Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film isn't as bad as you might think.

It's certainly not great, but it's pretty funny and has some awesome bits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:35 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
and has some awesome bits.

completely misread that. And thank Christ it was a misread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, it does have Megan Fox in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 
Excellent Member

Don't understand why so many people hate Megan Fox. But I've only seen her on Transformers, so i'm not the best one to judge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:55 
Hello Hello Hello

JBR wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Check out 'Blue Valentine' if you haven't seen it already, utterly crushing at the end.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll stick it on my list!

I wouldn't say it's the same sort of film, as it were, but there's a similarity in there to what you were saying about What Maisie Knew (which I'll be watching tonight).

Also, it has Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams in it, if you like that sort of thing, I quite fancy them both to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 14:11 

JBR wrote:
What Maisie Knew. 'Undeniably hard to watch', I'm sure I read in a review, and that's not the half of it. A custody battle, beautifully seen through the eyes of the 6 year old daughter. Damn near tore my heart out. If you're actually a parent you might have some short-term 'my, but we're good parents', but at the cost of a probably disproportionate sense of your heart being removed. Lovely film but, ouch.

I watched this a few weeks ago, as it happens. I had read the Henry James novel when I was at Uni. Well, no, actually, I read part of it, because goodness me I HATED that book. Henry James cannot end a sentence. Each sentence is about twenty rambling pages long, it was painful.

Being set in the modern day kind of tore the film away from the bad memories of the book, for me. The film was great, though. I'm not a parent (so obviously do not understand anything about anything) but I was the child of bad parents, and pretty much a custody battle to get rid of me, so maybe I see it from a different angle, but I found the film particularly warm due to the other adult characters in it. Love can come from many places, and I had a nice little cry (I'll cry at a Fruit Pastille commercial, however, so don't take that as any measure).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 22:33 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Grim... wrote:
I watched Big Hero 6. It was pretty dull.

Who broke Grim...?

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 23:33 
Hello Hello Hello

JBR wrote:
What Maisie Knew. 'Undeniably hard to watch', I'm sure I read in a review, and that's not the half of it. A custody battle, beautifully seen through the eyes of the 6 year old daughter. Damn near tore my heart out. If you're actually a parent you might have some short-term 'my, but we're good parents', but at the cost of a probably disproportionate sense of your heart being removed. Lovely film but, ouch.

:this:

But also....

Mimi wrote:
Being set in the modern day kind of tore the film away from the bad memories of the book, for me. The film was great, though. I'm not a parent (so obviously do not understand anything about anything) but I was the child of bad parents, and pretty much a custody battle to get rid of me, so maybe I see it from a different angle, but I found the film particularly warm due to the other adult characters in it. Love can come from many places, and I had a nice little cry (I'll cry at a Fruit Pastille commercial, however, so don't take that as any measure).

:this:

Ultimately it was optimistic, the love of good people is far better than the fakery and destruction of shit parents, it doesn't have anything to do with them being biological parents - what a child needs is within the gift of any good person, and if the parents aren't up to it, then the child may very well be better off elsewhere.

As the film went on you see the light of Margo and Lincoln massively eclipse the darkness of Susanna and Beale, and from fairly early on I was like, 'Maisie really would be better off with these two.....'

Was the ending a little bit twee? Perhaps, but it was a story that needed it, we all know there are enough of these traumas being played out in real life with horrific consequences, so I'll settle for a happy ending here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 0:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Slightly Green wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I watched Big Hero 6. It was pretty dull.

Who broke Grim...?

Redeeming features:
It was pretty
Gave Alan Tudyk a job
Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

Not so good:
Everything else.

It wasn't exactly The Lion King, was it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 
SavyGamer

Yeah, on paper Big Hero 6 had plenty going for it, but I didn't find it particularly engaging.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 19:46 
Bad Girl

I agree with Grim.... I smiled twice thanks to the big balloon but other than that it was utter garbage.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 22:29 
Sleepyhead

I thought it was ace.

I especially liked everything to do with Baymax and the surfer dude type chap when he had his suit on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 23:54 
Excellent Member

Just watched the latest Hunger Games Film, flat to say the least, guess they are saving it all up for Part 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:51 
Goth

I agree with Grimm on Big Hero but I loved Hunger Games Part 3a. So much the time passed ridiculously quickly at the cinema. I was left wanting a lot more and was surprised when it ended but that's partly the fault of the pacing of splitting it in two. I could have sat through about 4 hours of that though.

