Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one finishes games anymore
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 21:00 
Paws for thought

Gears 3, as with all the gears games, really needs to be played in coop.
Although I do think it worked much better with 2 person coop rather than 4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:37 

Son of a bitch. I just accidentally completed Dawn of Sorrow. Thankfully my save takes me back before the boss. Apparently I need the Paranoia soul to get the good ending. What a game though!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Someone set of my OCD alarm!

Who was it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
Gears 3 is by far the worst of the lot. Two shitheaps in particular being the lambent fucking berserker hour long slog, followed by the completely unfair beetleshit at the end.

Couple that with the endless stream of shit DLC means the Gears franchise is now dead to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:54 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Dimrill wrote:
Gears 3 is by far the worst of the lot. Two shitheaps in particular being the lambent fucking berserker hour long slog, followed by the completely unfair beetleshit at the end.

The lambent berserker is so fucking easy, but it's an endless, boring slog. I'm still stuck on the beetleshit on Insane 4-player co-op. It just kicks us in the teeth every time I try it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:20 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mass Effect 3 finished now.. Not bad at all. 9/10 for me I think

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 14:39 
Paws for thought

Malabelm wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

The lambent berserker is so fucking easy, but it's an endless, boring slog. I'm still stuck on the beetleshit on Insane 4-player co-op. It just kicks us in the teeth every time I try it.

I seem to remember the beetle bugged out on our insane playthrough and it was rather easy that time. Hours of attempts before it did that though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 15:21 
Skillmeister

Malabelm wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I utilised a trick to obtain the infinite ammo modifier which was vital. Clear your cache and start an offline horde. Build a turret and during the brief setup between waves, shoot two bullets, reload it, shoot two bullets, reload, etc etc. Get the ribbon 50 or 100 times and you unlock the infinite ammo.

Without clearing the cache you can only get the ribbon once per wave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 
Paws for thought

Trine 2 : Rather entertaining. Although some tit kept whacking me with planks.

And told me that he needed the man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 
Skillmeister

The Man was needed at that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 
UltraMod

Finished the story of Lego Batman 2 - by far and away the best Lego game yet, apart from some niggles. Flying in the hub section, the constant saving every time you pick up a gold brick which causes your co-op partner's character to just stop what they're doing (meaning they often fail an objective of their own).

It's going to take a while to get to 100% though, the game is huge - I think we're up to about 36% now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 13:05 

Deus Ex 3 done. Essentially completed it in three large chunks over a year or so... Was excellent though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:35 
Skillmeister

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
It's going to take a while to get to 100% though, the game is huge - I think we're up to about 36% now.

It doesn't take long. I was quite disappointed in the brevity of the game. 15 story missions instead of the usual 19 or 20. Hub world is good but repetitive. I did spend 31 gruelling hours maxing Star Wars 3 though so I might be SLIGHTLY MAD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:41 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
It doesn't take long. I was quite disappointed in the brevity of the game. 15 story missions instead of the usual 19 or 20.

I preferred it to be a bit shorter - the story mode usually drags for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:02 
Ass creed brotherhood done. Basically the same as Ass creed 2 still good fun. Shame the story was so short.7/10

WTF at the ending however. Now on to Ass creed revelations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:16 
Slightly Brackish

nickachu wrote:
Ass creed brotherhood done. Basically the same as Ass creed 2 still good fun. Shame the story was so short.7/10

WTF at the ending however. Now on to Ass creed revelations.

Unless you really really love AC, skip Revelations. They basically got a handful of the team to cobble it together as a filler while most of them worked on AC3 making that wonderful, and the end result shows. Hopefully it will show in AC3 too and I'll be able to forgive them, but Revelations was a meandering pointless cash cow of little value.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:06 
UltraMod

I'll add this to the list of U-turns, shall I?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:12 

What is it you've got against people changing their minds? Are you a robot or something, man?!

Sometimes games can go from good to bad and vice versa! And that's especially likely if you're discussing a game as you're playing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:19 
UltraMod

Alberto is legendary for it though. He once told me that DLC is for glitchers and kiddy fiddlers and that he would never support that business model - now he guzzles it down like when Augustus Gloop got his hands on that crack-flavoured chocolate in the Wonka factory.

