Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 
Hibernating Druid

I've not seen that. Doe's she parade around in umpteen fetish outfits?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 
Ready for action

Enough was also a fairly enjoyable film, that was J-lo eh?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 
Unpossible!

Mr Chris wrote:
When you say "apparently", is this "apparently" like the "apparantly" available Wolverine thingy that you "apparently" watched?

Well, yes. Since i did watch wolverine and reviewed it on this very forum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wasn't it completely greenscreen or something though - before the CGI had been added?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 
INFINITE POWAH

MrDavPaz wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
When you say "apparently", is this "apparently" like the "apparantly" available Wolverine thingy that you "apparently" watched?

Well, yes. Since i did watch wolverine and reviewed it on this very forum

Indeed. I was wondering, perhaps a little too obtusely, whether your "apparently" meant that you had seen said original cut of DH4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 
Unpossible!

ah, alas, no. I read about it on tvtropes. It might be on the us dvd deluxe edition, maybe.

I'll search later when the network techs switch the fucking network back on, cba tapping on my phone all morning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 
Hibernating Druid

I watched Terminator Salvation at the weekend too. I thought it was a good action flick, plenty of asplshuns and p3w p3w and robots and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 
That Rev Chap

Mr Chris wrote:
Bloody aliens for god's sake.

What's wrong with that, though? Indy films have always taken ideas from the fringe of historical speculation, this time it was just more Erich von Daniken than Michael Baigent - and that fits in well with the flying saucer-era setting, as did the Soviets, the background of remote viewing and psychic research, the red panic, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 

Wikipedia wrote:
There is an unrated version and a theatrical version of the film. The Blu-Ray release features the PG-13 theatrical cut which runs at 128 minutes, while the Collector's Edition DVD includes both the unrated and theatrical versions

IMDB wrote:
Region 1 unrated DVD version contains frequent use of strong profanity and stronger violence (bullet hits are more graphically seen with blood spraying out). Also, McClane's signature line is now heard in full, as the gunshot does not obscure the latter part of it.

Also, Jennifer Lopez is a Scientologist.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:04 
Unpossible!

cheers doc, saves me a job

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 
Comfortably Dumb

Hmm.. I've still not seen Die Hard 4.0 yet but hadn't realised it had been toned down that much. I think I'll try and get the unrated version.

Also - every day I walk past a poster for Orphan which as well as the main tagline of 'There's something wrong with Esther.' also has 'You'll never guess her secret' so if it's not something like she's a ghost/channelling the dead then it'll be something stupid like 'she's really a flapjack'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If I watched a film where the big reveal was that the creepy little girl was really a flapjack, I'd be well delighted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 
PC Gamer

devilman wrote:
Also - every day I walk past a poster for Orphan which as well as the main tagline of 'There's something wrong with Esther.' also has 'You'll never guess her secret'.

"It was all a big misunderstanding of a bunch of admittedly unpleasant coincidences and actually despite being understandably traumatised by the loss of her parents there's nothing weird or supernatural about her at all"?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

MaliA wrote:
Man on Wire is on BBC2 at 9pm tonight. It's quite interesting about the man that tightrope walked between the Twin Towers.

Downloaded that last night, and watching it now. 30 minutes in, and it's a lovely documentary. Fascinating and brilliantly told.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, I watched that last night. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:44 

Terminator Salvation's alternate ending, which was shot but then abandoned under studio pressure: (http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/mcg-re ... te-ending/)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
[McG said]"Connor dies, okay? He’s dead. And Marcus offers his physical body, so Connor’s exterior is put on top of his machine body. It looks like Connor, but it’s really Marcus underneath. And all of the characters we care about (Kyle Reese, Connor’s wife Kate, etc.) are brought into the room to see him and they think it’s Connor. And Connor gets up and then there’s a small flicker of red in his eyes and he shoots Kate, he shoots Kyle, he shoots everybody in the room. Fade to black. End of movie. Skynet wins. F— you!

"It’s the most nihilistic thing of all time. And Christian went f—ing crazy, of course. He was insistent that it be done that way! He wanted the bad guys to win! Can you imagine the oxygen going out of the theater?! What just happened! It would piss you off! But maybe two years from now, you’d think it was ballsy. But in the end, it just felt like too much of a bummer."

