Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 13:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 23:28 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 26129
Location: Kidbrooke
If you fancy some modern stuff:

Nothing But Thieves - Amsterdam
Declan McKenna - Brazil
Will Joseph Cook - Take Me Dancing
Glass Animals - Life Itself
Man & The Echo - Distance Runner
Rat Boy - Laid Back
Sundara Karma - Explore
Marsicans - Far Away (Saudade)
Los Campesinos! - Renato Dall'Ara (2008)
Ezra Furman - Lousy Connection

Most from this year, and largely in keeping with the genres in the tracklisting you have there.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10270
Cheers Curio I'll give those a try :)

I'm very much aware that a lot of the selection is sort of what you'd expect from a bloke in his early 40s and that could do with being addressed.

Radio 6 is excellent for getting to hear new stuff, or rather, it was, until one day the news came on whilst Jnr was in the room and she heard something that really upset her and now I can't have Radio 6 on whilst she's around, and since we're usually in the same room that's pretty much knocked Radio 6 on the head.

I mean, why have a graphic report about a woman getting her throat slit open in the middle of a fucking afternoon fucking radio show?

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1612
I too will check out this recommendations, thanks Curiosity. Was already a big fan of Lousy Connection (love those rolling trumpet parps) so will check out others.

Weirdly, we had the Chopley playlist on heavy rotation during our holiday in France. I'd say I enjoyed about 50% of it, which isn't a bad hit rate. Could do without being reminded of the Cardigans, though.

My (not at all leftfield but nevertheless excellent) jukebox additions to the list would be:

Fight Like Apes - Something Global
Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Pet Shop Boys - Always on My Mind
Erasure - A Little Respect
Beastie Boys - Skills to Pay the Bills
Super Furry Animals - Chupacabras
The Hold Steady - Same Kooks
Nena - 99 Luftballoons
Aztec Camera - Somewhere in My Heart
Smashing Pumpkins - Jellybelly
Fuck Buttons - Brainfreeze


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 
User avatar

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 7954
Findus Fop wrote:
I too will check out this recommendations, thanks Curiosity. Was already a big fan of Lousy Connection (love those rolling trumpet parps) so will check out others.

Weirdly, we had the Chopley playlist on heavy rotation during our holiday in France. I'd say I enjoyed about 50% of it, which isn't a bad hit rate. Could do without being reminded of the Cardigans, though.

My (not at all leftfield but nevertheless excellent) jukebox additions to the list would be:

Fight Like Apes - Something Global
Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Pet Shop Boys - Always on My Mind
Erasure - A Little Respect
Beastie Boys - Skills to Pay the Bills
Super Furry Animals - Chupacabras
The Hold Steady - Same Kooks
Nena - 99 Luftballoons
Aztec Camera - Somewhere in My Heart
Smashing Pumpkins - Jellybelly
Fuck Buttons - Brainfreeze


Chupacabras was always my song of choice when you had slightly too long a gap at the end of one side of a tape. [/old]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1612
Joans wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
I too will check out this recommendations, thanks Curiosity. Was already a big fan of Lousy Connection (love those rolling trumpet parps) so will check out others.

Weirdly, we had the Chopley playlist on heavy rotation during our holiday in France. I'd say I enjoyed about 50% of it, which isn't a bad hit rate. Could do without being reminded of the Cardigans, though.

My (not at all leftfield but nevertheless excellent) jukebox additions to the list would be:

Fight Like Apes - Something Global
Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Pet Shop Boys - Always on My Mind
Erasure - A Little Respect
Beastie Boys - Skills to Pay the Bills
Super Furry Animals - Chupacabras
The Hold Steady - Same Kooks
Nena - 99 Luftballoons
Aztec Camera - Somewhere in My Heart
Smashing Pumpkins - Jellybelly
Fuck Buttons - Brainfreeze


Chupacabras was always my song of choice when you had slightly too long a gap at the end of one side of a tape. [/old]


Nice! There should be a neologism for that (albeit 20 years too late).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 19:26 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10270
Findus Fop wrote:
Weirdly, we had the Chopley playlist on heavy rotation during our holiday in France. I'd say I enjoyed about 50% of it, which isn't a bad hit rate. Could do without being reminded of the Cardigans, though.


Yeah but who didn't fancy Nina Persson? Plus they had that cool video for My Favourite Game (which MTV only showed the uncut version of after 11pm IIRC).

Any particular lowlights/highlights from the list? I'm always interested to hear what other people think of music.

And thanks for your suggestions too, I'll add them to the FRIDAY NIGHT BUCKIE JUKEBOX, which I think is when music is best appraised. (Although several of your artists are already on the list and their tracks have been considered. Like, if Smashing Pumpkins have done a better track than 'Stand Inside Your Love' I've never heard it.)

_________________
He called us a mob, let's kill him!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 21:00 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45734
I loved My Favourite Game, mostly down to it being on the Gran Turismo soundtrack

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 23:01 

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 1471
I done this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 3065
Cras wrote:
I loved My Favourite Game, mostly down to it being on the Gran Turismo soundtrack


Good track. I like that song Nina did with the Manics 'Your love alone'.

The Feeder tracks Just a Day and Buck Rogers still do this day remind me of GT3 on the PS2. Good times.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:42 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 3065
Nik wrote:
I done this.