Another one was when he said all military warfare games are shit and he'd never get one. Now he's played all three Modern Warfares. He's awful for it. If he wasn't so vehement about his views before flip-flopping it would be one thing, but he's so vocal about it. There's been so many I have to keep score these days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:25 
Sleepyhead

It's like you and your opinions on cricketers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:30 
Slightly Brackish

If he wasn't so vehement about his views before flip-flopping it would be one thing, but he's so vocal about it.
I always thought he understood hyperbole; that I am so vehement and over-the-top in my complaints on purpose precisely to amuse him if and when I backtrack. Now I'm really not sure :S

As specifically relates to AC:R/AC3, I didn't realise at the time that AC:R was essentially a playground for them to test some new ideas (Desmond portal-lite sequences, tower defence bits, running around making bombs like a fucking 21st century terrorist in Renaissance Italy and other awful awful stuff) to see how they worked/were received before deciding whether to use them in AC3, which was the proper game to bring the series to a crescendo. I expected AC:R to be a glorious continuation of the saga in its own right, and went into it with probably as high an expectation level as I did any game that year, which is why I found it such a crushing disappointment. Objectively, it's still not very good, but if I'd understood at the start how it really fitted in to the series then I'd have been more accepting of its many faults.

Post subject: No one finishes games anymore
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:52 

I agree with your Ac:r comment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 18:42 
Unpossible!

Are there any important ahem, revelations in Revelations, that I would need to read about?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 18:44 

In what way?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 19:04 
Slightly Brackish

DavPaz wrote:
Are there any important ahem, revelations in Revelations, that I would need to read about?

No, in a word. Ezio looks for books because he fancies a woman who likes books. There's flashbacks to Altair which make you wish you had spent the last three games playing as him instead of Ezio. In the present day, that annoying English bloke muses over whether they can trust Desmond after
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
he stabbed Lucy in Brotherhood

and Desmond himself spends the entire game in the animus. Nothing moves on in any meaningful sense, in fact the only thing I found vaguely interesting came in one of the DLC portions of the game when it is revealed that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
while Lucy had been planted at Abstergo by the assassins, she'd been turned by the Templars and was an enemy all along

As I said, an "OMG we have a space to fill in the annual franchise, let's bung something out there" game that avoided containing anything of value that could be better utilised in AC3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:05 

Alberto is legendary for it though. He once told me that DLC is for glitchers and kiddy fiddlers and that he would never support that business model - now he guzzles it down like when Augustus Gloop got his hands on that crack-flavoured chocolate in the Wonka factory.

Another one was when he said all military warfare games are shit and he'd never get one. Now he's played all three Modern Warfares. He's awful for it. If he wasn't so vehement about his views before flip-flopping it would be one thing, but he's so vocal about it. There's been so many I have to keep score these days.

It amazes me how some people on here have a memory of who said what to such an extent that you can actually start mapping patterns of behaviour like that. It's all just some people on the internet to me. I dunno who's better off, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 
Paws for thought

GovernmentYard wrote:

It amazes me how some people on here have a memory of who said what to such an extent that you can actually start mapping patterns of behaviour like that. It's all just some people on the internet to me. I dunno who's better off, to be honest.

That they know each other away from here may well have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 
UltraMod

GovernmentYard wrote:

Alberto was best man at my wedding (contradiction in terms though it is).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 
Participant in dramatic games

woohoo, completed xbox pacman ce dx...
http://instagram.com/p/NvadWaD4MU/
:blown:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:59 

Finally finished Guardian of Light with the Mrs! It's only taken us two years. Helluva lot of game for your buck. Great fun co-op from start to finish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:25 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:
Finally finished Guardian of Light with the Mrs! It's only taken us two years. Helluva lot of game for your buck. Great fun co-op from start to finish.

It is excellent and I too played through it with Mrs B, who enjoyed it in spite of herself. It's just come out on Android (currently stupid fucking pointless Xperia exclusive) so I'll probably play it through again when it gets a full release. Although it depends on how well the controls translate...

Pro-tip: don't buy the DLC, it's fucking awful. I was expecting some more of the same but it's just some of the shittest mechanics from the full game stretched out annoyingly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:48 

I shan't bother with the DLC then!

