Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lost Thread - Spoiler caution
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 
Time Out for Fun

I'd imagine the bomb going off will reverse everything, surely if the plane never crashed and the following storylines didnt happen then they couldnt put the bomb into the hole anyway. So the first episode of the next season should be in a loop until some variable changes, some event we've seen already having a different ending. Maybe ben killing locke doesnt happen, or juliet doesnt set off the bomb.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
I'd imagine the bomb going off will reverse everything, surely if the plane never crashed and the following storylines didnt happen then they couldnt put the bomb into the hole anyway. So the first episode of the next season should be in a loop until some variable changes, some event we've seen already having a different ending. Maybe ben killing locke doesnt happen, or juliet doesnt set off the bomb.

OR, since the loop encompasses those thirty years, the next season is about the stuff going on after the loop, with Jacob and his 'buddy'.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 
Sleepyhead

Of course, since we actually know that at least some of the people standing directly next to the hydrogen bomb survived (Miles's Dad, for one), I fully expect to be disappointed when the new season starts.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:09 
Sitting balls-back folder

No, we know they survived the Incident. We don't know if the bomb or the drill was the Incident. So Chang might be dead next season.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 
it's all going to be a dream or something

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:58 
Time Out for Fun

BikNorton wrote:
No, we know they survived the Incident. We don't know if the bomb or the drill was the Incident. So Chang might be dead next season.

We dont know if they survived or not. I hadn't thought the white flash might have been the drill causing the incident rather than the bomb though.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:03 

Curio said we know Chang survived the original Incident, and I'm generally too confused and ill-equipped memory-wise to argue with that; my contribution is that we don't know if the nuke was (or contributed to in any way) that Incident. So yes, we don't know if they survived this version of the Incident or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 
Sleepyhead

BikNorton wrote:
Curio said we know Chang survived the original Incident, and I'm generally too confused and ill-equipped memory-wise to argue with that; my contribution is that we don't know if the nuke was (or contributed to in any way) that Incident. So yes, we don't know if they survived this version of the Incident or not.

But I'll put money on it being that they did. Dr Change was in the orientation videos for the site they built there, and in those he had a prosthetic hand. He lost his hand during the Jack-instigated shootout.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:06 

And he was only there at all because Miles convinced him to try and stop it. Er, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:16 
Sleepyhead

Correct!

Though, let's face it, Lost is absolutely shit at time travel, and should stick to other areas of mystery.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:23 
Yes, other areas of mystery are good.
Like polar bears, but I liked how so many questions got answered towards the end of this season.

But how come no-one ever bothered to investigate the statue where Jacob lived... they've known about it for ages...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:29 
Sleepyhead

The only question that got answered to my satisfaction was where Ben got his lists from. I'm still waiting on some vague explanation of Hurley's lottery win, bad luck and ability to see the dead. At least the smoke monster seems to be at least partially explained now, with the full explanation to come next series.

The timeline with regards to Ben killing the Dharma types seems odd at the moment, as does the actions of Richard to kill them all, unless he only does that under orders from Esau or something.

There's still a ton of questions to ask though. Are some people healed and others not healed due to the whims of Jacob, or is it the island, or what? Who the hell is Jacob? etc etc etc.

It's a little too religious at the moment for my liking, but it's still entertaining stuff, so I'll watch the last series too.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:42 

I liked how there was a painting with a polar bear on it in the cabin. Pets, or something?

Also: was the galleon Jacob and Esau were watching/attracting the Black Rock? (I vote yes, loose end tied up)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 13:44 
Time Out for Fun

I've just had a big discusison with my mate about this.

The scene near the start of the last episode between jacob dressed in white and pretty much his twin all dressed in black.
We've decided there something like the human embodiment of good vs evil, alas they cant kill each other directly being opposites or something. Thats why the evil one goes on about wanting to kill Jacob and that he will find a loophole in order to kill him.

Which is taking on other forms such as the smoke, locke, bens daughter, christian, all to form a scheme in which Ben will kill jacob for him. Now killing off 'good' cant be very healthy for the world so I'd imagine the events back in the 70's is going to be the thing that will stop Jacob getting killed.

But its hard to decide what happened at the hatch, either the bomb went off, or the incident happened, entirely plausible that both occured. I think the most plausible version to get to the present event of Jacob getting killed happens because the incident occurs, this explains why Richard says to sun that all the survivors died in the 70's, and also the ash around Jacobs hut could possibly be the remains of Rose and Bernard meaning the bomb didnt go off as they died on the island.

Only flaw with this is how Chang doesnt die.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:01 
I think the line of ashes is the fallout from the "incident" like how far it got to, thus destroying rose and bernard's hut.

I presume the ship was the black rock, but for some reason I think that richard and the others arrived on that ship...

