Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 16947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 561, 562, 563, 564, 565  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43245
Location: The erogenous zone
Hearthly wrote:
I rewatched RAMBO FIRST BLOOD last night for the millionth time, it's such a fantastic film

Led to most of our cub scout group buying hunting knives with sewing kits and compass in the handle.

Then a ban on hunting knives with sewing kits and compass in the handle in ourt cub scout group.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11644
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
First Blood is ace. I recited Sly's monologue at the end while doing a (passable?) impression of Stallone while in a crowded pub with Jem, once. The waitress that was serving us didn't know quite what to make of it ;)

THE LEGS.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9171
GazChap wrote:
The waitress that was serving us knew exactly what to make of it but was too polite to say


Feex.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 13:11 
User avatar
:3

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 1802
Location: Broseley
Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:
The waitress that was serving us knew exactly what to make of it but was too polite to say


Feex.

:DD

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 14:16 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11644
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Yes, quite probably.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 1881
Black Panther! Really enjoyed that. Couple of post credits scenes, including one right at the end (as per, but in case you think you might be sitting there for nothing, as I often do). There's a general sense of joy, particularly from Lupita Nyong'o, who lights up the screen when she's on. Parts of it seemed to drag a bit, though that might be because it effectively created a sense of a different culture, so the pacing was just ...different.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Only one moment where they announced "The Black..." slowly enough that my brain autofilled in "Vegetable". I loved the fact that the cities of Wakanda looked so alive. Partly due to the advanced tech, but also because they weren't pasted in advertising. If you accept there's a general soft message of multiculturalism and that we're all brothers and sisters, this is a nice addition along the lines of 'this super advanced culture has moved beyond capitalism in some undefined and unexplained way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
Seen Get Out, after all the hype, i came a bit disappointed, even though it was fun.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racial angle is what set this film apart from other slasher/revenge films of the kind, but it felt really tacked on because it made absolutely no sense.

Why did the armitages abducted only black people? One character (the art dealer) explained it, but it made no sense at all that explanation. So they are not racists, quite the opposite, if their grandparents decide to keep on living in the bodies of black people.

And why did the grandparents were working as house servants? Was this to cheat the main character or the audience? I'm sure it was the second, and this is one aspect of storytelling i really hate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32922
RuySan wrote:
Seen Get Out, after all the hype, i came a bit disappointed, even though it was fun.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racial angle is what set this film apart from other slasher/revenge films of the kind, but it felt really tacked on because it made absolutely no sense.

Why did the armitages abducted only black people? One character (the art dealer) explained it, but it made no sense at all that explanation. So they are not racists, quite the opposite, if their grandparents decide to keep on living in the bodies of black people.

And why did the grandparents were working as house servants? Was this to cheat the main character or the audience? I'm sure it was the second, and this is one aspect of storytelling i really hate.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racism is very very far from tacked on. The racism of the family is so ingrained that they only value black people for their physical attributes (throwback to slavery, much?), whether that is for sex, stamina or beauty. They take black people because they arrogantly assume that won't be missed. The grandparents aren't living as servants, but playing a part whilst the protagonist is there.

So... I think you missed the point a little


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63265
Location: Your Mum
JBR wrote:
Couple of post credits scenes, including one right at the end (as per, but in case you think you might be sitting there for nothing, as I often do).

Bosh http://www.mediastinger.com into your bookmarks.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
DavPaz wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Seen Get Out, after all the hype, i came a bit disappointed, even though it was fun.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racial angle is what set this film apart from other slasher/revenge films of the kind, but it felt really tacked on because it made absolutely no sense.

Why did the armitages abducted only black people? One character (the art dealer) explained it, but it made no sense at all that explanation. So they are not racists, quite the opposite, if their grandparents decide to keep on living in the bodies of black people.

And why did the grandparents were working as house servants? Was this to cheat the main character or the audience? I'm sure it was the second, and this is one aspect of storytelling i really hate.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racism is very very far from tacked on. The racism of the family is so ingrained that they only value black people for their physical attributes (throwback to slavery, much?), whether that is for sex, stamina or beauty. They take black people because they arrogantly assume that won't be missed. The grandparents aren't living as servants, but playing a part whilst the protagonist is there.

So... I think you missed the point a little


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the casual racism until the "twist" was very well done and and script well written. It's only that it fell apart when the movie turned into a horror movie. I also thought about the "won't be missed" reason, but the US is also filled with impoverished whites (the whole "white/trailer thrash thing"), so why live the rest of their days as blacks if they're so racist?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46017
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I can't be racist, my favourite kidnapped and murdered host body is black!

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7192
Yeah there's definitely a strong element of fetishization.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
Cras wrote:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I can't be racist, my favourite kidnapped and murdered host body is black!


ahahah

Well, the "i can't be racist because i have black friends" works as a fallacy only within itself. If you're married to a black woman and have black sons and daughters, can't you claim "I can't be racist because i have a black wife"? Well, that was what our ex-Prime Minister once said. This is not a rhetorical question, it's a legitimate question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14377
No.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 10935
There can never be any condition or circumstance that grants immunity from being racist, don’t be daft.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43245
Location: The erogenous zone
RuySan wrote:
If you're married to a black woman and have black sons and daughters, can't you claim "I can't be racist because i have a black wife"? Well, that was what our ex-Prime Minister once said. This is not a rhetorical question, it's a legitimate question.

Other races exist. Not just black and white.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:17 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32922
RuySan wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Seen Get Out, after all the hype, i came a bit disappointed, even though it was fun.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racial angle is what set this film apart from other slasher/revenge films of the kind, but it felt really tacked on because it made absolutely no sense.

