Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:35 
Goth

It Follows was all right. It had some nice camera work and was spooky for about half of it then just somehow became rather mundane. Intelligent enough to constantly respond to questions I asked during the film though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 18:39 
Bad Girl

I liked It Follows. It was a terrific understated horror story. It didn't have the big scares but it didn't need them either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 18:45 
Bad Girl

Y'know what film no one in the universe asked for? A sequel to the horribly named Divergent (or was it Divergence). Anyway, for absolutely no one, there's a sequel called Insurgent (or is it Insurgence). Kate Winslet is in it. And some guy who has a constantly mardy look on his face. He's a right cunt. And the lead character, Trish, has had a haircut. I know, right? I couldn't believe it either. She ain't no Catnip, though.

Also, there's a sequel to another film no one wanted either, The Maze Runner. I ain't seen it though, I just wanted you all to know about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:45 
SavyGamer

I saw the maze runner and it really irritated me how no one thought to just make a ladder.

Also it wasn't a very good film.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 21:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Saturnalian wrote:
Y'know what film no one in the universe asked for? A sequel to the horribly named Divergent (or was it Divergence). Anyway, for absolutely no one, there's a sequel called Insurgent (or is it Insurgence). Kate Winslet is in it. And some guy who has a constantly mardy look on his face. He's a right cunt. And the lead character, Trish, has had a haircut. I know, right? I couldn't believe it either. She ain't no Catnip, though.

Also, there's a sequel to another film no one wanted either, The Maze Runner. I ain't seen it though, I just wanted you all to know about it.

My 1 year old bought Divergent through my Xbox while she was playing with the pad one day. I've never watched it even though it cost me around £6.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 21:30 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

My 1 year old bought Divergent through my Xbox while she was playing with the pad one day. I've never watched it even though it cost me around £6.

It's worth £6. Entertaining enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 21:37 
Bad Girl

No. It isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 23:19 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Yes it is. Maybe not 10 but 6 is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 23:47 
Bad Girl

No. It isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:03 
SavyGamer

You can get films for free off the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Couple of recent ones from me, both on Netflix UK, and both directed by the same chap.

THE GUEST - Rottentomatoes says 'From the director of YOU'RE NEXT and featuring a standout, badass performance from Dan Stevens ("Downton Abbey"), comes THE GUEST: a tense, action-packed and unpredictable film like everything and nothing you've ever seen before. Empire Magazine called it "a demented action-horror hybrid of sci-fi conspiracy thriller and gore-fest", and Vanity Fair said, "THE GUEST is big, it's bold, it's badass, full of flavor Hollywood wishes it could pour over its vanilla blockbusters."'

Hearthly says, I really enjoyed this. It's compact, efficient, not an ounce of fat on it. Interesting story and characters, well acted and written, crunchy violence, and answers all the questions it poses in a coherent manner. Don't get me wrong, it's not an all-time great, but as a 100 minute slice of entertainment it works very well - 8/10. I tend to have a gut reaction to films as the credits roll, a mental 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' if you will - this is a definite thumbs-up.

YOU'RE NEXT - Rottentomatoes says 'One of the smartest and most terrifying films in years, YOU'RE NEXT reinvents the genre by putting a fresh twist on home-invasion horror. When a gang of masked, ax-wielding murderers descend upon the Davison family reunion, the hapless victims seem trapped...until an unlikely guest of the family proves to be the most talented killer of all.'

Hearthly says, having very much enjoyed The Guest I was pleased to find the director's previous film, You're Next is also on Netflix. The good news is this is great too! Whilst it is technically a slasher-style/home invasion genre piece, the quality of the script, acting, and twisty-turny stuff elevates it somewhat beyond that. Do be aware though that whilst The Guest is pretty violent it's Cert 15 stuff, You're Next definitely earns its 18. It's not the next Citizen Kane or anything (and nor does it try to be), but it's a fab slice of hour and a half entertainment. 8/10.

Also note that both films earn a 1 on the Craster scale.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:26 

I thought The Guest was pretty good up until the final act when it turned to pap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 16:19 
Bad Girl

I've watched the The Terminator: Genesyis.

Hang on, is that how you spell it!?

Terrible, terrible subtitles: it's what making films and games are all about these days. Just shove a fucking number on it, you cunts.

Only the film IS FUCKING GARBAGE.

Seriously, don't watch it. Pretend it doesn't exist just like it pretends every Trrminator film before it doesn't exist and weren't infinitely better films.

It's lens flared the fuck up, cuz. Sorry, I just wanted to say that because I went on my own and it was my prevailing thought.

Here's a rant about it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
And for a film about computers it doesn't half use CGI far too much.

And T-1000 gets nailed reet early on. THEY MADE A GREAT FILM JUST ABOUT HIM. That female robot gets ignored though in favour of a robot man robot. Who is also crap.

You can only kill T-800 by crushing the fuck outta him!
You can only kill T-1000 with fire!
New robot man robot can only be killed using magnets!

