Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:47 
Rude Belittler

KovacsC wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Pretty sure I'd want a cross guard on my lightsabre really.

Yes me too

The little light saber things are stupid, though. Also pointless, because the point where the light saber meets the hilt would be where the cross guard is most useful, and thats just normal light saber hilt material.

Now if it had a big cortosis crossguard then...

:nerd:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:11 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Pundabaya wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Pretty sure I'd want a cross guard on my lightsabre really.

Yes me too

The little light saber things are stupid, though. Also pointless, because the point where the light saber meets the hilt would be where the cross guard is most useful, and thats just normal light saber hilt material.

Now if it had a big cortosis crossguard then...

:nerd:

So a modified fictional sword is silly :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:30 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Nah its fine, the radius of the opponents light saber means that it won't be able to touch the hilt. Not reeeeeealy an edged weapon is it?
/adenoids :nerd:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 0:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Transformers 4 is almost a good as the first one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:20 
SavyGamer

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Wow that bad?

Open Windows was pretty disappointing. I loved the director's previous movies, which were both an interesting premise with fantastic execution. Open Windows was an interesting premise but the film just didn't work. For the most part the entire film just a view of the protagonist's desktop, with windows showing views from various cameras. I didn't really feel much of a connection to any of the characters, it seems to spend the entire film explaining what's happening, but you never really get a sense of a coherent story. The way it is shot feels far more like an unsuccessful attempt at mitigating a small budget whilst still having a Hollywood actor in the lead role, rather than a stylistic choice. Not recommended.

Los Cronocrímenes and Extraterrestrial (2011) are both highly recommended though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:21 
Unpossible!

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I gave up about 5 hours in. Utter tosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

LewieP wrote:
If you are watching the original Star Wars for the first time, I highly recommend going for the Despecialized Edition, which you can find somewhere on the internet.

Topher Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topher_Grace) made a version of the prequels with all the shit taken out, all 3 films done in 85 minutes and apparently it was excellent, but he never released it.
http://cerealprize.com/trailers/redux-of-the-jedi

Then it turns out he did 2 edits, and both of them are out there, and then someone found them and has recut the best part of both of them, and made a single movie from them...

and here it is:

http://np.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/co ... text=10000?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 13:24 
Excellent Member

If you're watching Star Wars for the first time I highly recommend watching which ever version is easiest to get your hands on because Jesus Christ who cares. Fucking fanboys.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 13:35 
SavyGamer

I'm not really a Star Wars fanboy or anything. I just think they are pretty good movies.

But the original releases are definitely better, and I don't see why anyone would want to watch the worse versions of a film, other than curiosity to see the differences, which would also require having seen the originals anyway.

Edit: There is also The Phantom Edit of Episode One which seemed like an improvement but not by much to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 15:04 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
LewieP wrote:
If you are watching the original Star Wars for the first time, I highly recommend going for the Despecialized Edition, which you can find somewhere on the internet.

Topher Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topher_Grace) made a version of the prequels with all the shit taken out, all 3 films done in 85 minutes and apparently it was excellent, but he never released it.
http://cerealprize.com/trailers/redux-of-the-jedi

Then it turns out he did 2 edits, and both of them are out there, and then someone found them and has recut the best part of both of them, and made a single movie from them...

and here it is:

http://np.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/co ... text=10000?

I've downloaded that and am quite keen to see how it all works as one movie. Apparently Jake Lloyd has no remaining dialogue :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 15:16 
UltraMod

Meesa hope Jar-Jar is still in it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 15:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

He has one scene I think. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 18:31 
Soopah red DS

I quite liked The Hunger Games, though it is a bit thin, action-wise. Going in with low expectations worked for me.

After, Kajaki. A true story of the British Army in Afghanistan; not sure it has to be seen on the big screen, and the warning 'graphic description of wounds' is spot on, but it is brilliantly done and stayed with me for some time afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 20:35 
Excellent Member

Just watched the latest Kevin Smith film "TUSK".

Crikey, it's strange, and nothing like his earlier films (Clerks etc.).

Seems to nick ideas from horror film "The Human Centipede" and mix it up with a mixture of slapstick and black comedy.

Johnny Depp is in it (though I only realised it was him after he'd been on-screen for about 10 minutes - he has a ludicrous French accent and lots of facial hair).

Is it good ? Probably not. Is it interesting and worth watching once out of curiousity? Um..yes, I think....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 23:44 
Unpossible!

Watching the Star Wars edit. Episode 1 is completely excised apart from the Darth Maul fight!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 23:56 
Unpossible!

Deleted scenes! Portman midriff!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 0:07 
Unpossible!

Still too much whiny Anakin. Awful acting. Just awful

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 0:14 
Unpossible!

He killed them all! Like animals!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 0:33 
Unpossible!

The alien colluseum from episode 2 is still awesome.

More Portman midriff!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 
Excellent Member

Watched The Inbetweeners 2 last night, so rude and parts of it make you cringe as those guys as such clowns.

