Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:03 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Satsuma wrote:
I watched Dune: Part 2 too. Man alive the audio in IMAX was so fucking groovy. Looked nice too. I’ve never been a Dune book fan, mind, and never played the Amiga game either. Still, I enjoyed the first film a lot and it won me over by the end. Bit slow to get moving, mind. And I wanted more of a “Helms Deep” battle at the end after waiting so fucking long.

Nope, a duel between les infants terribles.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
But I was slightly irritated that Jessica's daughter hadn't been born and therefore this climax was absent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 22:02 
Decapodian

Seize Them was clearly made on a very low budget but made us laugh quite a bit.

Aimee Lou Wood could do a fine live action version of Bean from disenchantment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 23:23 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My ex is in Sieze Them, shaking a pitchfork in the background. Apparently Jessica Hynes is lovely and Nick Frost is an absolute chuffing unit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:04 
Unpossible!

Squirt wrote:
My ex is in Sieze Them, shaking a pitchfork in the background. Apparently Jessica Hynes is lovely and Nick Frost is an absolute chuffing unit.

I'm glad to hear that about Jessica Hynes as I've had a crush on her for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:08 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

DavPaz wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I'm glad to hear that about Jessica Hynes as I've had a crush on her for a long time.

This was very much my feelings on the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

zaphod79 wrote:

oh that looks good...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 13:56 
sneering elitist

Poor Things is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 17:30 
Decapodian

Jem wrote:
Poor Things is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

We are in agreement.

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Poor Things was weird as fuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 14:34 
Soopah red DS

Road House. I've never seen the original, or I might have thought this a bit pointless. As it is, it's fun. Connor McGregor is terrifying and looks like he's having fun. Frankly, who'd stop him? Jake Gueeelenhaaala is buff and convincing and it all rolls by prettily. I managed to only say "Road house!" in my best Peter Griffin voice a few times.

I'm going to watch the original some time soon and test my hypothesis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 14:38 
Isn't that lovely?

I rented Roadhouse (the original) from Selecta Video (which closed a couple of years after Blockbusters opened up around the corner) in the early 90s.

I don't think I've watched it again since then, and I can't really remember much about what happened in it, I had heard bad things about the remake, so I have not gone out of my way to watch it.

I am not sure I added much to the conversation here, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:54 
Isn't that lovely?

Expend4bles

Oh my god, the first 45 minutes are absolutely shit.

Obvious stunt doubles, bits where it looks like they had to think about what the next line was, poor dialogue, shocking CGI, awful acting, editing and direction.

It gets better in the second half, but not by much.

and the 'twist' is so bloody obvious

Unless that appeals to you, then I wouldn't bother, it felt like An Asylum level film, (Sharknado, Atlantic Rim, etc) but with actual proper actors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 21:31 

Civil War

Fucking hell. No, seriously, I mean it. Fucking. Hell. An incredible movie, and one that should act as a stark warning. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole runtime, and there's one scene in particular that just... the tension was off the fucking charts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:22 
Decapodian

Went to see Terminator 2 at the cinema tonight, and it’s still awesome 33 years on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 21:36 
Sitting balls-back folder

Fucking hell.

I'm not spoilering this, because no-one should watch it. No really, you shouldn't watch it.

Rebel moon 2 doubles down on mashing together stolen tropes and pastiches (it genuinely rips off Aliens and Alien Resurrection final scenes for its final scenes, having run out Star Wars) and somehow Netflix still let Snyder end with trying to set up a third part.

This has to be the end of his career, it's almost the worst film I've ever watched. Scratch that. I can't think of a worse film I've ever watched.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 21:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well now I want to watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 22:14 

Hey, I ain't no Satsuma!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:26 
Hibernating Druid

It took me 3 sittings to get through the first part of it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 18:04 
Bad Girl

Man alive Expend4bles is fucking terrible. The dialogue is hilariously bad, the cast has no chemistry whatsoever and the whole film appears to have been made on more green screens than the Star Wars prequels.

I’m sure I watched a leaked version of one of the Expendables where the CG hadn’t been done properly. It’s like watching that again.

I don’t know how you get the lead guy from The Raid (soz I don’t know his name) and Tony Jaa and just don’t fucking use them either! And why 50 Cent is here, I don’t know. Maybe to get clearance on the one time they used his song?!

Christ, the action is awful (apart from a few Jason Statham bits, mind) and this can’t even lick John Wick’s boots. And the end? The fucking end. Jesus pissing Christ. It was coming a mile off. My eyeballs rolling in their sockets were probably audible to my neighbours mowing the lawn outside.

