern cinemas? I'd have thought they'd need to be that sort of size anyway for the big screen.

Obviously back when it was analogue film you couldn't measure in pixels, but digital projectors have been mostly 1080p up until very recently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 14:21 
SavyGamer

Speaking of, I gather that the imax in Manchester is going to be getting rid of their analogue projecting equipment once the run of Interstellar has concluded, which is a bit sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 14:38 

American Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

Obviously back when it was analogue film you couldn't measure in pixels, but digital projectors have been mostly 1080p up until very recently.

Surprising, for some reason I would have thought that would look a bit rubbish on a cinema screen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 14:53 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

Surprising, for some reason I would have thought that would look a bit rubbish on a cinema screen.

It does a bit, doesn't it? Don't get up too close. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 15:06 
Unpossible!

The bit rate is significantly higher in cinemas so there are no compression artifacts to spot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 15:10 
Isn't that lovely?

Also, you're sitting further away, so it doesn't matter so much, that the "pixels" (or whatever they are called when they are on a screen!) are so big.

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 21125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 423  Next