Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 14:16 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Across the spider verse

After the first 20 minutes "They should make a Spider-Gwen spin off" (they are!)
After the next 20 minutes "This is great , they should also be making more of these with Miles" (they sorta are but in reality is the other 1/2 of this one)

Loved it but its going to be a long wait for the next part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 21:53 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just watched the new Ninja Turtle film.

Really loved the quirky art style. Passed the 6 laugh test.

There was humour in there for both kids and adults. Really really funny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:00 
Gogmagog

The Blackening is a very entertaining way to spend 90 mins or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 14:44 
Decapodian

Fast X was complete and utter bollocks, even by their low standards. More importantly, it failed to be entertaining so we stopped watching after an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 18:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mali is correct. Zoidberg is incorrect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:28 
Hibernating Druid

Watched two food based films back to back on Friday, The Menu & The Platform. Enjoyed both.

Also rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road and enjoyed that again too, was there ever a follow up mentioned?

Oh and I tried to watch Dune but my family forcefully rejected it. I’ll finish watching that on my own as I liked what I’d seen.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:44 

I don't think there's a "follow-up" to Fury Road in the works, but there is a prequel movie centred around Furiosa (called, funnily enough, Furiosa) with Anya Taylor-Joy taking over from Charlize Theron.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:39 
Sitting balls-back folder

Helen actually stayed awake right to the end of Dune!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 19:09 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:
Watched two food based films back to back on Friday, The Menu & The Platform. Enjoyed both.

Also rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road and enjoyed that again too, was there ever a follow up mentioned?

Oh and I tried to watch Dune but my family forcefully rejected it. I’ll finish watching that on my own as I liked what I’d seen.

The Platform is superb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 14:26 
Bad Girl

I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Look, imma say this first: it was an entertaining and fun film. It feels like an Indiana Jones film. I thought it was alright, even. But after I’d finished watching it, when I thought about it, I liked it significantly less. Fewer.

Anyway, I’ll say this an’ all: it looked expensive. Like 90% of the 300 million dollar budget had been spent on VFX. But when you’ve got a film based on a beloved trilogy you probably don’t want your film looking like every scene is filmed on a green screen and your face filled with particle effects. It really needed to look more grounded than it does during every action sequence. It’s a fun ride but it doesn’t compare to the practical effects of the originals when it’s so obvious that no one is actually in the scene being rendered by the power of a million computers. Sometimes less is more. Fewer.

There’s one egregious bit that just stuck with me and it’s a fake Indy hopping over trains in the distance. It was so shit. It’s only a couple of seconds, but still. And just other stuff like this diving sequence… oh man, it’s so terrible in retrospect with zero atmosphere. All these computer generated eels some out of nowhere and fill the scene like so many ‘end of a marvel film’ enemies. God, I just wanted them to put just a couple of eels in and make the scene more scary. Scarier.

So yeah, it’s pretty decent for a big budget film that unfortunately falls into the same traps as every single other big budget film these days with the new modern clichés.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 14:41 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Yes...pretty much the above.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 22:15 
Bad Girl

That abrupt ending tho? Christ, the more I think about it the more I want to punch someone in the throat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 22:31 
Bad Girl

I also watched Strays.

I love dogs. I FUCKING LOVE THEM. Ok, well, I love my dog. But this film about dogs made me so angry. Basically it’s Sausage Party but with talking dogs.

And what’s with “adult comedy” just saying “fuck” in every sentence as being the joke? I was fuming how shit it was. If you’ve watched the trailer - you’ve literally seen all the decent jokes. I imagine lots of this was improvised with Will sodding Ferrell doing his usual schtick, which, frankly, has got real stale recently.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/26Xq6_g2r6Q?si=OfsbJdy3Y4Bv-6Y9

Gotta say though, the CG for the dogs talking and stuff is really great though, especially since dog faces are so hairy.

You might get more mileage with it then me, but I was a bit bored by it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 13:16 
Bad Girl

I also watched Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

1/10 and yet better than the previous instalments.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 21:40 
Bad Girl

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is GREAT!

Proper great. I had a really great time watching this. It’s propah funny, looks AMAZING (kinda like CG plasticine, stop motion and a comic book), the characters are all great, Ice Cube is TERRIFIC, the story belts along at a nice pace, Jackie Chan is ALSO ACE, and I don’t think I can say a bad word about it.

I might have enjoyed this more than Spider-Man to be honest. No, hang on, maybe slightly less.

Go. See. It.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 23:59 
Can you dig it?

Quote:
I might have enjoyed this more than Spider-Man to be honest. No, hang on, maybe slightly less.

Wow, that's certainly got me interested.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 20:37 
Gogmagog

The Barbie film is absolutely brilliant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 21:24 
Decapodian

MaliA wrote:
The Barbie film is absolutely brilliant

Two thirds through it now, and yes it is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:53 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Watched 'No One will Save You' last night on Disney. Excellent stuff, it was about the hour mark until I realised that no-one had said anything. Well worth checking out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 13:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Help Ashens out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/as ... in-reverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 16:51 
Hibernating Druid

Looks like he’s smashed it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:54 
Can you dig it?

