Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 0:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Quiet Ones is a film about a possessed girl and the university lecturer who is trying to cure her by "drawing the evil out" or something.

Don't bother with it.

Have there been any good horror films in the last five years?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 0:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh wait, The Conjuring (aka The Warren Files) was good.

Predictably shit sequel is coming for that soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'The Colony' on Netflix last night which reviewed terribly on Rotten Tomatoes so I wasn't expecting great things, but the user reviews on Netflix were a bit more balanced and it does have Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton in it.

Anyway, it was fine. A nicely made, competently executed 90 minute post-apocalyptic survival horror flick with decent effects (especially considering the budget), solid acting and an unremarkable but workmanlike script.

The action sequences are tense and effective, (there's a sequence just past the halfway mark which is proper good), and it moves towards a solid conclusion with commendable efficiency.

If you've got a 90 minute gap to fill you could do a lot worse than this - 7/10.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 18:30 
Rude Belittler

I enjoyed the hell out of Guardians of the Galaxy. Perfect summer roller coaster movie. And consistently funny too. Batista is excellent.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
wtf! Howard the Duck?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 19:42 
Excellent Member

Watched "Coherence" last night.

It's a new low-budget film from a first-time writer / director about a bunch of 8 friends who meet for a dinner party. During the course of the evening, strange shit happens.

That initial description probably doesn't sound very promising, but after a 20-minute or so basic set-up this develops into a weird sci-fi Twilight-Zone type story that's quite creepy at times and has some clever ideas.

I really enjoyed it. It's no masterpiece but a solid 7.5/10 from me and I look forward to what the writer/director does next.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:48 
Excellent Member

A mixed bag for me recently

The Stag.... Dreadful Irish film about yes a Stag weekend

None Stop- Ok but nothing special

Captain America the Winter Soldier- Enjoyed this one, good action film and not spoilt by OTT CGI effects.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 22:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I saw Planes 2. It was much better than the first one, but then so was being mugged.

The Grimlet enjoyed it, the finale was great, and the fire looked beautiful. Predictable as fuck, though.

AC/DC were on the soundtrack, which always helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 0:18 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
I saw Planes 2. It was much better than the first one, but then so was being mugged.

The Grimlet enjoyed it, the finale was great, and the fire looked beautiful. Predictable as fuck, though.

AC/DC were on the soundtrack, which always helps.

I took Mini Curio to that today as well! She seemed to think it was okay, but it's a little old for her, probably. She loves cinema as she gets pick n mix and then during the end credits she gets to dance down the front.

Also, she was actually singing along with AC/DC!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:19 
EvilTrousers

I watched Captain America : Winter Soldier at the weekend and thought it was very enjoyable. Some of the scenes where Cap kicks ass are really well done even if that serum seemed to make Steve Rogers able to calculate some extremely unlikely shield trajectories so that it nearly always comes back to him. It was so fucking cool I didn't mind.

However;

The fights with your UFC man on the boat and Bucky annoyed me because just because they are good are fighting doesn't mean one punch from a superpowered superhero shouldn't break everyone of your fucking ribs or shatter your nose. And a robot arm doesn't make the rest of you superpowered does it? After he was kicking people the fuck off boats he then resorts to having to pummel the fuck out of someone who then still managed to get up and run away. Bollocks.

Also a bit lucky that the helicarriers fell slap bang back into the water rather than killing rather a lot of people by landing on the city they were flying over and asploding eh?

Oh final moan - The Black Widow has worked at Shield for like for fucking ever - she would possibly know that the "Biometric maguffin" she is asked to pin to her lapel by the evil puppet master might just not be benign?

But you know, comic book movie so certain allowances made - 8/10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 0:17 
Excellent Member

Inbetweeners 2 was cringe-worthily hilarious. Better than the first, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:59 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Watched “Locke” last night…basically an hour and a half of Tom Hardy driving while making and taking phone calls.

Excellent, I have never been so interested in concrete based telephone calls before.

Would recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 13:38 
SavyGamer

Morte wrote:
Watched “Locke” last night…basically an hour and a half of Tom Hardy driving while making and taking phone calls.

Excellent, I have never been so interested in concrete based telephone calls before.

Would recommend.

Me too. I thought it was quite good considering it was just Tom Hardy in a car.

I properly thought it was building to him abandoning mother and baby and just driving off on his own somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 14:13 
Excellent Member

Also watched Locke last week and it was great indeed.

