Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 13:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
A musical would be have plot-advancing songs.

When did this get defined? Did I miss a memo?

Hardly definitive, but Wikipedia says "The musical film is a film genre in which songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing." which (a) seems just as reasonable a definition to me and (b) definitely includes Blues Brothers.

That's pretty much what DavPaz said, though. And it only includes The Blues Brothers because of Think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 16:57 

Grim... wrote:
That's pretty much what DavPaz said, though. And it only includes The Blues Brothers because of Think.

No, not just Think. To further quote Wikipedia:

Quote:
The musical film is a film genre in which songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing.

The songs usually advance the plot or develop the film's characters, though in some cases they serve merely as breaks in the storyline, often as elaborate "production numbers".
Which would include all the songs in The Blues Brothers. Again, Wikipedia is hardly definitive, but I think that's a common-sense definition.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:23 
Unpossible!

Musical is really just a setting anyway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:42 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
I watched Serenity today. I enjoyed it. I'll be yoinking Firefire next, I hope I've done this in the right order...

>:(

Is that a no?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:43 
Hibernating Druid

No need to make a song and dance about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 20:30 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

No, not just Think. To further quote Wikipedia:

Quote:
The musical film is a film genre in which songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing.

The songs usually advance the plot or develop the film's characters, though in some cases they serve merely as breaks in the storyline, often as elaborate "production numbers".
Which would include all the songs in The Blues Brothers. Again, Wikipedia is hardly definitive, but I think that's a common-sense definition.

Indeed. To quote a wise man from earlier on this thread, if there weren't any songs it wouldn't make any sense. Why would they be getting a band together? Why would they be going to an auditorium? Where would the big bag of money have come from?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 20:37 
Sleepyhead

Having a band and that band playing songs is not enough for a musical. If it just follows a band and they occasionally play a song isn't enough. If a movie involving people making music is a musical then Spinal Tap or 9 Songs are musicals, and they aren't.

That said, it is still a musical, obviously :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also Pitch Perfect and Sister Act would be musicals, and they're not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:41 

I think 'Musicals' should be defined as films where the lyrical content of the song acts either as narrator (to advance plot) or dialogue between characters (to advance plot as part if the dramatic play).

This provides distinction between movies where songs are confused with plot advancement simply because they are part of a story about a band.

That's not a given definition anywhere I've seen (though I've never looked) but perhaps clearer defines what I think of as a musical.

The plot advancement and carry of story through (sung) dialogue alone is opera. Musicals have those key factors of opera but with periods of spoken dramatic dialogue/narration.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
I think 'Musicals' should be defined as films where the lyrical content of the song acts either as narrator (to advance plot) or dialogue between characters (to advance plot as part if the dramatic play).

This provides distinction between movies where songs are confused with plot advancement simply because they are part of a story about a band.

That's not a given definition anywhere I've seen (though I've never looked) but perhaps clearer defines what I think of as a musical.

The plot advancement and carry of story through (sung) dialogue alone is opera. Musicals have those key factors of opera but with periods of spoken dramatic dialogue/narration.

:this:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:39 
Goth

I think a musical should now be any film that has music in it. Make the musicals section in HMV rather large...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:40 
SavyGamer

Yeah, any film where someone hums a tune for a bit is a musical.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 18:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched the first 40 minutes of Birdman yesterday. I hope it gets better because so far, it's a bit shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 23:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Nightcrawler was this evening's film, again I realise it's had a fair amount of loving earlier in this thread and I'm late to the party.....

Not much to say really, absolutely fucking awesome, albeit dark as hell. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is incredible, I'm not going say anything more without spoilers.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Went into it knowing very little, I had the idea in my head he was a news TV gatherer before it all started, wasn't expecting the whole 'thief decides to go into news footage gathering' angle. And how scary is he? Seriously, gave me the heebie jeebies more than once, great performance from the rest of the cast, albeit it's basically Gyllenhaal's vehicle, and by fuck he owns it. What is he, a sociopath, psychopath? He's scary as hell though.

I'm going to go 9.5/10, it's that good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:16 
Bad Girl

Yeah, it was pretty fab wasn't it? I hadn't read a single word about it before I watched it so it was such a surprise and delight. Great film.

I've just finished watching "Interstellar".

Whereas I wouldn't normally dismiss something with a pithy comment, it has gone 12 and its school tomorrow. So until someone wants to argue with me I'm just going to say:

It was shit.

I was fully committed to enjoy it despite the lead chap mumbling his way through it, but ...

"dad, you were my ghost"

...closely followed by...

"Tars, reprogramme my watch with the mysteries of the universe"

was too much.

