Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:52 
Excellent Member

Rewatched The Cabin in the Woods again at the weekend and it's still awesome.

I also tried to watch We Need to Talk About Kevin and only made it through about half an hour. Not because it's a bad film or anything but it was just so utterly, brutally depressing that I couldn't stand it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

That's what I liked about it, the quiet bleakness of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 
Excellent Member

While We're Young is incredibly entertaining and a great commentary on growing old.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 13:11 
Prince of Fops

Watched Orphans on Saturday, a tar-black comedy set in Glasgow, following four children as they grieve for their recently deceased mother.

Sounds like great fun, doesn't it? Well it is.

It features a handful of comic setpieces so painfully funny they knocked me sideways, in what for all intents and purposes is a pretty bleak film. Directed by Peter Mullan, I found it a much less troubling watch than, say Neds, which I found too over-wrought to particularly enjoy.

Would highly recommend it. I don't think it reviewed brilliantly because it's a hard film to pigeonhole. Too funny for your gritty drama, but too dark to be a black comedy. Which is a shame, as it's great.

IMDB-me

Also, any scotch - what's the deal with the salutation "big man"? Felt like it could be used when threatening someone or greeting them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 14:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
We went to watch the Minions movie last night. No real belly laughs, but some pretty consistent chuckling. I'm looking forward to watching it again without a seven year old asking me questions every five minutes.

I think I enjoyed it more than MiniKov. Great film, agree no real huge laughs, but constant laughing. Will see it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 15:01 
Prince of Fops

KovacsC wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
We went to watch the Minions movie last night. No real belly laughs, but some pretty consistent chuckling. I'm looking forward to watching it again without a seven year old asking me questions every five minutes.

I think I enjoyed it more than MiniKov. Great film, agree no real huge laughs, but constant laughing. Will see it again.

I forgot, I saw that on Saturday as well.

Orphans was funnier.

But I did enjoy the Minions, as disjointed as it sometimes felt. Would have been happy if it hadn't featured Scarlet Overkill or her husband Jon's Hamms at all, to be honest. Send the minions round the country with Michael's Keaton's character, Natural Born Killers style.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:21 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Also, any scotch - what's the deal with the salutation "big man"? Felt like it could be used when threatening someone or greeting them.

I've never heard it used to threaten. Indeed it would be a particularly poor threat that called attention to how large your potential opponent is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:26 
Excellent Member

Also: I loved Neds so I'll definitely check out Orphans. Cheers for that!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:40 
Isn't that lovely?

I've seen it used in a sarcastic way(in films/TV) by gangs of hostile men to intimidate their puny looking victims.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:45 
Prince of Fops

interesting. It felt interchangeable in the way "c*nt" can be, depending on how one says it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 
SavyGamer

Yeah Neds is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Couple of recent ones from me:

Alan Partridge Alpha Papa - I really liked this, not many true LOL moments but constantly engaging and funny. I was never a massive fan of Alan Partridge in that I wasn't a devotee of the programme or anything, but always found him amusing enough and like Steve Coogan. Aside from the comedy there's a decent story in here too and some nice human touches. Colm Meaney is always watchable too. Recommended.

Sin City A Dame To Kill For - Technically speaking this should work as it's MORE SIN CITY and I loved the original, but somehow this manages to be rather dull. All the ingredients appear to be present and yet I frequently found myself rather bored. In fact I was so disengaged it took me a while to realise Bruce Willis was dead 'cause he died in the last one. Fuck me he phones it in these days. Only watched it 'cause it turned up on Netflix and I watch fuck all on there these days so wanted to feel like I was getting a bit of something out of my subscription costs. Not recommended.

Under The Skin - I watched this again as I felt it warranted it. Unbelievably good, it's like 'proper art', and stuff. Some astoundingly touching and tender moments too, really makes you think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 
Excellent Member

Aye, the newer Sin City film really is shockingly dull. Unless you're watching it as an art film about how amazing Eva Green looks naked and then it's difficult not to be impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 
Ready for action

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I've never heard it used to threaten. Indeed it would be a particularly poor threat that called attention to how large your potential opponent is.

I think it can be used to threaten, if it's said in a menacing or mocking way. So it's almost like a dare or a question. But usually it's used as a greeting, almost like a sign of respect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sdg wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I think it can be used to threaten, if it's said in a menacing or mocking way. So it's almost like a dare or a question. But usually it's used as a greeting, almost like a sign of respect.