Anyway last night I watched Chuck Norris in Forced Vengeance. Which was pretty terrible. Its big problem was that it was so incredibly dull and chuck's acting is so bad it's not even bad acting... it's just nothing. The fights are over very quickly with long sections of nothing at all between them. As much as I love martial arts films, this one was a failure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 23:13 
Soopah red DS

Just saw Whiplash - man, that's some good stuff. There was the odd moment where I thought 'do I not know jazz well enough to get this?' but it really wasn't an issue. Fabulous.

Glad you enjoyed WMK, Hearthly - I totally went for the happy ending without thinking it was too much. There was quite enough sadness in there to allow it, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 0:07 
Bad Girl

I've watched some films y'know:

Birdman: I watched it a little while ago but forgot to mention it on here even though it's the best thing I've seen in for-ages. Mesmerising performances from everyone involved. And Emma Stone. Yes, Emma Stone. Man I love Emma Stone. She's got twenty-something woman nailed to a tea. I hope she gets something meaty to get her teeth into soon. I'd love to see her opposite Dicaprio in something. But she'd need equal, if not greater, screen time than him. Birdman was great though. There's other people in it too. They're good. Oh I remember that fucking guy from that Las Vegas film is in it and utterly superb. Who knew he could actually act; and real good too.

Dumb & Dumber To: Fucking hell, man. I don't know why this exists. It's a bizarre thing: I couldn't get my head around it. It starts off terribly. It's garbage, and then it starts drawing me in and I laughed a couple of times; then it's fucking terrible again; then it's funny; then the gags are drawn out rubbish and so on. I'm sure it's terrible but it isn't "quite" as terrible as I thought it was going to be. But it's stilll terrible. But then again it's sorta watchable too. But it's terrible. But then etc etc etc. Ok, I can't make my mind up about it. It's sorta bad but ok. It's definitely not good though.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1: colon: God it's bad. It's so frigging deathly dull. It's also utter gobshite throughout. Without the focus on the titular games there's just fuck all going on for, what, over two hours? WHERE DO FILMS HAVE THE NERVE TO GO ON FOR SO LONG THESE DAYS!? I mean, come on, tightly focused storytelling is (or was) a staple of the film industry. There's no reason why this film exists except to milk the teats of teeny girls (presumably - I don't know who these films are for really. Kids?). Plus, it's too dark. The other films weren't this dark and I don't like it. And it's boring. Probably cause nowt happens that couldn't happen in 30-40 minutes.

The Interview: I can't remember if I mentioned this. Worse. Film. I've. Ever. Watched. Actually I think I did mention it.

Nightcrawler: Did I mention this? It's brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Actually I'm sure I did mention this. I'll just stop now...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 0:13 
Bad Girl

I meant literally too dark, an' all. I turned the brightness up but it just made the screen largely grey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 0:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh god I love Emma Stone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:05 
Hello Hello Hello

I'll see your Emma Stone and raise you an Amy Adams in a see-through bra and knickers in 'The Fighter'. (Not sure if that counts on the Craster scale or not, but it must be close.)

So yes tonight's film was The Fighter which is a dead good dramatic family boxing type thing starring Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg, but also Amy Adams in her underwear.

MASSIVELY BETTER than 'The Warrior' which I thought was totally shit despite you thinking they'd be thematically similar films from the titles.

The Fighter is on Netflix UK and I much recommend it - 8.5/10.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 
Excellent Member

The Interview is literally the worst thing I've ever experienced. I've been heartbroken, I've been miserable, I've been depressed. Still, nothing has come close to the time I spent watching The Interview. I would genuinely rather be tortured to death by the North Korean regime than ever sit through that film again. It so blatantly, mind-bogglingly fuck-awful that I honestly wonder whether it's been done on purpose. Not because I can actually think of any justification for it but more because I'm not sure I want to live in a world where people look at this atrocity and genuinely think, "Yes. That will do."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So Big Hero 6 won the Oscar for best animated movie, so what the hell do I know?

Well, I know it's not even close to being as good as the criminally un-fucking-nominated (for best animated film) Lego Movie, for starters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:07 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Grim... wrote:
So Big Hero 6 won the Oscar for best animated movie, so what the hell do I know?

Well, I know it's not even close to being as good as the criminally un-fucking-nominated (for best animated film) Lego Movie, for starters.

:this: :this:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Before introducing the nominees for best animated film, NPH said "If you’re at the awards party with the guys who made the Lego Movie, now would be a good time to distract them." :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:09 
Bad Girl

Look, let's be honest to ourselves, even Frozen was a big turd that doesn't stand up with the best of Disney's older films or the earlier output from Pixar. Yet that made nuff money and had bags of success.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Um... And?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:14 
SavyGamer

Frozen was great!

