Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 16:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Few recent ones from me:

THE ROVER - Post-'collapse' film set in Australia. The nature of the collapse is never explained and US dollars are still accepted as currency but not AUS dollars. Also there appears to be a functioning army/mercenary type structure going on but nothing in the way of law and order.

Guy Pearce almost carries the enterprise on charisma alone but not quite. He's an underwritten character and I never much felt I got to know him so why I should care in particular what happened to him. The rest of the cast are arguably written better than he is, the cinematography is gorgeous, it all seems to be very well done and yet it didn't click for me - the ending didn't really ring true or 'worth it' either.

6/10, not a bad film but it didn't connect properly.

DOM HEMINGWAY - An astounding performance from (almost unrecognisable) Jude Law but unfortunately he's portraying a bit of a cunt. Great to see Richard E Grant in a decent part and all-round a very solid film, albeit with the constant problem that the protagonist is fundamentally rather unlikeable.

Has a fab section in the middle where Dom is trying to get some work off an old adversary.

I would recommend this as I did enjoy it, and maybe we're supposed to like Dom, I'm not sure.

7/10.

THE BATTERY - Ultra low-budget zombie flick (apparently just a $6000 dollar budget) but would be my choice of the three films. It's more a character piece than a zombie flick, and fortunately the two main characters (and indeed almost the only two characters) are interesting folks - both of whom I warmed to in the main.

Well written and acted, and whilst it's no effects extravaganza it does just about manage to do enough in that department.

The final 'scene' is pretty damn brave in term of its running length and limited scope but by then I'd totally bought into the scenario and the characters so I wasn't remotely bored, and genuinely wanted to see how it all panned out.

A proper little gem this one.

8/10.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 16:46 
SavyGamer

Yeah The Battery is ace.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'Escape From Alcatraz' last night, the 1979 Clint Eastwood film, it's on Netflix UK.

Not a bad flick at all, based on the true story of the only three men to ever successfully escape from Alcatraz (technically speaking it's never been proved if they drowned or survived, but they were certainly never found, dead or alive).

I enjoyed it, and it's a well regarded film, you won't go too far wrong in setting a couple of hours aside for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 17:52 

We watched The Fisher King the other night. It's been in our Netflix queue for many months. Robin Williams' performance is as charming as usual, you'll find it hard not to fall in love with his character a little, and added little pangs considering his recent suicide.

The scene of his recurring vision just didn't sit right for me. I know Terry Gilliam seems to either get it dead on or so far from the mark that the mark isn't in the same continent, but this was different: it was just a bit 'off' - like, the lighting wasn't quite right. It looked like a drizzly day on Cannock Chase.

Apart from that, however, absolutely brilliant.

We also watched Dead Man Walking, Sean Penn playing a man on death row who finds solace in forming a friendship with a slightly naive nun (Susan Sarandon). Great performances all around, very much character driven and the character development is handled beautifully.

We watched Safety Not Guaranteed last night. A slightly silly film, but with some very touching and poignant moments due to the shifting perceptions of the characters. Once you strip away the situation, you're left with a lovely story of loss and subsequent growth and the resilience of human spirit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 18:10 
Excellent Member

I watched Safety Not Guaranteed last night as well and really enjoyed it. I was expecting something pretty lightweight but once it settled down it was a lovely bittersweet character study.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 18:11 

Hearthly wrote:
Watched 'Escape From Alcatraz' last night, the 1979 Clint Eastwood film, it's on Netflix UK.

Not a bad flick at all, based on the true story of the only three men to ever successfully escape from Alcatraz (technically speaking it's never been proved if they drowned or survived, but they were certainly never found, dead or alive).

I enjoyed it, and it's a well regarded film, you won't go too far wrong in setting a couple of hours aside for it.

One of my favourites.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 18:58 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
I watched Safety Not Guaranteed last night as well and really enjoyed it. I was expecting something pretty lightweight but once it settled down it was a lovely bittersweet character study.

I really liked it. That, and Joe, who lives at home".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 19:02 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:

I keep meaning to watch it as I love Jake Johnson, and whimsy, and time travel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 20:49 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I keep meaning to watch it as I love Jake Johnson, and whimsy, and time travel.

Yeah, him and, to a lesser extent, Aubrey Plaza, were the reasons I put it on my list the first place.

If you like him I can also thoroughly recommended Drinking Buddies which also looks like it's going to be a comedy and turns out to have a lot more to say for itself. That even comes with bonus Olivia Wilde being hot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 22:37 
Excellent Member

Gone Girl is really really great
Another instant hit from Fincher; the guy can do no wrong in my book

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 
Hello Hello Hello

LaceSensor wrote:

'The Game'? That was pretty bad, even with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn doing their best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:15 
Goth

I thought The Game was really good. But anyway.