Did I say it was shit? It was shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:58 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Harsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 
Excellent Member

Big Eyes was very pleasant.

I was a bit annoyed at the beginning because of all the overacting and lack of subtleness, but then i got used to it, and i get that's kind of the idea.

And to think that if this was directed a few years earlier we would have got Bonham Carter instead of the absolutely lovely Amy Adams and Depp instead of the great Cristopher Waltz (the man has a great comedic edge, i have to say)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 23:15 
INFINITE POWAH

About 45 minutes into Interstellar. Fine, as far as it goes, but fuck me TARS is a ludicrously impractical robot design (although funny as hell so far)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:16 
Bad Girl

It's a movie...AND ABOUT VIDEOGAMES!

... with Adam Sandler. It looks bad bad not good bad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 
Unpossible!

I wasn't convinced, especially when Sandler appeared, but fuck me, it got better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Subliminal advert at 1:38. The film looks pretty dire.

I liked the Minis, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 

Grim... wrote:
Subliminal advert at 1:38. The film looks pretty dire.

I liked the Minis, though.

There is!

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 11.23.01.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 13:35 
INFINITE POWAH

So, Interstellar - turns into Contact by way of the boring bit in Sunshine with the nutter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:21 
Goth

Suite Francaise - May have been an amazing book at some point but I felt the film was fairly bland. A good performance from Kristen Scott Thomas can't save it as she's not got enough screen time. It's got a few powerful scenes to do with the german occupation of france but dwells so much on the love story between the french girl and german officer that it ends up rather 'Bridget Jones but with goosestepping'.

It Follows - Should be commended on doing a lot with very little, having a lovely soundtrack and some nice ideas with the camerawork. It's good that it definitely isn't frenetic with the camera often enjoying a 360 pan. Something wasn't quite right in there somehow despite a relatively creepy scenario. From half way through I found myself a touch disengaged despite being a little spooked early on. I was enjoying it but I think the lack of spectacle was possibly party of the trouble - it all became rather mundane somehow. Oh and it is praiseworthy that I would think "Why don't they do x" then they do it in the film. Good but not great.

Karate Warrior (1987) - A terrible straight to video martial arts film about a guy who goes to the Philippines and ends up training to be involved in martial arts after getting beaten up. Eventually wins a martial arts competition with (almost) ryu like fireball (blue sparks from his hand). I loved it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 
EvilTrousers

I went to see Chappie last night.

It really has no clue what it is. It starts with "Exposition News" and then once you have been spoon fed that everything is still explained in excruciating, repeated detail complete with a macguffin that is signposted from minute one as being utterly crucial. And yet the security around it is risible.

But the worst thing in it is Hugh Jackman. Mainly because they have obviously tried way too hard to make him "not Wolverine" so he is dressed in stupid clothes, has a bowl cut AND a mullet and is clinically insane yet allowed to be the engineer on ED-209 and carry a gun IN THE OFFICE.

Sigourney Weaver is in it and so massively underused it is criminal and her character is another two dimensional placeholder.

Overall it was funny at times but ultimately not worth the frustration.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 
Hibernating Druid

Karate Warrior it is then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 
Rude Belittler

I was interested in Chappie... but then I heard that Die Antwoord are in it and I immediately lost all interest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:48 
Rude Belittler

Also: Blues Brothers is definitely a musical, and sci-fi is absolutely a genre. Anyone who says otherwise is a wrong - headed mong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You're 33% correct!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 22:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Finally got round to watching 'One Hour Photo' with Robin Williams, it's been on the NAS forever but I've just never felt myself in the mood for it as I kind of knew what it was all about, and since he killed himself I've not been overly inclined to visit what I knew was one of his darker roles.

However since I'm in a bit of an off-mood myself at the moment (vasectomy operation yesterday which didn't go entirely according to plan)*, I figured I'd watch it.

So yes, on one level it's hard to separate the man from the role, the sadness and darkness and the way he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders from one scene to the next is painful to watch because you know there's a good chunk of him that really did feel like that on some level, but then again it doesn't take anything away from what is a towering performance.

Great film too, and gets it all done in an hour and a half. 9/10 - but very sad.

* Seriously, you never want to see as much blood pumping out of one of your bollocks as I had yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 22:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Seriously, you never want to see as much blood pumping out of one of your bollocks as I had yesterday.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 

I never really want to see any blood pumping out of my bollocks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 16:17 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Seriously, you never want to see as much blood pumping out of one of your bollocks as I had yesterday.