Mind you, Megan Fox’s lack of a bra in a white vest kinda made up for the 1 hour and 40 minutes wasted.

Oh and I watched Palm Spring with Andy Samburg. It’s a Groundhog Day rip off that’s good for 40 minutes and then it’s shit. The love interest literally learns quantum physics. All of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 18:10 
Isn't that lovely?

Satsuma wrote:
Man alive Expend4bles is fucking terrible. The dialogue is hilariously bad, the cast has no chemistry whatsoever and the whole film appears to have been made on more green screens than the Star Wars prequels.

I’m sure I watched a leaked version of one of the Expendables where the CG hadn’t been done properly. It’s like watching that again.

I don’t know how you get the lead guy from The Raid (soz I don’t know his name) and Tony Jaa and just don’t fucking use them either! And why 50 Cent is here, I don’t know. Maybe to get clearance on the one time they used his song?!

Christ, the action is awful (apart from a few Jason Statham bits, mind) and this can’t even lick John Wick’s boots. And the end? The fucking end. Jesus pissing Christ. It was coming a mile off. My eyeballs rolling in their sockets were probably audible to my neighbours mowing the lawn outside.

Mind you, Megan Fox’s lack of a bra in a white vest kinda made up for the 1 hour and 40 minutes wasted.

Oh and I watched Palm Spring with Andy Samburg. It’s a Groundhog Day rip off that’s good for 40 minutes and then it’s shit. The love interest literally learns quantum physics. All of it.

I had a quick look on Wikipedia, and Stallone was involved with the directing/writing of the first 3 films, but not this last one, I have no idea if that contributes to how awful the film is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 22:31 

Grim... wrote:
Well now I want to watch it.

The critical drinker is way too generous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 16:05 
Decapodian

GazChap wrote:
Civil War

Fucking hell. No, seriously, I mean it. Fucking. Hell. An incredible movie, and one that should act as a stark warning. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole runtime, and there's one scene in particular that just... the tension was off the fucking charts.

:this:

That was a stunningly good bit of cinema. Absolutely perfect from start to finish. I think I stopped breathing for about an hour.

Very effective use of music, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:10 
Bad Girl

I’ve watched Civil War too. I don’t know what you lot were watching but I thought it was poorly paced, had shit CG and I didn’t buy Tony Starks motivation.

Ho ho, only kidding, it was seriously excellent. My kind of thing through and through. I’m not sure it was worth the IMAX price of admission… although the loud noises scarred the piss out of audience and made me jump on a couple of occasions. It did look gorgeous though. It had a no frills beauty and framing.

Couple of things though. Man alive, was the soundtrack fucking GREAT! There weren’t many songs but each one really elevated each sequence they accompanied and drove it forward like a fucking truck.

But the one problem I had with it was the young photographer. I’m not sure the actress was the right choice for a variety of reasons although she gave a decent performance. But I just didn’t like how cliche the corridor fight at the end was. Everything before that was so grounded and realistic and that felt contrived. I’d have been much happier if that shoot out ended with some kind of sudden unexpected violence rather than

running into the middle of a hallway in a shoot out to take a photograph of…well, no one was there at the time so absolutely fucking nothing. Or maybe she wanted a photograph of the next guy to come round the door and shoot her in the face like the big bullseye she was. I get she was supposed to be showing how reckless she was, but she was never suicidal.

Anyway, it just rubbed me up the wrong way ever so slightly in what was otherwise a thoroughly excellent film that I hope gets remembered around Oscar time. There’s plenty to celebrate here.

And that ending was so fucking satisfying. I sat watching the titles roll to see the photograph developed. Really clever stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 

The same actress is going to be in Alien: Romulus, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 16:13 
Hibernating Druid

Did my 1st sitting of Rebel Moon pt2 last night. 40 mins of not right much.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 
Gogmagog

Money Plane: knows what it is,.entertaining enough

Legend: thinks it is way cooler than it is, Hardy does a decent job. Watch Money Plane instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 18:22 
Bad Girl

Saw X is a movie.

I’ve seen some saying “it’s the best since Saw 2!!!” and “ZOMG it’s more focussed on Jigsaw as a character and explores his motivations and it’s not really about the killings!!!!”

All a crock of shit. It’s poorly acted, boring, trite nonsense. It’s the usual fare but all the deaths are at the end…Like, a fucking hour into the thing. It’s not really creative either and just a bit shit. Mind you, the two actual death machines are squimishly funny…well, not the torture but the reaction of the actors.

Overall: one bag of shit.

Reply to topic  [ 21127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423