I'm gonna carry on with Mass Effect 2 today. I can't remember where I got up to though so I hope I can jump straight back in... Seeing as Dimrill thinks it's 'mazin' and everything, I should at least give it another shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:55 
Skillmeister

I doubt you'd like it now. It builds. What you've done is stop fucking it halfway through, now go back and immediately spluff and expect it to be the greatest sex ever. Won't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 14:58 

I'll use a lubricant!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 15:34 

I was halfway through a mission that I just finished. I got a Krogan in a glass tank. How far am I? Also, it's fun. I've no idea why I stopped playing it. Can't remember at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 15:51 
Hibernating Druid

Krogan in a glass tank, I know, I know, it's serious.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 15:53 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:
I was halfway through a mission that I just finished. I got a Krogan in a glass tank. How far am I? Also, it's fun. I've no idea why I stopped playing it. Can't remember at all.

Impossible to say. Its not entirely linear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:21 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:

The main missions are essentially to go around and recruit all your crew members, followed by a second mission per crew member to earn their loyalty. These are all interspersed with missions for Cerebrus that speak to the overall plot and aren't focussed on specific crew members. The second set of loyalty missions are optional and you can run straight for the end game without doing them, but doing so would not only rob you of half the game content but also mean your crew members don't get upgrades that make them more useful in battle.

The problem with working out progress is that the initial crew member recruitment and subsequent loyalty missions can be done in (almost) whatever order you want so, for instance, you might have chosen to get the Krogan as one of your first missions whereas someone else could do it as the last; so you'd be much further forward through the game even though you're both currently doing the same level.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:42 

Aye, gotcha! I'm about 15 hours in anyway. And I'm enjoying it. I really don't remember why I stopped playing it. I assumed I just got bored of it, but now I'm not sure. Probably some shiny shiny.

I still think the controls are clunky though. Getting into cover and moving around in combat is awful. But not awful enough to ruin it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:04 
Skillmeister

If you're playing on anything >normal difficulty, you'll really need to use your squad positioning orders. They'll take the weight of fire before you move around. Ir ay Gears ay it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:06 

I'm on "Veteran". Is down follow, up attack and left and right specific markers for each member?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 17:11 
Bad Girl

Dishwasher: Vampire Smile

Hard as nails on normal difficulty. It's one for the DmC/Ninja Gaiden crowd looking for some smacking and dodging action while trying to work out what the hell is happening on screen.

Very, um, decently good? Yeah, that'll do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 21:30 
UltraMod

London 2012 maxed. A highly surprisingly decent Olympic tie-in. Well done Sega Australia!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 

Really enjoying Gash Effect 2 now. Nearly 30 hours played and still a fair bit to do. Currently making my squad "loyal", although I lost the loyalty of the Australian bird because I sided with the bald tattoo bird. Will I still be able to get everyone to survive the suicide mission?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 
Hibernating Druid

I did.

But then I am the best at computer games.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:
Really enjoying Gash Effect 2 now. Nearly 30 hours played and still a fair bit to do. Currently making my squad "loyal", although I lost the loyalty of the Australian bird because I sided with the bald tattoo bird. Will I still be able to get everyone to survive the suicide mission?

You need everyone to be loyal in order for them all to survive the final mission. You can regain the loyalty of the character you went against in a later conversation if you've got enough paragon or renegade points apparently; but if you're swithering somewhere in the middle at that point then you're fucked unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:17 

I'll keep working on Paragon then. It's annoying that it's so black and white. I didn't want to be nice or evil - I was choosing the appropriate actions for each situation. It shouldn't force you to be a cunt or an angel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:
I'll keep working on Paragon then. It's annoying that it's so black and white. I didn't want to be nice or evil - I was choosing the appropriate actions for each situation. It shouldn't force you to be a cunt or an angel.

Aye, that was a bit of a failing. I played it 'realistically' for a while by making whatever decisions I felt right in any given situation but I think I noticed an achievement for getting either 100% Paragon or Renegade and just started taking Paragon decisions every time after that which pretty much ruined the whole mechanic. I was high enough paragon at the point of their argument to retain both loyalties, and I must've sided with Miranda given that it was her I ended up shagging.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 
Excellent Member

Also, from doing some buggering about on a wiki, I was reminded that there's another set of requirements aside from crew member loyalty that you need to complete before heading for the final mission if you want everyone to survive. I'm not going to mention the details unless you want me to but when you talk to various characters later in the game I think they'll heavily signpost what you need.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 16:08 

Just finished Red Dead Redemption. I did not expect that. Bloody good game though. Please make a second.

I can't finish gears of war. The RAAM keeps kicking my arse.

Reply to topic  [ 908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next