And when robot man robot is stuck to a magnet early on (within 5 minutes of being onscreen) you know he's going to get magnetised later on.

Lord, I wished for the days when fire was enough... Anyway, Arnie is terrible. One liners, stupid rubbish acting where he is actually more human sounding than a robot (I know, right!?). At one point he sticks his head through a window and says "Nice to meet you. ... Get out." It would have been far FAR better had he just said "Get out". FAR BETTER. LESS IS MORE PEOPLE. Did no one proof read this shit?

There's no chemistry on screen.

New Sarah Conner is way too young and pouty. (And gorgeous) (FUCK. ME. I've just IMDBed her and it's only bloody Game of Thrones woman! Her face looked so familiar all the way through - A-Mazed.) (Now, had she got her tatties out I might have recognised her.)(only kidding. Sorry women of the world).

Where was I? Oh, and new Kyle Reece is terrible too. What's with all new young actors having to have giant muscular bodies? The original Reece wasn't a giant meat head like this guy who acts about as good as Vin Diesel (they just seemed very similar to me whilst I was watching it). I just wanted someone more down to earth that Sarah could have some actual chemistry with. I suppose Arnie and the dreadful script kept getting in the way of any meaningful downtime between action sequences. I laughed when they had built a massive gun bunker for it to be useless within about 30 minutes of their arrival. Just pointless.

You know what this film could have been? It Follows. WITH A FUCKING KILLER ROBOT. That'd be a cool film. Oh, they made that? It's called The Terminator and it's an undisputed classic. God, if you're going to make a sequel at least rip off the best of the series not the worst shit. There's no need for stupid robot man robot time travel bollocks. JUST MAKE THE FIRST FILM AGAIN. Fucks sake.

1/10.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 16:54 

I love your reviews but they're mega-wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 17:22 
Bad Girl

No. It isn't.

I mean, I'm not. I've just got impeccable taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:14 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:43 
SavyGamer

The Lawnmower man isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:07 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 
SavyGamer

Aye, my point was just that Transcendence was shit.

Also I am 28 and I share your views on Total Recall and Robocop.

Although I dunno if you can really call the new Fantastic Four a remake. It's probably going to be nothing like the previous (laughably bad) movies. It's just another adaptation of the decades old comic.

If we're talking about good remakes, the only vaguely recent one I can really think of is Bad Lieutenant, which is a very different film to the original, and I'm pretty sure Werner Herzog said that he'd never even seen the original, but saying that his film was to be a remake was the easiest way to get a studio to fund it.

Although if you go back far enough there is the obvious ones like The Fly and The Thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 21:42 
Hello Hello Hello

As ever about a million years late to the party, (I see it's already had a decent amount of well deserved loving in this thread), but I just watched LOCKE as it's appeared on Netflix recently.

Tom Hardy puts on a Welsh accent and talks on the phone for an hour and a half, as he drives from Point A to Point B.

That's it.

And it's brilliant.

I pressed the '5 stars' button, which I don't do very often. Normally I max out at 4 stars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 22:32 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:32 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The Attack on Titan Live Action trailer looks suitably nuts. It'll probably end up about a bunch of Emo teenager whingers but we can hope...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 
Bad Girl

That utters absolutely mental. I think I tried to watch one of the anime's but it was a little boring. I must have watched a rubbish one because it wasn't like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 17:06 
Goth

That looked trailer looked like the opening episode of the anime. Almost shot for shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 18:19 

Grim... wrote:
Specifically "people not being quite as tall as they said they were".

You said this to me the first time we met, which was a long time before Mimi said anything similar I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 19:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Specifically "people not being quite as tall as they said they were".

You said this to me the first time we met, which was a long time before Mimi said anything similar I think.

Mimi said she was 6 feet tall back on WoS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched the remake of STRAW DOGS last night which is arguably a film that didn't need remaking but this was pretty good.

Nice to see James Woods get his snarl on too.

Not massively violent or rapey either, I got a slight 'this was trimmed for an R' vibe about it and that was likely the version that was used internationally. Some of the edits looked a bit jumpy.

Netflix UK.

7/10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 
Goth

Legend (director's cut) - First time I've watched this, remarkably. Absolutely incredible to look at, even now. There's also that particular look that 80s fantasy films had when they entered swampy type areas that is incredible. I don't think they can do it anymore. Also noticed some uses of lighting that were quite similar to Blade Runner, which is unsurprising considering Ridley directed both. The story is very minimal and flimsy but it's just such a visual feast that it's really quite a joy to watch. From what I hear the Director's cut is a vastly superior version of the film. Runs a fair bit longer too. 112 minutes as opposed to 89.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 

TheFireFaerie wrote:
Saw Whiplash last night - IMMENSE. I have never been so on the edge of my seat in a film ever - I was so tensed up! The acting is brilliant, the energy high but without feeling like 'what the hell just happened I can't keep up', the music is /awesome/, and when it ended I thought WOA that was a really short film, max 90 mins - nope, was 110.