Yesterday watched Rise of the Planet of The Apes, and i honestly don't know what to think. The film was filled with incredibly stupid and a cliché scenes and dialogue. It was exactly like every other action movie released in the last 20 years. I always felt a deja vu in almost every scene. But still was fun in a brainless way.

Not long ago Cracked wrote an article how The Dark Knight rises is exacly like that James Bond movie with Denise Richards. Can't argue with that but they have thrown so many more movies into that thing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 21:53 
Excellent Member

Another recommendation for "Locke" here.

Watched it about a month ago and thought it was great.
If you tried to explain the plot / structure of the film to most people they probably wouldn't be impressed in the slightest.

Tom Hardy is awesome though and this film works mostly because of his performance (the script is solid as well though).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 
Excellent Member

Watched the Amazing Spider Man 2 last night

It was OK, I thought I wouldn't like it given its not that long since the last series of films

Bit more of a comic edge to it, in the film Peter Parker has the Spider man theme tune from one of the cartoon series (I think?) as his ring tone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Watched the Amazing Spider Man 2 last night

It was OK, I thought I wouldn't like it given its not that long since the last series of films

Bit more of a comic edge to it, in the film Peter Parker has the Spider man theme tune from one of the cartoon series (I think?) as his ring tone.

I watched the first one of this current reboot the other day not expecting to think much of it but I ended up really enjoying it (the presence of Emma Stone probably not doing much harm there). That second one isn't supposed to be as good but I'll definitely watch it now having enjoyed the first one.

As for a comic edge though, remember that the Tobey Maguire series of films had J. K. Simmons doing a hilarious scenery-chewing version of JJ Jamieson. Also a comedy rendering of the morning when he wakes up with his spider powers; jism inferences aplenty! Which reminds me that I never watched the third one of that series, maybe I'll add it to my Lovefilm list as well just to ensure utter Spider-Man confusion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:18 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Which reminds me that I never watched the third one of that series, maybe I'll add it to my Lovefilm list as well just to ensure utter Spider-Man confusion.

NO! Don't, seriously. DO yourself a favour and look at this image...

... and trust me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 
Bad Girl

Ah man, now I want to watch the third one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 
Bad Girl

And get jiggy wid it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:24 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Which reminds me that I never watched the third one of that series, maybe I'll add it to my Lovefilm list as well just to ensure utter Spider-Man confusion.

NO! Don't, seriously. DO yourself a favour and look at this image...

... and trust me.

Too late, I've done it now. And that which has been added to the Lovefilm list can never be removed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 

Every time I am off work alone, especially if I am feeling a bit sorry for myself, I seem to find the same movie (either on TV or Netflix or whatnot) and I forget that I have already seen it.

Paul Bettany plays Darwin, struggling to come to terms with the death of his daughter as it throws his belief in the survival of the strongest of the species into a bit of heartache, having married his cousin and with the knowledge that this could lead to genetic weakness. His cousin-wife is angry, because she wants to believe that her girl is in heaven, and her cousin-husband seems to suggest that God doesn't exist as creator. For some reason, Charles Darwin is married to Jennifer Connelly, a woman who, let's not forget, a few years ago was happy to give away her baby brother to some goblins because David Bowie flashed his balls at her, but now get's all holier than thou because Darwin believes in evolution.

And now I have watched it for about the thirtieth time I shall obviously forget that I have seen it, that's it's not very good, and mentally queue it up for my next day off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 22:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I watched Good Will Hunting last night.

Bugger, that was good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 0:21 
SavyGamer

The Transporter 2 is still brilliant and bonkers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 21:07 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
The Transporter 2 is still brilliant and bonkers.

Agreed, it's good daft fun (the first Transporter film is pretty decent too).
Not the best Statham film though, that honour goes to the first Crank film, which is even more brilliant & bonkers.

Also, regardless of your fondness for the first two films, don't bother with Transporter 3 because it's genuinely shit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 21:16 
SavyGamer

Yeah, the Crank movies are like if The Transporter fully embraced their bonkers nature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:51 
EvilTrousers

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday.

It is funny. No wait it's fucking funny. I haven't laughed that much at a film in ages - I would go as far as to say it's funnier than Serenity. SACRILEGE.