I watched some films recently:

The new Turtles (whatever it was called) film at the cinema: It was pretty good, and yet I wasn't all that into it, it just didn't really grab me but I was kinda tired even before it started. For me, it was not as good as any of the spiderverse films (which are excellent, and TBH many films would struggle in comparison to spiderverse). I think I may have dozed off a little bit in the final part of the film.

Beauty and the Beast - the recent (2017) live action one: Lady T and her sister went with our daughter to see the stage show the other week. Actually, the film isn't that recent at all, 2017 was six years ago... where has the time gone??? Anyway, I enjoyed the film, the actors for Belle and Gaston were both really good in the role, Cogsworth and Lumiere were excellent too. I genuinely really enjoyed this, much more than i was expecting. Although, the beast himself was a little disappointing.

Men in Black International - I went into this expecting to HATE it but it wasn't that bad. Perhaps going in with such low expectations made the film feel less bad. The chemistry between Thor and Valkyrie was still there, somewhat, but felt diminished and a little forced and awkward. As a film, it didn't seem particularly inspired but it was a mildly entertaining diversion. I can imagine that if I was on a boring long haul flight I'd watch this film, and then tell people that I thought it was OK.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 21:42 
Soopah red DS

Marvels (The). Good, but runs out of steam. The leads are good, and it's great pretty much whenever Kamala Khan (and to an extent her family) in on screen. The very end is nice, but odd as an ending - sure it would once have been a mid-credit sequence (now there is one of those, but nothing substantial at the very end. I didn't stick around to hear it).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 15:29 
Bad Girl

I watched a filum!

The Killer

The David Fincher filum. It’s paced excellently and old “I’ll do the fingering” Fasbender is excellent. As I was watching I was thinking it’s sort of like a modern take of American Psycho yet not as complex or enthralling. Shame really, but it’s still excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 15:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I watched 21 and 22 Jump Street, which remain excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 15:45 

I have mixed feelings about this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 16:05 
Unpossible!

Chris Pratt. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 21:10 
Can you dig it?

Grim... wrote:
I watched 21 and 22 Jump Street, which remain excellent.

Totally, they're incredibly funny. The first one caught me by surprise - I wasn't expecting such brilliance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 21:52 
Isn't that lovely?

JBR wrote:
Marvels (The). Good, but runs out of steam. The leads are good, and it's great pretty much whenever Kamala Khan (and to an extent her family) in on screen. The very end is nice, but odd as an ending - sure it would once have been a mid-credit sequence (now there is one of those, but nothing substantial at the very end. I didn't stick around to hear it).

Watched this for free (thanks Idris Elba and Sky Cinema)

I quite enjoyed it, not amazing, but adequate and fun.

My biggest disappointment was:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The singing planet section didn't have more singing. I was expecting a Bollywood number, but it just sorta stopped!

My favourite thing was every scene with Kamala in it. She's just wonderful.

One thing I noticed

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Random costume changes between consecutive scenes!

I noticed two, but there were probably more...

1) Ms Marvel wearing her hero outfit, demonstrates her power and swaps with Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel then takes off from the garden, and swaps back with Ms Marvel falling back to earth wearing her regular clothes.

2) before going into the memory devices Captain Marvel is wearing a white crop tank top, afterwards she is wearing a black t-shirt, and I'm pretty sure Monica's clothes changed too

Anyone else notice this? Or other times they changed?

I thought they might address it in the film, but they didn't. I did wonder if it was poor continuity, but surely nothing so major would pass uncorrected?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 21:52 
Bad Girl

The Equalizer 3 aka the Equalizer goes on holiday aka the Equalizer goes on a side quest is a movie. Just about. It has some fun kills but that amounts to about 5 minutes of filum. The rest is the Equalizer chilling in some Italian hamlet having tea and getting to know the locals. It ain’t great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 22:47 
Bad Girl

Ooh and I finally watched Barbie an’ all.

I liked it a lot! I thought it was genuinely funny in parts.

But I was a bit bored by the final act after the incredible dancing had finished. Wrapping it up just got a bit tedious for me. Ryan Gosling’s bod was a bit weird and distracting as well. He’s got a weird musculature hasn’t it? Was some of that CGI or what? Kept weirding me out. That kid was a bit annoying as well. And the mum too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 18:37 
Decapodian

The Marvels made me smile all the way through. Iman Vellani’s obvious joy is contagious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 22:38 
Can you dig it?

I remember seeing adverts for 'Cock Blockers'* and thinking it looked funny, John Cena looked funny, and would be a fun film. So I finally got round to watching it. There were a couple of really good laugh-out-loud moments, it was pretty funny but it wasn't a hysterically funny film. A solid 73% and I have no regrets watching it, but at the same time if it was ever on tv and all the other channels were for some reason mysteriously unavailable, I'd probably go and do something else instead of watch it again.