I saw the film House (1986) - A really odd mess of a movie that mixes horror and comedy. Often played straight and for laughs at the same time in a really odd kind of way. I think I liked it but not quite sure...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

I watched The Rover last night, which was very good I thought. Bit let down by the ending though.

Also, I watched Draft Day, which was great, but I imagine you have to like that type of film. It's very American schmaltzy and a typical sports based movie, it's basically Moneyball crossed with Jerry Maguire (and not quite as good as either) but with Kevin Costner and based on the NFL draft wranglings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 
Excellent Member

Watch Sex Tape over the weekend, it has one or two very funny twisted comedy moments, but is largely not that funny overall.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 18:35 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

'The Game'? That was pretty bad, even with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn doing their best.

i just rate Fincher, tbh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 18:38 

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is a load of half-baked drivel. Struggled to even stay awake.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 19:17 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Just watched "Space Station 76"...and I'm really struggling to understand why it was made. The central conceit of "Hey, it's space and it's the seventies" is an interesting premise but it doesn't do anything with it.

It's not funny enough to be a comedy
It's not dramatic enough to be a drama
The relationships are not developed enough to be interesting in any way.

The best character in the piece is "Doctor Bot" the robotic shrink...and he's not in it for more than five minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 21:36 
Excellent Member

Holy shit, Gone Girl is really fucking good. As a portrait of relationships though it's as bleak as all hell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 21:38 
Goth

I also agree that Gone Girl is really fucking good. And as a portrait of relationships it's bleak as hell.

Boxtrolls however is merely an okay kind of film. Looks nice but never fully hits higher than pleasant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 23:10 
Sleepyhead

The Book of Life.

Only seen a trailer. Looks average in terms of everything other than the animation and art design, which is incredible. Looks beautiful.

Won't bother watching it though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 20:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Chef

Really really good, surprisingly so. An honest, straightforward, well acted, well made great story, with no tricks or movie clichés.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 
Goth

I hated Chef. Utterly utterly despised it. So there are few recommendations better than that.

I watched Dredd again last night and I still think the star of the show was Lena Heady. Karl Urban does the absolute best he can with the role but I never really feel fully convinced by him. He's just not big and grufty enough if you ask me and perhaps I just know the actor too well. But then I'm not someone who has read much (well any) Judge Dredd but it's just the impression I get from the art of JD.

Lena's performance is wonderful I feel as she seems to own the character so well and be utterly different from previous roles she's played. A fine actress in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:51 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I think I will watch Dredd again.

I agree about Lena, but I think Karl did a stirling job, as Joe is not known for his charisma.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

His name is stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 
Master of dodgy spelling....

who??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 
Sleepyhead

Karl Urban?

Sounds like he should be up for a MOBO award.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:01 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Chef

Really really good, surprisingly so. An honest, straightforward, well acted, well made great story, with no tricks or movie clichés.

We watched this as the weekend thought it was ok for a film that was more my wife's thing than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

asfish wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Chef

We watched this as the weekend thought it was ok for a film that was more my wife's thing than mine.

I thought it was a breath of fresh air. There were no random tedious sub-plots, no obviously stupid decisions and actions made by the main characters, no cliched stereotyped characters. It was a simple story, well made and well acted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 
Excellent Painter

Derek The Halls wrote:
I hated Chef. Utterly utterly despised it. So there are few recommendations better than that.

I watched Dredd again last night and I still think the star of the show was Lena Heady. Karl Urban does the absolute best he can with the role but I never really feel fully convinced by him. He's just not big and grufty enough if you ask me and perhaps I just know the actor too well. But then I'm not someone who has read much (well any) Judge Dredd but it's just the impression I get from the art of JD.

Lena's performance is wonderful I feel as she seems to own the character so well and be utterly different from previous roles she's played. A fine actress in my opinion.

See, I grew up reading 2000AD and think that Urban was fine. Dredd was always lacking in character and wasn't terribly big either, certainly no muscle man in a superhero vain, more wiry. I think the problem with the film was that the history of the character and the well known stories from the comics imbued a false level of expectation (for me, obviously), and the story was so slight, that there was no room for development of the characters at all. In those situations, the pantomime villainy of Headey is always going to stand out. Not to take anything away from Headey's performance, which as you say, was very good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 
Excellent Member

DBSnappa wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

See, I grew up reading 2000AD and think that Urban was fine. Dredd was always lacking in character and wasn't terribly big either, certainly no muscle man in a superhero vain, more wiry. I think the problem with the film was that the history of the character and the well known stories from the comics imbued a false level of expectation (for me, obviously), and the story was so slight, that there was no room for development of the characters at all. In those situations, the pantomime villainy of Headey is always going to stand out. Not to take anything away from Headey's performance, which as you say, was very good.

