Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:35 
Goth

Mimi wrote:
Yes, I think you're correct. But it's placed in 'horror' most places I have seen so I came to the filim thinking it to be such.

I think that's partly the reason I felt disappointed. Strangely, though, if it had left the horror elements out I still would have enjoyed it. I think it just deserved to be either a horror film that actually contained horror, or just a really good psychological drama. As it was the mild elements of one detracted fykmvrge urged.

It was still quite hard on the nerves. But yes more metaphorical than a full on 'horror'. The exorcist was really about pedophobia I've heard but it can still be regarded as a straight horror film. I thought the Babadook was very well played and quite hard to watch for its intense disturbing situations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
Yes, I think you're correct. But it's placed in 'horror' most places I have seen so I came to the filim thinking it to be such.

I think that's partly the reason I felt disappointed. Strangely, though, if it had left the horror elements out I still would have enjoyed it. I think it just deserved to be either a horror film that actually contained horror, or just a really good psychological drama. As it was the mild elements of one detracted fykmvrge urged.

The following spoiler is a copy and paste from an excellent Reddit thread about this film, the whole thread is worth reading IMO but this in particular is an excellent post. Thread is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comme ... iscussion/

I think this is a film that really benefits from being watched twice, I found it far more unsettling and disturbing than most horror films I've seen in recent memory. The abuse and violence is real, the terror of the protagonists is real, but the monster is crippling depression fuelling hatred and despair - poisoning that most sacred of relationships, a mother to a child.

EDIT - Also from that thread:

Quote:
It's been mentioned that there is no shortage of female protagonists in the horror genre- but there has been a shortage of female fears (besides rape, which at this point is almost cliche fantasy for manufacturing meaning in a stale script). This is a true female antihero who embodies truly female horrors of depression, loneliness, disconnection, inability to maintain a house or health/appearance, and the unforgivable-- ill feelings towards her children despite really wanting to love them and be a good mother.

normally when we see a woman who mistreats her children it's totally far gone, like the moms in Carrie or American Horror Story, or Martha and George. we don't believe there is any good in them, so we don't feel bad hating them. maybe they have a moment where it seems like they regret being bad or try to justify their decisions, but they are so corrupted and unrecognizable we don't mourn their corruption. this mother is totally different and it's way scarier to see her trying so damn hard but things just keep slipping away from her.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I really think you're onto something there. My interpretation, after reading your comment, is that all along she's been succumbing to these psychotic episodes and terrifying/abusing her child, though she always snaps out of it and realizes what she's done1. So being a children's book author and someone that does genuinely at times seem to love her child, she decides to create a book to try to provide him with an explanation a child might understand2. Because when it comes down to it, no kid Samuel's age is ever going to understand or even be able to come to grips with the fact that his Mom, at times, actually wants to kill him. So to protect him, she convinces him that it's actually a monster that's making her act that way. This explains why he's able to continue loving her unconditionally and retain some semblance of sanity. It also explains why he seems so practiced at combatting his mother when she finally attacks him (because she's done it before). He believes it isn't actually his mother doing these things, but it's the Babadook causing her to do them, so he can continue loving her and confront the abuse like he might confront a monster - something easier to understand than psychosis and clinical depression.

I, like others, found it odd and somewhat anticlimactic that she "defeats" the Babadook by screaming at it, but thinking back I interpret this as both a show she puts on for Samuel and also a psychological and physical release for her (as we all know a good scream can provide). It's interesting to note that this happens immediately after Samuel is thrown into the wall a few times by whom we can assume is his mother. Looking back on the scene, it's a powerful moment. Her maternal instinct defeats her psychotic tendencies caused by her crippling depression. In that respect, it's actually an extremely powerful scene and far more meaningful than traditional horror film climaxes. She needs to convince Samuel that the monster was real, she has finally confronted it, and that she's locked it in the basement where it will never fully go away, but be contained and managed day by day (just like real depression).

So back to the worms - why does she have Samuel collect worms for the Babadook? You had it right, @cypripediums; it's something a child might think a monster would eat. Which fits the narrative above perfectly. She is perpetuating the fantasy of her battle with the Babadook by telling Samuel she needs to feed it worms, because it's something Samuel can understand and continue to contribute to3. The truth is that she isn't actually feeding anything worms down in the basement, she's looking at all her husbands stuff - stuff she used to keep locked away and not confront. Just like with any mourning process, there are good days and bad days, and she explains this to Samuel by saying that Babadook was "quiet" today. This actually means she was able to let the sorrow of nostalgia wash over her and absorb it rather than let it overwhelm her and trigger another psychotic/depressive episode.