*(or, just 'Blockers' as they don't want to fall fowl of any rules - I'm sure there is another word I could use to describe this ever so slightly cowardly approach, but I just can't think of it. It's probably some animal or something).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 22:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

How does a film like The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent get made, even allowing for the unlikely existence and success of Nicolas cage?

Being John Malkovich was a one off, an anomaly, and here we are with this as well!

Surely Jeff Goldblum gets the third entry in this trilogy at some point?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 19:10 
Hibernating Druid

Enjoyed watching Renfield last night. Fans of Nicolas Cage, gore and daftness will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 14:41 

It's a bit of a meme on the Interwebs that you can watch Gary Oldman in a movie without realising it's Gary Oldman, because he's just *that* good at diving deep into the roles that he plays.

Some people might experience this, but not me. I've always been able to instantly tell that it's Gary Oldman -- he's just got too distinctive a face. Doesn't matter what role he's playing, it's always clear to me.

I've never seen True Romance. But I saw a clip of it earlier, where Oldman's character (Drexl Spivey) is essentially showboating and taunting Christan Slater's character shortly before they get into a fight.

And whilst I could instantly tell that it was Gary Oldman, for the first time I was genuinely taken aback at the fact that it was Gary Oldman. He might have looked like him, but he sure as fuck didn't sound like anything I expected Gary Oldman to sound like. An incredible turn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 14:52 
Isn't that lovely?

I love True Romance, One of Christian Slater's best films, and cameos from Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Christopher Walken and Dennis Hoper just add to it

However, I really dislike Gary Oldman's performance in it (and other 90s films like Leon , Air Force One and Fifth Element)

Giphy "bring everyone":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/M2u5HF6f721LzmmI2A/giphy-loop.mp4

He's done some good stuff since then, but I was not keen on him for some time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 14:52 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc wrote:
Giphy "bring everyone":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/26FeZPQxh4VtLCZji/giphy-loop.mp4

FFS Giphy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 14:55 
Isn't that lovely?

Fine,

I'll do it manually

Attachment:
everyone.gif

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 19:53 
Hibernating Druid

Gary Oldmsn in the 5th Element is my personal favourite.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 20:49 
Skillmeister

Is gud, but he was amazing in Sid and Nancy tooey for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 22:41 
Sleepyhead

I watched District 9 again last night. It's still fokkin' brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 19:26 
Decapodian

My local cinema chain went under, but fortunately the site is being bought by an Irish chain and reopens soon.
https://deadline.com/2023/12/omniplex-c ... 235649823/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 22:26 
Gogmagog

Mali's Xmas movies.

1) A Merry Christmas Wish - a lady who works in The Big City in a trendy job of Marketing returns to her hometown as her great uncle died and there's a farm. And a Christmas show to put on. And homely stuff. Hallmark made this so that automatically means a solid 7/10 and it gets an extra point for me thinking Negan from Walking Dead was. In it (he isn't) so 8/10. Also, police.corruption and nepotism feature heavily, so 9/10.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 22:44 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Mali's Xmas movies.

1) A Merry Christmas Wish - a lady who works in The Big City in a trendy job of Marketing returns to her hometown as her great uncle died and there's a farm. And a Christmas show to put on. And homely stuff. Hallmark made this so that automatically means a solid 7/10 and it gets an extra point for me thinking Negan from Walking Dead was. In it (he isn't) so 8/10. Also, police.corruption and nepotism feature heavily, so 9/10.

Spoilers,.film number two on the list is already up to an 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 23:14 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mali's Xmas movies.

Spoilers,.film number two on the list is already up to an 8

Just dropped to a two as a result of "turning up somewhere and cooking in someone else 's kitchen"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 23:55 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Mali's Xmas movies.

2) finding santa - a stunning deep dive into moving out of the shadow of ones parents as a business savvy lady faces a struggle to put on a Christmas parade. A solid knitwear game from the costume department deserves applause.

9/10 and 7 of them are for a brilliant joke in the first ten minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

@maliA Mrs Grim... is addicted to Christmas movies in this "period" (which began on November 1st when the Christmas 24 channel returned) so I've probably seen about 20 Christmas movies so far. The best three so far this year have been Love Hard (Netflix), Holidate (which has a properly funny bit at the end) and Will you Merry Me, which is a bit older now but actually a good movie.

A Christmas Prince is this years "big" Christmas movie, and it was okay, I guess.

Also, you didn't mention that Finding Christmas has the hot Cylon lady in, or that A Merry Christmas Wish was directed by Bradley Walsh. This makes me doubt your Christmas Movie credentials, although not as much as giving any of them more than 6 out of 10.

Finally, It's A Wonderful Knife should be your next stop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Also, you didn't mention that Finding Christmas has the hot Cylon lady in, or that A Merry Christmas Wish was directed by Bradley Walsh.

But not THE Bradley Walsh

edit: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0909568/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

This Dude found his niche and stuck to it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I never thought to check that when I saw his name. I'm sticking with my head version.

Reply to topic  [ 21125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423  Next