Obvious Jacob/other guy, good vs evil etc..

The next season might start with the plane crashing again, but jack, kate, etc... knowing what they know now possibly so they can change it?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 14:52 
Sleepyhead

The questions for me are:

Why was Jacob visiting the survivors before they became survivors? He didn't have much of an effect on their lives (apart from Sayid, and that was AFTER the island, which is curious), so what was he doing there? The obvious answer is that he was guiding them throughout their lives to get on to the correct plane as they would be the ones to save him - playing the long game, as it were.

I'm pretty sure that even if Esau can't kill Jacob, there are easier ways to get someone to kill him than a plan spanning decades and possibly even centuries. Why bother with the Locke deception et al? Did it actually need to be Ben who killed Jacob? Is he in fact special?

How did Ricahrd come to be given his role? Since he was given that role and has been doing it for years, how come he seems so clueless about most things this series?

Bah! There's no way they'll make me happy with how they tie things up (or fail to do so). I just hope it's entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:35 
Time Out for Fun

Maybe it took Esau so long to convince Richard to show where Jacob was. he seemed reluctant even when Locke was seemingly a messiah figure.

I've got a feeling Richard is from the black rock.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 16:55 

Curiosity wrote:
He didn't have much of an effect on their lives (apart from Sayid, and that was AFTER the island, which is curious), so what was he doing there?
He appeared to bring Locke back to life after his little tumble. He did appear to convince Hurley to return to the island, too.

Richard/Ricardvs being from the Black Rock would fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 17:02 
I liked Jacob.

But I don't think we've seen the end of him

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 
Sleepyhead

BikNorton wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
He didn't have much of an effect on their lives (apart from Sayid, and that was AFTER the island, which is curious), so what was he doing there?
He appeared to bring Locke back to life after his little tumble. He did appear to convince Hurley to return to the island, too.

Richard/Ricardvs being from the Black Rock would fit.

Good call, at least on Hurley. Not sure about Locke, but it's possible.

All he gave Jack was a candy bar! I'd have preferred it if Jacob had sneakily miracle-cured the woman Jack ended up marrying.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 

When Jacob clasped Locke's shoulder, John suddenly inhaled and opened his eyes. I took that to mean John had been (on the verge of) dead.

Either that or he was lying there thinking "Jesus Christ everything hurts" and then being grabbed by the shoulder he was all "Gah, that really fucking hurts, what cunt is touching me?!"

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 16:05 

Just watched this.

It does seem as if Jacob and the anti-Jacob are locked in some sort of long running battle. It did feel a little like it was God and the Devil, with Esau (I just read where this name came from -- it was Jacob's Biblical twin brother, neat) using trickery and deception to defeat some set of rules that locked him in place. The black/white thing goes waaaay back to the very beginning too. I remember Locke playing Go on the beach in episode 2 or 3, with a lingering shot of the black and white pieces. (Wrong, it was backgammon: pic)

Dr Chang definitely has a prosthetic hand, so I'm leaning towards the bomb going off not stopping the Incident - or causing it... I loved Miles's monologue on that. Particularly in light of the fact that Ben turned out to be the manipulative shit he is because Sayid shot him and he ended up being healed by the Hostiles. Anyway, that means Juliet is really dead and Sayid is bleeding out, but not dead. They said there would be a major character death this season and Juliet was the character who's arc was most mapped out.

Not clear at all on how Ilana and her mob fit in to things, other than they seem to be working for Jacob.

I am sure the galleon that Jacob and the anti-Jacob watch approach the Island is the Black Pearl. Their dialog there ties into the God/Devil archetypes also. I like the idea of Richard coming from there, too. It was a Spanish ship, right?

Interesting trivia from Lostopedia:
Quote:
Every item given back to Hurley upon leaving prison is one that Jacob gave to a character in a flashback: money for Kate's lunchbox, a pen for Sawyer, and candy for Jack.
I can't think what that means, but it seems unlikely to be a coincidence; a random thing put in to drive the fanboys nuts, I'd wager.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 16:47 
EvilTrousers

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I am sure the galleon that Jacob and the anti-Jacob watch approach the Island is the Black Pearl.

There's a crossover I don't want to see.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 16:55 

Trousers wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I am sure the galleon that Jacob and the anti-Jacob watch approach the Island is the Black Pearl.
There's a crossover I don't want to see.
Ooops. Hahaha! Although it does look like Richard is permanently wearing eyeliner, maybe that's why?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 17:23 

More from http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Inc ... 2/Theories
Quote:
As related to the influence of "The Stand"

As is sometimes forgot, the writers have acknowledged influence from Stephen King's "The Stand" (to the point of saying a copy is always in the writing room). So note some elements from the The Incident that relate to it:

1. It involves a science experiment gone awry. Radzenski's (sp?) zealous drilling...Gen. Starkey's "Project Blue" super-flu development.