He pauses, thinking about the alternate ending that wasn’t. “Maybe we blew it.”

I think I would have liked to have seen them do the first bit of that without the second. Then

The inevitable Terminator 5 would have a brilliantly conflicted "Connor", with mixed loyalties, under suspicion from his inner circle as to if he can really be trusted, but they cannot do without their perfect figurehead. The themes of the humans starting to wonder if Connor preferred the company of his reprogrammed Terminators was explored a litte in the TV show, to good effect.

Also apparently, Bale was originally asked to play Marcus in a script where Connor was a far smaller character. He insisted on being Connor and the script was rewritten to expand the role. I wonder if that first script was better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:27 
Running this fucking operation

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also apparently, Bale was originally asked to play Marcus in a script where Connor was a far smaller character. He insisted on being Connor and the script was rewritten to expand the role. I wonder if that first script was better.

TBH, that's fairly apparent in the final film (which I liked, regardless of what others thought.) I always tell those who shunned it on the basis of Bale's hamminess that it won't bother them much because he's hardly in it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 14:46 

Minority Report. It was on SciFi HD a week or so ago and I recorded it and watched it for the second time.

It's really shit, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 22:43 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Minority Report. It was on SciFi HD a week or so ago and I recorded it and watched it for the second time.

It's really shit, isn't it?

I really enjoyed it overall and it had plenty of interesting ideas & visuals, though like a few more recent Speilberg films (in particular A.I.), it went on for about 20 minutes longer than it needed to.

Surprised you consider it "really shit" though to be honest...

I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than Terminator 4, which didn't feel like a Terminator movie at all to me, and more like an above-average generic sci-fi action movie which got by mostly due to it's big-budget action sequences.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 22:49 

BertyBasset wrote:
Surprised you consider it "really shit" though to be honest...
It had some nice visual design, I'll give it that; an interesting blend of seeming-utopia and actual-dystopia rotten underneath. But the seemingly obligatory Spielberg comedy bits (jetpack flames cooking burgers! Eyeballs rolling down corridors! Our hero drinks rotten milk!) where wildly out of tone with the rest of the film, which was mostly fairly serious. The last third of the film rests on such a series of unlikely coincidences, starting with the boss man's slip of the tongue, that fanwank explanations have claimed it doesn't actually happen (here). I mean, how does
the boss man frame Anderton for the murder of the FBI guy played by Farrell? Ok, so they have no precogs, but have they totally forgotten how to investigate murder scenes? Anderton has an alibi, he's miles away!

Overall I hate it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 0:53 
Skillmeister

I blarted so much at A.I. that liquid was leaving all of my face orifices at a flow rate of a gallon a second. I can't bear even thinking of watching it again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 
INFINITE POWAH

Dimrill wrote:
I blarted so much at A.I. that liquid was leaving all of my face orifices at a flow rate of a gallon a second. I can't bear even thinking of watching it again.

I assume you were greeting due to the pain of having to watch such utter fucking tripe?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 
Hibernating Druid

I liked A.I. too.

We could watch it together sometime if you like Dimrill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:15 
Unpossible!

AI is a dvd i bought before i'd seen the film.

Anyone want to buy a dvd, only watched once?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:22 
baron of techno

MrDavPaz wrote:
AI is a dvd i bought before i'd seen the film.

Anyone want to buy a dvd, only watched once?

Warning: this is a very, very poor film. Do not buy this DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 
Hibernating Druid

I don't understand all the hatred of A.I.

Call yourselves geeks?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 
baron of techno

It's not a geek film though, it's sentimental fairytale rubbish, and boring with it.

"2000 years later, Manhattan is buried under several hundred feet of glacial ice, and humans are extinct. OH FFS"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 
Unpossible!

It's a mawkish, overdone, overlong, overblown exercise in tedium. The whole ending sequence should have been left on some sentimental storyboard artist's floor. And the kid... just creepy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 
baron of techno

And what DavPaz said.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 
INFINITE POWAH

I think "utter fucking tripe" said that more succinctly, but yes, what Mr Dav Paz said.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:56 
Hibernating Druid

It's not the best film in the world I know, and it is very long, but it's beautifully shot and the story IMHO was good. And you don't have souls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:08 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I watched 'Knowing' a couple of nights ago and I really don't know what to make of it. It's interesting as it obviously had a ton of monhey chucked at it but it really is a very down beat film for a major studio film. Cage is horribly miscast as the lead 'I teach Astro Physics at MIT', yeah right mate (what were they thinking?). But it had an interesting if conventional plot and just the right level of general spookiness and weirdness, Cage's house in the middle of the woods being the star of the show. I see that it's been universally panned but I assume that's because the reviewers couldn't get past Cage's terrible performance. Overall I'd give it a C-.