This movie reminded me a lot of Fight Club (obviously) and What Dreams May Come. It's a fantastic, beautiful, and horrifying view into the world of depression and psychosis.

Additional thoughts that popped into my head as I wrote my comment above:

1 - It sends a chill up my spine to realize the way she tries to make up for her abusive episodes in the typical way that abusive parents do; offering to take them to their favorite restaurant, letting them order as much ice cream as they want, allowing them to stay up past their bed time, etc. It's even creepier to realize she's been neglecting her kid so badly that he's starting to starve.

2 - The book seems to just appear in Samuel's room, and he chooses it on his own, but she was the one who made it and put it there. She even puts her own face in it. She's smart in this regard because he is able to come to his own conclusions that it's a monster causing her to act that way. But it's clear how much distress it causes her to even confront her inner demons in this childish form because she can't even make it through the book with Samuel. She promptly tears it apart because she wants to deny her issues. In a moment of lucidity not portrayed in the film, she pieces it back together, continues working on it, and predicts (accurately) that left un-checked, her depression will result in her killing everyone she loves including herself. The book as much a coping device for her son as it is a wakeup call for herself. When she finally burns the book, it signifies she has completely given into depression, and obviously what follows is her killing her dog and attempting to kill her son.

3 - It's interesting to note that his contributions are completely ineffective, including his home-alone style attacks, as you might expect for a victim of child abuse. But it empowers Samuel and also shields him from a truth that's too horrible for any child to confront - his mother resents him and at times wants him dead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:50 
Awesome
Yes

I think it probably didn't help that I wasn't that interested in the film as it progressed because

I dismissed the monster from the start, and kept exclaiming how everything about the monster could be explained as her being mentally ill all the way through. If it turns out that the 'twist' as such that it was her own depression and stuff all along, then I kind of already got it, which perhaps detracted from my enjoyment of it as a horror film.

Although I did like the fact that you thought it would be the kid who was 'possessed' when actually it was the mother.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:53 

Cheers, Hearthly. That looks like an interesting read. I'll have a proper sit down and read through it once I'm up and my brain is properly awake as it looks a worthwhile thread to look at :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 21:31 
Excellent Member

Quote:
I think this is a film that really benefits from being watched twice, I found it far more unsettling and disturbing than most horror films I've seen in recent memory. The abuse and violence is real, the terror of the protagonists is real, but the monster is crippling depression fuelling hatred and despair - poisoning that most sacred of relationships, a mother to a child.

Based on that jolly sounding recommendation I'm downloading now :p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 22:32 
Excellent Member

Watched Straight Outta Compton yesterday and it was a bit shit. The individual scenes were generally okay but taken as an ongoing narrative it was a mess. And the very final scene was proper soap opera cheesy bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 
Excellent Member

Two Days, One Night

It was competent, specially on the acting part, but i didn't found it that much interesting and it was quite boring in parts

Arabian Nights: Part 1 - The Restless

I loved the previous films of this director (Miguel Gomes), and this one is as good as those. It's still in his very unique, post-modern style, and still very funny. I thought he was going to get really big, but judging from this daring film, i guess he's just not interested in going mainstream. And maybe we're better of because of it. (http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ju ... rain-burst)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 20:12 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just watched Pixels, I was surprisingly impressed. Very funny and silly, kept the kids quiet for the full length of the film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:24 

That's not the film, that's just the natural response to watching anything with Adam Sandler in it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 14:03 

Mimi wrote:
As it was the mild elements of one detracted fykmvrge urged.

Another awesome Mimi typo there. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 14:32 
Bad Girl

KovacsC wrote:
Just watched Pixels, I was surprisingly impressed. Very funny and silly, kept the kids quiet for the full length of the film.

I'm not falling for that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 19:45 
Bad Girl

Important Notice:

There is a better quality of imagery for Film of The Year "Attack on Titan" in the ether.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 21:46 
Isn't that lovely?