2. Jacob and "Nemesis", two figures representing opposing forces of good and evil. Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg (the Walking Dude).

3. Late into "The Stand", Mother Abigail dies, leaving the Boulder Free Zoners leaderless. Jacob dies in "The Incident" apparently leaving The Others and Richard leaderless.

4. Lloyd Henreid, servant of Randall Flagg, shoots Glen Bateman at the behest of Flagg, himself unable to. Ben kills Jacob at the behest of "Nemesis", who cannot do it himself.

5. A small group of the Free Zoners must travel to Vegas "on faith" to stop Flagg (Stu Redmon, Glen Bateman, Larry Underwood, Ralph Brentner). Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid must travel to the Island (as Jack believes) to stop the Incident "on faith".

6. There are infiltrators or attempted infiltrators in Flagg's Vegas...Tom Cullen, Dayna Jurgens, and Judge Ferris. Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, and Jin infiltrate Dharma-ville.

7. One of the infiltrators (Judge Ferris) is killed by a dumb security guard. Sayid is apparently fatally wounded by Roger Linus.

and 8. Most importantly.....the end of the "Bad Guys" in "The Stand" comes with the detonation of a nuclear weapon
This is interesting. I haven't read The Stand. Has anyone?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 18:52 
Sleepyhead

I watched the mini-series of it, which was entertaining, until the final scene was ended by (and I'm not kidding...)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The Giant National Lottery Finger (from when it started) floated down and killed all the bad guys

I like Lost. I think it's very entertaining and has had some of the best episodes and moments of recent television. It is, also, at times terrible.

Sadly, things like this just make me say, "Well, get your own fucking ideas and stop plagiarising someone else!"

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 20:17 
Can you dig it?

I read The Stand when I was about 15ish. It was a great book, one of my faves, but I am quite partial to the sort of post-apocalyptic and 'journey' type story.

The ending flows a lot better in the book, curio. The film/series thing was really enjoyable too, but it was a bit rushed as the book is pretty long.

I really recommend the book, in fact I might read it again. As it was more than ten years ago I've probably forgotten some of the really good bits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 17:06 
Can you dig it?

I can't wait for the French version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 14:42 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

First few minutes of the new season are available online:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43811

I'm rather looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 21:47 

http://twitter.com/sirilyan/status/8551577760

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 14:45 

Just watched first two episodes. No idea what's going on. Normal service is resumed. :)

Well, apart from
The alternative "if the plane hadn't crashed reality", not sure how much further they're going to go with that, but pretty much everyone on that plane was travelling to a miserable life (or at least something horrible they had to do). Weird how some things seemed to change, that you wouldn't expect to be affected by the hatch not existing. Why was Desmond on the plane (and where did he go), why did Hurley go to Australia if not to find out where the numbers came from (presumably he wouldn't care if they weren't giving him all that trouble).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 20:13 
Time Out for Fun

Joans wrote:
Just watched first two episodes. No idea what's going on. Normal service is resumed. :)

Well, apart from
The alternative "if the plane hadn't crashed reality", not sure how much further they're going to go with that, but pretty much everyone on that plane was travelling to a miserable life (or at least something horrible they had to do). Weird how some things seemed to change, that you wouldn't expect to be affected by the hatch not existing. Why was Desmond on the plane (and where did he go), why did Hurley go to Australia if not to find out where the numbers came from (presumably he wouldn't care if they weren't giving him all that trouble).

I have a feeling the start of the alternative reality might be what happens when the story on the island is finished.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 20:14 
Time Out for Fun

Also

Where the fuck was Eko on the plane?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 20:30 

Runcle wrote:
Also

Where the fuck was Eko on the plane?

He was in the toilet with all the other actors/actresses they couldn't get back.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 0:43 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Well that was splendid, splendid in a batshit crazy, what the effs going on kinda way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 
Unpossible!

WOO NEW LOST YEAH!

I read a few months ago that they were coming up with a new timey-wimey gimmick to replace the flash forward/backs of the older series but I didn't expect parallel universes.

Let's look at a few things:

1. Differences in the passengers - No Boyd sister (name escapes me), a happy Hurley, Charlie trying to kill himself (although I suspect that was so Dominic Monagonahagn could simply do a cameo and then bugger off to prison), Jack and others being noticeably older (I'm sure Jack realised this when he looked in the mirror) and with different hair (Jack had a buzz cut in series one, and I think Sawyer's hair was short). This indicates that the changes reach further than the crash.

2. Time difference - Lost has always run on a weird timescale, with each episode roughly equating to one day on the island. This puts the end of series 4, when Ben moved the island, in early 2005. The survivors then live for 3 years in the real world and head back to the island. Resetting the timeline to the crash drags them back to 2004, whilst the 'other' universe has them still in 2009 (?)

