Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 14:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Second trailer for The Martian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 15:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That trailer is pretty spoilerific if you haven't read the book.

It does look like they'll be doing it justice though, so yay!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:31 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 15:14 
Bad Girl

I actually did watch The Art of Rap thanks to MaliA and, being a huge hip hop fan, I thought it was really great.

Two highlights stood out:

Eminem rapping Ice-T's lyrics at him.

Shit I've forgot the other one.

And generally it was just great seeing all these emcees loving hip hop and being fans of the culture and each other's work.

Xzibit, so I've heard, is a really great bloke and his infectious smile was brilliant. Ras Kass hooking Ice-T up with Xzibit's phone number was also great ("yeah, he's my mate I can give you his phone number if you want." They were going to do some collabs as The Golden State which unfortunately never came about). I'm not a fan of lyrics which all end in the same word but Cass freestyle towards the beginning was really great and showed you all the emotions that hip hop can express through inflection (Mase never learnt that did he).

God what was that second awesome bit. Nope, I've lost it. Anyway, the soundtrack was great too. So, y'know watch it, if you like hip hop. Or don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 15:54 
Bad Girl

I've remembered what it was! It was when KRS-1 was recalling what made him what to be a rapper and he told a story about just standing in a crowd watching a battle and one of the guys rapping picked him out for having shit jeans. Hilarious.

Anyway, if you're looking for something deep and insightful this isn't it (far far from it); it's just Ice-T meeting his buddies. But if you're into that then it's great. I'm into that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 15:55 
Gogmagog

I want to watch this again now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 20:45 
Awesome
Yes

We just watched The World's End, a film I would describe as five stars, and that Mimi would describe as Why did you make me watch that?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 22:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I thought it was totally dull, until about half way through when it all kicks off and becomes epic. Which is basically what I thought about Hot Fuzz. It had some absolutely amazing lines.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 22:55 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 23:06 
Excellent Member

I watched Worlds End and Hot Fuzz relatively recently and neither of them are anything like as good as Sean of the Dead or Spaced. I like Simon Pegg in general but as a writer either he was just better at the beginning or just had funnier collaborators.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 23:12 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:16 

Cras wrote:
I thought it was totally dull, until about half way through when it all kicks off and becomes epic. Which is basically what I thought about Hot Fuzz. It had some absolutely amazing lines.

I thought it had some great lines, and a few excellent set pieces, but I don't think it was a great cohesive whole. Plus Pegg's character grated on me in a way that didn't improve until the scene amongst the aftermath.

I much preferred Sean Of The Dead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 23:37 
Bad Girl

BEST FILM EVER!

Attack on Titan.

Proper fucking mental.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:36 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
BEST FILM EVER!

Attack on Titan.

Proper fucking mental.

By the way, I watched the live action movie. I still haven't seen the anime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
BEST FILM EVER!

Attack on Titan.

Proper fucking mental.

Curiously, I am currently (well, not now, I'm at work waiting for my computer to do stuff now) watching the anime.

So far, I have little to say about it beyond that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:18 
Awesome
Yes

We watched the third Hobbit film last night. Soooo rubbish, it was just boring set piece battle after boring crowbarred plot backstory.

Overall, a foggy bag of wank.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:24 
Unpossible!

There's a 3 hour fan edit of the hobbit trilogy called There and Back Again that I've heard good things about. It cuts out all the extraneous guff and just gives you the book in movie form.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:47 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
BEST FILM EVER!

Attack on Titan.

Proper fucking mental.

Curiously, I am currently (well, not now, I'm at work waiting for my computer to do stuff now) watching the anime.

So far, I have little to say about it beyond that.

I'm glad I knew nothing more about the anime than the basic premise when I watched this. Going in blind I was quite surprised by how mental it was. Apparently the live action movie departs from the anime but I'm glad I didn't watch it now. I might watch it now if I can find a bloody copy with english sub encoded.

Anyway, the film: It's like The Maze Runner, Hunger Games and all those coming of age films but with the coming of age stuff just thrown out the window early on and a bunch of mental shit just going mental because it's mental.

Did I mention I fucking loved it?