Oh, that looks good, just scanning through a few tracks now, think I'll be sticking this on (properly) later. Nice :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:05 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49187
Location: Nottingham
So, I got a 24mo Premium sub to this with my phone contract. Started adding all my library to it so I can cancel my Apple Music sub... but yet I've only got up to D (Dead Kennedys in fact) and it's told me my library is now full! So I look it up and there's a 10k song limit. I mean...what? Why? It's not like I'm uploading or downloading all these songs and causing strain on their servers. How on earth does it make a difference how many songs I have added to my library? Infuriating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:21 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9950
Location: Sunny Stoke
Lonewolves wrote:
So, I got a 24mo Premium sub to this with my phone contract. Started adding all my library to it so I can cancel my Apple Music sub... but yet I've only got up to D (Dead Kennedys in fact) and it's told me my library is now full! So I look it up and there's a 10k song limit. I mean...what? Why? It's not like I'm uploading or downloading all these songs and causing strain on their servers. How on earth does it make a difference how many songs I have added to my library? Infuriating.


This might sound like a stupid question, but are you adding all these files locally? Isn't most of it available on Spotify already so that you can just search and create playlists?

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:36 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49187
Location: Nottingham
devilman wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
So, I got a 24mo Premium sub to this with my phone contract. Started adding all my library to it so I can cancel my Apple Music sub... but yet I've only got up to D (Dead Kennedys in fact) and it's told me my library is now full! So I look it up and there's a 10k song limit. I mean...what? Why? It's not like I'm uploading or downloading all these songs and causing strain on their servers. How on earth does it make a difference how many songs I have added to my library? Infuriating.


This might sound like a stupid question, but are you adding all these files locally? Isn't most of it available on Spotify already so that you can just search and create playlists?

Nope, I'm adding them to the "Your Music" library section. There is a limit to offline files at 3,333, which is more understandable.

There is some chat about it here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-I ... i-p/733759

Spotify seem to justify it by saying only 1% of users are affected, but surely those are power users who are more likely than not to be big music aficinados. It's just really silly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:44 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45734
How much of it isn't already on Spotify?

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 0:23 
User avatar
Can you dig it?

Joined: 5th Apr, 2008
Posts: 3065
Is there a limit to the number of tracks you can have in your playlist(s)?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 0:34 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49187
Location: Nottingham
Cras wrote:
How much of it isn't already on Spotify?

It's all Spotify stuff so far, I haven't even begun to add the stuff that's not on there. Gaywood came up with an idea that has helped though. Instead of adding every album I want into the library, I can just follow the artist and it does somewhat the same thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:23 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45734
What I mean though is that surely the my files thing is for adding tracks that aren't already on Spotify? If they're already there what's the value in adding them?

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:12 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3141
Had this for a while as got a year free when I upgraded my wife's phone deal

Never going back :) I now have it as the primary music service on the Echo. I will still have the smaller Amazon Prime music library as that is lumped with Prime.

I've moved all my MP3's on the NAS to some hard drives as its no longer worth the hassle of tagging them.

Love the play lists, we have been watching a show called Snowfall that is set in the 1980's just as crack cocaine starts to become a big issue.

It has great music and I just searched for the show and there was all the music from the in a playlist

First paid service that does everything I want :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3141
Cras wrote:
What I mean though is that surely the my files thing is for adding tracks that aren't already on Spotify? If they're already there what's the value in adding them?


I have a small requirement for that :) I rip a lot of kids stuff like Mr Men Shows from YouTube that my son likes to listen to.

With the Prime Music you can upload 250 tracks so I use this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 15:19 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49187
Location: Nottingham
Cras wrote:
What I mean though is that surely the my files thing is for adding tracks that aren't already on Spotify? If they're already there what's the value in adding them?

Because otherwise you're just either shuffling music or searching for who you want to listen to. I like to have a collection I can browse through.

However Gaywood has offered an alternative which seems to work so it's all good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 15:24 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9950
Location: Sunny Stoke
I tend to just create a playlist by artist and drag all their albums on to it. Occasionally I'll group stuff together like this one which has a lot of Rock Band/Guitar Hero tracks, and a heavy and quiet playlists depending on my mood. I rather like Spotify's Music for concentration playlist too.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 15:46 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42919
Location: The erogenous zone
Lonewolves wrote:
However Gaywood has offered an alternative which seems to work so it's all good.


Image

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 15:45 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42764
Location: West Yorkshire
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Monster is such a fucking brilliant album.

I pretty much just listen to this when I'm in an R.E.M. mood. Or Automatic.


Yes, I think Monster got a lukewarm reception as it wasn't Automatic. I look forward tonthoa diacussion with the pair of you tomorrow


Listened to Up! The other day. It's terrible.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1612
Anyone listened to their Spotify Time Capsule? A playlist created by Spotify playing the music you loved as a teenager.

Weirdly accurate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:19 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9950
Location: Sunny Stoke
Findus Fop wrote:
Anyone listened to their Spotify Time Capsule? A playlist created by Spotify playing the music you loved as a teenager.

Weirdly accurate.


My list wasn't too far off. I grew up listening to Queen, Metallica and a bit of Pantera which all feature, but there's also some of the stuff that my brother would subject me too like Primal Scream and the Stone Roses.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 32582
Mine's pretty good apart from starting with 2 disney songs :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:29 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42919
Location: The erogenous zone
Title

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9950
Location: Sunny Stoke
DavPaz wrote:
Mine's pretty good apart from starting with 2 disney songs :D



I think the only real outliers in my list are Suicidal Tendencies' 'Go'n Breakdown', which I'd never even heard of till last year and some Phil Collins and Enya stuff, well, for obvious reasons.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 16:57 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15601
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Findus Fop wrote:
Anyone listened to their Spotify Time Capsule? A playlist created by Spotify playing the music you loved as a teenager.

Weirdly accurate.

Not even remotely accurate for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 17:07 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5126
Mine's pretty good actually, apart from the one Woodie Guthrie song which snuck in along with all the Stone Temple Pilots and Faith No More.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Greys, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.