PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:49 
SupaMod
Everybodys gilf

Oh. Except that one.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 19:08 
SupaMod
Everybodys gilf

I've realised what it is about Tyler that jars with me. He sounds like Ray Romano.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 19:16 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I've realised what it is about Tyler that jars with me. He sounds like Ray Romano.

Yes! That's it! God that was bothering me for so long.

Also, he has no chin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 19:52 

Cras wrote:

Shazad Latif (who plays Tyler) was a regular character in obscure-but-good Matt-Berry-vehicle Toast Of London. (He was Clem Fandango, if you've seen it.) This is quite distracting. Still, he's done well for himself. He was also in later seasons of Penny Dreadful apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 20:03 
SavyGamer

Playing Doctor Jekyll.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 21:58 

Starfleet:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
”Oh my god I am so angry that the captain of the Discovery was a secret Terran that I’m just going to have to do it again”

(Spoilers for this week’s episode)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 17:49 
SavyGamer

I enjoyed the run of episodes towards the end of the season, but found the final episode to be a bit of a mess, and wasn't totally satisfied with the conclusion of some of the story arcs from the series so far.

I think the central plot of the whole season (Klingon War, Spore Drive, questionable allegiances etc) should have been spread out a bit more, so the mid season break was the finale. They could have given some story beats a bit more time, and mixed in a few more standalone episodes, where we get to see how the characters are in a different kind of setting. I'd have loved a few episodes that were classic trek probably with a new (to the Federation) alien race/planet, and some kind of philosophical/ideological challenge, where the crew just have to think through a problem. The Mudd episode stands out as one of the more entertaining episodes, a couple more like that would have been nice.

I appreciate they are doing something different, but I think in their eagerness to establish it as a new kind of Trek, they've perhaps gone too far in the direction of wanting to avoid just being the next next generation.

The final episode, and conclusions to the arc of the season as a whole, had interesting ideas, I just think it felt rushed. It would have benefited from being a two parter.

The very final moment, which was a set up for the next season, I really really didn't like either, but we'll see what they do with it.

The first season was a bit rocky in places, and there's quite a few areas I'd like to see them improve for the next season, but it's also done a lot of interesting things, and I'm definitely anticipating it's continuation (it is already confirmed for a second season). We'll see how it goes, but a lot of the heavy lifting is already done or partially done, and it's clearly found an audience, so fingers crossed it fully delivers on it's potential going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:37 

This article nails a number of things that were bothering me about Discovery, and why I haven’t enjoyed it as much as most others here seem to have done so. (Massive spoilers.)

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/no-follow-through/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 14:23 
Lupine member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This article nails a number of things that were bothering me about Discovery, and why I haven’t enjoyed it as much as most others here seem to have done so. (Massive spoilers.)

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/no-follow-through/

It's a good article and I can't argue with a lot of it.

The last few episodes were definitely the weakest, and it's a shame they basically reset everything for season 2.

Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12