3. John Locke is dead and alive (and sort of alive) at the same time, as is Boyd, Charlie presumably Juliet and countless others we haven't seen yet. This is going to cause problems I suspect.

4. The island is underwater (with some pretty fucking shoddy CGI I might add). Why? Did it sink? I presume the atomic blast was nullified by the magnetic doobries, but why has it sunk in the 30 (?) years since the incident?

Hey look ^^ loads more questions and very few answers. Strap yourselves in fellas, this is gonna be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 14:54 
Excellent Member

I really enjoyed those first two episodes - kind of surprised me as I thought that season 5 was dire.

I also have a soft spot for those moments when the episodes are allowed to 'breathe'; the action stops, the quiet music starts up and you have those moments when the camera lingers on certain key characters and their reactions to others. Especially enjoyed those particular moments on the plane in the first episode.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Episode 4 is splendid. Do the makers realise that episodes that focus on Kate or Jack are rubbish and those that focus on Hugo and Locke are great...MORE HUGO AND LOCKE pleasing you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 13:30 
Unpossible!

Jack and Kate are *boring*.

At least Kate is nice to look at, even with her insistence on frowning all the fucking time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 14:37 
Excellent Painter

I've never watched this, so this is *ahem* lost on me. You bunch of saddos might like it.
Lost locations as a subway map

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 15:38 

I've been watching Lost since it started and seeing that map and having a look at the Lost wiki makes it seem overwhelmingly complex and convulted even for me!

That latest episode with Locke and Sawyer was Lost at it's very best.

I'm glad we're getting more exploration into the Black & White themes of the first season, and it's pretty clear now that Jacob = white and nemesis/Locke/smoke monster = black.

Also, I'm assuming that the 'Kwon' mentioned as a candidate must be Jin, as there are no other female survivors named. So you've got Sawyer, Jack, Hurley, Sayid and Locke named, but no Kate, no Claire and no Rose (if you consider her to be a central character)

My brother informs me we have an episode coming up shortly that explains Richard Alpert's backstory, which I'm hoping should be fairly good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 17:29 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Zio wrote:
My brother informs me we have an episode coming up shortly that explains Richard Alpert's backstory, which I'm hoping should be fairly good.

Cool...as time goes on I've got more and more sympathy for Richard, he was presented initially as a shadowy figure with all the answers and now he's constantly got a 'What the fuck is going on' look on his face.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 17:44 
Can you dig it?

Juliet is way hotter than Kate.

We've seen episode 3 of the new series, we're watching it on Sky. I am, for the most part, following it but my understanding doesn't really cover enough to answer some of the questions Lady T asks. Feels like a long time ago it all started.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 17:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sir Taxalot wrote:

So banned your children's childrens' children are banned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 0:54 
Time Out for Fun

Craster wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

So banned your children's childrens' children are banned.

I prefer Claire.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 
Unpossible!

Juliet was beautiful in 'Frequency', when she was young anyway.

Watched episode 4 last night. We do seem to be getting somewhere, don't we?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:46 
Unpossible!

Wait. If Jacob affected the 'candidates' as children (Sawyer and Kate at least) and they changed the timeline in 1977 (presumably after Jabcob 'touched' Sawyer) then surely the affect have already been felt?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 

DavPaz wrote:
Wait. If Jacob affected the 'candidates' as children (Sawyer and Kate at least) and they changed the timeline in 1977 (presumably after Jabcob 'touched' Sawyer) then surely the affect have already been felt?

All Jacob was doing was guiding them to go to the island. And Kate is not one of the candidates. The candidates again were Locke, Ford (Sawyer), Reyes (Hurley), Sheppard (Jack), Jarrah (Sayid) and Kwon (Jin or Sun - I reckon Jin)

I watched the episode again last night with a friend and couldn't help but notice during the cave scene that there are gaps in the wall with something behind them, and a red light at one point. Maybe it's just a really shonky set and what I saw was the backstage area, but Lost usually seems to be made much more carefully than that. There was also a ladder going up to another area of the cave if you look closely.

I bet some of the crossed-out names could be interesting too. I definitely saw the name 'Faraday' crossed out and the name 'Troup' (Gary Troup is mentioned in some of the 'Lost Experience' bobbins as an author that presumably died in the Oceanic crash).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 
Unpossible!

Troup 'wrote' the novel that Sawyer was reading in manuscript form in S1. He was the guy sucked into the engine in the pilot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 23:49 
Sleepyhead

A bit disappointed with the series so far. No real ZOMG WOW! moments thus far. Entertaining enough, but the new timeline in non-crash-ville is dull.

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next