Why did the armitages abducted only black people? One character (the art dealer) explained it, but it made no sense at all that explanation. So they are not racists, quite the opposite, if their grandparents decide to keep on living in the bodies of black people.

And why did the grandparents were working as house servants? Was this to cheat the main character or the audience? I'm sure it was the second, and this is one aspect of storytelling i really hate.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The racism is very very far from tacked on. The racism of the family is so ingrained that they only value black people for their physical attributes (throwback to slavery, much?), whether that is for sex, stamina or beauty. They take black people because they arrogantly assume that won't be missed. The grandparents aren't living as servants, but playing a part whilst the protagonist is there.

So... I think you missed the point a little


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the casual racism until the "twist" was very well done and and script well written. It's only that it fell apart when the movie turned into a horror movie. I also thought about the "won't be missed" reason, but the US is also filled with impoverished whites (the whole "white/trailer thrash thing"), so why live the rest of their days as blacks if they're so racist?

Because money makes it all ok


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:32 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63265
Location: Your Mum
RuySan wrote:
If you're married to a black woman and have black sons and daughters, can't you claim "I can't be racist because i have a black wife"?

I used to work with a girl who had a Jamaican husband, and she was the most racist person I knew.

She figured it gave her a pass. It did not.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:26 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
Zardoz wrote:
RuySan wrote:
If you're married to a black woman and have black sons and daughters, can't you claim "I can't be racist because i have a black wife"? Well, that was what our ex-Prime Minister once said. This is not a rhetorical question, it's a legitimate question.

Other races exist. Not just black and white.


According to Americans yes, there's one more: "Asian". Sometimes there's a fourth one "Hispanic".

As for in the real world, there's a multitude of ethnicities, not "races", but that's not what Americans refer to when they babble about "diversity".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:34 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14377
Are you sure you aren't just thinking of something you saw on a police TV show where they're describing someone's physical appearance in necessarily vague terms? America is a country made up of people from all over the place, I'd say they're quite well aware of these things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:36 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
They refer to all American blacks as "African-Americans" don't they?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:37 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 30214
RuySan wrote:
As for in the real world, there's a multitude of ethnicities, not "races", but that's not what Americans refer to when they babble about "diversity".

https://giphy.com/explore/facepalm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:44 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
That's mature. Why not try to contribute with something worthwhile?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 14:46 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 30214
RuySan wrote:
That's mature. Why not try to contribute with something worthwhile?

Because your opinions on all matters like this long ago sailed into "just plain offensive" territory for me. There's no point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:33 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
RuySan wrote:
That's mature. Why not try to contribute with something worthwhile?

Because your opinions on all matters like this long ago sailed into "just plain offensive" territory for me. There's no point.


I find your opinions much more offensive and racist.

I don't know why arguing for the use of ethnicity and against the use of race is offensive. I find that your slacktivism and bleeding-heart "liberalism" from your privileged first world view much more obtuse.

You know, i'm not going to use the "i have black friends" but i have lived and worked on the most impoverished parts of the world, and seen and witnessed the true diversity of sub-saarian african countries, and it's not only about skin colour. Far from it. So you think all these people should be lumped under the term "Black"? So when i hear the back patting of privileged anglo-saxon whites commenting on diversity, when it all comes down to american people with darker skin speaking english it really makes angry. I find it beyond racist and completely oblivious of the world outside english speaking countries.

I'm sure you'll say that you know Africa very well because you went to some safari in South Africa or some other stupid cliche. That's fine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:51 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46017
All that, and you still think that "how can someone be racist if they have a black wife" is a valid question to ask?

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:59 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63265
Location: Your Mum
RuySan wrote:
So you think all these people should be lumped under the term "Black"?

No - you do.

If I'm being really charitable here you could have messed the English up, maybe? Your previous posts have been very much in the vein of "there are black people and white people".

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:15 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3431
Grim... wrote:
RuySan wrote:
So you think all these people should be lumped under the term "Black"?

No - you do.

If I'm being really charitable here you could have messed the English up, maybe? Your previous posts have been very much in the vein of "there are black people and white people".


This is exactly the opposite point i'm trying to make. But i suppose there's something miss in the "translation". Doctor said that I was being offensive for being against the use of "race", while arguing for the use of "ethnicity". I don't like this obsession with race exactly because of that, there's no other way than to lump every "black" people into the same category (same for "whites" and "asians")

When my sister was in the US she had to fill some forms while coming in the airport, and then there was one line about race. WTF? Seriously this pretty much sums the problem americans have with race.

@Craster, You've been hostile towards me for a very long while, and i have no reason why, and the fact that you didn't even made an effort to counter my post with reasonable arguments , and went instead to try to insult me yet again shows something. Seriously, whats the deal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63265
Location: Your Mum
RuySan wrote:
Doctor said that I was being offensive for being against the use of "race", while arguing for the use of "ethnicity".

He was probably offended by "there are black people and white people", or possibly your racist view of America. We may find out.

I'll let Craster explain why he insulted you with, um, a question.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:22 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46017
RuySan wrote:
@Craster, You've been hostile towards me for a very long while, and i have no reason why, and the fact that you didn't even made an effort to counter my post with reasonable arguments , and went instead to try to insult me yet again shows something. Seriously, whats the deal?


You have a weird view of hostile. I think most of your views on diversity, ethnicity, and gender are outdated and unpleasant, and I object to them where appropriate. When you're not talking about those subjects I don't hold anything against you.

I remind you of a while back where you were arguing on the side of "maybe women just don't want to be politicians".

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 16947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 561, 562, 563, 564, 565  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbo, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
cron
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.