I also watched 'Bronson' which I assumed would be sub Chopper nonsense, which it was, interesting film if you like that kind of thing. Definitely pitched as a 'Come see the nutter' freak side show. At the end it says that Bronson is still in prison, in solitary confinement. On the basis of this fim my only response is 'Good, keep him there.' C.

Oh there's also a trailer out for Jackson's 'Lovely Bones' as well. Looks interesting and reminds me of that Kevin Bacon flick from about five years ago mixed with 'What Dreams May Come' (or whatever it was called).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13 
Comfortably Dumb

Morte wrote:
Oh there's also a trailer out for Jackson's 'Lovely Bones' as well.

Blimey.. he's only just died.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 
Hibernating Druid

900 bananas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 13:20 
Goth

I watched Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train yesterday on Blu Ray. The picture was really nice and the film really well shot. Unfortunately it failed to fully explain the purpose behind things and the way it ended (which the book did). Fell victim to just that bit too many horror cliches to make it a classic. If they had opted to do it with a little less silly splatter gore it could have been a classic. As it is, it's a stylish above average horror.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 13:36 

Morte wrote:
I watched 'Knowing' a couple of nights ago and I really don't know what to make of it. It's interesting as it obviously had a ton of monhey chucked at it but it really is a very down beat film for a major studio film. Cage is horribly miscast as the lead 'I teach Astro Physics at MIT', yeah right mate (what were they thinking?). But it had an interesting if conventional plot and just the right level of general spookiness and weirdness, Cage's house in the middle of the woods being the star of the show. I see that it's been universally panned but I assume that's because the reviewers couldn't get past Cage's terrible performance. Overall I'd give it a C-.

The plane and train crashes were brilliant, other bits were ok, the ending was fucking terrible. Overall it was worth the bandwidth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 14:01 
Skillmeister

Shut yer holes. I liked A.I.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 14:05 
Hibernating Druid

Has anyone not seen M Shite Himalayans - The Happening?

Hilariously terrible. Unmissable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 14:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:

I watched half. The kids had just been spoilered by the crazy old man in the house.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 15:05 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I watched half. The kids had just been spoilered by the crazy old man in the house.

I watched this last night, I assume it was a TV edit as the violence was taken out.

It was indeed side-splittingly bad. Old woman bellowing, "LEAVE NOW!" made me laugh lots as a similar colleague once ringingly shouted this in the children's library at misbehaving eleven year olds.

Pained me to see Zooey in such a dire film though. Anyone else get the impression the actors were phoning in their lines and being continuously surprised at Shyamalan's Ed Wood style, "Cut! Perfect! Print it!" reaction to first takes?

Edit: Grudgingly spoilered, despite the film being complete horse-shit:

Liked how everybody thought walking about carrying guns and sharp things on them was a good idea, despite the toxins causing people to commit suicide around them.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:06 
Hibernating Druid

OMFG SPOILZ!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:11 
Hibernating Druid

This is becoming a habit with you Mr Pete.

*makes note in 'Spank on sight' jotter.*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Stop writing in my jotter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:28 
Excellent Member

Gragh. No apologies from me, since it is immediately obvious to the thickest sap, and anyway Zardoz, yer bark's worse than your bite, now I shall take my leaf of this place...

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:39 
Unpossible!

off to see 'Emma Watson and the School Uniform of Naughty Thoughts' tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:40 
Hibernating Druid

You're on your second warning Petey!

Tree and you're out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:41 
Hibernating Druid

MrDavPaz wrote:
off to see 'Emma Watson and the School Uniform of Naughty Thoughts' tonight.

That reminds me, I saw this today...
*makes another note in 'Spank on sight' jotter.*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:45 
Hibernating Druid

It looks like a good film doesn't it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Very much so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:48 
Gogmagog

Anyone seen Coco before Chanel? I've been invited. I am highly suspicious....

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 423  Next