Shame there's not a HD version about at the minute but the copy I watched was still pretty good with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 
Excellent Member

Watched Star Trek: Renegades

Its more of a TV movie, it was made via Kickstarter, its no worse effects and plot wise that a long episode of Star Trek and does try to set its self up as a pilot for a new TV show at the end

Has a couple of Star Trek actors in it Tuvok and Chekov.

Problem is whilst its as good as the TV Shows these are old now and it looked a bit dated

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:32 

DavPaz wrote:
There's a 3 hour fan edit of the hobbit trilogy called There and Back Again that I've heard good things about. It cuts out all the extraneous guff and just gives you the book in movie form.

Do you know what bothers me steadily more in each of the Hobbit films? Legobloom's face.

I'm not sure if it's just the inch thick make-up he is wearing, or if they've actually tried to CGI out the signs of ageing, but he looks less like himself as each film progresses, until he starts to look no longer like an actual person.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Do you know what bothers me steadily more in each of the Hobbit films? Legobloom's face.

I'm not sure if it's just the inch thick make-up he is wearing, or if they've actually tried to CGI out the signs of ageing, but he looks less like himself as each film progresses, until he starts to look no longer like an actual person.

He's an elf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Speaking of Star Trek... Did they ever get home in Voyager?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:23 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Yes...I can't remember how but they deffo got back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:

Yeah, I noticed this in the Hobbit films as well. He looks like a film poster come to life; y'know the ones where the people's faces are so photoshopped they look like terrifying cartoon characters with scarily white eyes and teeth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 13:15 

Bamba wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yeah, I noticed this in the Hobbit films as well. He looks like a film poster come to life; y'know the ones where the people's faces are so photoshopped they look like terrifying cartoon characters with scarily white eyes and teeth.

Yes, this is exactly it. By the third Hobbit film it was as if they couldn't decide whether there should be any natural light shadow in the corners of his mouth, either, so his now almost featureless face now just had a talking hole rather than a recognise able mouth.

I can understaned in that about 15 years must have passed from the first LOTR film (which is set after) but I don't think most people would have cared about the slight progression of age of the actors, or even noticed unless they were watching them back to back, but the strange effects put on his face really drew attention to how weird they'd made him look.

Also, Cate Blanket's face looked odd, like now she is all features and no face in between them. I don't know, I just found it unsettling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

She's an elf, too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:10 

Yes, well in the first LOTR they were all. Ratification. Now they are just creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:12 

Mimi wrote:
Ratification

Hmm? I can't even start to see how that came from 'beautiful'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:24 
Bad Girl

There's not nearly enough people on here talking about Attack on Titan. This disappoints me greatly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 22:02 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:46 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Saturnalian wrote:
There's not nearly enough people on here talking about Attack on Titan. This disappoints me greatly.

Started to watch the live action version on Saturday night (well actually I fast forwarded through some talky stuff to get to the Titan action).

Very impressed with the Titan animation (especially the ickle cute toddler titan)...even if they are just peeps in costumes filmed ala Godzilla.

...I then fell asleep, will watch properly later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I got it from the rental shop, so I'll watch it a bit later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 

I watched Six Degrees Of Separation yesterday. It was not the film I had suspected it to be.

Firstly, it starred Will Smith (not Kevin Bacon, so making the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon one degree more removed... but that's OK)

Secondly, though the film is 25 years old, Will Smith is the same age as he is now, and I spent about 70% of the film wondering what kind of voodoo that man is up to.

Thirdly, you get to see Will Smith have some gay sex, so if that's your thing, it's on Netflix. Or at last you see the aftermath of it. At the least you get to see his bum, I'm pretty sure.

Lastly, though it is sort of linked to the idea that our lives are all interconnected, it's really all about a group of people finding out the motivations of this young guy, whilst we hate their own bratty kids.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 13:12 
Goth

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Good stylish fun. Cavill in particular was excellent and brilliantly suave. And the guy doing the gravel voiced thing as Cavill's boss. He was brilliant in Mad Men and also in his brief small role in Poltergeist. (Different accent every time!) Oh and loved the vampy performance of the evil Elizabeth Debicki (who made me think of Iggy Azaelea and coincidentally also turned out to be Australian). Armie Hammer not quite so impressive but his role is quite under developed. Would love some more of this.