But yeah I thought it was perfectly pitched and I am looking forward to the second one already.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 14:03 
Sleepyhead

Trousers wrote:

It is funny. No wait it's fucking funny. I haven't laughed that much at a film in ages - I would go as far as to say it's funnier than Serenity. SACRILEGE.

But yeah I thought it was perfectly pitched and I am looking forward to the second one already.

"Oh, I wasn't listening. I was thinking of something else."

I can't believe how funny Batista was.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 14:56 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Trousers wrote:

That had me in repeated fits of giggles, so much so that for the remainder of that scene, people around us were laughing at me giggling. Mr. Flis' 21yo son later told his friends "She finds the simplest things funny, I spent most of the film laughing because she found it so hilarious."

I think you have to be around a certain age to 'get' some of it, or to at least find it bloody funny. He, along with my two, 15 and 12, didn't find it as funny as I did. Maybe I'm just hugely childish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 15:01 
Excellent Member

Also, Star-Lord in his pants was much more attractive than Emmet Brickowski in his so, 10/10 for getting so buff in such a short space of time :D (I could not shift Emmet from my head at all during some of scenes).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 16:59 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Curiosity wrote:
Trousers wrote:

"Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast. I will seize it."

line of the film for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 17:13 
EvilTrousers

I almost agree but then;

"Why would I put my finger across his throat?" and then the guy agreeing then disagreeing about it being a universal sign as well immediately thereafter

Actual biggest laugh of the film for me was;

Groot's face after he systematically skewered then tree slapped a whole line of soldiers for much longer than was necessary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 17:15 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Aaaahhhh lolz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 19:35 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Watching Mrs Doubtfire. Kovacs is the Monkey on his show. Ha!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 21:12 
Excellent Painter

I watched The Fisher King on Saturday night. I haven't seen it since it was first released on DVD so it was very different to how I remembered it. However, it was still great and far more nuanced than I recall. Fine performances from Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges, hell, the whole cast are really great.

For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a Terry Gilliam film, and though it visits some of his usual visual tropes it's more akin to 12 Monkeys than his more esoteric fantasy films — basically it's a story of redemption, love and reinvention. That was my tribute to the sad passing of Robin Williams.

Highly recommended.

I also watched Cap Merkin the Winter Soldier, which was also enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 21:43 
Hello Hello Hello

I totally binged on Robin Williams films this week (and I'm still upset he's dead, and every time I watch him be fucking magnificent in a film it makes me sadder) so decided to go for a total change of pace tonight.

So it was the 2013 remake of Oldboy with Josh Brolin. (Netflix USA.) Brolin is very damn good in it, Samuel L Jackson plays a properly evil motherfucker, and Sharlto Copley's character works more towards the end.

Seriously fucked up film though, like the 2003 Korean original was. I wouldn't say it was better or worse than the original, but definitely a different take on it.

Don't expect to be left in a good mood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Tonight's film was 'Assault On Wall Street' by the genuinely insane German director Uwe Boll (this guy challenged and then partook in real boxing matches with some of his critics).

The guy's made quite a lot of films but I've only seen a couple of them (including the unremittingly horrible 'Seed' which features an extended sequence where a hostage gets her head systematically taken apart by a claw hammer) - so I wasn't overly sure what to expect from this.

So yeah, it's basically Banker Revenge Porn, whereby a wholesome and hard-working American everyman gets his entire life taken away from him due to EVIL BANKERS and is eventually pushed past breaking point and decides to kill as many of them as he can.

If I'm entirely honest, I really liked it, it's the howl of anger against the wholesale fucking larceny that took place I've been hoping for. Moreover, genuinely well acted, written and directed in the main too. (There's actually quite a lot of factual stuff in there which has been covered by folks such as Michael Moore.)

It's not a shoot-em-up mindless violence affair either, there's a protracted lead-up to the guy finally going postal (and even then it even doesn't ring true, truth be told, because he's not the type who'd resort to wholesale murder).

8/10 - Not a bad flick at all.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/assault ... reet_2013/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 0:05 
Rude Belittler

Uwe Boll has made a decent movie?

Yeah, those boxing matches. He was going to spar with Sean 'Seanbaby' Riley at one point, until he realised Seanbaby is a big guy who does Muay Thai and Ju Jitsu and could beat the fuck out of him. According to Lowtax from SA, he was all 'its just a PR stunt, a bit of fun' and then he tried to knock them out.

Bit of a cock then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 0:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Uwe Boll has made a decent movie?