Made me laugh at lot though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 19:13 
Bad Girl

I watched The Inbetweeners 2 too.

It has poo and wee gags. Yes, in 2014.

I thought they could do better than that trash. Still there's a few laughs to be had, mind.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BertyBasset wrote:
Watched THE BABADOOK last night.

Very good Australian horror / thriller film that gets by very well on atmosphere, great acting from the two main characters (a mother & son) and a general sense of dread & unease.
It's far from original but it's quite unlike most modern American horror films that rely on cheap jump-scares & blatant music / soundtrack cues.

It currently has a 96% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's a bit over the top IMO but it's definately a very solid film. 8/10.

Edit : I forgot that the 96% is simply the percentage of reviewers who thought it was "good" rather than "bad". The average score from all reviewers is 8/10 so basically, what I said......

I just watched this and I was less impressed. It started off superbly, and if it was a film about a single mother with a difficult child, it would have been great.

Then the horror bits kicked in and it went downhill.

The book (the one in the film) was excellent, however.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Babadook spoiler:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was the dad, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 0:53 
Excellent Member

"The Imitation Game" what a beautiful film. Turing was a genius. Cumberbatch did him proud. 10/10 and highly recommended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:16 
UltraMod

LaceSensor wrote:
"The Imitation Game" what a beautiful film. Turing was a genius. Cumberbatch did him proud. 10/10 and highly recommended

It was bollocks. Insinuated he was a traitor when it wasn't true at all. So inaccurate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:58 
INFINITE POWAH

He was a traitor, though. And a rapist.

And, by all accounts, rather smelly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:02 
INFINITE POWAH

Hang on, I thought you meant the film about Julian Assange

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:33 
Excellent Member

American Nativity wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

It was betty. Insinuated he was a traitor when it wasn't true at all. So inaccurate.

I didnt really feel it perpetuated the idea he was a traitor, moreso someone in the group was a russian spy and at one point they thought it might have been him which all might have been BS but it was a nice side story.

If thats the extent of the inaccuracy im willing to overlook it in the name of drama and at least opening the eyes of people to a great person and a tragic tale of the treatment of homosexuals which is more important to me at least than 100% factual accuracy

then again, I like Braveheart, so there is your barometer

ps it was far from "betty"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 23:12 
Bad Girl

The greatest horror movie of all time, no, hang on... the greatest horror movie of recent times, no, hang on... a horror movie that was released relatively recently and I actually thought it was really really good was V/H/S.

You may disagree but you are wrong so you don't need to post about how you disagree because I've already countered your argument by pre-emptively telling you you're wrong.

So with that out the way, I watched V/H/S 3 or to give it its actual - terrible - title (which has joined in with the recent annoying trend of having a subtitle instead of a number) V/H/S: Viral. Least the Saw films had numbers, aye, and they were gash (Cept the first).

Here's the review, from me, right now:

A laughable loads of low budget bollocks.

I liked one of the silly stories which wouldn't have been out of place on The Twilight Zone. In fact, they all would, but the others would just be the crap stories. There was always more trash than good stuff, right? But none are scary. At all. Although the one I alluded to had the potential. And the camera stuff is terrible. They haven't even bothered to come up with good reasons for why each story is being filmed. Just terrible. There's some terrible awful screen effects that are just annoying this time round. It just ain't clever and original like the first one was. I suppose that's the problem with sequels in this genre; you've done it once/you can't do it again. Or you can, and it won't be as good. Oh, Cept the zombie one on VHS2. That was good.

So VHS3, you might as well watch it for the one story where the guy accidentally builds a machine to a parallel dimension. He meets himself who has done exactly the same as him (obv) and he agrees with himself to swop lives for 15 minutes and meet back at the machine. Turns out, the parallel dimension is where the men and women have alien penises and vaginas with teeth. Alien penis guy has sex with normal guy's missus almost killing her; she thinks it's the normal guy and kills him.

Oh, you don't need to see it now. Probably for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:30 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Shame, I really enjoyed the first two VHS films.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:35 
Bad Girl

I've watched some films. Here's my three word review of each:

The Equaliser: This film was

Lucy: What was that

The Mazerunner: I really didn't

The Happening: So the trees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 
SavyGamer

What I want to know about The Maze Runner: Why didn't they just make a ladder?

Also yeah I quite enjoyed The Equalizer although it was trash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:12 
Sleepyhead

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again last night. Just as enjoyable as the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again last night. Just as enjoyable as the first time.

Huh, me too.

"Nothing would go over my head, my reflexes are to fast. I would catch it."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Also yeah I quite enjoyed The Equalizer although it was trash.

I watched this last night.

Remove Denzel and the awesome bad guy from the equation and there wouldn't be much left, but as it stands it's a watchable piece of nonsense.

A very underused Chloe Grace Moretz as well, who appears to have gone straight from Hit Girl to Trashy Hooker In Push-Up Bra.