Trainwreck - A quite unpleasant film of someone being quite unpleasant but then has a tacked on love story which doesn't feel at all real or believable. Lead character is just an unpleasant person and I dislike male characters like this so why would I like a female character like this? I hugely admire Tilda Swinton's brilliant chamelonic powers playing a rather crass boss into the sleazy news stories, the boss who is your 'chum' but only in an utterly hateful way to try and exploit you for their own ends. But yeah this was seriously not my cup of tea.

Fantastic Four - While not incredible I found it perfectly fine. Sure Susan's hair has an unfortunate habit of changing between real and a slightly odd looking wig but it didn't lack the third act as most people claimed. Person invents thing, thing is used and causes some stuff to happen to the people using it, person left behind comes back causes some potentially word destroying havoc and is then stopped. Nothing wrong with that. The thing looked superb I thought and fortunately the rumour that he turns back and forth depending on his emotions turned out to be false. Harmless sci fi fun, over nice and quick. I wish more were over in that time...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 14:35 
SavyGamer

Her hair/wig changes depending on whether it was footage originally shot by the director, or reshoots that the studio insisted on. It's actually quite a handy device. Dunno why they didn't just get a better wig.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 18:48 
Goth

It is peculiar how they couldn't seem to find a wig that looked at all convincing. I wonder what the original version the director had in mind was like. Still I've seen vastly more hateable movies than this. This is probably my second favourite f4 movie. I love Silver Surfer, I think that was hugely enjoyable. Hated the last reboot and while the Corman production is quite amusing it is just a comedy sketch really so doesn't properly count.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 19:48 
Bad Girl

This morning was filled with Attack on Titan noise and now there is no noise. I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness in my breast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 19:52 
Prince of Fops

Saturnalian wrote:
This morning was filled with Attack on Titan noise and now there is no noise. I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness in my breast tatties.

FEEX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:20 
Goth

Paper Towns - Largely boring and derivative teen coming of age flick. Nice to sleep to.

Gemma Bovery - Largely boring and derivative drama about a bored housewife having sex. In france.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:22 
Gogmagog

Nice?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:32 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
Nice?

She seemed to like it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:35 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Nice?

She seemed to like it

O/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:43 
Unpossible!

\O

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:04 

Last night we watched The Babadook. I remember a few folks mentioning it on here some months ago, and a friend mentioned it the other day and said it was on Netflix so we decided to give it a go.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the film. I can appreciate it on some levels
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I watched it in terms of the Babadook being the son's materialisation of the mother's grief: how he was trying to protect her, building up an arsenal to try and fight what I guess what the manifestation of her depression and the barrier that it put up between the two.

But in terms of the actual 'horror' scenes playing out, it just felt really flat. I don't know if it is because I always expect some kind of creeping fear from anything that is put into the horror genre, but there wasn't even the mildest fright or even sensation of unease, which I think would have perhaps enhanced the empathy that you might feel for the character of the son.

I think that as a
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
exploration of the manifestation, evolution and coping mechanisms of a child's reaction to grief, depression and I guess mental illness
it was a good way of contextualising these in a child's imagination, but beyond that, in simple viewing terms, it felt a bit 'blah' once the horror bits started competing with the exploration of the relationship between the two.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:55 
Goth

I don't really consider Babadook a horror film. it is more a psychological drama of much distress.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is pretty great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 23:29 

Yes, I think you're correct. But it's placed in 'horror' most places I have seen so I came to the filim thinking it to be such.

I think that's partly the reason I felt disappointed. Strangely, though, if it had left the horror elements out I still would have enjoyed it. I think it just deserved to be either a horror film that actually contained horror, or just a really good psychological drama. As it was the mild elements of one detracted fykmvrge urged.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 0:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't think The Man From UNCLE was meant to be scary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:18 
SavyGamer

I watched Starry Eyes recently and that is a great horror movie that doesn't really have much in the way of supernatural elements, but is creepy and psychological and ++good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 

Grim... wrote:
I don't think The Man From UNCLE was meant to be scary.

Yeah, sorry, I must have skipped by that post. Or maybe it is SUPER IGNORE!

(It's not really super ignore)

Reply to topic  [ 21122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 423  Next