Much like "mate", or anything else really.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 23:45 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Grim... wrote:
sdg wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Much like "mate", or anything else really.

Agree, only ever heard it as a friendly greeting or as a reference to the fact that I am, statically, a big man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 23:46 

See also: Chief.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:
Agree, only ever heard it as a friendly greeting or as a reference to the fact that I am, statically, a big man.

What size are you when you're moving around?

(Also: It's your go in the space card game)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 22:19 

Loooooool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 22:22 

Oh, that's weird, the space card game app has gone. What was it called again?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Star Realms. And you keep beating me, stop it :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 21:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'Hunger' this evening, directed by that Steve McQueen chappy and staring his muse Michael Fassbender.

Utterly unsparing, and very brilliant, at one point there's a single 17 minute single shot of dialogue between two characters that is mesmerising, the camera doesn't move, doesn't cut, it's just two people talking - and it's totally consuming.

It's about Bobby Sands so NO SPOILERS BUT WE ALL KNOW HOW IT ENDS.

A superb film but absolutely not a date movie in any capacity whatsoever, seriously, if you're after getting your leg over with a significant other then steer a million miles clear of this.

9/10.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 21:48 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 
Can you dig it?

sdg wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

When I was playing soccer football I was sometimes referred to by the opposition as 'big fella' or some variation. I felt it was a little mocking, but not in a particularly offensive way. I was the tallest in the side, but I'm very skinny. As with most things it's all in the tone/emphasis/delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 
Can you dig it?

Cor, I enjoyed Kingsman. Funny, quite exciting, a good film for a saturday night.

The big chaotic fight scene was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched Moon on Saturday night.

I liked it. I don't think I enjoyed it much at the time but when I thought about it, I realised that it was good. I did the same with American Psycho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:13 

Grim... wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

What size are you when you're moving around?

Hahahaha!

Before I met Russell and was to look out for him at the place where we were due to meet, he referred to himself as a 'giant man'.

I thought he must have been very, very small, perhaps a medically recognised dwarf or midget, but if not a very short man, because (obviously) I just assumed that he was being sarcastic.

THAT IS WHAT THIS PLACE HAD DONE TO ME.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

In, fairness, you started that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 

Grim... wrote:
In, fairness, you started that.

What, the sarcasm of the board?

Did I?

I don't even know anymore :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Specifically "people not being quite as tall as they said they were".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:

I am a 200 foot tall robot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

THE MALINATOR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:50 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
THE MALINATOR

HELD TOGETHER WITH BONDO AND GAFFA TAPE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:13 

Watched the new Terminator flick at the pictures last night

SPOILER WARNING

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
As someone who loved the first Terminator movie and quite liked the second (albeit that kid was *so* annoying, at least the storyline was good), I was expecting to love this, notleast because it disowned the rather dismal third and fourth installments/storylines.

....It was okay I suppose, but like so many films today it totally lacked the steel edge of the eponymous first movie; it's only a Certificate 12A and it appears they substituted much of the hard-hitting, take it or leave it type stuff with cheesy humour (e.g. the whole "smiling Terminator/Arnie" thing) and schmaltz (the Terminator, "Pops", is like a father to me etc.).

None of this would've been too bad of itself, but the biggest issue was the crap storyline - the film utterly lays to waste the original (great) timeline/story; John Connor is now the bad guy (...really?), Sarah Connor is now some kickass babe in 1984 and all the rest; it gets really messy and confused, and the ending is utterly predictable. Just seems like they're going through the motions for two long (even for me) hours.

5/10 for me (and that's only because I'm sentimental about it; taken as a standalone film/yarn on its own merits, it's less than that)

No wonder the cinema was three quarters empty, news travels fast I guess

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:19 

Grim... wrote:

Oh, right!

Well... I felt very tall, if that matters. And I was only about 5 or 6 inches off, which in the grand scheme of things is about 9/10ths right - and if you were being given a recommendation on something and someone said that they'd give it 9/10, you'd think that was pretty close to exactly what you were looking for.