Saturnalian wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

I'm not falling for that.

I'd go with with Kov said to be honest. I don't care much for Adam Sandler, but he made a couple of the sort of crap jokes I make all the time as well as some that I could see would be funny to a lot of people, but just don't work for me. I don't really do American comedy (don't really do pop British comedy either), but I went into it expecting it to be a film about computer games from the 80s coming to life and attacking the earth, and that's pretty much what I got. I took my 12 year old son and 6 year old daughter and they both loved it too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:24 
Excellent Member

Defending Adam Sandler movies. *sigh* What's happened to you Beex?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Wolverine is really not very good at all,and I have a fairly high threshold for xmen movies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 22:33 
Sleepyhead

Just watched 'Horns'.

Daniel Radcliffe plays a lad whose girlfriend is killed and he is the main suspect. He then grows devil horns and suddenly everything goes strange.

Based on a book by Joe "Don't call me Stephen King's son!" Hill.

It's really atmospheric and goes really well for a good while, until the denouement, which doesn't quite work for me. But I did enjoy most of it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 23:03 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Wolverine is really not very good at all,and I have a fairly high threshold for xmen movies.

Which one? Not that it matters, they're both a load of toss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Not Origins, which I quite like, but the Wolverine Goes to Japan one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Defending Adam Sandler movies. *sigh* What's happened to you Beex?

I'll defend Happy Gilmore, Longest Yard, Little Nicky and The Water Boy until the day I die. I've also got good things to say about Big Daddy.

Apart from that, though, yeah. I mean I watched fucking Jack and Jill, man.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:57 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Not Origins, which I quite like, but the Wolverine Goes to Japan one.

Aye, Origins was slightly better, though still not very good I don't think (largely because their version of Deadpool was awful and nothing in the world is made better by the involvement of ubercunt will.i.am), but The Wolverine was pretty much a waste of time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Japan Wolverine spoiler:
And he would have died from adamantium poisoning the moment his mutant power was taken away

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:51 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Japan Wolverine spoiler:
And he would have died from adamantium poisoning the moment his mutant power was taken away

He never totally lost his mutant power; it was just being suppressed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:59 
SavyGamer

Neither of the Wolverine movies are perfect, but they are both watchable.

I think I prefer Origins, because I'd really wanted to see Darren Aronofsky's take on Wolverine but then that didn't happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Japan Wolverine spoiler:

He never totally lost his mutant power; it was just being suppressed.

In the comics when Magneto ripped the adamantium out of him (in Fatal Attractions, I think), his healing ability went into super-overdrive, and Professor X told him that was because his healing ability spent 99% of it's time making sure he didn't drop dead due to adamantium poisoning. Even if it was only slightly diminished, Wolfie* be toast.

*That Wolfie, at least. When it was put back again they'd improved the bonding process so (like with Bullseye), having Adamantium inside you is no longer deadly, and Wolverine kept his "heal faster" ability.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:21 
SavyGamer

Inconsistencies in the medium of comics and the adaptations thereof? Utterly shocking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:26 
Soopah red DS

45 years. Gentle, slow, all about the performances; I liked it, but it didn't take me anywhere, emotionally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:36 

Strapline of your sex tape.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 

:D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 14:02 
Excellent Member

This is hilarious:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9288009/legend-movie-poster-advertising-is-evil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 23:45 
Sleepyhead

Just watched 'Chappie'.

Really enjoyed it. Much better than I was expecting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:00 
Can you dig it?

Was on a flight the other day and caught a few films, my feelings towards them were unexpected.

Didn't really like Mad Max Fury Road as much as I thought I would. Didn't hate Terminator Genisys as much as I though I would (in fact, it was quite exciting. Plot was iffy though).

X men Days of Future Past made me wonder if I'd missed a film in the series (I hadn't).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Just watched 'Chappie'.

Really enjoyed it. Much better than I was expecting.

I don't understand the mediocre reviews at all, it's like the critics just decided Bloomerkamper was due a kicking for his perceived slide since the astonishingly good District 9.

Also, me and a mate at work often go into 'Chappie Mode' and talk to each other in (bad) South African accents, mostly because it really annoys our colleagues.