Both Dredd films disappointed me, huge fan of the comic strip and there is so much material to choose from, yet neither film really took advantage of it.

Would be nice to see a 3 part movie of the Cursed Earth or Judge Child, but don't think that it has taken off as well as some of the Marvel stuff has

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 20:31 
Goth

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the forthcoming Dredd web series. I think it may suit a series more than it will suit a film.

Anyway I saw Maze Runner today. It's very post Hunger Games with a touch of Lord of the Flies. It's also a bit Cube for Kids. Something about it rubbed me up the wrong way. Probably just that this the third Hunger Games alike I've seen this year (Divergent, The Giver) and none of the actors really had much presence. Utterly inconsequential and probably best off missed. Bored.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 21:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Derek The Halls wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow is definitely quite good.

Another upvote for Edge of Tomorrow from me, which I have just finished watching.

A fine example of a good Hollywood film, where they chuck a load of money at awesome special effects and action sequences and a top name star BUT still remember to include a compelling story and characters you care about.

And I re-iterate what I said earlier, Tom Cruise is a fine leading man who's got some proper acting chops and you want to buy into him, however much of the crazies he might have in real life.

Great film, a solid 8/10, in fact I'll go 8.5/10.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 
Sleepyhead

Singham!

Amazing.

Any action movie with comedy sound effects, awesome fight scenes, several song and dance routines, and a hero who fights corruption and murder via the means of corruption and murder.

What's not to love?

Singham!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 
Unpossible!

Watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night. Surprisingly excellent. I've seen a few Wes Anderson movies before and was entertained, buy the style and whimsy was always a bit overwhelming, but this was more like Wes Anderson does The Coen Brothers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Singham!

Amazing.

Any action movie with comedy sound effects, awesome fight scenes, several song and dance routines, and a hero who fights corruption and murder via the means of corruption and murder.

What's not to love?

Singham!

I felt it set a bad example to impressionable minds - ie Russ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

American Nervoso wrote:

Yeh, Russ is going to book a flight to Budapest and open a massive hotel if we aren't careful

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 
UltraMod

Slightly Green wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Yeh, Russ is going to book a flight to Budapest and open a massive hotel if we aren't careful

I've now made you look silly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Singham!

Amazing.

What's not to love?

Singham!

And an intermission!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 13:12 
Gogmagog

Watching it again now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 13:45 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

American Nervoso wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

I've now made you look silly.

Thats fine, I have looked silly most of my life.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 18:07 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yawn... I'm a little fed up with superhero movies. It seems a little overkill to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Yawn... I'm a little fed up with superhero movies. It seems a little overkill to me.

I don't think the handful a year that have been released up to this point can reasonably be called overkill; but some of the stuff on that list is scraping the barrel a little and having ten (!) films coming out in 2017 is a bit much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 
UltraMod

As long as the quality remains high, I say bring them on. Comic book films were largely terrible for so long, let's revel in this golden age!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 

Derek The Halls wrote:
Probably just that this the third Hunger Games alike I've seen this year

Which itself is a Battle Royale alike. I don't mean that to take away from The Hunger Games, it's a good platform to explore human psychology, human non-romantic (and romantic) relationships and acts of desperation with, but as you seem to be saying, similar concepts can perhaps only be explored a certain number of times before they start to homogenise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hence Singham.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:13 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
As long as the quality remains high, I say bring them on. Comic book films were largely terrible for so long, let's revel in this golden age!

There's a balance here though because they'll only remain profitable as long as the general public, and not just us geeks, are interested in paying to see them. If all the various rights holders start flooding the market with superhero films to get their piece of the pie then, even if the quality remains high, people will get bored with them so profits will drop and the entire genre will get canned. If Hollywood could be trusted to not attempt to milk the shit out of this and then drop the entire thing at the first sign of trouble it would be fine, but they totally can't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:24 

Cras wrote:
Hence Singham.

SINGHAM!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 
Unpossible!

I for one am looking forward to FEMALE LEAD SPIDERMAN SPINOFF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

There's a balance here though because they'll only remain profitable as long as the general public, and not just us geeks, are interested in paying to see them. If all the various rights holders start flooding the market with superhero films to get their piece of the pie then, even if the quality remains high, people will get bored with them so profits will drop and the entire genre will get canned. If Hollywood could be trusted to not attempt to milk the shit out of this and then drop the entire thing at the first sign of trouble it would be fine, but they totally can't.

REVEL IN THIS GOLDEN AGE

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 422  Next