Too long as well, could have easily been pruned back to about 1h45m, and also it was a bit 'Man On Fire' except nowhere near as good as Man On Fire which was fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

I watched Lucy, Snowpiercer and The November Man over the weekend.

Lucy: Awful. Even if you suspend disbelief and accept the premise it is built on is reasonable, it still makes no sense and is totally illogical. As much as I love ScarJo, she was a terrible choice as the lead.

Snowpiercer: This was better than I expected. Equally as illogical as Lucy, but actually has some charm to it, so you can forgive that. Too long spent in the back of the train, and then a whistlestop tour through the front, until you are left with a thousand questions on how this world actually works, and then it ends. It's trash, but enjoyable and amusing in places.

The November Man: Standard spy stuff, generic as hell, didn't hold my attention.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 
Excellent Member

Guardians of the Galaxy was awful. It's was basically a kid's movie, and not a particularly good one like Lego. The directing was awful, completely over-edited (each shot lasted probably an average of 2 seconds, i felt that i was about to have an epilepsy attack) and the movie is a never ending sequence of boring set pieces without any juice whatsoever.

I also felt that there was no aesthetic consistency to it, as if there was the need to use every single colour that ever existed in it. Also, it's was also an overuse of green screen, one of the bane of contemporary blockbusters. It completely breaks any kind of immersion. It's basically actors against a CGI backdrop.

I agree with trooper about Snowpiercer. It was a movie that had no right of being this fun. It was quite dumb, and after ten minutes i thought i wasn't going to be able to endure it. But aesthetically it felt like a Terry Gilliam classic, like Brazil. The movie had a big heart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You're awful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 13:54 
EvilTrousers

I watched Captain Harlock : Space Pirate on Netflix on Saturday night.

It looks good but makes no fucking sense at all and has a fat man being comical in it. Because fat people are hilarious according to Japanese film makers.

I think I gave up 10 minutes before the end because it was all just too silly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:01 
Goth

Angel (1984) - A tale about a young girl involved in prostitution (seemingly of her own will) whilst a serial killer is um killing prostitutes. Generally a suspense thriller and surprisingly well acted for what is basically a bit of sexploitation rubbish. Not a great film but not a bad one either.

Angel 2 - Avenging Angel (1985) - The young girl is about 4 or 5 years older and now a college student. She hears of the murder of the cop who helped her leave the world of prostitution behind then teams up with some of her old friends to track down the killer. Unlike the first film this is completely absurd rubbish. Not particularly well acted and makes far less sense. But it's so much the better for it. It's really stupid 80s fun and comes highly recommended for that. It's more a madcap caper than a serious action thriller. So obviously this recommendation means you should avoid it like the plague. Coming soon to my couch... Angel 3: The Final Chapter (AKA The Search on UK DVD)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 23:08 
Bad Girl

So I'm watching Harry Potter on the telly and I'm bemused by the giant that looks like Lee Evans who is in it for two scenes and never mentioned again or seen in any of the other films. Turns out that he's in the books and in the final fight in the books. Makes the film a bit stupid and even more bloated though init (although this Potter has a more sensible run time).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 23:49 
Unpossible!

They cut out loads of stuff that could have helped the overall plot make sense but left in a lot of pointless shit. Such as Grawp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 
Sleepyhead

Bit weird that Sony are now not releasing 'The Interview' and have shelved another North Korean movie following threats of terrorism. Also interesting that this comes after the same people making the threats hacked Sony and published a ton of emails and personal details, salaries and whatnot in a very embarrassing episode for the company.

Anyone else think that the hackers have some blackmail material from their hack that they are using as leverage to stop the movie(s)?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Isn't the blackmail material "don't show the movie or we will blow op the theatres"? Seems pretty blackmail like to me! :)

I thought it was pulled due to the theatres pulling out and refusing to show it because of the threats, which isn't exactly the same as Sony saying no. I expect it'll come out via on-demand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
Isn't the blackmail material "don't show the movie or we will blow op the theatres"? Seems pretty blackmail like to me! :)

I thought it was pulled due to the theatres pulling out and refusing to show it because of the threats, which isn't exactly the same as Sony saying no. I expect it'll come out via on-demand.

Yeah, but that may just be a story. If Sony genuinely don't have anything secret held over them it'll be imminently released for download, as now it has all the publicity in the world and they can make a mint. If it strangely goes away forever...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pretty sure there's a whole load of bullshit floating around out there. Find it highly doubtful North Korea had much to do with the Sony hack, definitely don't think it's anything to do with The Interview.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 
Sleepyhead

Well, by all accounts it was the same group that did the hack as demanded that the film not be released.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah, but that may just be a story. If Sony genuinely don't have anything secret held over them it'll be imminently released for download, as now it has all the publicity in the world and they can make a mint. If it strangely goes away forever...

*hands tin hat* You'll need this now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 
Sleepyhead

American Nativity wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

No, that's how they control you now...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:12 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
American Nativity wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

No, that's how they control you now...

SHITTTTTTTTTT

I love Google.

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 423  Next