Yeah, those boxing matches. He was going to spar with Sean 'Seanbaby' Riley at one point, until he realised Seanbaby is a big guy who does Muay Thai and Ju Jitsu and could beat the fuck out of him. According to Lowtax from SA, he was all 'its just a PR stunt, a bit of fun' and then he tried to knock them out.

Bit of a cock then.

An insane cock! (I have read previously that he didn't seem entirely keen on seeing all his boxing challenges through to their conclusions :D)

But yeah, I quite liked Assault On Wall Street. It's on Netflix USA so if you've got a Netflix sub just use the Hola extension for Chrome (or similar trickery), log in with your usual account details and there it is.

Worth a watch I'd say. (Also you can spot Edward Furlong (Terminator 2) and Keith David (loads of stuff) in there too!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 0:34 

So I decided to also watch Under The Skin last night.

I can completely understand it being a Marmite kind of film, and I can entirely understand someone hating it, despite the fact that Scarlett Johansson is entirely naked at points in it. Personally I bloody loved it though. Very creepy in places, visually very striking with a terrific soundtrack and tells a good story with scant little dialogue. I totally recommend it. I can already tell it's the kind of thing I'm going to be thinking about for a while now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 
Excellent Member

I watched Bad Grandpa .5 last night

Its a got a lot of extra footage that they didn't include in the film and is also part documentary.

I was pissing myself laughing at the footage, that said I could watch this sort of stuff all day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 
Goth

I went to see The Rover and The Congress yesterday. Neither made me particularly happy. The Rover is a future Australia after some kind of collapse into lawlessness. Miserable beardy quiet Guy Pearce's car gets stolen so he goes to get it back. Kills quite a few people along the way. But not in an action movie kind of way. It's more miserable road trip than anything. Well executed but not exactly happy.

The Congress is about Robin Wright playing a fictional Robin Wright based on Robin Wright selling her digital likeness (which in this is impossible to distinguish from reality) to be used in films instead of her so the studio can do what they want with her. It's all about studios getting full control over their 'product' without those pesky actors interfering. And then about people retreating into fantasy worlds instead dealing with reality. And stuff. And again it's not very happy. And half of it is weird animation. And the messages don't quite work or make sense and I have to say I really didn't enjoy it much.

All in all, it felt a bit of a bummer of an afternoon with the atmospjhere of tjhose films. And my keyboard likes to ijnsert random js into my typing and I'm fed up of trying to remove them all now so they have to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:54 
Bad Girl

I watched Godzilla and was mildy amoosed. It was garbage of course but it did make me think that there's not been a good disaster film in a while. Or ever.

The I watched Divergence which is another of those Hunger Games films. Remember Lord of the Rings came out and then we had The Chronicles of Nardia? It's a bit like that. It's also garbage but, again, I was mildly amoosed.

Maybe I was just in the mood for some stupid crap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Watched Winter Soldier a few days ago - slightly duller than I was expecting. OK though.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. First film I've seen in 3D, which was pretty cool. Definitely one of my favourite films of recent years. I'm still giggling over the blacklight line.

Also, ironically, one of vin diesel's least wooden performances.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 20:17 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:
So I decided to also watch Under The Skin last night.

I can completely understand it being a Marmite kind of film, and I can entirely understand someone hating it, despite the fact that Scarlett Johansson is entirely naked at points in it. Personally I bloody loved it though. Very creepy in places, visually very striking with a terrific soundtrack and tells a good story with scant little dialogue. I totally recommend it. I can already tell it's the kind of thing I'm going to be thinking about for a while now.

I read the book after having seen the film. Its incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 20:32 
Sleepyhead

I read the book whilst knowing nothing about it beforehand. That was fun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 21:01 
Bad Girl

I watched what was dubbed "The British version of The Hurt Locker" called The Patrol. It wasn't. Far, far from it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 21:04 
INFINITE POWAH

Soooo... it was good then?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 21:52 
Goth

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Lots of nudity. Lots of violence. Lots of stylised visuals. I quite liked it.

Lucy - I could almost overlook the horrendously bad science were it not for it constantly bringing it up throughout the film and slapping me round the face with it. The science is horrendously bad. It's not a bad action film for the nice and short 90 minutes it lasts. Nice to see a film that doesn't have to be a million hours long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 22:04 
Gogmagog

The Purge - shit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 
Goth

The Purge Anarchy is good by the way.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 422  Next