Also, 4" of heel and 2" of big hair is totally achievable. I miss my heels now. I think I may wear them during teh birth just so I can stand straight up and be my actual height again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 13:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Cavey wrote:
Watched the new Terminator flick at the pictures last night

SPOILER WARNING

As someone who loved the first Terminator movie and quite liked the second (albeit that kid was *so* annoying, at least the storyline was good), I was expecting to love this, notleast because it disowned the rather dismal third and fourth installments/storylines.

....It was okay I suppose, but like so many films today it totally lacked the steel edge of the eponymous first movie; it's only a Certificate 12A and it appears they substituted much of the hard-hitting, take it or leave it type stuff with cheesy humour (e.g. the whole "smiling Terminator/Arnie" thing) and schmaltz (the Terminator, "Pops", is like a father to me etc.).

None of this would've been too bad of itself, but the biggest issue was the crap storyline - the film utterly lays to waste the original (great) timeline/story; John Connor is now the bad guy (...really?), Sarah Connor is now some kickass babe in 1984 and all the rest; it gets really messy and confused, and the ending is utterly predictable. Just seems like they're going through the motions for two long (even for me) hours.

5/10 for me (and that's only because I'm sentimental about it; taken as a standalone film/yarn on its own merits, it's less than that)

No wonder the cinema was three quarters empty, news travels fast I guess

The mere fact it's a 12A is enough to put me off. I'm not saying a 12A film can't be good (and I was very surprised by the new Robocop which is quite good, but really, that's not a Robocop film either).

So yeah, a 12A Terminator film, that's clearly not going to work.

Terminator and Terminator 2 are excellent, but you can discount everything since then IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 14:30 
EvilTrousers

This weekend I have seen the following;

Kingsman : Silly and fun. Almost like a kids film with swearing and violence but enough nods to the genre. 8/10

John Wick : 2 dimensional but worth a watch all the same. Must be a record for most people shot in the head. 7/10

Minions : Funny and charming. Loads of stuff for the grown ups in there while keeping the youngsters suitably happy. 8/10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 14:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:
Loads of stuff for the grown ups

Really? I think the only bit I actually laughed at was the Queen kneeing someone in the balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 15:25 
Excellent Member

"Tabu", was one of my favourite films i've seen in a year or so, so i went and watched an earlier one from the same director:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/ja ... ust-review

Equally brilliant, and like "Tabu", different than every other thing i've ever seen. It put an huge smile on my face

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 15:32 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Loads of stuff for the grown ups

Really? I think the only bit I actually laughed at was the Queen kneeing someone in the balls.

Abbey Road, Moon Landings, Nixon Poster, the incessant tea drinking etc. Clearly just there for the grown ups to chortle about.

I did laugh most at the slapstick bits of course but I do appreciate the care and attention that goes into pitching a movie like this to the whole family.

BUT ALSO - That new Pixar film looks DAMN good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:27 
Bad Girl

In gaming/movie/music news (of a fashion) the title track to Adam Sandler's soon-to-be-awful new film Pixels has been released.

It's a mix of rap meets rock (again) but this time you have two of both genres big hitters (again)! It's just like when Run DMC met Aerosmith! Again!

In the rap corner: Waka Flocka Flame! (Who?) (I know really. You might not)

In the rock corner: Good Charlotte! (Are they still about?)

The title of the track: "Game on!" (Must have taken them ages to think that up)

Let's like to a video - http://hiphopdx.com/videos/id.20587/tit ... te-game-on

Oh my fucking ear holes are bleeding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 
Unpossible!

The first proper line of the song is "This is not a game"

Pft.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:56 
Bad Girl

Jet pack.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

On the plus side, you can play retro arcades at the cinema.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:44 
Decapodian

Went to see Terminator last night, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It really isn't as good as the first two which are still absolute classics, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The first half an hour or so with the alternate timeline was great - a very nice way of changing established continuity.
There's some fairly serious plot holes as it goes on, and some of the casting wasn't ideal, but it entertained me quite effectively.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 
EvilTrousers

Ditto and ditto. The reviews are probably a bit harsh.

The spoiler-tastic trailer ruined some of it for me though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 
Unpossible!

Do they explain why Ahrnold looks older? Because it bothers me. I know it's unavoidable, but it bothers me. Brent Spiner stopped playing Data because of age, why can't Arnie leave it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You shut your whore mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 
Gogmagog

He has a presidential campaign to plan, fund and run, according to the Prophecy of Demolition Man.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He's not allowed to be president. If he was, he probably would be by now.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 422  Next