Take it easy and rest, the fun isn't over yet. My mate had this op and whilst he never had the "bollock" issues you're reporting it was around 6 months before they could tell him it had worked (in that he had no swimmers in his samples) at one point he was under the threat of a 2nd round of surgery.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 16:20 

I'm sure that news has cheered him right up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 16:25 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I'm sure that news has cheered him right up.

*snort* totally :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Fancied a bit of a daft action film last night so decided to watch The Transporter for the first time ever, even though I bought the DVD from HMV years ago, I've just never got round to watching it.

What a load of old tosh that was. Stupid PG-13 language and violence (even though it's a Cert 15, I reckon it'd get a 12 these days), and didn't seem to be able to work out if it was supposed to be taken seriously or not.

Some of the car stuff was pretty good (albeit completely ridiculous, with speedos showing 120-140mph driving through tiny little French back streets where you'd be hard pushed to get to 50mph), and seeing the Japanese lass in her knickers was nice, but overall, not good at all.

4/10 - Didn't really work for me, annoyingly I've got the second one to watch as it was two-film boxset that I bought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 
Bad Girl

I think I'm right in saying the first is garbage but the second is pretty fun after the karate got dialled up a notch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 
Hello Hello Hello

I might give the second one a go tonight then, at 90 minutes you can't accuse them of dragging on at least.

Also I quite like Statham.

Oh yes I remember the thing that annoyed me the most now, that ridiculous accent that Statham seemed to be doing (some of the time), what was all that about?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 
Excellent Member

Also a TV show of this https://www.tvrage.com/Transporter_the_ ... ode_list/1

Its 2 Seasons with a 3rd planned to still active

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You've seen Crank and Crank 2, right? They're the best Statham action films by an absurd margin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think Statham is utterly brilliant, and I'm convinced that there's a big film producer's joke where they insist on making him do a silly accent in all his films. Same as Sean Bean only being allowed acting roles where he doesn't last past half the film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 

Grim... wrote:
You've seen Crank and Crank 2, right? They're the best Statham action films by an absurd margin.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:22 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
I think Statham is utterly brilliant, and I'm convinced that there's a big film producer's joke where they insist on making him do a silly accent in all his films. Same as Sean Bean only being allowed acting roles where he doesn't last past half the film.

They're intimidated by Stalham's manly baldness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

Yeah I've seen both the Cranks, the first one was awesome but I felt the second one had a 'nasty' edge to it that I couldn't quite put my finger on but I didn't enjoy it as much.

And the lass in it. Woah!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

She's in Mirrors, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'The Grey' last night with Mr Liam Neeson.

I really like Liam Neeson, the first thing I remember seeing him in (certainly as the lead) was Darkman back in 1990 and he was dead good in that, just a mesmerising screen presence.

Anyway, whilst I haven't seen the trailer for The Grey I did read that it makes it look like an action-packed wolf-fighting thriller with non-stop man-on-wolf combat, a bit like the trailer for Drive made it look like The Fast And The Furious.

As long as you don't expect the wolf-fighting thriller, but are instead happy to settle down and watch a really strong character driven examination of the human condition and man's desire to survive, with a dollop of rumination on faith, you'll be good.

Great film and a strong cast all round - 8.5/10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched 'Flight' with Denzel in it last night, it's on Netflix UK.

Now, it was a good enough film, and Denzel was absolutely awesome but then again he always is. Rest of the cast were great too, including a welcome turn by John Goodman.

However towards the end it started to ring a bit off for me, the film is about alcoholism and addiction, not actually planes at all really, which I knew, and that's fine. But the protagonist's actions started to not make sense for me, particularly the set up for the final big scene which sets him up for eventual redemption.

I would still recommend it I suppose, and maybe a full-bore alcoholic really would do what Denzel did, but I'm not convinced. I've been a functional addict myself in the past (and known many) and you work within boundaries that still enable you to get shit done, which is how Denzel's character is portrayed - so I dunno really.

8/10 - Still a good fillum.

EDIT - The one actual 'flight' that is in the film is fucking awesome though, and incredibly scary, tense, and exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:02 

We watched Whiplash a week or so ago.

I thought it was great. I could believe in the extremities of behavior from the orchestra leader, though I would have thought that a greater number of people would walk in such circumstances, despite prestige.

I enjoyed teh journey, but afterwards Russell said he couldn't understand what the film was trying to achieve.

I always think that to tell a good story is enough of an achievement, and the film does that with some gusto.

no explosions, no boobs, no car chases.

Lots of drumming.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 

I watched '22 Jump Street' on the plane. Absolutely loved it. I was laughing out loud throughout, probably to the annoyance of other passengers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
no explosions, no boobs, no car chases.

I'm out.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 422  Next