I preferred The Lego Movie, although I imagine the fact that much of the (excellent) humour relied on nostalgia would mean that it skews towards an older audience (even though no doubt children would be entertained by it too) than Disney stuff, which could have been a factor in it not getting nominated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:15 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Um... And?

Disney's recent output is rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:17 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I liked Frozen and Lego :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:17 
Bad Girl

Hang on, it seems they did LEGO movie. Well shut my mouth. Did not know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Frozen was alright, Planes 2 was surprisingly good (and better than Big Hero 6), Maleficent was good, Muppets Most Wanted was... Well, that was pretty crap, granted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:

Warner Bros. did the Lego movie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 15:17 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Look, let's be honest to ourselves, even Frozen was a big turd that doesn't stand up with the best of Disney's older films or the earlier output from Pixar. Yet that made nuff money and had bags of success.

Disney have the magic touch when it comes to making money. The Marvel films , Animated stuff they do in house and now the Star wars films.

The last Thor film was mediocre to say the least but even that made 650 Million Dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 17:27 
Sleepyhead

LEGO movie was ace, but Frozen was also very good and Big Hero 6 was ace.

Planes 2 wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't have seen it without child, and miles behind the above three.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 18:48 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I was all over the place earlier. I've no idea what I read.

ANYWAY...

Had Disney released this as a full length movie rather than Big Hero 6 I would chuck fistfuls of cash at it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2heb9v

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 20:49 
Sleepyhead

That was on before BH6 wasn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 21:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It was at the cinema that I went to. It won the "short animation" Oscar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 21:49 
INFINITE POWAH

BH6 was ace you utter looney.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 21:54 
Best
Board Mother

Saturnalian wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I was all over the place earlier. I've no idea what I read.

ANYWAY...

Had Disney released this as a full length movie rather than Big Hero 6 I would chuck fistfuls of cash at it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2heb9v

Not seen BH6 yet, but enjoyed that! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:19 
Can you dig it?

The Theory of a Everything was a lovely film, I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed seeing one of my favourite Chelsea players on the big screen.

He's here, he's there, he's every-fucking-where...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 13:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Rewatched 'The Running Man' a couple of nights ago, (it's on Netflix USA but not UK for some reason), mustn't have seen that film for twenty years or more.

I wasn't expecting much, just a bit of fun 80s cheese with typical Arnie violence, and whilst it almost delivered, I couldn't help but think it was simply a load of crap as the credits rolled.

The best bit was definitely María Conchita Alonso in her underwear, although things did not develop into a 1 on the Craster scale, unfortunately.

4/10 - It ain't no Commando or Predator, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 14:59 

Are you mad? The Running Man is one of Arnie's best (although not necessarily because of Arnie.)

Not a patch on the book, granted, but they're very different beasts.

Went to see Kingsman: The Secret Service the other day. Terrific movie, great performances from all of the cast and although the plot is tired and has been done many times before, it worked very well. Great performance from Taron Egerton too as the unlikely hero.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:48 
Gogmagog

I am Number Four - like someone explained a monster of the week Buff episode to a drunk person who then made a 2 hour film about it. Badly. Has Quinn from Glee in it, and a beagle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 23:53 
Hello Hello Hello

I realise it's already had a fair bit of loving earlier in this thread but I finally got round to watching Gone Girl this evening.

Holy shit, that's a damn good film. Didn't put a step wrong in any direction, I didn't know anything about it going in so it was a veritable treat of dark mystery and intrigue.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
And by crikey Rosamund Pike was seriously terrifying by the end. And by fuck it's bleak, but that's good because I like bleak. Also the bit where the lawyer kept throwing the gummy bears at him was well funny. Oh yes and Rosamund's bottom is lovely.

Solid 9/10, maybe even 9.5/10 - Nearly two and a half hours long (which is usually into annoyance territory for me), but it had me riveted from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:01 
INFINITE POWAH

I did enjoy that film. Barney Stinson's best outing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:26 
Excellent Member

I loved the bleakness of it. I also knew nothing about it going in and the fact this was a major Hollywood film that basically said, "Trust no one; relationships are terrible." was brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Total. Boy film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:30 
Excellent Member

Note: not because I actually believe that of relationships. Entirely because in a world where every fucking ending to every film ever has to be the fucking 'happy' ending because test audiences shit their stupid pants at the idea of a genuine character-driven outcome I see this a victory for interestingly fucked-up narratives everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Boy. Film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:48 
Excellent Member

Kissyfur's life: depressing. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 0:50 
INFINITE POWAH

It'snot just me. THEY@RE R/unNINGHTE CO~JNTRY!!!

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 423  Next