'Reboot the server Chappie or I'll put you to sleep'

'OK mummy'

And so on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:22 
Excellent Painter

Watched the Man from UNCLE last night, or muncle as I keep referring to it as. Enjoyed it a lot. Alicia Vikander is quite pleasing to the eye.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 14:49 
Esoteric

Last night I watched Time Lapse. Aside from the obvious glaring holes (like just fix the fucking lottery numbers already) I actually quite enjoyed it, and the music added to the suspense.

A couple of nights back my lady and I watched "Heaven is for real" which apparently is a film about a kid that had a near death experience and thought he had been to heaven. Not the best film I have ever seen but then again it certainly wasn't the worst. It did get me thinking a little bit too.

Time Lapse is well worth a look though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was WE ARE STILL HERE.

In many ways it's a fairly standard haunted house/paranormal activity/new folks in an odd town/sinister history/etc sort of film. (You know all the tropes.)

This is very well done though, comes in at a delightfully compact 84 minutes, only made me think 'You'd really be out of that house by now' once, good script and acting, assured direction, characters you care about, and finishes off with a delightful orgy of splattery violence (practical effects too!).

94% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, well deserved IMO - an unexpected treat.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/we_are_still_here/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 20:10 
Excellent Member

Trailer for action-movie HARDCORE. That title basically tells you how subtle this is likely to be...

The director made this stylish and violent first-person music video a couple of years back : https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=Rgox84KE7iY

Now it seems he's got a bigger budget, a fairly well-known actor as the star (the awesome Sharlto Copley from District 9, Elysium, Chappie etc.) and has made a full movie in the same style.

This sort of film-making could be really tiresome when stretched to feature-length or it could be great fun. Have to wait and see. I like the trailer though, looks pretty insane.

Oh, here's the link for the trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv33e0TyL6M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 20:17 

We watched World War Z today, because I'd apparently added it to the Netflix list (which I do not recall doing, but oh well). It was stupid, but enjoyable not-zombies-because-they-run-fast fayre. Brad Pitt is growing old gracefully and it's good that he doesn't seem to have any stupid plastic surgery.

Dr Who is in it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 21:16 
Sleepyhead

Ooooh, that Hardcore thing seems like fun. Not sure if it will cope with being feature length, but I think it will just go balls out the whole time. So yay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 21:34 
Bad Girl

I've never seen that music video before. IT WAS A MAZE. Bloody ace stuff. I don't know if a FPS movie could work but, damn, I'll be keen to find out after watching that trailer and that music vid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:51 
Excellent Painter

There was a film made in the 40s or 50s based on Raymond Chandler's detective fiction novel The Lady In The Lake. Chandler wrote in first person so his character, PI Philip Marlowe narrated the story. This particular adaptation was filmed almost entirely, bar a couple of scenes, from the POV of Marlowe.

I also think there are many other examples, at least a dozen or more, which have used the same technique, but very few to the extent that this film does.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 
Sleepyhead

The 'Doom' movie did at least some FPS style sections, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Only for a minute or so, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 13:50 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
We watched World War Z today, because I'd apparently added it to the Netflix list (which I do not recall doing, but oh well). It was stupid, but enjoyable not-zombies-because-they-run-fast fayre. Brad Pitt is growing old gracefully and it's good that he doesn't seem to have any stupid plastic surgery.

Dr Who is in it as well.

World War Z annoyed the shit out of me. Brad Pitt makes anyone around the world follow his orders just because he happens to be american.

At least the film has the merit of being aware of the concept of "Zombies". No "biters" or "walkers" or "crawlers".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 14:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Which it shouldn't be - Zombies are specifically reanimated dead via dubious magic, aren't they? What's in WWZ is people with a weird virus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:20 
Excellent Member

It can be argued that the diagnosis of the zombie condition is down to symptoms and not depending on the results of a particular health exam. Like lupus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 16:34 
Bad Girl

Quick, someone hide this topic from AE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 18:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Quick, someone hide this topic from AE.

The upset has already been caused.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 18:40 
Bad Girl

Dammit, he's here - lock the thread! LOCK THE THREAD, people!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 18:42 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:
Dammit, he's here - lock the thread! LOCK THE THREAD, people!

GET BACK TO THE FARMHOUSE KARL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 18:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Anyone would think this is the sort of whimsical trivia I get nonsensically worked up about.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 422  Next