Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Changing the hard drive on an Xbox
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 22:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Has anyone who is excellent to each other done this?

I'm thinking about changing mine to a bigger version so I can play games straight off the hard disk but most of the tutorials seem rock hard!

I have already soft modded the Xbox so it does a load of funky stuff. Can anyone offer any advice/help?

Post subject: Re: Changing the hard drive on an Xbox
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 22:52 
Vile.

TheVision wrote:

I'm thinking about changing mine to a bigger version so I can play games straight off the hard disk but most of the tutorials seem rock hard!

I have already soft modded the Xbox so it does a load of funky stuff. Can anyone offer any advice/help?

Yes, I've done it, then I moved back to my original... there are guides on xbox-scene (I think), and they aren't too hard. I managed to follow one, and I can't remember where I learnt how to, nor how to do it again.

Though I did it twice...

I think I used the xlinux boot cd to format and had the serial number of my original hard drive so that I could pretend it was that one, and then 'lock it' to the xbox.

For some reason, mine wouldn't retain save games for Outrun 2006 and so I went 'pah!' and as I was streaming most of my vids from my PC thanks to xbmc, ended up with a redundant 160 gig drive inside the 'box' which could have served a higher purpose in my PC.

Gash
x

p.s. sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a little refreshed!

Edited because I'm a Joey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Remedial_Gash wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes, I've done it, then I moved back to my original... there are guides on xbox-scene (I think), and they aren't too hard. I managed to follow one, and I can't remember where I learnt how to, nor how to do it again.

Though I did it twice...

I think I used the xlinux boot cd to format and had the serial number of my original hard drive so that I could pretend it was that one, and then 'lock it' to the xbox.

For some reason, mine wouldn't retain save games for Outrun 2006 and so I went 'pah!' and as I was streaming most of my vids from my PC thanks to xbmc, ended up with a redundant 160 gig drive inside the 'box' which could have served a higher purpose in my PC.

Gash
x

p.s. sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a little refreshed!

Edited because I'm a Joey.

Bless ya for answering me with your first post!! You're a good un..

Hmmm.. problems with save points.. and come to think of it, I have XBMC so I'll probably be streaming stuff from my PC. You've made some good points there and I think this may end up being one of those things that I'll do, just because I can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:11 
Vile.

TheVision wrote:
Bless ya for answering me with your first post!! You're a good un..

Hmmm.. problems with save points.. and come to think of it, I have XBMC so I'll probably be streaming stuff from my PC. You've made some good points there and I think this may end up being one of those things that I'll do, just because I can.

Don't get me wrong, it worked for everything else... Ninja Gaiden Black, Rocky, countless emulators... but the Outrun thing really pissed me off.

I should've just stuck to the 40 gig drive, which held enough games/emus/thingies but the box seem to radge it, and after a while I rescued my 160gig drive for streaming purposes.

It ain't hard, and it's definitely worth doing man.

Gash
x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:26 

I've done this literally dozens of times for mates. If you Xbox is chipped/flashed, and you don't ever take it online, you don't need to do the BIOS locking thing RG is on about. You just FTP all the stuff on your old Xbox onto a PC over the network, swap the disks, boot the Xbox from a prepared EvoX boot DVD, use that to format the new disk, start it's FTP server, copy the hard disk contents back over from the PC, remove the EvoX DVD, and reboot.

And if it goes wrong just put the original disk back and you're golden.

More details here.

Filling the disk up with games and emus is awesome. I'd definitely recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:33 
Vile.

richardgaywood wrote:
I've done this literally dozens of times for mates. If you Xbox is chipped/flashed, and you don't ever take it online, you don't need to do the BIOS locking thing RG is on about. You just FTP all the stuff on your old Xbox onto a PC over the network, swap the disks, boot the Xbox from a prepared EvoX boot DVD, use that to format the new disk, start it's FTP server, copy the hard disk contents back over from the PC, remove the EvoX DVD, and reboot.

And if it goes wrong just put the original disk back and you're golden.

More details here.

Filling the disk up with games and emus is awesome. I'd definitely recommend it.

You're absolutely correct man, but he mentioned soft-mod, and the one I did was via the hot-swap method, so went through all the rigmarole.

Gash
x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:53 

Softmoddded boxes don't need to do the BIOS lock thing unless you are dual booting the modded BIOS with the default one to play games on Live. If you only ever want to boot the modded BIOS you can leave the hard disk as stock -- certainly I did in all the Xboxes I modded for people. I've never had to do the IDE locking messing about, which is a PITA I understand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 0:13 
Vile.

richardgaywood wrote:
Softmoddded boxes don't need to do the BIOS lock thing unless you are dual booting the modded BIOS with the default one to play games on Live. If you only ever want to boot the modded BIOS you can leave the hard disk as stock -- certainly I did in all the Xboxes I modded for people. I've never had to do the IDE locking messing about, which is a PITA I understand.

I'm not trying to piss on your pants, but as far as I'm concerned, whatever mod I did left the bios untouched.

I had none of the games available nor an action replay, so I (after following instructions) booted the xbox with HD connected via molex to my pc (for power), and IDE to xbox, which apparently unlocls the HD, then I swapped the IDE cable from the xbox one to my secondary PC one, then booted off the linux disk mentioned above. It re-wrote the HD with Evo-x, re-locked the thing and from then on I was using the stock HD..

Any other interaction with the HD was done via FTP.

Done thrice.

Gash
x

p.s. Obviously if you had a chip or the trad soft mod stuff you'd have flashed the bios, all I've ever done is pure soft mod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 0:20 

Ohhh, I see. Yes, you did something quite different to me. My standard procedure was to bridge some pins on the main flash package on the motherboard with conductive paint, load 007:Agent Under Fire, load a special savegame which exploited a buffer overflow and booted a Linux terminal. Use that terminal to reflash the TSOP with a hacked BIOS, usually EvoX, and away you go. This is a much more permanent hack than what you did which (IIRC) leaves the standard Xbox BIOS in place and injects the EvoX dashboard in through an exploit in the font manager. That ring any bells? Messing with .FOT files?

Yes, your setup requires the IDE locking stuff to be in place. Bit awkward, compared to what I used to do, but you get to maintain Live! support if you are careful, which can be a real bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 0:32 
Vile.

richardgaywood wrote:
Ohhh, I see. Yes, you did something quite different to me. My standard procedure was to bridge some pins on the main flash package on the motherboard with conductive paint, load 007:Agent Under Fire, load a special savegame which exploited a buffer overflow and booted a Linux terminal. Use that terminal to reflash the TSOP with a hacked BIOS, usually EvoX, and away you go. This is a much more permanent hack than what you did which (IIRC) leaves the standard Xbox BIOS in place and injects the EvoX dashboard in through an exploit in the font manager. That ring any bells? Messing with .FOT files?

Yes, your setup requires the IDE locking stuff to be in place. Bit awkward, compared to what I used to do, but you get to maintain Live! support if you are careful, which can be a real bonus.

Yeah, it's pissing with fonts and the defualt xbe thing, tbh, I've no clue, but it worked once, and when I changed HDs (twice) had to bugger around (twice).

As I say, not very standard but it works... eventually.

Gash
x

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]