:this:

Watched Whiplash last night - fecking amazing, a perfect 10 from me. Totally uncompromising intensity throughout, uncomfortable to sit through at times; I never thought I could give so much of a damn about jazz drumming (and indeed, was fully expecting to be bored shitless).

JK Simmons, whom I'm ashamed to admit I'd never ever heard of until now, was believable and sublime. Ultimately, a film about the utterly ruthless, excluding, selfish, obsessive and cruel path to true greatness, whether that's only defined personally or more widely acknowledged. I found myself exhausted at the superb, nail-biting and unexpected finale, yet still wanting more.

What a brilliant, unexpected gem IMO.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 
Awesome
Yes

JK Simmons is like the everyman who you recognise from loads of things. Have a look on his IMDb page and you'll probably have seen films he's been in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:40 
Gogmagog

We began to watch The Road last night but after 20 minutes we turned it off as it was far to depressing for a Sunday night.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 
Excellent Member

Also: Cave Johnson in Portal 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He wasn't that depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:01 
Bad Girl

MaliA wrote:
We began to watch The Road last night but after 20 minutes we turned it off as it was far to depressing for a Sunday night.

Good film - fucking excellent book.

But yes, depressing...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:58 
Hello Hello Hello

My mum watched most of it on fast forward as she said she could tell what was going on without needing to get too depressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 
Esoteric

Last night for the first time I watched Fallout 3 the movie, I mean, The Book Of Eli.

And I thought it was excellent :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, I really liked The Book of Eli. Good film.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:13 
Esoteric

I love that scene where he chops people to bits but the lighting and shadows made it one big silhouette. Very, very clever filming that.

Ending was a bit sad (he didn't look that old to me !) but overall yes, a very gritty and good post apocalyptic romp :) I may well make this my first Blu purchase when I get my player next week :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 15:37 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I may well make this my first Blu purchase

Seems an unlikely film to have a porn version but I suppose it takes all sorts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 16:00 
Esoteric

fnarrrr ! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 23:29 
Gogmagog

Kingsman is very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:08 

So is Ant-Man.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 21:06 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Yeah, I really liked The Book of Eli. Good film.

I thought it was pretty good too, if not great.

The cinematography is mostly fantastic though, as is the soundtrack.
The main theme, in particular, gives me goosebumps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwyJ0aaM4k

(good youtube comment : this is a song you sit on your patio and light a cigarette to as the meteors come down)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 21:34 
Gogmagog

Iron Sky the director's cut: Fucking amaze. Wow. I have no idea what I just watched, but it was fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 21:36 
Sleepyhead

Inside Out is good. Not gonna break a Pixar's Best 3 Movies Ever chart or anything, but I was entertained. Very good voice cast, and some laugh out loud moments, but there were a few parts that dragged slightly. Everyone in our group (4 adults, 2 kids) enjoyed it well enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 22:00 

MaliA wrote:
Iron Sky the director's cut: Fucking amaze. Wow. I have no idea what I just watched, but it was fucking awesome.

Rite? I spent the whole thing being confused and surprised and about an hour after it finished my brain decided it had been great!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 0:00 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
Inside Out is good. Not gonna break a Pixar's Best 3 Movies Ever chart or anything, but I was entertained. Very good voice cast, and some laugh out loud moments, but there were a few parts that dragged slightly. Everyone in our group (4 adults, 2 kids) enjoyed it well enough.

Bing Bong, man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 
Gogmagog

krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Rite? I spent the whole thing being confused and surprised and about an hour after it finished my brain decided it had been great!

Yip, that is what my brain did, too! I am sure that on a second viewing, it'd be terrible, but my mind could not keep up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'Equilibrium' on Netflix last night, just because it was there really, and it had some good reviews, plus it's got Christian Bale in it who is quite a good actor.

BOBBINS FILM! It's like a mashup of an endless list of other (far better) sci-fi films, but most notably The Matrix. However instead of bullet time and really cool kung-fu stuff, it's got 'gun-katu' or some shit like that - which generally seems to mean Christian standing in the middle of a large group of strangely inert baddies whilst he hits them on the bonce with his guns and then shoots them.

There's also a lobby scene which is far worse than the lobby scene in The Matrix.

And the final fight is like, 'Really? He's going to fight him?' (Well it was more a case of slapsies than a proper fight.)

A few good ideas in there and the odd hint of something better, but in the main, shit.

3/10 - Not recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 
Prince of Fops

Curiosity wrote:

I loved it. It simplified the way the mind works into a way a three-year-old could understand. I loved all the stuff with core memories and long-term storage, and the way memories fade and disappear.

Not in the top 3? I guess I agree. The only films I could even consider putting above it are the toy stories and Monsters Inc. Maybe above the first Toy Story and Monsters Inc. So it could get bronze.

The Pixar short before it was shit though. Lava load of rubbish.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 422  Next